moparts member
Dart 340  Offline OP
moparts member
D

Snowing in the north!
Hey guys, my 1st gear was popping out unless I hold
the shift lever forward. I adjusted the linkage to
the end of the threads and now it feels like it
"half way" engages. All the other gears are fine. Would this be a tranny issue or a shifter issue.
Second works great and that on the same rod so I am
thinking it's something in the gear box.

Thoughts?

Re: A833 first gear issues. [Re: Dart 340] #60818
05/21/08 09:04 AM
05/21/08 09:04 AM
Nova Scotia
G
gearbanger Offline
gearbanger  Offline
G

Nova Scotia
Not sure I understand. If you can get it in first gear and it jumps out, then 1-2 syncro is probably shot. If you're not even getting it in gear, it's probably the shifter. Take the shift rod off the lever on the side cover of the tranny and see if you can engage first any better that way.

Re: A833 first gear issues. [Re: gearbanger] #60819
05/21/08 09:32 AM
05/21/08 09:32 AM
South Park, Pa.
68LAR Offline
master
68LAR  Offline
master

South Park, Pa.
Quote:

Not sure I understand. If you can get it in first gear and it jumps out, then 1-2 syncro is probably shot. If you're not even getting it in gear, it's probably the shifter. Take the shift rod off the lever on the side cover of the tranny and see if you can engage first any better that way.

Also, if the transmission is old and not been rebuilt, the 1st-2nd shifting fork, if Brass, may be worn on the first gear side and not pushing the slider all the way into first gear. Your shift lever for 1st and 2nd may be loose. The shifter may not be adjusted properly, or there is a clearance problem with it. Just some suggestions. Good luck.

4 speed street legal. Best time 10.99 @ 124 mph on 93 octane pump gas @ 3926# total weight
Re: A833 first gear issues. [Re: gearbanger] #60820
05/21/08 10:40 AM
05/21/08 10:40 AM
Snowing in the north!
D
Dart 340 Offline OP
moparts member
Dart 340  Offline OP
moparts member
D

Snowing in the north!
Quote:

Let me clarify:
First gear would not stay in gear and felt only
partially engaged. I adjusted the neutral position
on the hurst shifter then dropped the 1-2 rod and
adjusted that. I am out of threads on the adjustment. Second gear works and engages fine. First still only feels like it is half way in, but it will stay in gear now. It's hard to fell first
engagement under the car using a wrench to turn the 1-2 shaft so I am wondering if it's the linkage bend is off and needs to be shortened more
or increase threads as second gear still works great, or if it might be in the syncs or a gear.

Re: A833 first gear issues. [Re: Dart 340] #60821
05/21/08 11:56 AM
05/21/08 11:56 AM
South Park, Pa.
68LAR Offline
master
68LAR  Offline
master

South Park, Pa.
Quote:

adjusted that. I am out of threads on the adjustment. Second gear works and engages fine. First still only feels like it is half way in, but it will stay in gear now. It's hard to fell first
engagement under the car using a wrench to turn the 1-2 shaft so I am wondering if it's the linkage bend is off and needs to be shortened more
or increase threads as second gear still works great, or if it might be in the syncs or a gear.

Sounds to me that you have eliminated the trans as the problem. Now you have to find out what is binding or hitting with the shifter. Look at the bottom of the shifter with the trans in first gear. See if the shifter arm is touching the inside of shifter housing. Look for the shift rod binding or touching the transmission side cover or another shift rod. You've eliminated the expensive part, now it should be a "no cost" adjustment.

4 speed street legal. Best time 10.99 @ 124 mph on 93 octane pump gas @ 3926# total weight
Re: A833 first gear issues. [Re: Dart 340] #60822
05/21/08 12:15 PM
05/21/08 12:15 PM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Quote:

Quote:

Let me clarify:
adjusted that.
I am out of threads on the adjustment. Second gear works and engages fine. First still only feels like it is half way in, but it will stay in gear now. It's hard to fell first

please clarify ...

how did you ADJUST the neutral position ?

Re: A833 first gear issues. [Re: JohnRR] #60823
05/21/08 12:59 PM
05/21/08 12:59 PM
Snowing in the north!
D
Dart 340 Offline OP
moparts member
Dart 340  Offline OP
moparts member
D

Snowing in the north!
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Let me clarify:
adjusted that.
I am out of threads on the adjustment. Second gear works and engages fine. First still only feels like it is half way in, but it will stay in gear now. It's hard to fell first

please clarify ...

how did you ADJUST the neutral position ?

The hurst shifter has a pin slot. You run the pin through all arms and it centers the neutral position. Then take all arms down and verify they are also in neutral position. If not, adjust and reinstall rods. I did this, but am out of adjustment on the 1-2 lever. Perhaps I need to remove the lever all the way and tweak the bend a little more. There is no binding and the hurst arms are not hitting anything. Clearance is good. Thats why I am thinking it is something in the trans or the shift rod is not the right one.

Re: A833 first gear issues. [Re: Dart 340] #60824
05/21/08 01:59 PM
05/21/08 01:59 PM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
ok , it sounded like you adjusted the locked neutral position , i didn't think you did though .

the levers are pretty different in length between the body styles so haveing one from a different body style fitting is not really going to be the issue but stranger things have happened .

is the lever on the trans end on properly ? meaning take it off and flip it over , the slot where it goes on the trans is many times angled and it will put the lever if an offset position , or maybe you have an incorrect trans lever ?

oh , what car and what trans , std ratios or OD ???

Last edited by Johnrr; 05/21/08 02:00 PM.
Re: A833 first gear issues. [Re: Dart 340] #60825
05/21/08 02:09 PM
05/21/08 02:09 PM
Nova Scotia
G
gearbanger Offline
gearbanger  Offline
G

Nova Scotia
You must make sure that the 1-2 shift lever on the side cover of the tranny is physically able to engage first gear all the way. It may take someone pushing the clutch, while you fight with it under the car or even rotating the back wheels at the same time. If this doesn't work, never mind the shifter. The problem is something already mentioned

Re: A833 first gear issues. [Re: JohnRR] #60826
05/21/08 02:21 PM
05/21/08 02:21 PM
Snowing in the north!
D
Dart 340 Offline OP
moparts member
Dart 340  Offline OP
moparts member
D

Snowing in the north!
Quote:

ok , it sounded like you adjusted the locked neutral position , i didn't think you did though .

the levers are pretty different in length between the body styles so haveing one from a different body style fitting is not really going to be the issue but stranger things have happened .

is the lever on the trans end on properly ? meaning take it off and flip it over , the slot where it goes on the trans is many times angled and it will put the lever if an offset position , or maybe you have an incorrect trans lever ?

oh , what car and what trans , std ratios or OD ???

I'll look at the slot again. I dont know if it's the stock hurst or not. Someone changed from the ball shifter to a pistol grip so I know that was changed. Not sure on the rods.

It's a 70 swinger 340 with an 833 standard trans.

what is the correct angle for the slots?

Should the flat bar be pointed up or down?

Re: A833 first gear issues. [Re: Dart 340] #60827
05/21/08 07:41 PM
05/21/08 07:41 PM
Milwaukee, WI
In_The_Pink Offline
master
In_The_Pink  Offline
master

Milwaukee, WI
Quote:

Quote:

I'll look at the slot again. I dont know if it's the stock hurst or not. Someone changed from the ball shifter to a pistol grip so I know that was changed. Not sure on the rods.

It's a 70 swinger 340 with an 833 standard trans.

what is the correct angle for the slots?

Should the flat bar be pointed up or down?

Here's a pic of my A-833 O.D. and shifter (qith 1/4" drill bit keeping the shift levers in teh neutral position) mounted in a van, so things will be different than your setup:

As johnrr mentioned, if flipping the 1-2 lever on the side of the trans will give you the adjustment length you need and still allow both first and second gear to fully engage, that may be the solution. I would try that first.