01/29/10 10:53 AM
01/29/10 10:53 AM
...gently down the stream
LAR_414 Offline
master
LAR_414  Offline
master

...gently down the stream
Love both of my Mighty Demons,....great to work and play with!

Re: Barry Grant carbs- what's the scoop? [Re: TechAtBG] #592887
01/29/10 11:46 AM
01/29/10 11:46 AM
NE Oklahoma
V
Von Offline
master
Von  Offline
master
V

NE Oklahoma
Quote:

In regards to Summit that information has already been posted in this thread

Umm, where?

BTW,Anybody have a 'Claw carb under their desk they arent going to use??

72 RR, Pump gas 440, 452s, 3800 lbs, Corked, ET Radials,. 11.33@117.72. Same car, bone stock 346s, 9.5 comp, baby solid. 12.24@110.
Re: Barry Grant carbs- what's the scoop? [Re: Von] #592888
01/29/10 12:04 PM
01/29/10 12:04 PM
Dahlonega, GA
T
TechAtBG Offline
TechAtBG  Offline
T

Dahlonega, GA
Quote:

Quote:

In regards to Summit that information has already been posted in this thread

Umm, where?

BTW,Anybody have a 'Claw carb under their desk they arent going to use??

You're right, too many threads going at one time and they run together after awhile. It is in a few other threads on this board but Summit did not stop selling our stuff as it was Barry himself that closed their account because their returns were 10 times higher then those of our other 400+ dealers including other large warehouses. We would put returned carburetors on our in-house test cars and they ran fine.

"Re: Barry Grants not so great customer service [Re: 540dart]
#5528952 - Tue Oct 06 2009 05:15 PM Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Summit Dropped BG right?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nope, Barry closed their account.

--------------------
Technical Support

Barry Grant, Inc.

www.barrygrant.com "

In regards to the Claw carbs there have been some showing up on Ebay and there is still a good bit of them out there even though we only made that series a couple of years.

Last edited by TechAtBG; 01/29/10 12:18 PM.
Re: Barry Grant carbs- what's the scoop? [Re: TechAtBG] #592889
01/29/10 07:12 PM
01/29/10 07:12 PM
Connecticut
FurryStump Offline
master
FurryStump  Offline
master

Connecticut
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I like them. Have run on apps from my race car to my motor home.

Besides the shavings etc.. they are decent.

Important to know that BG carbs flow a little more than a holley with the same number.
Also, that the different series of them(road, speed, mighty, race, etc) are set up to respond to different camshaft durations.

I have seen lot's of posts on here in the past where there have been size and series mismatch. The results are not good.

ie... I remember a guy with a 383 with a pretty agressive cam. around 250 @ 50 duration.

He was running an 850 speed demon on it, and couldn't get it to idle.

In that situation, a 750 mighty demon would have been the correct carb. The 850 is too big, and the speed series is for smaller cam's so tuning it right was virtually impossible.

Don't buy the wrong series of carb, no matter how good of a deal it is, UNLESS going the otherway(running a mighty, where you should be using a speed)

IIRC the series are broken down like this.
Road demon-stock replacement, speed demon- up to 240 @ 50 duration, mighty demon 240- 260 @ 50, race demon - above that.

That sums up a lot of what we see. Guys want to run too big of a carburetor and then blame us when it doesn't work.

We have had guys call in for recommendations and then call back trying to get something different recommended and even 4 or 5 times only to get the same. One guy told me he wasn't going to run a "baby" carburetor on a 302 and was intent on running one of our 750's which flows over 900 cfm.

I have even had them call back and say "the other guy" recommended so and so thinking they have someone else but thats the nice thing about caller id's . I have even had them call and change the combination to see if we would recommend soemthing else.

In regards to the shavings, that deal was several years ago and we came on many of the forums when it was brought to our attention and admitted it as well as made numerous changes to correct it.

Now I understand there is at least one other manufacturer experiencing the same currently.

I appreciate your posting here trying to address issues with your products. I have had my carb for two years and had the shavings issue. I can't imagine how frustrating it is sell a superbly designed,but poorly assembled product. To design a product that when assembled with care and attention to detail, performs better than expected, only to be let down by a lack of QC. I have no idea when my carb was made. It could have been on a shelf for years, I don't know. For me cleaning the carb out was no big deal,but some people may not be able to tear the carb down and clean it. Again I very happy with how it performs now. For me it wasn't a tuning issue, it wasn't a mismatched carb issue,it was the person who put it together didn't care enough to make sure it was clean. :drive

Thanks. Your carb would have prob been on the shelf for about a year based on when we had the issue and the time you had it.

As posted one should not have to take a new carburetor apart to clean it and I have been spot inspecting them now coming off the line for about 2 1/2 years and rarely see any with any shavings at all.

Some of the shaving problems were not caused by employees not caring though as we were able to track part of it back to the way we were machining parts. The tool would cut a hole in one direction and then cut the hole 90 degrees to that and it would pack the shavings in the bottom. Standard cleaning practices didn't get this stuff out nor catch it so we had to change the way some parts were machined.

Other issues had to due with the way parts were being moved and/or stored so we wnet to mesh baskets for this and moved the gaskets off the benches and into clean dispensor boxes. We also put vacuum systems under the assembly benches and installed a timed sonic wash.

Even with all of this you will still have the human factor involved as you mentioned and whether somebody just misses something or has a bad day or any number of things there will always be issues but we continue to put checks and balances into place and the qc has greatly improved over what it was a few years back.

I do really appreciate your response. To be fair I have never contacted your company. I was able to fix my issues on my own so never sought out any response/assistance from your company. I'm sure it was not the first time you have outlined the steps your company has taken to improve quality control, but it was first time I personally had heard. Thank you again.

best of 11.24 at 119 mph 1.60 60’. 68 340 S Barracuda Fastback F.A.S.T [IMG]http://i67.tinypic.com/2mnnnnt.jpg[/IMG]
Re: Barry Grant carbs- what's the scoop? [Re: Mike H] #592890
02/03/10 01:45 PM
02/03/10 01:45 PM
Michigan
F
fiddlerfingers Offline
fiddlerfingers  Offline
F

Michigan
I bought a Demon carb 4 yrs ago and its still in the box. I contacted BG and inquired after I read this post about the shaving issue. Even though the carb was well past its warrentee they told me to package it up and send it to them for a complete work over. Thats customer service. Taking care of the customer is very important!!! I bet Holley won't do that...

Re: Barry Grant carbs- what's the scoop? [Re: fiddlerfingers] #592891
02/03/10 09:16 PM
02/03/10 09:16 PM
Unfortunately back in New York
N
Nukechargerboy Offline
super stock
Nukechargerboy  Offline
super stock
N

Unfortunately back in New York
I have a vs series 650 speed demon on a 383 with the resto cam in an automatic charger. Sometimes the car runs great and sometimes it doesn't. Is there a gasket set I can buy or something so when I go on the shaving hunt I can put it back together? Can I use the holley jets to tune? I believe this carb will be great, just need some reliability. I bought this carb a few years ago from jegs( after summit was dropped ). I'm glad someone here is responding to these carbs, most dialogue I've seen about them anywhere.

Re: Barry Grant carbs- what's the scoop? [Re: Nukechargerboy] #592892
02/05/10 02:34 PM
02/05/10 02:34 PM
Dahlonega, GA
T
TechAtBG Offline
TechAtBG  Offline
T

Dahlonega, GA
Quote:

I have a vs series 650 speed demon on a 383 with the resto cam in an automatic charger. Sometimes the car runs great and sometimes it doesn't. Is there a gasket set I can buy or something so when I go on the shaving hunt I can put it back together? Can I use the holley jets to tune? I believe this carb will be great, just need some reliability. I bought this carb a few years ago from jegs( after summit was dropped ). I'm glad someone here is responding to these carbs, most dialogue I've seen about them anywhere.

Been a little busy trying to put our new Facebook page together so havent been on in a day or so.

For the VS carburetors the 190003 kit will have the gaskets and parts needed to rebuild it. Also the jets and tuning parts will interchange.

Typically the shavings would not cause eratic operation as the problem would stay the same.

Some of what we are seeing though in carbs with eratic operation is that the new pump gas with the 10 percent ethanol is acting like a solvent and if it is an older car with the original fuel tank all of the years of deposits are being washed from the walls of the tank and sent forward. Sometimes you wont find dirt but rather a sticky substance at the needle and seat.

Technical Support Barry Grant, Inc. www.barrygrant.com
Re: Barry Grant carbs- what's the scoop? [Re: TechAtBG] #592893
02/05/10 04:14 PM
02/05/10 04:14 PM
Bend, Oregon
67cuda340 Offline
super street
67cuda340  Offline
super street

Bend, Oregon
Best carb on the market today, my 650 mighty
demon was set up by FBO based on my engine.
360 solid cam. I have FBO's upgrades as well.
My car is dead on consistent. Even though
my carb was set up by a Pro. I still took
it apart to check the float settings,jets.

Just throwing a carb on your motor with
out a base line, Is just ignornant

1973 Dodge Dart Sport 360 Drag radials 12.30 1/4 mile 7.82 1/8 mile
Page 2 of 2 1 2