Southeast Wisconsin
S
Sunroof_Cuda Offline OP
enthusiast
Sunroof_Cuda  Offline OP
enthusiast
S

Southeast Wisconsin
I am having a devil of a time getting paint that actually looks like the original paint on my 70 challenger convertible. The burnt tan mettallic the shop gives me looks gold, while the car looks more brown. I am definitely thinking about throwing in the towel and painting the car any color I so choose. Anyone see a fresh FT6 car, is it worth keeping?

Re: What the heck does FT6 paint look like? [Re: Sunroof_Cuda] #581435
01/13/10 07:24 PM
01/13/10 07:24 PM
Hamtramck, PA
A
Alaskan_TA Offline
Fluffy Balladeer
Alaskan_TA  Offline
Fluffy Balladeer
A

Hamtramck, PA
It is a beautiful color. Lighting does change how it appears. You can see some examples here;

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/colorsExt/colorsExt-FT6.shtml

Re: What the heck does FT6 paint look like? [Re: Sunroof_Cuda] #581436
01/13/10 09:56 PM
01/13/10 09:56 PM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
I am definitely thinking about throwing in the towel and painting the car any color I so choose. Anyone see a fresh FT6 car, is it worth keeping?

IMHO, if you like the FT6 persue it until your satisfied with the results,...However if your doing it merely to "retain" the "originality" of the car,...paint the car the color you desire, it's your car

PPG #2129,....your painter/mixer is probally not looking at the alternates offered in the FT6 2129 code, there should be 2 alternates,....... for Dodge, have him pick the the alternate with the "darker" paint mix,...if your painter/mixer is dumbfounded by this task, move on to another painter/mixer,....you don' have to use PPG, but it is the factory reference code cart, it can be cross referenced into any other paint manufacturers data base, using the PPG code, and searching for the "darker" alternate paint mix offered,....sometimes paint manufacturers have reduced the data on line, avaliable to the techs, to just 1 mix code, but still list alternates being avaliable, but not listing the mix info, Dupont is known for this, at this point the tech must call Dupont for the mix info, or if he has access to the ColorFast Key system, you can find the mix code ID number from the keys, and download the mix formula from the manufacturer, they do this so that their basic mix programs are less "cluttered", as the number of mixes is astronomical

Mike

5733286-paintcode.jpg (644 downloads)