01/09/10 02:08 PM
01/09/10 02:08 PM
Ridley Park, Pa.
69MOPE Offline
super gas
69MOPE  Offline
super gas

Ridley Park, Pa.
No, the only advantage on a street car would be getting more caster. If you are using modern tubular upper arms, they have more caster built into them. If you have stock upper arms you can install offset bushing at your next rebuild to get more caster.

Re: Adjustable strut rods - A Body [Re: TMBOOTS] #577284
01/09/10 02:21 PM
01/09/10 02:21 PM
Santa Cruz, California
L
Lefty Offline
master
Lefty  Offline
master
L

Santa Cruz, California
Quote:

Are they worth the extra expense?

That depends on what you want from the car. I like to go around corners as fast as possible. The after market strut rods get rid of the factory rubber bushings and replaces them with heim joints. Removing the rubber prevents the suspension geometry change that happens with hard braking. Unless you brake very hard comming into corners with modern tires you will never know the difference imo. I've seen people spend mega $$ on their suspension and brakes only to loose most all of the benefits by going with old school 15" tires.

Re: Adjustable strut rods - A Body [Re: Lefty] #577285
01/09/10 03:16 PM
01/09/10 03:16 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
jcc  Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
J

Bitopia
Quote:

Quote:

Are they worth the extra expense?

That depends on what you want from the car. I like to go around corners as fast as possible. The after market strut rods get rid of the factory rubber bushings and replaces them with heim joints. Removing the rubber prevents the suspension geometry change that happens with hard braking. Unless you brake very hard comming into corners with modern tires you will never know the difference imo. I've seen people spend mega $$ on their suspension and brakes only to loose most all of the benefits by going with old school 15" tires.

IMO, No, but regarding suspension geometry change under hard braking, first I don't there is that much change in a decent OEM system to begin with, second, it would only occur under very hard (max) braking, third, that hard of braking is only done when going in a straight line, fourth, any suspension geometry change is likely symetrical, fifth, not likely a big negative anyway. However the OEM type struts allow for compliance/movement, which is needed to reduce suspension geometry changes as the LCA arcs thru bumps or vertical travel as a car rolls in a turn, and that geometry change would be increased by having a strut that does not have any compliance (because the heim strut now swings thru an arc), and I suspect that geometry change during cornering effects handling far more then any change found in hard straight line braking. Using the struts to gain a lot of caster is doable but not preferred, since it begins to induce LCA bushing binding. They do have a lot of bling though. Urethane IMO is the best compromise

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: Adjustable strut rods - A Body [Re: jcc] #577286
01/09/10 04:58 PM
01/09/10 04:58 PM
IN
A
ahy Offline
master
ahy  Offline
master
A

IN
The adjustable strut rods are a big help if running poly LCA bushings on an A. The poly bushings can be thicker than rubber and let the LCA locating pin move around which changes toe and upsets handling. The adjustable rods let you pull the LCA up snug. There are heim joint adjustable versions ($$) and straight adjustable versions. Have a look at Firm Feel's web site.

Re: Adjustable strut rods - A Body [Re: ahy] #577287
01/09/10 05:47 PM
01/09/10 05:47 PM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

The adjustable strut rods are a big help if running poly LCA bushings on an A. The poly bushings can be thicker than rubber and let the LCA locating pin move around which changes toe and upsets handling. The adjustable rods let you pull the LCA up snug. There are heim joint adjustable versions ($$) and straight adjustable versions. Have a look at Firm Feel's web site.

Or... you could just cut the poly bushing with a hacksaw. Even quicker and cheaper yet:

http://users.erols.com/mathewg/bushings.html

I did that years ago and never had and issue with alignment or pulling the LCA foward. I just run stock UCA's but I use the offset moog bushings. I can always get 4-5 degrees of positive caster depending how agressive the camber I choose to run.

Re: Adjustable strut rods - A Body [Re: jcc] #577288
01/09/10 06:19 PM
01/09/10 06:19 PM
Santa Cruz, California
L
Lefty Offline
master
Lefty  Offline
master
L

Santa Cruz, California
Quote: