01/05/10 06:23 PM
01/05/10 06:23 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I have been using my delaybox as a timer to trigger my shifter. The class I want to run does not allow delayboxes or timers.

I can shift by RPM. Is it possible to use the shift light to trigger the shifter or am I going to have to buy one of the RPM switches that MSD or Biondo sells.

I have an Autometer Ultimate II playback tach.

Re: Tach shift light as RPM trigger? [Re: ] #573994
01/06/10 01:07 AM
01/06/10 01:07 AM
Illinois
F
fishy68 Offline
fishy68  Offline
F

Illinois
Sorry but I'm pretty dumb on what actuates the shifter (I assume it's a solenoid?) but I do know electronics very well so I'll try to help. Do you have any idea how much current it takes to actuate the shifter? If you have a current meter you can test it. Most likely the current supplied to power the shift light in the tach is very low so if it takes very much current (probably over 100 milliamps) to actuate the shifter the tach won't do the job. But you could wire in a small relay like one of the type they use to control an electric fan and have the shift light trigger the small relay and it triggers the shifter. I could draw you up a schematic and scan it and post it if you like. It wouldn't be hard at all to wire it. The only thing I can't guarantee is the accuracy. Most likely you'd end up setting the shift light a couple hundred rpm's lower (just an approximation) to make up for the delay in actuation since 2 items have to be powered up.

68 Cuda 408/904/8-3/4
02 Dakota 4.7 auto
Re: Tach shift light as RPM trigger? [Re: fishy68] #573995
01/06/10 01:19 AM
01/06/10 01:19 AM
Rock Springs
Bob_Coomer Offline
master
Bob_Coomer  Offline
master

Rock Springs
Quote:

Sorry but I'm pretty dump on what actuates the shifter (I assume it's a solenoid?) but I do know electronics very well so I'll try to help. Do you have any idea how much current it takes to actuate the shifter? If you have a current meter you can test it. Most likely the current supplied to power the shift light in the tach is very low so if it takes very much current (probably over 100 milliamps) to actuate the shifter the tach won't do the job. But you could wire in a small relay like one of the type they use to control an electric fan and have the shift light trigger the small relay and it triggers the shifter. I could draw you up a schematic and scan it and post it if you like. It wouldn't be hard at all to wire it. The only thing I can't guarantee is the accuracy. Most likely you'd end up setting the shift light a couple hundred rpm's lower (just an approximation) to make up for the delay in actuation since 2 items have to be powered up.

Yep it will work, with the relays...A MSD Activation switch will also work, but Ironically it will need a relay also.
Summit Racing offers there cheap brand of RPM Activation switch that doesnt use rpm models like the MSD unit. It also needs relays.

The shift light will work with relays.

[color:"red"]65 Hemi Belvedere coming soon [/color]
[color:"#00FF00"]557" Indy engine 1.07 60ft 144mph in the 8th 2100 lbs package [/color]
Re: Tach shift light as RPM trigger? [Re: Bob_Coomer] #573996
01/06/10 08:54 AM
01/06/10 08:54 AM
Weddington, N.C.
Streetwize Offline
master
Streetwize  Offline
master

Weddington, N.C.
Sure, no reason it won't work as a relay trigger, go for it!

Just make sure the inductance of the relay coil (current draw) doesn't exceed the available circuit current which is probably pretty low for just a tach light.

WIZE

World's Quickest Diahatsu Rocky (??) 414" Stroker Small block Mopar Powered. 10.84 @ 123...and gettin' quicker!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mWzLma3YGI

In Car:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjXcf95e6v0