01/04/10 12:47 AM
01/04/10 12:47 AM
Nampa, ID
MadMatt Offline OP
super stock
MadMatt  Offline OP
super stock

Nampa, ID
I am trying to make some choices to upgrade the front suspension of my 1970 Dodge Dart for improved handling. I'm just looking to make it a bit more sure-footed. It's primarily a cruiser, with an occasional trip to the drag strip, but the steering does feel a little vague on the freeway, and I'd like it to corner a little better. Currently, I have stock front suspension components (all rubber bushings in good condition), a Firm Feel level II box, a Mopar Performance (Addco?) front swaybar, KYB shocks, and 15x6 Halibrand wheels with 205/65R15 radials. I've attached the printout from the last time I had it aligned - by a guy that has a reputation for being Mopar-savvy.

Some of the components I'm considering, either individually or some combination, are tubular upper a-arms, Moog offset bushings, and the Dixie Restoration Parts adjustable strut rods.

So, what are the thoughts out there?

Some see the glass as half empty, some see the glass as half full. I just drink straight out of the bottle.
Re: Can you help me pick my suspension pieces? [Re: MadMatt] #571960
01/04/10 01:06 AM
01/04/10 01:06 AM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
jcc  Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
J

Bitopia
Quote:

I am trying to make some choices to upgrade the front suspension of my 1970 Dodge Dart for improved handling. I'm just looking to make it a bit more sure-footed. It's primarily a cruiser, with an occasional trip to the drag strip, but the steering does feel a little vague on the freeway, and I'd like it to corner a little better. Currently, I have stock front suspension components (all rubber bushings in good condition), a Firm Feel level II box, a Mopar Performance (Addco?) front swaybar, KYB shocks, and 15x6 Halibrand wheels with 205/65R15 radials. I've attached the printout from the last time I had it aligned - by a guy that has a reputation for being Mopar-savvy.

Some of the components I'm considering, either individually or some combination, are tubular upper a-arms, Moog offset bushings, and the Dixie Restoration Parts adjustable strut rods.

First don't be so mad matt.

I like your #'s reg toe and caster, but Negative camber is a big improvement on handling especially turn in response, but the description on the readout describes negative camber, but I don't see any minus signs, not sure what I am missing.

For the money and the #'s you got, forget for now tube UCA, KYB's, 11/16" TR, adjustable struts, offset bushings and Boxing the LCA.

You do need a bigger/wider tire choice, and if you can accept the look, a bigger/better wheel. Beefier TB's at least to 1" are a must, with a better shock choice. Firm Feel 2 box is OK, maybe a 3 might be better. If all the suspension items are in good shape, I would make only the above changes and then re=evaluate. The Steering box would be the most difficult, but very well worth it, and you will not have to do anything over again for additional upgrades.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: Can you help me pick my suspension pieces? [Re: MadMatt] #571961
01/04/10 01:07 AM
01/04/10 01:07 AM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

Better tires!

Moog offset bushings --if you really want more caster. You are not bad now.
If you have poly strut rod bushings you could shave them down and maybe get a little more caster. But you caster is not bad.
bigger T-bars
bilstien shocks

Dude, I'm in the garage right now. You want to see and touch most all that stuff come over ASAP. Car is on jackstand, and I've got suspension parts all over. You wanna see 5+ different front sway bars (73-76 style), bucket full of shocks, loose welded K-member, loose offset bushings, rear sway bars, on and on...

My PM is full, email pwall5@aol.com

I'm trying to fit these rims on the car. I think I'm going to have to roll the rear fender lips! They are virgins and perfect

Last edited by autoxcuda; 01/04/10 01:29 AM.
Re: Can you help me pick my suspension pieces? [Re: autoxcuda] #571962
01/04/10 01:14 AM
01/04/10 01:14 AM
Garden Grove, CA
OzHemi Offline
Penguin-hating Ginger
OzHemi  Offline
Penguin-hating Ginger

Garden Grove, CA
What wheels are you going with Steve ?

I have some 18 x 8's and 9.5's if you want to try fitting something big

Re: Can you help me pick my suspension pieces? [Re: OzHemi] #571963
01/04/10 01:20 AM
01/04/10 01:20 AM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

What wheels are you going with Steve ?

I have some 18 x 8's and 9.5's if you want to try fitting something big

I have no money for new tires and rims. Just these 15x9 optima minilite copies I scored at a swap meet.

I've got to get this car ready tonite to go out the willow springs.

New rims on the left. Old setup on the right. Do I lip these?

Last edited by autoxcuda; 01/04/10 01:21 AM.
Re: Can you help me pick my suspension pieces? [Re: autoxcuda] #571964
01/04/10 01:25 AM
01/04/10 01:25 AM
Garden Grove, CA
OzHemi Offline
Penguin-hating Ginger
OzHemi  Offline
Penguin-hating Ginger

Garden Grove, CA
Minlites are cool too!

Good look getting done for the morning

Re: Can you help me pick my suspension pieces? [Re: autoxcuda] #571965
01/04/10 01:26 AM
01/04/10 01:26 AM
Garden Grove, CA
OzHemi Offline
Penguin-hating Ginger
OzHemi  Offline
Penguin-hating Ginger

Garden Grove, CA
And going to be closer on clearance it looks like when you get near full compression on the suspension

Too bad you don't have time to skim some off the back face of the wheel to bring them in a little (it there was enough meat there) to save the lip

Of course if you clearance the car now, gives you room for bigger wheels all the time.

Re: Can you help me pick my suspension pieces? [Re: autoxcuda] #571966
01/04/10 01:27 AM
01/04/10 01:27 AM
Nampa, ID
MadMatt Offline OP
super stock
MadMatt  Offline OP
super stock

Nampa, ID
Quote:

Better tires!

Moog offset bushings --if you really want more caster. You are not bad now.
If you have poly strut rod bushings you could shave them down and maybe get a little more caster. But you caster is not bad.
bigger T-bars
bilstien shocks

Dude, I'm in the garage right now. You want to see and touch most all that stuff come over ASAP. Car is on jackstand, and I've got suspension parts all over. You wanna see 5+ different front sway bars (73-76 style), bucket full of shocks, loose K-member, on and on...

My PM is full, email pwall5@aol.com or call 310-855-4573

I'm trying to fit these rims on the car. I think I'm going to have to roll the rear fender lips! They are virgins and perfect

By better tires do you mean bigger, or actually better quality? I'm not sure I can fit much bigger in the wheel well without interference. Sounds like the concensus (so far) is also better shocks and bigger t-bars. Guess I'll look into that.

Thanks for the offer to check out your parts ware house. I'd love to take you up on that sometime, but right now I've got to try and get 2 sons back into school mode for tomorrow morning.

Be REALLY CAREFUL if you're going to roll those rear 1/4 lips. I had PERFECT 1/4 panels on my car and decided to roll the rears. I used the Eastwood tool roller tool. All I can say is .

99% of the people never notice, but my heart is broken about the outcome. If I come to visit I'll drive my car and let you see what happened.

Some see the glass as half empty, some see the glass as half full. I just drink straight out of the bottle.
Re: Can you help me pick my suspension pieces? [Re: MadMatt] #571967
01/04/10 01:36 AM
01/04/10 01:36 AM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

Be REALLY CAREFUL if you're going to roll those rear 1/4 lips. I had PERFECT 1/4 panels on my car and decided to roll the rears. I used the Eastwood tool roller tool. All I can say is .

99% of the people never notice, but my heart is broken about the outcome. If I come to visit I'll drive my car and let you see what happened.

My car is an original 340-S automtic coupe numbers motor, no buildsheet. No rust ever except for the drain hole in front of the passenger rear tire (curvature of street)

I think I'm going to be firing up the sawzaw in about 15 minutes.

My plan is to cut 3/4 into the lip ever 3" for about 9" or so then slowly lip.

I've allready did this to the front. All metal is still there, just bent in.

Re: Can you help me pick my suspension pieces? [Re: MadMatt] #571968
01/04/10 01:37 AM
01/04/10 01:37 AM
Garden Grove, CA
OzHemi Offline
Penguin-hating Ginger
OzHemi  Offline
Penguin-hating Ginger

Garden Grove, CA
I think wider tires for sure...205 is a pretty narrow tire for a good contact patch

Re: Can you help me pick my suspension pieces? [Re: MadMatt] #571969
01/04/10 01:41 AM
01/04/10 01:41 AM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

By better tires do you mean bigger, or actually better quality? I'm not sure I can fit much bigger in the wheel well without interference.

Both. And I doubt you are going to find good handling 205/65/15's. Gotta find a way to fit 225/60/15 tires. There are some good speed rated and touring tires in that size. What is the backspace/offset of those 15x6 Halibrands?

Quote:

Sounds like the concensus (so far) is also better shocks and bigger t-bars. Guess I'll look into that.

Do you have a rear sway bar to go with your Addco 1 1/8 front bar? Not as involved and swapping T-bars and not as expensive as shocks.

Quote:

Thanks for the offer to check out your parts ware house. I'd love to take you up on that sometime, but right now I've got to try and get 2 sons back into school mode for tomorrow morning.

You should just drive the car. And see if it somewhere you want to go.

Last edited by autoxcuda; 01/04/10 05:56 AM.
Re: Can you help me pick my suspension pieces? [Re: OzHemi] #571970
01/04/10 01:50 AM
01/04/10 01:50 AM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

And going to be closer on clearance it looks like when you get near full compression on the suspension

Too bad you don't have time to skim some off the back face of the wheel to bring them in a little (it there was enough meat there) to save the lip

Of course if you clearance the car now, gives you room for bigger wheels all the time.

I'm going to Willow on Thrusday. But I will be away from my house on business until Wednesday night.

At the most I could skim off the back is like 3/8" tops. But the lugs are tapered and I dont think there is enough meat left. Plus the cost of shaving them down has got to be expensive.

What's your opinion of this?:

Not a whole lot of distance after the taper edge to the backside.

Re: Can you help me pick my suspension pieces? [Re: autoxcuda] #571971
01/04/10 01:55 AM
01/04/10 01:55 AM
Garden Grove, CA
OzHemi Offline
Penguin-hating Ginger
OzHemi  Offline
Penguin-hating Ginger

Garden Grove, CA
A shame they pocketed the seats down into the wheel or you could take plenty off

How thick are they now, little hard to tell in the picture (the thickness from the mounting face to the lug nut face that is)

Do they already have steel inserts in them ? (looks like it perhaps )

Re: Can you help me pick my suspension pieces? [Re: autoxcuda] #571972
01/04/10 02:15 AM
01/04/10 02:15 AM
Nampa, ID
MadMatt Offline OP
super stock
MadMatt  Offline OP
super stock

Nampa, ID
Quote:

My plan is to cut 3/4 into the lip ever 3" for about 9" or so then slowly lip.

I think that is the way to go. I've often thought in retrospect that if I had made cuts in the 1/4 lip I would have avoided what happened.

Re: Can you help me pick my suspension pieces? [Re: autoxcuda] #571973
01/04/10 02:19 AM
01/04/10 02:19 AM
Nampa, ID
MadMatt Offline OP
super stock
MadMatt  Offline OP
super stock

Nampa, ID
Quote:

gotta find a way to fit 225/60/15 tires. There are some good speed rated and touring tires in that size. What is the backspace/offset of those 15x6 Halibrands?

Do you have a rear sway bar to go with your Addco 1 1/8 front bar? Not as involved and swapping T-bars and not as expensive as shocks.

The backspacing is 4" for the front wheels. No rear bar yet. I'd like to go with the Firm Feel frame hung setup, but I'm not sure if it is compatible with the front bar I have. Guess I'll have to call them...

Re: Can you help me pick my suspension pieces? [Re: MadMatt] #571974
01/04/10 03:47 AM
01/04/10 03:47 AM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

Quote:

gotta find a way to fit 225/60/15 tires. There are some good speed rated and touring tires in that size. What is the backspace/offset of those 15x6 Halibrands?

The backspacing is 4" for the front wheels. No rear bar yet. I'd like to go with the Firm Feel frame hung setup, but I'm not sure if it is compatible with the front bar I have. Guess I'll have to call them...

His rear bar will work fine with that front bar. The hotchkis and hellwigs are adjustable.

I have a 15x7 cop rim, 4.25 backspacing with 225/60/15 loose. A few cords sticking out of it. Those are close on some cars depending on alignment and prior body repairs. The 3 degrees of caster will help too because it move the wheel back a little.

The 4" backspacing usually hurts but the 6" wide might help.

Last edited by autoxcuda; 01/04/10 05:57 AM.