B
blownzoom440 Offline
blownzoom440  Offline
B

ELYRIA,OH
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Main bearings are Clevite MS-876P,rod are Clevite CB-743H.Both were supplied with the kit.The rods bearings do not have interference with the radius.

My rod bearings clear also. I am using Clevite CB-743HN, this replaced the CB-743H bearings as all of the "H" are now narrowed "HN" as I understand it.

Quote:

crank end play was checked and were in spec.It came in at .006,.004 to .009 is acceptable.

Mine turned out to be 0.005", so it was fine too.

You can't find 527HDs anymore,HNs is about the only choise.

i ordered CB527HND that is what i used 2 yrs ago but thay were just a hair too wide and needed files edges.

5709475-100_3414.jpg (29 downloads)
Last edited by METAL STORM; 01/03/10 09:37 PM.
Re: 440 Source kit update part 1 #569539
01/04/10 01:07 AM
01/04/10 01:07 AM
Ontario,Canada
brads70 Offline
super stock
brads70  Offline
super stock

Ontario,Canada
Quote:

some after market cranks put knurls in the crank, but I can't figure out why. .......The knurl is there if you're going to use a rope seal, and who does that??? (that shows a company that copies something and doesn't even know why it's there) My Source crank was knurled there, so I had it ground off while being indexed......

I believe the knurl is there to direct the oil away from the seal. Many stock cranks have this from the factory, my BB Buick did.

Re: 440 Source kit update part 1 [Re: brads70] #569540
01/04/10 02:36 AM
01/04/10 02:36 AM
North Alabama
M
Monte_Smith Offline
master
Monte_Smith  Offline
master
M

North Alabama
Not bashing Source, or anyone else here, but the problem with these "cheap" kits, is that they are marketed as "ready to assemble" and "just as good" as some of the other higher priced kits. This is where I have a problem. The problems that BG is finding are serious issues and if a novice just slaps it together, there will be problems with the motor. Sure, you can take it to a reputable shop and have it checked, but if they fix it, and a good shop will, it will cost you money. Where as, I would just about guarantee, that if you paid a little more and bought a K-1 kit, or something similar, it would be perfect and indeed ready to assemble. So in the long run, which is the better deal? To fix the flange, the taper, the runout, the cosmetics, scrape bearings and rebalance....you are into a good deal of labor on your "cheap" crank and we have not even looked at the rods and pistons yet. And from all the evidence we have seen in the past, you would be crazy to NOT have all this stuff checked. So I am just not seeing the huge cost savings in these "ready to assemble" economy engine kits. It MIGHT save an experienced builder a few bucks, because he will check and repair all this stuff himself.....but, the time spent will be passed on to a customer. I still see no savings in it for the "average" guy.

Monte

Re: 440 Source kit update part 1 [Re: '72CudaRacer] #569541
01/04/10 02:53 AM
01/04/10 02:53 AM
North Alabama
M
Monte_Smith Offline
master
Monte_Smith  Offline
master
M

North Alabama
Quote:

I know that nothing is "perfect", thats why there are tolerances. But as a point of reference, how do "stock" mopar cranks measure out in regards to journal taper, concentricy, and indexing? A lot of folks take factory stuff and reuse it with out checking anything and don't give it a second thought. Just an honest question that maybe some of you machinist that have checked a lot of them can answer.
I too am looking very seriously at a 440 source kit.
Thanks, Brian

This, as Bob pointed out, is a good question.....but....engines from the factory were made to drive you up and down the road, not to be flogged all the time. How many times have you seen somebody take a stock motor, add a cam, some headers and some other "go fast" parts, only to have it expire in shortorder. This is where the term "blueprinting" came to exist. You went to the junkyard, rescued yourself an engine and corrected all the little things the factory missed, you "blueprinted" it, made it right, it made power and lived. These days people buy parts, with the impression they are right, but many times they are not. The phrase, "you get what you pay for" may be more true in engine parts than anything else. In my mind, I can't possibly expect a $500, 4340 crank to be right. Because I know what it takes to get it right and you can't buy the material and do it right, for that amount of money and make a profit.

Monte

Re: 440 Source kit update part 1 [Re: Monte_Smith] #569542
01/04/10 06:28 AM
01/04/10 06:28 AM
U.S.
M
moparniac Offline
master
moparniac  Offline
master
M

U.S.
Quote:

Not bashing Source, or anyone else here, but the problem with these "cheap" kits, is that they are marketed as "ready to assemble" and "just as good" as some of the other higher priced kits. This is where I have a problem. The problems that BG is finding are serious issues and if a novice just slaps it together, there will be problems with the motor. Sure, you can take it to a reputable shop and have it checked, but if they fix it, and a good shop will, it will cost you money. Where as, I would just about guarantee, that if you paid a little more and bought a K-1 kit, or something similar, it would be perfect and indeed ready to assemble. So in the long run, which is the better deal? To fix the flange, the taper, the runout, the cosmetics, scrape bearings and rebalance....you are into a good deal of labor on your "cheap" crank and we have not even looked at the rods and pistons yet. And from all the evidence we have seen in the past, you would be crazy to NOT have all this stuff checked. So I am just not seeing the huge cost savings in these "ready to assemble" economy engine kits. It MIGHT save an experienced builder a few bucks, because he will check and repair all this stuff himself.....but, the time spent will be passed on to a customer. I still see no savings in it for the "average" guy.

Monte

Well said! Mainly im curious as well as to what the "actual" cost will be! However Im sure that would vary also ! but atleats that way people dont get "sticker shock" when they go pick up the discount stroker kit from their machinist.

Mopar Performance
Re: 440 Source kit update part 1 [Re: moparniac] #569543
01/04/10 06:53 AM
01/04/10 06:53 AM
Eighty Four, PA
B G Racing Offline OP
master
B G Racing  Offline OP
master

Eighty Four, PA
Quote:

Quote:

Monte

Well said! Mainly im curious as well as to what the "actual" cost will be! However Im sure that would vary also ! but atleats that way people dont get "sticker shock" when they go pick up the discount stroker kit from their machinist.

Well said,this is the point that I was trying to make over a year ago,what can be expected with the lower cost kits and is there a cost saving once you get the corrections done.And yes,you can't compare stock production engines to be competitive.They need to be corrected and fine tuned for even a stock class.There are a lot of good info being shared,take advantage of it.Rods and pistons next.

Re: 440 Source kit update part 1 [Re: B G Racing] #569544
01/04/10 08:18 AM
01/04/10 08:18 AM
Charlotte NC
D
DCI Offline
super stock
DCI  Offline
super stock
D

Charlotte NC
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Monte

Well said,this is the point that I was trying to make over a year ago,what can be expected with the lower cost kits and is there a cost saving once you get the corrections done.And yes,you can't compare stock production engines to be competitive.They need to be corrected and fine tuned for even a stock class.There are a lot of good info being shared,take advantage of it.Rods and pistons next.

Very good info here and I appreciate it.

BG - Any plans to buy a new(current) kit and evaluate it to see if any of the "issues" you find are fixed? or do this with some of the other kits out there?

"Turbo will be easiest, and at the HP level will also be easiest on parts. Spend the money to do it right, and you can build a 500 HP street motor that will live a long and happy life, and probably with a very basic short block." Those words must have left a bad taste in his mouth!
Re: 440 Source kit update part 1 [Re: DCI] #569545
01/04/10 09:30 AM
Eighty Four, PA
B G Racing Offline OP
master
B G Racing  Offline OP
master

Eighty Four, PA

Very good info here and I appreciate it.

BG - Any plans to buy a new(current) kit and evaluate it to see if any of the "issues" you find are fixed? or do this with some of the other kits out there?

We are communicating with Brandon on the possibility of handling his parts if we can come to terms.Anyone local want help with a current kit,can contact us.

Re: 440 Source kit update part 1 [Re: DCI] #569546
Columbia, CT
M
moper Offline
I Live Here
moper  Offline
I Live Here
M

Columbia, CT
For those curious about whether issues were adderssed on later kits... I've used or looked at these parts since I think about 5 (maybe 6?) years ago. The last one I used was 3 years ago, a 4.25 stroke RB pkg. As of that time no issues Bob's noted had been addressed since the first few kits a couple years prior to that. Also in regard to the bobweight stamped ont he crank... I believ that's just what the counterweights are desinged to weigh so you can tell if it needs mallory or not during the planning phase. It's not what the bobweight should be. From what I understand of Source's balancing I am curious to see if this kit really is balanced and ready to go.

The two most important details of this post as it evolves is to watch and see what needs to be checked (as opposed to plastigaging or using emery to clearance piston pins), and how much it will cost to correct the issues that need to be corrected (as opposed to some issues that are acceptable "per spec"). I do believe the kits are a good value for most buyers even after spending a little extra to get things acceptable. Not "Right." or "Perfect.", but acceptable. However "ready to run" is simply not the case.

Well, art is art, isn't it? Still, on the other hand, water is water! And east is east and west is west and if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like prunes than rhubarb does. Now, uh... Now you tell me what you know.
Re: 440 Source kit update part 1 [Re: moper] #569547
01/04/10 09:41 AM
01/04/10 09:41 AM
Eighty Four, PA
B G Racing Offline OP
master
B G Racing  Offline OP
master

Eighty Four, PA
Quote:

For those curious about whether issues were adderssed on later kits... I've used or looked at these parts since I think about 5 (maybe 6?) years ago. The last one I used was 3 years ago, a 4.25 stroke RB pkg. As of that time no issues Bob's noted had been addressed since the first few kits a couple years prior to that. Also in regard to the bobweight stamped ont he crank... I believ that's just what the counterweights are desinged to weigh so you can tell if it needs mallory or not during the planning phase. It's not what the bobweight should be. From what I understand of Source's balancing I am curious to see if this kit really is balanced and ready to go.

The two most important details of this post as it evolves is to watch and see what needs to be checked (as opposed to plastigaging or using emery to clearance piston pins), and how much it will cost to correct the issues that need to be corrected (as opposed to some issues that are acceptable "per spec"). I do believe the kits are a good value for most buyers even after spending a little extra to get things acceptable. Not "Right." or "Perfect.", but acceptable. However "ready to run" is simply not the case.

As stated,we will assume that the stampings was for refrence,we will spin it and check it with the actual bobweight.

Re: 440 Source kit update part 1 [Re: B G Racing] #569548
01/04/10 09:54 AM
01/04/10 09:54 AM
Camp Point, IL
G
gofish Offline
mopar
gofish  Offline
mopar
G

Camp Point, IL
So, are you saying it is about the same quality as OEM "factory" parts? The factory stuff was "ready to run" according to them, and did very well for what it was intended.

Danny

Re: 440 Source kit update part 1 [Re: Monte_Smith] #569549
01/04/10 10:04 AM
01/04/10 10:04 AM
Central New York
slippery440 Offline
Crybaby440
slippery440  Offline
Crybaby440

Central New York
Quote:

Monte

Hit the nail on the head.Sometime soon I will want to buy a kit and yes I am a cheap minded person but also I know what the bottom line is. So this build by BG is great.Only thing would be even better would be a side by side build with a higher priced "american made" kit. That would be intresting.

If the MODS did their job I would not be hitting the notify MOD button. LOL
Re: 440 Source kit update part 1 [Re: slippery440] #569550
01/04/10 10:23 AM
01/04/10 10:23 AM
Eighty Four, PA
B G Racing Offline OP
master
B G Racing  Offline OP
master

Eighty Four, PA
Quote:

Quote:

Monte

Hit the nail on the head.Sometime soon I will want to buy a kit and yes I am a cheap minded person but also I know what the bottom line is. So this build by BG is great.Only thing would be even better would be a side by side build with a higher priced "american made" kit. That would be intresting.

We already have a baseline cost for the kits using other budget kits(Eagle Assemblys)At the conclusion we will do that comparasion.Just what do you consider an "American Kit".To compare to a kit using Oliver rods,Bryant cranks,JE pistons would be worthless to most budget minded racer.Those high doller cranks cost as much or near as much as an Eagle or Source complete kit.

Re: 440 Source kit update part 1 [Re: B G Racing] #569551
01/04/10 10:38 AM
01/04/10 10:38 AM
Central New York
slippery440 Offline
Crybaby440
slippery440  Offline
Crybaby440

Central New York
I really don't know. What you are saying is that the high dollar cranks alone cost as much as a kit from Source or Eagle. You are right that is out of my budget range.As far a american made kit who knows anymore.Should of said a kit that is in the same price range.Must of missed your first post on what you are trying to do.Thank you for doing this build.

If the MODS did their job I would not be hitting the notify MOD button. LOL
Re: 440 Source kit update part 1 [Re: slippery440] #569552
01/04/10 10:49 AM
01/04/10 10:49 AM
Eighty Four, PA
B G Racing Offline OP
master
B G Racing  Offline OP
master

Eighty Four, PA
Quote:

I really don't know. What you are saying is that the high dollar cranks alone cost as much as a kit from Source or Eagle. You are right that is out of my budget range.As far a american made kit who knows anymore.Should of said a kit that is in the same price range.Must of missed your first post on what you are trying to do.Thank you for doing this build.

Then you have made a fair request and at the conclusion of the build we will give the cost comparasion.This has been the concerning issue from day one,is the low cost worth it or do you spend more on corrections and labor than buying a kit at a little higher cost. Cost is the driving factor,not where anything is made.

Re: 440 Source kit update part 1 [Re: B G Racing] #569553
01/04/10 11:03 AM
01/04/10 11:03 AM
W. Kentucky
justinp61 Offline
I Live Here
justinp61  Offline
I Live Here

W. Kentucky
Bob, aside from Eagle, who else are you comparing the source kits too?

Re: 440 Source kit update part 1 [Re: justinp61] #569554
01/04/10 12:02 PM
01/04/10 12:02 PM
Eighty Four, PA
B G Racing Offline OP
master
B G Racing  Offline OP
master

Eighty Four, PA
Quote:

There are quite a few,Cat,Scat,and many suppliers are selling kits with various combinations of parts,Indy,Mancini,Ohio Crankshaft and just about all the Mopar builders,many on Moparts.We have been using Eagle from Indy with great success.

Re: 440 Source kit update part 1 [Re: justinp61] #569555
01/04/10 12:04 PM
01/04/10 12:04 PM
Now - Port Orange,Fla. Former...
MIKES_DUSTER Offline
master
MIKES_DUSTER  Offline
master

Now - Port Orange,Fla. Former...
Hey Bob,

Not sure if you want to say but what is Brandon saying about this problem??

Re: 440 Source kit update part 1 [Re: B G Racing] #569556
01/04/10 12:10 PM
01/04/10 12:10 PM
U.S.
M
moparniac Offline
master
moparniac  Offline
master
M

U.S.
Just to help the cause here for comparison! I'll check my invoice for the carillo "RBRE" stroker kit as soon as I get home! I just got it about 2 months ago!

Mopar Performance
Re: 440 Source kit update part 1 [Re: B G Racing] #569557
01/04/10 12:28 PM
01/04/10 12:28 PM
Columbia, CT
M
moper Offline
I Live Here
moper  Offline
I Live Here
M

Columbia, CT
Quote:

Quote:

There are quite a few,Cat,Scat,and many suppliers are selling kits with various combinations of parts,Indy,Mancini,Ohio Crankshaft and just about all the Mopar builders,many on Moparts.We have been using Eagle from Indy with great success.

IMO it's fairer to say this isn't a comparison so much as an informational post. Prospective customers can do thier own comparisons. But hopefully after this, they'll know what questions to ask and what areas to be aware of when they comparison shop. There are endless combinations of kits and some kits of the same parts will be different costs from different sources simply because they already inspect and correct them.

Well, art is art, isn't it? Still, on the other hand, water is water! And east is east and west is west and if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like prunes than rhubarb does. Now, uh... Now you tell me what you know.
Page 4 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 12