12/21/09 08:28 AM
Marysville, O-H-I-O
70Cuda383 Offline OP
Too Many Posts
70Cuda383  Offline OP
Too Many Posts

Marysville, O-H-I-O
Or anyone else who wants to chime in!

I've heard that the ends of a sway bar need to be parallel to the ground for their maximum effectiveness...is this true? I would think that the angle of the sway bar is irrelevant, but that the length of the ends from the center of the bar, and the diameter/spring rate of the bar are all that matters?

I added a rear sway bar from a Dakota R/T to my truck, but I've also got a Hotchkis 2/3 drop, so my rear is 3" lower than "factory" which is 2" lower than a stock R/T would be, since the R/Ts had a 1" drop from the factory.

See this pic, my sway bar is angled down at nearly a 45 degree angle...do I need shorter "dog bones"

**Photobucket sucks**
Re: Another sway bar question--Autoxcuda! [Re: 70Cuda383] #559060
12/21/09 08:46 AM
12/21/09 08:46 AM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
jcc  Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
J

Bitopia
I think the answer would be yes, the more level, the more linear the rate, however there might be a case that being less non linaer might be desired, I can't think of one. To the point, its a linaer response issue, and the angle and the lenght of the arm determine that effect as the arm swings thru a arc and therefore constantly changes is leverage and therefore its effective rate.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: Another sway bar question--Autoxcuda! [Re: 70Cuda383] #559061
12/21/09 03:43 PM
12/21/09 03:43 PM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Yes, it is reduced.

It's sort of like mounting shock at an angle.

I'd call Hotchkis and ask if they have a fix or suggustions. But shortening the end link to get the sway bar arm perpendicular to the end link at ride height would fix it.

Quote:

I've heard that the ends of a sway bar need to be parallel to the ground for their maximum effectiveness...is this true? I would think that the angle of the sway bar is irrelevant, but that the length of the ends from the center of the bar, and the diameter/spring rate of the bar are all that matters?

I added a rear sway bar from a Dakota R/T to my truck, but I've also got a Hotchkis 2/3 drop, so my rear is 3" lower than "factory" which is 2" lower than a stock R/T would be, since the R/Ts had a 1" drop from the factory.

See this pic, my sway bar is angled down at nearly a 45 degree angle...do I need shorter "dog bones"

Re: Another sway bar question--Autoxcuda! [Re: autoxcuda] #559062
12/21/09 04:29 PM
12/21/09 04:29 PM
Marysville, O-H-I-O
70Cuda383 Offline OP
Too Many Posts
70Cuda383  Offline OP
Too Many Posts

Marysville, O-H-I-O
Quote:

Yes, it is reduced.

It's sort of like mounting shock at an angle.

I'd call Hotchkis and ask if they have a fix or suggustions. But shortening the end link to get the sway bar arm perpendicular to the end link at ride height would fix it.

Quote:

Hmm. Ok.

I know what hotchkis' solution will be: "buy more of our stuff! may we recommend to you our complete TVS system?"

I've heard that shorter "dog bones" are available, I've just not looked very hard at finding any. I might just try making my own set, since those parts are NOT sprung steel like the bar...infact, the factory pieces are some sort of light weight phenolic material. shouldn't be too hard to fabricate something out of some mild steel...just gotta get to the scrap yard to find some good stock to work with.

**Photobucket sucks**
Re: Another sway bar question--Autoxcuda! [Re: autoxcuda] #559063
12/21/09 05:06 PM
12/21/09 05:06 PM
Santa Cruz, California
L
Lefty Offline
master
Lefty  Offline
master
L

Santa Cruz, California
Quote:

But shortening the end link to get the sway bar arm perpendicular to the end link at ride height would fix it.

And use heim joints to tighten up the handling to go with the lowered center of gravity.

Re: Another sway bar question--Autoxcuda! [Re: Lefty] #559064
12/21/09 05:47 PM
12/21/09 05:47 PM
Marysville, O-H-I-O
70Cuda383 Offline OP
Too Many Posts
70Cuda383  Offline OP
Too Many Posts

Marysville, O-H-I-O
Quote:

Quote:

But shortening the end link to get the sway bar arm perpendicular to the end link at ride height would fix it.

And use heim joints to tighten up the handling to go with the lowered center of gravity.

it handles pretty well already! I love the hotchkis springs, significantly stiffer than stock spring rates, even with stock/OEM sway bars, it's flat through turns and feels well balanced, although I'm still searching for the limits, so I'm not sure where the balance is exactly, I don't know if it wants to understeer or oversteer. although, with a little bit of throttle, it will oversteer quite easilly

my only complaints about the suspension is that it does hit pretty hard on larger bumps, and with these stiffer springs, I'm probably not getting a lot of suspension travel on launch at the track, so it's costing me 60' times and ET

**Photobucket sucks**