Quote:

great welds
the only problem i see
what size is it looks like 1"5/8
that is not leagal bar
roll bar must be 1"3/4
gage can all be
1"5/8

It does look small in the pic ,but it is 1 3/4 tubing.It is an NHRA / IHRA legal 8 point kit according to the guy i spoke with a S and W .Thanks for the compliment on my freinds welds...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykcsXMV3vfg My Dart ,and im just getting started...
Re: Anyone see a problem with my rollbars ??? [Re: sam64] #558697
12/20/09 10:23 PM
12/20/09 10:23 PM
Sherman Texas
T
The Shocker Offline OP
mopar
The Shocker  Offline OP
mopar
T

Sherman Texas
Quote:

it looks good daniel,paint it and be done.iv'e been freshening the top end on my 65 coronet,putting a smaller tube header on it hoping to making a little more low end power.have a good holidays,sam.

Thanks Sam and happy holidays to you as well ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykcsXMV3vfg My Dart ,and im just getting started...
Re: Anyone see a problem with my rollbars ??? [Re: Ron Silva] #558698
12/20/09 10:27 PM
12/20/09 10:27 PM
Sherman Texas
T
The Shocker Offline OP
mopar
The Shocker  Offline OP
mopar
T

Sherman Texas
Quote:

I think that roll bar looks great for the time you had and it looks safe enough to me and I think it will pass tech for sure.

But I am going to say something just so others will have the info.

Rule book says the main hoop has to be attached to the "rocker sill". MOST tech's won't ding you on this. But, you want to keep the main hoop from pushing those 6X6 plates through the floorpan.

If you really wanted to make it safer you can add the 2 bars that would go to the top of your frame ties like was mentioned. I personally think it looks fine and will pass tech.

You are right on the plates to the sill thing ,and its hard to see in the pics but the outside edge of the plate is bent up a bit onto the sill.It isnt however as much as you did it.I wish i had done it like you did ,but at the time i was affraid (because i didnt know) ,that the bar needed to be centered pretty well on the plate.Looking at that pic of your ,i see that it doesnt have to be centered on the plate.Thanks for the compliment on the install ...

Re: Anyone see a problem with my rollbars ??? [Re: The Shocker] #558699
12/20/09 10:48 PM
12/20/09 10:48 PM
Sherwood park, Alberta.
go green Offline
super stock
go green  Offline
super stock

Sherwood park, Alberta.
If the seat does not touch the main hoop I will usually weld on a upper seat mount bracket . This makes the seat more solid and helps the driver feel whats happening with the car. IMO.

That roll bar will pass .

6.50 @ 226 MPH 4.25 @ 186 MPH
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YX86DHGKBo0
Re: Anyone see a problem with my rollbars ??? [Re: The Shocker] #558700
12/21/09 12:16 AM
12/21/09 12:16 AM
USA
Ron Silva Offline
top fuel
Ron Silva  Offline
top fuel

USA
Quote:

Quote:

I think that roll bar looks great for the time you had and it looks safe enough to me and I think it will pass tech for sure.

Rule book says the main hoop has to be attached to the "rocker sill". MOST tech's won't ding you on this. But, you want to keep the main hoop from pushing those 6X6 plates through the floorpan.

If you really wanted to make it safer you can add the 2 bars that would go to the top of your frame ties like was mentioned. I personally think it looks fine and will pass tech.

You are right on the plates to the sill thing ,and its hard to see in the pics but the outside edge of the plate is bent up a bit onto the sill.It isnt however as much as you did it.I wish i had done it like you did ,but at the time i was affraid (because i didnt know) ,that the bar needed to be centered pretty well on the plate.Looking at that pic of your ,i see that it doesnt have to be centered on the plate.Thanks for the compliment on the install ...

Nothing is perfect. That is life. The rule book does not state that the bar has to be welded to the center of the plate. Logically the center would be strongest. I did not bend my main hoop (it was a kit also). If I did, I might have made the thing just a little bit wider at the bottom. Or, I could have made new plates that were 6X8 so I could have had a little more plate toards the center of the car.

You guys did a great Job. You should be proud.

Ron.

SRT DEMON ONE SEAT
Re: Anyone see a problem with my rollbars ??? [Re: Ron Silva] #558701
12/21/09 01:24 AM
12/21/09 01:24 AM
Alberta Canada
StrokerAspen Offline
top fuel
StrokerAspen  Offline
top fuel

Alberta Canada
Quote:

Yeah, when we did mine we kept the plates up right by the front corners of the back seat. (What a rodeo getting that back seat back in...) Putting them down on the floor pan moved them too far forward for my liking too. This way we were able to hide my bars a bit behind the post. It was more time and labour to have the hoop up, but that is how the kit came, and I am glad we did it that way. I looked at getting the S&W kit, but the Art Morrison was about the same price, and the shipping was less to the Canadian border. They did an AWESOME job on the cage fitment. They hadn't done a cage before, for an Aspen or a Volare, so they went and found a car, and measured it up.

Re: Anyone see a problem with my rollbars ??? [Re: TMP66] #558702
12/21/09 08:51 AM
12/21/09 08:51 AM
Menomonee Falls
DemonDust Offline
master
DemonDust  Offline
master

Menomonee Falls
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Looking at those welds on the right side support bar it looks like the welder did the on/off on/off of the trigger overlapping spot welds instead of a vertical up weld. Almost no HAZ indication next to the weld.
I hope he didn't use this method on the rear supports at the hoop.

Its called stitch welding.... works fine

Yes, it is called "stitch welding" and in this application it does not "work fine". It should have a proper 'stringer' weld. Stitch weld your new quarter panels, not a roll bar.

Here's some more on the subject....

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources/communities/mboard/archive/index.php/t-5923.html

Maybe some certified welders will jump in here also.

I took a look at the pic you guys are referring to..

IMO that is a very bad weld and not safe. But it's not the reason you guys are talking about.

I'll explain, If you look at the weld closely the arcs point up not down (I hope this makes sense to you guys). If the arcs point up that means the welder made the number one mistake, unless of course the car was upside down when he welded it.

What I am saying is he did a vertical down weld which is never acceptable on any critical or structural weld. Vert down weld are only good for sheetmetal, tacs, or other non critical areas. But still you should never pactice or get used to this method.

Just my

SDG Motorsports
Hellcat Demon and Redeye Supercharger CNC Porting
https://www.sdgmotorsports.com/
Re: Anyone see a problem with my rollbars ??? [Re: DemonDust] #558703
12/21/09 09:34 AM
12/21/09 09:34 AM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
jcc  Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
J

Bitopia
If we are talking about the same weld, the short little down kickers being welded the "wrong" direction with "stitch" welding, with that large of welded joint, he could have soldered it together for all the loading (compression?) it will likely ever see, even in a crash, the tubing will fail much earlier, unless he was using 3/8" wall tubing, we are really chasing our tails here.

With all this 2 cents stuff, it might finally add up to something

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: Anyone see a problem with my rollbars ??? [Re: jcc] #558704
12/21/09 09:41 AM
12/21/09 09:41 AM
Menomonee Falls
DemonDust Offline
master
DemonDust  Offline
master

Menomonee Falls
Quote:

If we are talking about the same weld, the short little down kickers being welded the "wrong" direction with "stitch" welding, with that large of welded joint, he could have soldered it together for all the loading (compression?) it will likely ever see, even in a crash, the tubing will fail much earlier, unless he was using 3/8" wall tubing, we are really chasing our tails here.

With all this 2 cents stuff, it might finally add up to something

You are correct.

I was just looking at it from a certified weld inspector stand point. It would be rejected immediately by just visual alone, let alone NDT....

Were in the money now

SDG Motorsports
Re: Anyone see a problem with my rollbars ??? [Re: The Shocker] #558705
12/21/09 10:01 AM
12/21/09 10:01 AM
Swamps of South Jersey.
W
wildcargo Offline
master
wildcargo  Offline
master
W

Swamps of South Jersey.
Well here is my opinion, I welded for 40+ years I think that the down hand weld is not as strong as vert up but a lot of shops that do roolbar work use it. thay are putting a 20" gas line in down the street from me, welded down hand, E7010 just like we welded it back in the 60 . And to me mig welding is junk weld I have seen some of them atculy peel off By the way the cage in my car is miged vert up

Bud www.wildcar-go.itgo.com
64 DODGE
60' 1.433,
1/8 6.38 at 107.4,
1/4 10.08 at 132.02
foot brake, leaf springs
Re: Anyone see a problem with my rollbars ??? [Re: wildcargo] #558706
12/21/09 10:12 AM
12/21/09 10:12 AM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
If that weld has enough penetration it still going
to tear apart at the heat effected zone .... heat
effected zone is the weak point.... so all of this
is moot

Re: Anyone see a problem with my rollbars ??? [Re: wildcargo] #558707
12/21/09 10:21 AM
12/21/09 10:21 AM
Menomonee Falls
DemonDust Offline
master
DemonDust  Offline
master

Menomonee Falls
Quote:

Well here is my opinion, I welded for 40+ years I think that the down hand weld is not as strong as vert up but a lot of shops that do roolbar work use it. thay are putting a 20" gas line in down the street from me, welded down hand, E7010 just like we welded it back in the 60 . And to me mig welding is junk weld I have seen some of them atculy peel off By the way the cage in my car is miged vert up

Yes in certain applications vert down is ok. In a 6G application like you are talking about, there is a rod designed specifically for vert down. It's a pipeliner rod E7010-P1 this is made specifically for vert down on pipe.

SDG Motorsports
Re: Anyone see a problem with my rollbars ??? [Re: DemonDust] #558708
12/21/09 11:28 AM
12/21/09 11:28 AM
BX, CT, FL.
B
B1KILLER Offline
pro stock
B1KILLER  Offline
pro stock
B

BX, CT, FL.
This has been a welding 101 class

Re: Anyone see a problem with my rollbars ??? [Re: DemonDust] #558709
12/21/09 11:37 AM
12/21/09 11:37 AM
sweden
S
sshemi Offline
top fuel
sshemi  Offline
top fuel
S

sweden
Quote:

Quote:

Yes in certain applications vert down is ok. In a 6G application like you are talking about, there is a rod designed specifically for vert down. It's a pipeliner rod E7010-P1 this is made specifically for vert down on pipe.

Its a rollbar for gods sake not 1/2" thick plates!
Those welds is probably the strongest thing in the whole car.

Re: Anyone see a problem with my rollbars ??? [Re: sshemi] #558710
12/21/09 11:42 AM
12/21/09 11:42 AM
Menomonee Falls
DemonDust Offline
master
DemonDust  Offline
master

Menomonee Falls
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

The OP asked if anyone seen any problems. People started critiquing the welds. Being a nuke certified welder, I thought I'd reply on what I seen with the weld in question....

That is all...

SDG Motorsports
Re: Anyone see a problem with my rollbars ??? [Re: DemonDust] #558711
12/21/09 11:48 AM
12/21/09 11:48 AM
sweden
S
sshemi Offline
top fuel
sshemi  Offline
top fuel
S

sweden
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

The OP asked if anyone seen any problems. People started critiquing the welds. Being a nuke certified welder, I thought I'd reply on what I seen with the weld in question....

That is all...

I didnt meen to be rude or upset anyone, just wanted to say that that is a very good job done

Re: Anyone see a problem with my rollbars ??? [Re: sshemi] #558712
12/21/09 11:54 AM
12/21/09 11:54 AM
Eighty Four, PA
B G Racing Offline
master
B G Racing  Offline
master

Eighty Four, PA
Looks good,6x6 plates on the floor pan are acceptable on stock unaltered floors.Welds are better than 80% of the bars and cages that we have seen with certification stickers on.thumb:

Re: Anyone see a problem with my rollbars ??? [Re: B G Racing] #558713
12/21/09 02:01 PM
12/21/09 02:01 PM
s.w.fl
B
bonefish Offline
master
bonefish  Offline
master
B

s.w.fl
as far as the position of the bars ive never had a tech offcial or a cert where they made me sit in the car for a visual.but it looks like your OK if they do.

Post deleted by moparts [Re: The Shocker] #558714
12/21/09 03:54 PM
12/21/09 03:54 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Re: Anyone see a problem with my rollbars ??? #558715
12/21/09 04:46 PM
12/21/09 04:46 PM
Eighty Four, PA
B G Racing Offline
master
B G Racing  Offline
master

Eighty Four, PA
Quote:

Aside from all the weld critiques which was very educational, I have a question and am surprised nobody else picked up on it. Are you planning on using a 5 point harness? There could be a major problem. I don't know how tall you are, but if you are planning on routing the shoulder belts through the seat, you will fail. The cross bar cannot be higher than shoulder height and no more than 4 inches below shoulder level. If you are planning on routing the shoulder belts over and around and the racing seat headrest, than you could be ok if it is within the 0 to -4" or 90 degree driver to shoulder belts angle. If not, that bar will not pass. You should really check these measurements while seated to make sure you will be safe. Even if only going to run "low 11's"

On another note, it drives me a little crazy when folks say they are only going to go "this" fast. Guess what, someone that is faster than you will be chasing you one day and all hell may break loose and you are in the cross hairs of the faster car. God forbid you are ever in this situation. Do you want to plan for your car only going so fast, or plan on what could happen and know that you followed the guidelines to make sure you kept yourself safe? If what I said about your belt mounting measurements/angles are off, if your car were to fold on impact, your spine would be compressed/crushed from the shoulder belts down. Other than looking out for you, the bar looks like a job well done. Thanks for asking everyones opinion. If you want me to copy the rollbar and seatbelt sections of the rulebook for you, just drop me a PM
-Jason

No certification required until you need a cage.Roll bars only need the bare minimum bars,the size and 100% weld.IHRA,NHRA don't certify roll bars. Don't let anyone scare you,it looks fine and is functionally correct.

Last edited by B G Racing; 12/21/09 04:49 PM.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3