12/15/09 08:11 PM
12/15/09 08:11 PM
California
mickm Offline OP
master
mickm  Offline OP
master

California
doubt i'm going to go that far, yet... but i'm not happy at all with only getting a 275/60 under my road runner. by rolling the quarters and some work with a BFH i might be able to get a 295/60, and would probably be satisfied with that. but i'm curious....

with mini tubbing, it is just body work where you extend the wheel well inwards into the trunk, correct?

when you tub, you are doing the above, but more so. you are also moving the spring mounts inwards on the axle housing. then you have to move the forward and rear spring mounts inwards. on a b-body, i think i get where that would be done with the forward ones. the frame is there cross ways to weld a new plate or box to for the mount.

but on the rear i'm not so clear, how do you move the spring mount inwards?

also, not talking a full out race, like getting 30" tires under there, just something good for the street. do you use the same upper shock mounts?

how far do things go before you are talking serious mods and more in the realm of a full race car?

seems to me that it isn't that big a deal to move the spring mounts a few inches in on the axle housing?

does anyone have any good photos of a b-body tub?

thanks...

Re: tubbing and mini-tubbing [Re: mickm] #554766
12/15/09 08:15 PM
12/15/09 08:15 PM
Toronto
M
mshred Offline
master
mshred  Offline
master
M

Toronto
dont know how anyone else considers it, but for me mini tubbing consists of moving the wheel tubs so that they are flush with the framerail and doing the same with the springs (no point of just widening the tubs since the springs will still be in your way)...full tubbing involves big fabricated tubs to house tires that will have to go wider than the stock inner frame rails, usually involving some sort of 4 link/ 3 link/ ladder bar setup

Re: tubbing and mini-tubbing [Re: mickm] #554767
12/15/09 08:17 PM
12/15/09 08:17 PM
Dayton, OH
I
idriveagremlin Offline
idriveagremlin  Offline
I

Dayton, OH
I can send you some pics of my Dart. Mini tubbing is not that hard but it is more work than you think to do it right. I also wanted to ask you about shipping costs on your plug wires you have advertised in the hemi section. I would like to purchase them. You can e-mail me at bryandunaway@att.net.

Thanks, Bryan

Re: tubbing and mini-tubbing [Re: idriveagremlin] #554768
12/15/09 08:20 PM
12/15/09 08:20 PM
California
mickm Offline OP
master
mickm  Offline OP
master

California
Quote:

You can e-mail me at [Email]bryandunaway@att.net.[/Email]

Thanks, Bryan

email sent.

Re: tubbing and mini-tubbing [Re: mickm] #554769
12/15/09 08:21 PM
12/15/09 08:21 PM
Manitoba, Canada
DaytonaTurbo Offline
Too Many Posts
DaytonaTurbo  Offline
Too Many Posts

Manitoba, Canada
Quote:

by rolling the quarters and some work with a BFH i might be able to get a 295/60, and would probably be satisfied with that. but i'm curious....

Nobody makes a 295/60 anymore, however the big tire makers like hoosier and mickey can sell you a tire very close in spec, although not cheap like a regular rock hard street radial.

Quote:

with mini tubbing, it is just body work where you extend the wheel well inwards into the trunk, correct?

Yeah you basically cut the wheel well in half lengthwise and move it over a few inches, then fill the gap with some sheet metal. When done nicely, the casual observer would not know it's not stock. For a full tub, I would consider that as replacing the stock wheel tub entirely with an aftermarket piece.

Quote:

but on the rear i'm not so clear, how do you move the spring mount inwards?

For the front spring mount, you cut a notch out of the frame rails and move the front spring mount INSIDE the frame rail. For the rear spring mount, you just bolt the shackles directly to the frame rail. Of course stiffening it up with some metal plate would be a good idea. Then other than moving the spring perches inward on the axle you're done. If you do a google search, one of the mopar mags did an online article with pics showing the process.

Re: tubbing and mini-tubbing [Re: DaytonaTurbo] #554770
12/15/09 08:38 PM
12/15/09 08:38 PM
California
mickm Offline OP
master
mickm  Offline OP
master

California
Quote:

Nobody makes a 295/60 anymore,

yeah, 295/50. 1.2 inches wider, that would be tough. but the height would be nice...

Quote:

If you do a google search, one of the mopar mags did an online article with pics showing the process.

found this, pretty good...

dart mini tub