12/15/09 12:22 PM
12/15/09 12:22 PM
Arizona
69rrgrabber Offline OP
enthusiast
69rrgrabber  Offline OP
enthusiast

Arizona
I'm trying to understand what the benefits are and what would change if I put a rear sway bar on my 69 Charger R/T.

The car included a 10 year old kit from PST. It bolts to the axle with 2 U bolts and then uses a limk set which bolts to a bracket that I would have to install on the frame rail just ahead of the axle bumpers.

I have the kit already so I figured I would install it but wonder if it would cause suspension limitation the way it ties the axle to the framerails. This is a weekend machine with and warmed over 440, auto, Dana/ 3:54.

Thanks
Carl

"It takes a Mopar to catch a Mopar!" 1969 Charger R/T 440 1969 Road Runner 383 1970 Cuda 440
Re: Rear Sway Bar What is the Skinny? [Re: 69rrgrabber] #554337
12/15/09 12:42 PM
12/15/09 12:42 PM
So Cal
autoxcuda Online content
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Online Content
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

I'm trying to understand what the benefits are and what would change if I put a rear sway bar on my 69 Charger R/T.

The car included a 10 year old kit from PST. It bolts to the axle with 2 U bolts and then uses a limk set which bolts to a bracket that I would have to install on the frame rail just ahead of the axle bumpers.

I have the kit already so I figured I would install it but wonder if it would cause suspension limitation the way it ties the axle to the framerails. This is a weekend machine with and warmed over 440, auto, Dana/ 3:54.

Thanks
Carl

No earth shattering suspension limitations. Same situation as any stock sway bar with round bushing endlinks. Like the stock front one you have.

Sounds like an Addco unit. Not 100% sure that would fit around a Dana rear. You can mock it up without drilling the end link holes fairly easy.

They are not the best unit out on the market currently today, but it's what you have. Years ago I have picked up those Addco rear sway bars used at swap meets for real cheap and installed them on my Barracuda and Dart. They make a difference.

The Hotchkis and Hellwig rear sway bar uses a dogbone type end link that rotates more freely in suspension travel.

Re: Rear Sway Bar What is the Skinny? [Re: 69rrgrabber] #554338
12/15/09 01:39 PM
12/15/09 01:39 PM
S. Il. U.S.A.
5spdcuda Offline
top fuel
5spdcuda  Offline
top fuel

S. Il. U.S.A.
I think the first question you have to ask yourself when considering any modification from stock is: What are you trying to accomplish? In the case of the rear anti-roll bar if you keep the same rear springs you have now it will increase the rear roll rate. Is that what you want to do? If so, install it. Keep in mind that the factory used rear bars on only a few models. Even the HD suspensions seldom incorporated one. They did use a lot of front bars and higher rate springs. A front bar is needed in order to limit body roll without using intolerably high rate torsion bars. It is necessary to limit body roll in order to prevent excessive camber change [ camber goes positive in roll ] during hard cornering. Since the rear suspension consists of a live axle camber is unaffected for all practical purposes by body roll. If it was independent like the front than roll would be a factor. Another thing to consider is just how the anti-roll bar works. In cornering an anti-roll bar will try to lift the inside wheel. This doesn't matter much at the front of a rear drive car. At the rear it can make it harder to get the power down as quickly and as forcefully as you might wish. A high torque engine will overcome any limited slip rear short of a locker when the inside wheel is unloaded. I am not saying you shouldn't use the rear bar, just be aware of what it does and how it does it. It can help to reduce the understeer that I am sure your Charger has an abundance of. In any case putting it on isn't irreversible, if you don't like it you can always take it back off. Good luck.

Re: Rear Sway Bar What is the Skinny? [Re: 5spdcuda] #554339
12/15/09 04:18 PM
12/15/09 04:18 PM
Arizona
69rrgrabber Offline OP
enthusiast
69rrgrabber  Offline OP
enthusiast

Arizona
Thanks for the responses. I'm trying to take this in but am a little weak on suspension theory. I guess what I really want is just a bit better handeling, but I can't really define that in technical terms. Increasing the roll rate sounds like a bad thing?

The motor is built for torque. Car will not see a solom course and the track very little. I do have stock R/T 440 springs and KYB shocks. I have just gotten the car together and have not yet driven it enough to get a feel for the suspension yet. Maybe I'll wait before installing the bar to get a good feel for a baseline before modifying it.

Thanks
Carl

"It takes a Mopar to catch a Mopar!" 1969 Charger R/T 440 1969 Road Runner 383 1970 Cuda 440
Re: Rear Sway Bar What is the Skinny? [Re: 69rrgrabber] #554340
12/15/09 04:20 PM
12/15/09 04:20 PM
Az
Crizila Offline
master
Crizila  Offline
master

Az
Quote:

Thanks
Carl

IMO, one of the best mods you can make to a B body from a handling standpoint - weather you are road racing or going to the grocery store, it will "seat of the pants" improve handling. I added one to a C body a few years back and it became a different handling car. I have one on my late B body car ( factory install ) and although I only race this car, I have left the bar on. The rear of the car stays nice and flat on launch.

Fastest 300
Re: Rear Sway Bar What is the Skinny? [Re: Crizila] #554341
12/15/09 04:43 PM
12/15/09 04:43 PM
A collage of whims
topside Offline
Too Many Posts
topside  Offline
Too Many Posts

A collage of whims
Stock '68-'70 B-bodies "push" in corners (aka, understeer), and adding a rear sway bar will improve handling and keep the car more level when cornering. I added a rear sway bar to my '70 Satellite wagon and it transformed the car.
Ideally, you need to locate the end links so the legs of the bar that point forward are level (horizontal) with the car; you'll want to have the whole car up on jackstands, with the jackstands under the rear axle housing and ft control arms.
To understand the basic principle of a sway or stabilizer bar, take a paper clip, bend it into a wide "U" shape, hold the ends, and see what happens when you twist the clip.

Re: Rear Sway Bar What is the Skinny? [Re: topside] #554342
12/15/09 05:20 PM
12/15/09 05:20 PM
North Riverside IL & Lowell IN
GTXKen Offline
super gas
GTXKen  Offline
super gas

North Riverside IL & Lowell IN
I really want the Firm Feel sway bar on the GTX

Re: Rear Sway Bar What is the Skinny? [Re: 5spdcuda] #554343
12/15/09 06:33 PM
12/15/09 06:33 PM
Today? Who Knows?
1_WILD_RT Offline
Management Trainee
1_WILD_RT  Offline
Management Trainee

Today? Who Knows?
Quote:

I think the first question you have to ask yourself when considering any modification from stock is: What are you trying to accomplish? In the case of the rear anti-roll bar if you keep the same rear springs you have now it will increase the rear roll rate. Is that what you want to do? If so, install it. Keep in mind that the factory used rear bars on only a few models. Even the HD suspensions seldom incorporated one. They did use a lot of front bars and higher rate springs. A front bar is needed in order to limit body roll without using intolerably high rate torsion bars. It is necessary to limit body roll in order to prevent excessive camber change [ camber goes positive in roll ] during hard cornering. Since the rear suspension consists of a live axle camber is unaffected for all practical purposes by body roll. If it was independent like the front than roll would be a factor. Another thing to consider is just how the anti-roll bar works. In cornering an anti-roll bar will try to lift the inside wheel. This doesn't matter much at the front of a rear drive car. At the rear it can make it harder to get the power down as quickly and as forcefully as you might wish. A high torque engine will overcome any limited slip rear short of a locker when the inside wheel is unloaded. I am not saying you shouldn't use the rear bar, just be aware of what it does and how it does it. It can help to reduce the understeer that I am sure your Charger has an abundance of. In any case putting it on isn't irreversible, if you don't like it you can always take it back off. Good luck.

I think what Hugh is pointing out is typically Chrysler set the suspension up without a rear bar but with the non-symetrical rear spring & a decent spring rate... The cars do understeer as for the average driver that is percived as safe because the car will warn you with squealing tires & just not turn in well, you hit the brakes, weight transfers to the front & everything does what you expect... A car that oversteers on the other hand tends to be tail happy, you come into a turn to hot & the back end comes loose.. You touch the brakes & more weight comes off the rear of the car...It will bring the rear around so fast it will bite most drivers... A car that oversteers needs a very alert driver...

That all said older Mopars will beifit from a rear bar but typically the bars that are available require more than the stock front bar to keep from making the car oversteer..

The last aftermarket rear bar Ihandled was the same 3/4" diameter as the factory special handling piece but the arms (Levers) were 2" shorter so the bar was effectively 25% stiffer than a stock bar... For that to work I'd suggest starting with the aftermarket 1.125 front bar...

Re: Rear Sway Bar What is the Skinny? [Re: 69rrgrabber] #554344
12/15/09 09:03 PM
12/15/09 09:03 PM
S. Il. U.S.A.
5spdcuda Offline
top fuel
5spdcuda  Offline
top fuel

S. Il. U.S.A.
In the case of your "B" body it may help "handling" in that it will probably cause it to feel more responsive ie. it will probably "turn in" a little better. Another way of stating it is that it will rotate easier. Balancing it with a stiffer front bar would be a good idea which someone alluded to.
Regarding an increase in roll rate, it can be a good thing so long as you keep the front and rear in balance. It will keep the car flatter and up to a point more responsive. As with most things in life you can have too much of a good thing eg. Like most men I like women, apparently so does Tiger Woods and former president Clinton...well you can see where this is going. Lots of things are involved, total weight, weight distribution, center of gravity height. FWIW the single biggest thing you can do to improve handling are tires and wheels coupled with a good performance front end alignment by a knowledgeable tech.

Re: Rear Sway Bar What is the Skinny? [Re: 5spdcuda] #554345
12/15/09 09:31 PM
12/15/09 09:31 PM
Arizona
69rrgrabber Offline OP
enthusiast
69rrgrabber  Offline OP
enthusiast

Arizona
Ok, I think I got it. If I go with the rear sway bar then I need to upgrade the stock front bar to even things else or else the rear end could get away more easily.

Thanks guys, I'll start looking for a front kit. Any suggestions?

Carl

Re: Rear Sway Bar What is the Skinny? [Re: 69rrgrabber] #554346
12/15/09 10:29 PM
12/15/09 10:29 PM
Oregon
A
AndyF Offline
I Win
AndyF  Offline
I Win
A

Oregon
I'd suggest calling Firm Feel and talking to them. They know Mopar suspensions and have a full product line from torsion bars, anti-sway bars and shocks.

Re: Rear Sway Bar What is the Skinny? [Re: 69rrgrabber] #554347
12/15/09 11:28 PM
12/15/09 11:28 PM
So Cal
autoxcuda Online content
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Online Content
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

Thanks for the responses. I'm trying to take this in but am a little weak on suspension theory. I guess what I really want is just a bit better handeling, but I can't really define that in technical terms. Increasing the roll rate sounds like a bad thing?

The motor is built for torque. Car will not see a solom course and the track very little. I do have stock R/T 440 springs and KYB shocks. I have just gotten the car together and have not yet driven it enough to get a feel for the suspension yet. Maybe I'll wait before installing the bar to get a good feel for a baseline before modifying it.

Thanks
Carl

The front and/or rear sway bar will be a handling improvement. But they aren't very hard to add. So it would be more interesting and you'd appreciate the modification more if you drove it first without them.

Re: Rear Sway Bar What is the Skinny? [Re: autoxcuda] #554348
12/15/09 11:34 PM
12/15/09 11:34 PM
Indiana
MonGoo$e Offline
master
MonGoo$e  Offline
master

Indiana
had a 74 Challenger with a front bar, i added a rear bar after new springs/bushings in the rear and it was unreal how well that car handled.

my 73 Duster will get the same treatment.

My YouTube Channel, "Hoosier Garage"
https://www.youtube.com/HoosierGarage
Re: Rear Sway Bar What is the Skinny? [Re: 69rrgrabber] #554349
12/16/09 06:59 AM
12/16/09 06:59 AM
Kentucky
D
dfsmopars Offline
top fuel
dfsmopars  Offline
top fuel
D

Kentucky
Thanks for the post. Right now I am adding front and rear used factory sway bars to my '72 Charger. I am expecting better road manners.

‘72 Charger, 5.9 Magnum, Tremec 5 spd., Pro-Touring
‘14 Big Horn, Quad Cab, 4x4, 1500
Re: Rear Sway Bar What is the Skinny? [Re: dfsmopars] #554350
12/16/09 08:00 AM
12/16/09 08:00 AM
Franklin Co. Illinois
runinonmt Offline
mopar
runinonmt  Offline
mopar

Franklin Co. Illinois
PM jlhram.He has a rental Ram without a rear bar,says it's worlds apart from his with a bar, especially on on-ramps.
Ron

In sixty-five I was seventeen and running up one-o-one I don't know where I'm running now, I'm just running on Jackson Browne-Running On Empty