upstate NY 12839
T
TMBOOTS Offline OP
enthusiast
TMBOOTS  Offline OP
enthusiast
T

upstate NY 12839
After removing my 833 trans from a 68 dart, I noticed play in the front shaft. Is it normal to have some slop? The trans shifted fine, with no unusual noises, although the car did have a slight vibration that I could never pin point!

Re: 4-speed manual question [Re: TMBOOTS] #553628
12/14/09 01:10 PM
12/14/09 01:10 PM
Temecula, Ca.
Z
zzyzxpat Offline
enthusiast
zzyzxpat  Offline
enthusiast
Z

Temecula, Ca.
It is normal to have some play in the input shaft. Is it lateral play or thrust ( in and out)? The shaft is supported by a ball bearing in the middle, a pocket bearing ( needles ) at the rear, and the pilot bushing/bearing in the back of the crank. Pay particular attention the the pilot to make certain it is in good shape and properly lubed upon reinstall.
Is your vibration related to engine RPM, vehicle speed, or load?

" The last official act of any goverment, is to loot the treasury" George Washington
Re: 4-speed manual question [Re: zzyzxpat] #553629
12/14/09 03:32 PM
12/14/09 03:32 PM
upstate NY 12839
T
TMBOOTS Offline OP
enthusiast
TMBOOTS  Offline OP
enthusiast
T

upstate NY 12839
Quote:

It is normal to have some play in the input shaft. Is it lateral play or thrust ( in and out)? The shaft is supported by a ball bearing in the middle, a pocket bearing ( needles ) at the rear, and the pilot bushing/bearing in the back of the crank. Pay particular attention the the pilot to make certain it is in good shape and properly lubed upon reinstall.

It has some lateral play- thrust seems ok
I would have to say engine RPM 2-3000
I will be installing a fresh 383 when my builder finishes the rebuild. I most likely will install a new tubular k-frame from CAP as the car was a slant 6 converted by welding in mounts, hoping proper engine alignment will solve some issues.
THANKS for the info!!

Re: 4-speed manual question [Re: TMBOOTS] #553630
12/14/09 06:45 PM
12/14/09 06:45 PM
Fresno, CA
Jim_Lusk Offline
I Live Here
Jim_Lusk  Offline
I Live Here

Fresno, CA
Quote:

Quote:

I will be installing a fresh 383 when my builder finishes the rebuild. I most likely will install a new tubular k-frame from CAP as the car was a slant 6 converted by welding in mounts, hoping proper engine alignment will solve some issues.
THANKS for the info!!

Do yourself a favor and research CAP and customer feedback..........

Re: 4-speed manual question [Re: Jim_Lusk] #553631
12/14/09 07:36 PM
12/14/09 07:36 PM
upstate NY 12839
T
TMBOOTS Offline OP
enthusiast
TMBOOTS  Offline OP
enthusiast
T

upstate NY 12839
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

THANKS for the info!!

I couldn't find customer feedback on my search.Should I check out other suppliers?

Re: 4-speed manual question [Re: TMBOOTS] #553632
12/14/09 07:38 PM
12/14/09 07:38 PM
Fresno, CA
Jim_Lusk Offline
I Live Here
Jim_Lusk  Offline
I Live Here

Fresno, CA
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

THANKS for the info!!

I couldn't find customer feedback on my search.Should I check out other suppliers?

I would - OR - if this is just an engine swap go with Schumacher mounts.