aZLiViN
J
J_BODY Offline
I Live Here
J_BODY  Offline
I Live Here
J

aZLiViN
Still have the 94 Phord Quality Care nationals on a VHS tape (Firebird in Phoenix). It was the first all dodge final since the early 70's. Commentated by Steve Evans and Dave McClelland. Classic!!

Re: Lets talk about Darrell Alderman [Re: Monte_Smith] #55143
03/19/08 12:11 AM
03/19/08 12:11 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

NOT pointing any fingers at anybody BUT...

If I where to cheat, I would use nitrous off of the line just enough to get out ahead of the competition.
The mph wouldn’t change, but the elapsed time would improve. IF I where to cheat.

Re: Lets talk about Darrell Alderman [Re: DV8] #55144
03/19/08 12:20 AM
03/19/08 12:20 AM
Cascade, CO
reknapp52 Offline
mopar
reknapp52  Offline
mopar

Cascade, CO
Just a little footnote to the alleged use of NOS by the Dodge team--most of you probably remember back in the 90's, when you renewed your NHRA membership you could get a free T-shirt, or a video cassette tape of highlights of the previous season. If you watch the tape of the 1994 season, don't remember which race it is, but at that race Scott Geoffrion defeats Warren Johnson, I believe in the final round, and as they cross the finish line, you can see a spray of SOMETHNG going across Geoffrion's windshield. Most likely NOS.

I do agree that Darrell Alderman was one of the best Pro Stock drivers around, pretty cool head.

Re: Lets talk about Darrell Alderman [Re: reknapp52] #55145
03/19/08 01:11 AM
03/19/08 01:11 AM
Mt.Vernon IL
Twin Turbo Mower Offline
super stock
Twin Turbo Mower  Offline
super stock

Mt.Vernon IL
I do not live too far from fairfield IL, where the speed shop was located. The building is still there. It is on the right when you enter the town from the west.Just been sitting for long time with all the equipment,dyno and so on in it. They sold it to a guy after they quit. He tried it for about a year or so and then sold it back to them.
The first year they ran the prostock class they used a bigblock chevy engine.Why? Because they had no money from chrysler to sponser them properly and no one was making a good block back then. They would get a block from the foundry they had making them and it would be unuseable. It took the foundry a year to get them a good useable block.

How did they use a big block chevy? They cut the front of the chevy block and chrysler block. Welded the front of the chrysler block on the chevy block. Ran chrysler heads. They did good the first year and got some sponsorship.

They ran good for the next few years then chrysler again did not give them much sponsor money. Hence the bottle in the battery. The other pro stockers would complain they get beat off the line but were faster mph. The bottle was just enough at the start. Sullivan would tell the other drivers they did not know how to set up the clutch. He did have a small machine shop in the back of a trailer just to redo the clutch after every race.

Sullivan was a smart guy did what he could. He was the first to split the carbs to center them over the ports. After a few races they made a rule saying he could not do it. He does not get any recognition for designing the b-1 original heads. He did not like the prototypes and told koffel send me a chunk of aluminum. He made the basic design from scratch and sent it to him and said make me this.

They may have done what they did but it was because lack of sponsorship at the start and the end. Chrysler hasnt really been there every now and then. Just like they stoped making the mega block. I was at indy cylinder head a few years ago and ken lazzeri showed me a 750+ hemi engine that was a mopar prototype that they just srcatched and they bought it from them.

Jim musgrave still races at our local 1/8th mile track in a jaguar. Even Suiilvan still lives around fairfield .

Last edited by Twin Turbo Mower; 03/19/08 01:14 AM.
Re: Lets talk about Darrell Alderman [Re: Twin Turbo Mower] #55146
03/19/08 02:36 AM
03/19/08 02:36 AM
Adelaide, Australia
R
RVG440 Offline
RVG440  Offline
R

Adelaide, Australia
well,
What intresting reading. I was lucky enough to work on Scott Geoffrion's pro stock Daytona from the 94 season.
The car was bought from Mike Sullivan by Matt Sawyer of Adelaide, Australia.
I went to work for Matt for close to 2 years. that was the most winning round by round pro car.it came down to the final race between the dodge boys as to who would win the championship that year.
I have had that car right down to its underpants and have to say that there was NO way that there was ANY indication that the car had nitrious fitted.
There was no little holes in chassis or engine plate and nothing in the hood scoop nor patching up That i could see. And trust me I looked everywhere.
The batteries where a pain to take out off the car and between rounds i find that hard to believe that they would off done this.
Mike Sullivan is a legend in his own right as a brilliant engineer. Alot off todays clutches are based around his innovation.
Darrel Alderman is the best driver i have seen. He is the only man that i have seen keep his foot on the gas with the car way out off the groove.
Those pearly white teeth off his and the interviews by the late Steve Evans at the finish line will be missed.
Ohh by the way. the Daytona won the australian pro stock championship in its Maiden year off competition.
Darrel if you are reading this. Thank you for giving me the drive to go drag racing you are a legend in my book.
May Scott Geoffrion be praised for his brilliant driving techniques.
Regards Simon Lazarevski
Adelaide , Australia

H.R.E Hippo race Engineering.
Re: Lets talk about Darrell Alderman [Re: 47hudson] #55147
03/19/08 02:57 AM
03/19/08 02:57 AM
Utah
topbrent Offline
super stock
topbrent  Offline
super stock

Utah
Quote:

I know I am gonna catch a lot of heat for this but I just have to say I have no respect for anyone who has to plead guilty to federal drug charges. Cheater or not that shows a serious lack of character in my book and don't care if he ever makes it back to the show. He had it all going his way and threw it away over dope.

Not to condone stuffing your nose with coke, or spraying nitrous in a non-NOS class, but...

In all sports, the name of the game is WIN. Cheaters prosper because sponsors prosper. Exciting events pack the stands with fans who buy lots of merch. Car racing is no different than baseball/basketball/football/tennis. Everyone wants to see the longball or the dunk or the guy who can cut down the tree every week.

Who's to blame here? The fans, the player, or the sponsors?

Nothing new under the sun...we all love to watch a good ol' semi-civilized gladiator bloodbath.

I always liked watching Darrel Alderman race.

More than anything, I felt sorry that he got mixed up in drugs...he probably was/is too.

Re: Lets talk about Darrell Alderman [Re: RVG440] #55148
03/19/08 03:23 AM
03/19/08 03:23 AM
Worst Weather USA
493_DART Offline
master
493_DART  Offline
master

Worst Weather USA
Quote:

well,
What intresting reading. I was lucky enough to work on Scott Geoffrion's pro stock Daytona from the 94 season.
I went to work for Matt for close to 2 years. that was the most winning round by round pro car.it came down to the final race between the dodge boys as to who would win the championship that year.
I have had that car right down to its underpants and have to say that there was NO way that there was ANY indication that the car had nitrious fitted.
There was no little holes in chassis or engine plate and nothing in the hood scoop nor patching up That i could see. And trust me I looked everywhere.
The batteries where a pain to take out off the car and between rounds i find that hard to believe that they would off done this.
Mike Sullivan is a legend in his own right as a brilliant engineer. Alot off todays clutches are based around his innovation.
Darrel Alderman is the best driver i have seen. He is the only man that i have seen keep his foot on the gas with the car way out off the groove.
Those pearly white teeth off his and the interviews by the late Steve Evans at the finish line will be missed.
Ohh by the way. the Daytona won the australian pro stock championship in its Maiden year off competition.
Darrel if you are reading this. Thank you for giving me the drive to go drag racing you are a legend in my book.
Regards Simon Lazarevski
Adelaide , Australia

there you go. Glad to hear from someone that has hands on.

However.... the Avengers....

i still have that super stock magazine with the fire !

Re: Lets talk about Darrell Alderman [Re: 493_DART] #55149
03/19/08 03:27 AM
03/19/08 03:27 AM
Worst Weather USA
493_DART Offline
master
493_DART  Offline
master

Worst Weather USA
I also have the 95 ? season on vhs, with the Avengers--when they were winning--i used to YELL and SCREAM on Sunday--when they won !!!!

Re: Lets talk about Darrell Alderman [Re: 493_DART] #55150
03/19/08 06:42 AM
03/19/08 06:42 AM
Illinois
Hurst390 Offline
mopar
Hurst390  Offline
mopar

Illinois
Alderman drove for former pro stock racer and St. Louis engine builder Gary Duckworth...in a Camaro before driving for wayne county........
Rusty Glidden is the only Glidden that has ever admitted to using nitrous in a pro stock car...He told me how he did it at the us nationals a year or 2 later......Billy has never admitted it....

80 AMX Barry Allen 420 AMC Iron Heads Jerico 4-speed Advanced clutch 2950# street legal 5.97 115.73 Coles county dragway 10/28/07 9.42 142.96 best in 08(6.00 115.8 1/8) 5.97 116.2 in 09 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXSr201-tmA
Re: Lets talk about Darrell Alderman [Re: Hurst390] #55151
03/19/08 07:48 AM
03/19/08 07:48 AM
Adelaide, Australia
R
RVG440 Offline
RVG440  Offline
R

Adelaide, Australia
Alderman also ran a camaro for wayne county before they went to Mopar.It was white in color with red writing down the sides.

H.R.E Hippo race Engineering.
Re: Lets talk about Darrell Alderman [Re: Prostock] #55152
03/19/08 07:59 AM
03/19/08 07:59 AM
land of 10,000______'s
B
BDS871Cuda Offline
top fuel
BDS871Cuda  Offline
top fuel
B

land of 10,000______'s
Quote:

Darrell has nothing to do with racing anymore. He is busy running his construction company with his son Chase. I am good friends with his daughter Dara.

I met Dara at Brainard in August of 94. I have to say, one smokin hot girl back then in 94.
Haven't seen her since.
I was helping the Mopar Top Fuel team of Tommy
Johnson JR. that race. Dara and Tommy were going
out (dating) for how long, don't know. I do know
Tommy jr didn't care for me talking to Dara much.
Oh well, Dara found somebody better anyways.
After B.I.R. I didn't care to much for Johnson
jr. or sr. I think Mopar dropped them shortly
after that.
I put Darrell Alderman right up there with
the top of the bunch (coke or no coke) He was
one of the reasons I video taped every race
from 1990-1995.
And 1 more for Dara, the hottest
looking woman in the NHRA pits in 1994!

Snap your neck, mega G-force launch, is all I want!
Re: Lets talk about Darrell Alderman [Re: BDS871Cuda] #55153
03/19/08 08:28 AM
03/19/08 08:28 AM
GA
Boosted Offline
master
Boosted  Offline
master

GA
This post brings back memories.. My brother bought one of the last daytonas they had before going to the avengers. Mom also bought the crew shirts from Wayne County when they went out.. I guess I will go by there and see if I can get them from her seeing how my brother is out of racing.. Might be something nice to hang on the wall in a frame...

2011 RAM3500

1967 Fastback Barracuda with some go fast goodies.
Re: Lets talk about Darrell Alderman [Re: BDS871Cuda] #55154
03/19/08 02:30 PM
03/19/08 02:30 PM
City of Champions
P
Prostock Offline
I Live Here
Prostock  Offline
I Live Here
P

City of Champions
Quote:

Quote:

Darrell has nothing to do with racing anymore. He is busy running his construction company with his son Chase. I am good friends with his daughter Dara.

I met Dara at Brainard in August of 94. I have to say, one smokin hot girl back then in 94.
Haven't seen her since.
I was helping the Mopar Top Fuel team of Tommy
Johnson JR. that race. Dara and Tommy were going
out (dating) for how long, don't know. I do know
Tommy jr didn't care for me talking to Dara much.
Oh well, Dara found somebody better anyways.
After B.I.R. I didn't care to much for Johnson
jr. or sr. I think Mopar dropped them shortly
after that.
I put Darrell Alderman right up there with
the top of the bunch (coke or no coke) He was
one of the reasons I video taped every race
from 1990-1995.

She's still a very pretty woman. She's married and living in Washington, DC and works as an attorney.

Post deleted by Defbob [Re: Prostock] #55155
03/19/08 03:41 PM
03/19/08 03:41 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Re: Lets talk about Darrell Alderman #55156
03/19/08 05:58 PM
03/19/08 05:58 PM
City of Champions
P
Prostock Offline
I Live Here
Prostock  Offline
I Live Here
P

City of Champions
Quote:

Nitrous was not listed as an illegal additive in P/S the year of the controversy.However it did appear in the rulebook the following year

Power adders were. It was covered under that.

If it was legal to run, everyone would have had it and out in the open, not hidden.

Re: Lets talk about Darrell Alderman [Re: Prostock] #55157
03/19/08 06:23 PM
03/19/08 06:23 PM
Lynchburg, VA
Leon441 Offline
master
Leon441  Offline
master

Lynchburg, VA
Oh yeah what memory people have.

Scott Geofreon won the Dupont Challenge at VMP. They bragged of how much better the new track was than all the rest. As all the Prostockers were flying. In the middle of the season in rule revisions in National Dragster it specified Nitrous to be illegal in pro stock. It was not in that years rule book like it had been in the past. I think everyone was spraying just not displaying bottles. Why, because they didn't want to advertise the use. But, when caught the rule revision would come out. Much of racing is working the rules. You see a loophole you don't point it out or show off your trick of the week but, that does not mean you don't do it.

Career best 8.02 @ 169 at 3050# and 10" tires small block power.
Re: Lets talk about Darrell Alderman [Re: Prostock] #55158
03/20/08 01:00 AM
03/20/08 01:00 AM
land of 10,000______'s
B
BDS871Cuda Offline
top fuel
BDS871Cuda  Offline
top fuel
B

land of 10,000______'s

She's still a very pretty woman. She's married and living in Washington, DC and works as an attorney.

Good for her. I could see she was a kind person
at heart, just like her father.
Darrell Alderman was one of few that would take
time to talk to you, one on one, in the pits.
He would never act like he was above you.
Like I said (coke or no coke) he is tops
I my book.

Snap your neck, mega G-force launch, is all I want!
Re: Lets talk about Darrell Alderman [Re: BDS871Cuda] #55159
03/20/08 10:31 AM
03/20/08 10:31 AM
Jacksonville, FL
Chris2581 Offline
master
Chris2581  Offline
master

Jacksonville, FL
All I will say is that back then ol' DA was the nicest racer I ever met along with Scott.Both were eating lunch in the trailer and saw me and my son looking at the cars,and I was pointing out stuff to him,Darrell and Scott both come over,lift the flag barriers surrouding the pit space,and tell us to come on in.I asked them to please finish their lunch,we didn't want to bother them,but they insisted.They did finish eating and while talking to them they both remembered a poster I had them sign for my folks annivesary,and asked how they liked it.The big thing was the time they both spent with my son,they signed his shirt,hat and small collectable cars,made a huge impression to him that day.

Nautilus Racing-
We use Superformance gaskets and Turbo Action converters/products.
Re: Lets talk about Darrell Alderman [Re: RVG440] #55160
03/20/08 10:55 AM
03/20/08 10:55 AM
Left Coast
B
BobR Offline
master
BobR  Offline
master
B

Left Coast
Quote:

well,
Regards Simon Lazarevski
Adelaide , Australia

Do you think that they would sell you the car with any indication that they were cheating? Before you got it every possible fingerprint would have been wiped clean. And you'd think that with all this talent they would be able to qualify at least once in the next 5 years, wouldn't you? Oh ya, the only 4 blocks in existance were sabatoged(not stolen, mind you)and there was no possibility that they could EVER be replaced. I just love sunshine pumpers. -Bob

Re: Lets talk about Darrell Alderman [Re: Twin Turbo Mower] #55161
03/20/08 01:22 PM
03/20/08 01:22 PM
Michigan
Truck Y'all ! Offline
Truck Y'all !  Offline

Michigan
Just a relevant comment about Mike Sullivan... he's recovering in the hospital from a nasty fall trackside. He tripped over an air hose and went down >hard<... had some complications after that but he's going home soon.

I spoke with him last night.

Remember Mike Sullivan when you look at the Dodge Challenger Drag Package that Mopar will announce soon. His influence is all over the vehicle's features and many key aspects of the engines we're putting together come from Mike's experience.

Say or think what you will about that period, but Mike Sullivan has helped us tremendously at Mopar in recent years. His influence will help Sportsman racers as well. We're trying to make sure that continues to happen.

Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11