12/04/09 08:14 PM
12/04/09 08:14 PM
Toronto Ontario
Butt Ugly Offline OP
top fuel
Butt Ugly  Offline OP
top fuel

Toronto Ontario
Can get er in gear slick as can be if car not running. But while running having an issue getting first, second or reverse. Going through the gears is not an issue. Finding first at a light is a B****H
Rebuilt tranny going south or the clutch ? Any adjustments that might help me out ?
Thanks Guys

Faster Horses, Younger Women, Older Wiskey, More Money --- Tom T
Re: 833 Not Shifting ???? [Re: Butt Ugly] #545445
12/04/09 08:49 PM
12/04/09 08:49 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
lengthen the clutch rod

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Re: 833 Not Shifting ???? [Re: RapidRobert] #545446
12/04/09 09:22 PM
12/04/09 09:22 PM
California
mickm Offline
master
mickm  Offline
master

California
hopefully it is as simple as something like what robert said.

i rebuilt mine and it was fine for a year or more, and then became harder and harder to get into gear with the car at a stop. became almost impossible.

in the end i found that the shoulder on the input shaft was slightly touching the bearing (bearing, not bushing), in the crank, and my bell housing face squareness was about .015, where the FSM calls for about .008 max.

i fixed those two problems, and it mostly went away. still happens once in a while, so i know i most likely didn't find the real problem, but these two were definitely contributing.

has this just started happening? was it running ok for a period of time after the rebuild?

and does it grind going into reverse? that signals that the input shaft is still turning, and so the clutch not fully releasing. something to check out.

not the funnest thing in the world, but take off the inspection cover and crawl underneath with it running. have someone push in the clutch, and you should see the disc come to a complete stop. otherwise its not fully releasing.

get all the simple adjustments out of the way first...

Re: 833 Not Shifting ???? [Re: Butt Ugly] #545447
12/04/09 09:31 PM
12/04/09 09:31 PM
S. Il. U.S.A.
5spdcuda Offline
top fuel
5spdcuda  Offline
top fuel

S. Il. U.S.A.
The clutch is the first place I would look. I had a similar problem earlier this year. One of the small cylindrical springs in the clutch disc broke and a piece of it would lodge in such a way as to prevent the clutch from disengaging fully. In my case the problem was sporadic.

Re: 833 Not Shifting ???? [Re: Butt Ugly] #545448
12/04/09 10:05 PM
12/04/09 10:05 PM
closer to Canadian beer!
torkrules Offline
I'm neurotic
torkrules  Offline
I'm neurotic

closer to Canadian beer!
Quote:

Can get er in gear slick as can be if car not running. But while running having an issue getting first, second or reverse. Going through the gears is not an issue. Finding first at a light is a B****H
Rebuilt tranny going south or the clutch ? Any adjustments that might help me out ?
Thanks Guys

Jeff

I always shift mine into neutral at a light. Once and awhile it will grind into going back into first. I would say a clutch adjustment.

To stop the grinding into reverse, shift into second first before shifting to reverse. Reverse does not have a stop ring. Shifting into second stops the input shaft so it should go in pretty easy.

Re: 833 Not Shifting ???? [Re: torkrules] #545449
12/05/09 08:26 PM
12/05/09 08:26 PM
Toronto Ontario
Butt Ugly Offline OP
top fuel
Butt Ugly  Offline OP
top fuel

Toronto Ontario
Quote:

Quote:

Thanks Guys

Jeff

I always shift mine into neutral at a light. Once and awhile it will grind into going back into first. I would say a clutch adjustment.

To stop the grinding into reverse, shift into second first before shifting to reverse. Reverse does not have a stop ring. Shifting into second stops the input shaft so it should go in pretty easy.

Thanks John
Second to reverse used to do the trick now that aint happening. Best climb under it and adjust the clutch rod.

Faster Horses, Younger Women, Older Wiskey, More Money --- Tom T