Print Thread
suspension bushings #539149
11/28/09 03:40 PM
11/28/09 03:40 PM
Northern VA
1970440six Offline OP
1970440six  Offline OP

Northern VA
I am restoring the front suspension on my 70 Roadrunner 440 six pack car, I removed the lower control arm bushings last night and glass beaded the control arms. I would like to hear from users that have already done this.

Where is the best places to order the new bushings? I was looking at Hotchkis suspension and the picture they show for lower control arm bushings does not look like a direct replacement like they advertise? There are a lot of companies selling suspension kits, which is the best fit?

Opinions on polyurethane versus rubber bushings? What are the down sides of polyurethane?

I know there are a lot of questions in this post but I only want to rebuild this once, so any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Re: suspension bushings [Re: 1970440six] #539150
11/28/09 04:23 PM
11/28/09 04:23 PM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Replace them with rubber bushing. www.rockauto.com or you local auto parts store will have them.

The rubber bushing is pretty thin anyway. Not a whole lot of area to move around in. And the poly will transmit more road noise.

If you are doing a bunch of handling upgrades start considering the poly. But for a mostly stock suspension setup don't bother.

Poly lower bushings can be tought to fit right. You have to save the old outer shell of your old rubber bushing. If you allready removed that, you'd have to put in a new bushing, push out the center, and destroy it leaving the outer shell. Even after all of that, it can be tough to fit the poly lower bushing. I had to grind the OD of mine to get it to slide in. I think some of the outer shell vary in thickness and can change shape when getting pressed in.

Re: suspension bushings [Re: autoxcuda] #539151
11/28/09 04:44 PM
11/28/09 04:44 PM
Northern VA
1970440six Offline OP
1970440six  Offline OP

Northern VA
Wow, I didn't realize that the lower bushing required the old metal, I will order new rubber ones from Rockauto.

Is there any benefit to using polyurethane for the rest of the bushings? The upper control arm, sway bar, torsion bar, etc?

At this point, the only upgrade I plan on making to the front end is power disc brakes. In the far future I may go to power steering instead of the manual steering it came with but I am a ways from having the car on the road and would have to feel the manual steering before I change it out.

Thanks

Re: suspension bushings [Re: 1970440six] #539152
11/28/09 04:54 PM
11/28/09 04:54 PM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

Wow, I didn't realize that the lower bushing required the old metal, I will order new rubber ones from Rockauto.

Is there any benefit to using polyurethane for the rest of the bushings? The upper control arm, sway bar, torsion bar, etc?

At this point, the only upgrade I plan on making to the front end is power disc brakes. In the far future I may go to power steering instead of the manual steering it came with but I am a ways from having the car on the road and would have to feel the manual steering before I change it out.

Thanks

Yes, there are benefits for cars built for handling that don't want thier bushings flex under heavy cornering. But with that more road vibration is translated from the road to the body. Also, they can squeak over time.

Are you planning to do other suspension upgrades to your car??

I'd run moog 7103 bushings installed for more caster following the instructions below. Don't follow the instuction in the box. Even with manual steering, just 2 degrees of positive caster can give you more cruising speed. stability. Rest of the alignment specs can be set basically to stock.

Last edited by autoxcuda; 11/29/09 01:47 AM.
Re: suspension bushings [Re: autoxcuda] #539153
11/28/09 05:04 PM
11/28/09 05:04 PM
Northern VA
1970440six Offline OP
1970440six  Offline OP

Northern VA
Quote:

Quote:

Thanks

Yes, there are benefits for cars built for handling that don't want thier bushings flex under heavy cornering. But with that more road vibration is translated from the road to the body. Also, they can squeak over time.

Are you planning to do other suspension upgrades to your car??

I'd run moog 7103 bushings installed for more caster following the instructions below. Don't follow the instuction in the box. Even with manual steering, just 2 degrees of positive caster can give you more cruising speed. stability. Rest of the alignment specs can be set basically to stock.

[image]
]http://www.moparts.org/Tech/Archive/susp/img/1MAsusp4.JPG[/image]

I dont plan on any upgrades as far as for road racing, the only racing I would do is on the street and straight ahead. I have seen kits to change to rack and pinion, tubular control arms, etc. I dont plan on any of that, I think stock will suffice for me most of the time.

Re: suspension bushings [Re: 1970440six] #539154
11/28/09 05:11 PM
11/28/09 05:11 PM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

I dont plan on any upgrades as far as for road racing, the only racing I would do is on the street and straight ahead. I have seen kits to change to rack and pinion, tubular control arms, etc. I dont plan on any of that, I think stock will suffice for me most of the time.

Sounds like all stock will be fine for your car that has pretty much stock suspension. But run the rubber offset bushings deal for more caster, I think will be an improvement you will like without any road harshness or vibration added. That will give you most (if not all) of the caster improvements of a tubular A-arm without the cost or modified look.

Last edited by autoxcuda; 11/29/09 01:41 AM.
Re: suspension bushings [Re: 1970440six] #539155
11/28/09 09:12 PM
11/28/09 09:12 PM
Ontario.Canada
C
can.al Offline
pro stock
can.al  Offline
pro stock
C

Ontario.Canada
... go with rubber lower bushings,they are an interference fit and the rubber will deflect and provide some additional suspension.
don't tighten your lower a-arms until you are at your ride height or they will be permanly twisted and you'll wonder why they didn't last.
...those plastics styles need lube to install and just take up space...moving with the torsion bar..i think...al

Re: suspension bushings [Re: 1970440six] #539156
11/28/09 10:24 PM
11/28/09 10:24 PM
S. Il. U.S.A.
5spdcuda Offline
top fuel
5spdcuda  Offline
top fuel

S. Il. U.S.A.
I use Moog rubber bushings for the LCA and strut rods. Not all rubber bushings are equal, Moog is still the best IMO. I use poly for the UCA and the anti-roll bars. I also only use Moog parts for ball joints, pitman & idler arms and tie rod ends. IMO suspension and brakes are not the place to use the cheapest parts. After all they only hold the wheels on and stop the car.

Re: suspension bushings [Re: 5spdcuda] #539157
11/29/09 02:12 PM
11/29/09 02:12 PM
The Swamp
S
Sixpak Offline
master
Sixpak  Offline
master
S

The Swamp
Quote:

I use Moog rubber bushings for the LCA and strut rods. Not all rubber bushings are equal, Moog is still the best IMO. I use poly for the UCA and the anti-roll bars. I also only use Moog parts for ball joints, pitman & idler arms and tie rod ends. IMO suspension and brakes are not the place to use the cheapest parts. After all they only hold the wheels on and stop the car.

If someone made an offset UCA bushing in poly I'd say go with that, but since I haven't found one, your only choice is the K7103 from Moog. And yeah, lots of other front end suppliers used junk ball joints and the like. Stick with Moog. Use poly for the sway bar end links and frame bushings, and in the leaf spring front and rear bushings, rubber for the front end bushings.

Re: suspension bushings [Re: Sixpak] #539158
11/29/09 06:10 PM
11/29/09 06:10 PM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

Use poly for the sway bar end links and frame bushings, and in the leaf spring front and rear bushings, rubber for the front end bushings.

I run poly rear leaf bushings. I swapped those as one singular change. I could tell the resonance and vibration in the rear went up after that. Not earth shattering, but a change.

It's just a tradeoff. As with most things there are compromises.

Re: suspension bushings [Re: Sixpak] #539159
11/29/09 06:27 PM
11/29/09 06:27 PM
S. Il. U.S.A.
5spdcuda Offline
top fuel
5spdcuda  Offline
top fuel

S. Il. U.S.A.
I compromised on the rear springs. I used Moog rubber for the front spring eye [ I have the small diameter bushings ] and poly for the shackles. The small diameter fronts reduce the amount of bushing material and I think the shackle end is where most of the deflection takes place. The rubber fronts reduce resonance and jolts.

Re: suspension bushings [Re: 5spdcuda] #539160
11/29/09 06:44 PM
11/29/09 06:44 PM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

I compromised on the rear springs. I used Moog rubber for the front spring eye [ I have the small diameter bushings ] and poly for the shackles. The small diameter fronts reduce the amount of bushing material and I think the shackle end is where most of the deflection takes place. The rubber fronts reduce resonance and jolts.

Not a bad compromise. If I were going to pick one bushing I'd do the rear only too.