12/22/09 12:27 PM
12/22/09 12:27 PM
Morningside, Long Island
scatcity Offline OP
super stock
scatcity  Offline OP
super stock

Morningside, Long Island
Dave, So whats the deal with the part # on the sticker, early 71 started with # up until late 72?

Re: Door VIN Decal Inquiry [Re: scatcity] #535497
12/22/09 01:05 PM
12/22/09 01:05 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Dave, So whats the deal with the part # on the sticker, early 71 started with # up until late 72?

Hi Thomas! Thanks for the input. Like many automotive things that changed every year, the 1971 VIN decal began being used in the third week of December 1969. That is about the time where these were transitioned over to the new style. All 1971 vehicles made from August 1970 through the end of December 1970 still would have used the 1970 version VIN decal w/o the part number. EVERY vehicle made in the calender year of 1971 used the version that had the part number incorporated on the left side of the decal. There are many changes and details regarding these VIN decals from 1969 thru 1974. I am going to contact a couple of Mopar magazines to see if I can provide information for an article that features all the changes used for these decals. There were MANY variations of styles and fonts for the Belvedere, Windsor, Los Angeles, St. Louis, Lynch Road, Hamtramck, Newark and Jefferson plants. There were also mid year changes in styles along with other peculiar features to these safety labels. There is almost enough information to write a small book on this subject!

Re: Door VIN Decal Inquiry [Re: Dodge Don] #535498
12/22/09 01:34 PM
12/22/09 01:34 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Every single 70 Charger we have documented the door VIN decal on had the month spelt out throughout August and up to September 12th.

Here is another original St. Louis VIN decal for a Roadrunner that was built on SEPTEMBER 3, 1969. The car belongs to Mopar enthusiast (and great guy) Rod Glaser. I will also be posting one built in August but am having to go through every archived order to find the attached pictures of the original VIN decals. This takes quite a while to find the "needles" in the haystack. After I locate them, I place a call to the owner and ask permission to post the picture. We have a very strict confidentiality policy regarding the documentation that is provided to us by our customers.
As you will notice, this VIN number precedes the September 12th date that was used as a "line in the sand" for having dates switch from alpha to numeric characters. As I stated earlier, these fonts were assembly line "regular" protocol so one would have to assume that the St. Louis plant employees spelled the date out ONLY if the car was a Charger. I would imagine that practice would have been highly unlikely and without "simplistic assembly line" merit.
Another feature that no one has mentioned is the quotation marks that precede the VIN numbers. About 90% of the early St. Louis VINs incorporated this feature. I cannot find any rhyme or reason for the prefixed (") character. Possibly to help determine the positioning of the line information?!?

Re: Door VIN Decal Inquiry [Re: Dodge Don] #535499
12/22/09 03:43 PM
12/22/09 03:43 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

....specifically for 70 Chargers which were all built at the St. Louis Assembly Plant. We found that the Month was spelled out on the decal from the beginning of the 70 production run (August 1969) through to cars built on September 12th 1969 (SEPTEMBER 1969)...

Definitely not a "Charger only" thing! Here is another Roadrunner that had a sequential build date AFTER the previously listed Roadrunner VIN owned by Rod Glaser. RM27NOG1144XX had a spelled out date and RM23NOG113XXX had a numeric date. One thing to keep in mind is that the VIN sequence and SPD are NOT directly correlated to the actual date of production. The cars documented by Dodge Don may have between built within the same week (no way to know what day or week) even though they have VINs that are far apart!

(I found a few August built Chargers in my data base and am trying to find the scans in my customer archives. When I find them I will post the pictures to REALLY confuse this subject matter! )

Re: Door VIN Decal Inquiry [Re: scatcity] #535500
12/22/09 03:54 PM
12/22/09 03:54 PM
Houston, Tx
hemi68charger Offline
master
hemi68charger  Offline
master

Houston, Tx
Maybe it just depended on how busy the tech was that was creating the stenciled decal....... Adding fuel to the fire......

Troy

Troy
Houston Mopar Connection Club
'69 Charger Daytona 440 - auto - 4.10 Dana (now with 426 hemi)
'69 Charger 500 440 - 4speed - 3.54 Dana
'70 Road Runner 383 - 4speed - a/c (now with 440)
Re: Door VIN Decal Inquiry [Re: hemi68charger] #535501
12/22/09 08:02 PM
12/22/09 08:02 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Get a load of this VIN made in August. I think it might be the first Hemi vehicle manufactured at the St. Louis assembly plant!

NOTE:
This was Dave Stuart's idea of some Chrysler humor....he made me do it. All kidding aside, I found one of the August VINs with the date printed in the numeric font. When I contact the owner I will see if he will allow me to post it.

Re: Door VIN Decal Inquiry #535502
12/23/09 09:22 AM
12/23/09 09:22 AM
Long Island NY
yellow sixpack Offline
super stock
yellow sixpack  Offline
super stock

Long Island NY
Tom
My car was a Nov. 69 build had numerical door decal. Told the body shop that did my car to be careful and not damage it. Its gone.
Hey..I think these guys like you. Merry Christmas.

If you can't be smart.....don't be stupid!
Re: Door VIN Decal Inquiry [Re: yellow sixpack] #535503
12/23/09 10:18 AM
12/23/09 10:18 AM
Morningside, Long Island
scatcity Offline OP
super stock
scatcity  Offline OP
super stock

Morningside, Long Island
Quote:

Tom
My car was a Nov. 69 build had numerical door decal. Told the body shop that did my car to be careful and not damage it. Its gone.

Yeah shocker, an overzealous body person with an 80 grit D/A in a zone. Then you get that look from them... . A subject for another thread..

Re: Door VIN Decal Inquiry [Re: scatcity] #535504
12/23/09 04:05 PM
12/23/09 04:05 PM
So Cal
GoManGo70Bee Offline
super street
GoManGo70Bee  Offline
super street

So Cal
My 70 Bee also has the month spelled out.

70 Superbee 383 4 speed 70 Hurst 300 67 Dart sedan 74 Ramcharger 03 Hemi Ram 1500 4X4
Re: Door VIN Decal Inquiry [Re: GoManGo70Bee] #535505
12/23/09 08:06 PM
12/23/09 08:06 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I finally went to the 70 Charger Registry to look at the link (concerning these decals) that started in 2005. The problem with that particular research is that it was based on input from forum members who were trying to change reality with a predetermined hypothesis. I think they came up with 5 cars that had AUGUST printed and 4 cars with SEPTEMBER. Nine cars to base a "line in the sand" conclusion for ALL vehicles built prior to September 12th, 1969!?! I see this happen in many areas of the hobby concerning all automotive manufacturers. As car enthusiasts we (sometimes) attempt to sensationalize our prized possessions with stories that make the past seem a little more magical. The bottom line is that....there is no bottom line! Numeric and Alpha dates were printed for both months and the exact reasoning may never be determined. It was not a Charger only thing as proven by the Roadrunner vehicles that I posted. It was not necessarily a date thing because vehicles with lower VINs used the numeric date style while VINs with later sequence numbers used a spelled date style. The story told to me by St. Louis employee Bill Embree, makes sense with regards to employee "floaters" and how this might have occurred.
I will never state ANY exact reason for this VIN characteristic because there is not enough information to do so. The sad thing is that the other forums will convey incorrect information and (usually) never correct or update the scenario. I do not have an opinion either way because I never had anything to do with the engineering of these cars and/or their parts. I simply do the best I can to provide documented evidence and let the chips fall where they may. If any of my data is proven to be incorrect, I will be very appreciative towards the person or group that comes up with the revised information. The more WE all know the better and more interesting the Hobby becomes! History never changes.....just our perception and awareness of it!!

Merry Christmas Everyone!

Dave Walden

Re: Door VIN Decal Inquiry #535506
12/24/09 11:30 AM
12/24/09 11:30 AM
State of Flux
Dodge Don Offline
enthusiast
Dodge Don  Offline
enthusiast

State of Flux
Dave, that was primarily from 2005 and 2006 when there were much fewer members there. That said, we had 42 70 Charger owners respond (with no predisposed outcome agenda)and not a single owner of a 70 Charger at that time had a door decal with a numeric month format up until SPD of 915. Every respondant with an SPD of 915 or later had the numeric format. So I wouldn't call it a rarity when everyone with an early SPD had the same thing. As you saw, based on this thread I have resurrected the reseach to tap into the much larger membership base that exists today to get more info. I realize digging through your old records is likely a chore however if you have examples of original 70 Charger door VIN decals for cars with an SPD between 801 and 912 that used a numeric format I would love to see them...not being facetious...would really like to see them so we can better understand this topic.

Also, while I have used ECS myself and have the upmost respect for you and your company I don't appreciate being charactarized as creating our own reality. The reason we do research and gather information...be it fender tags, build sheets, window stickers, door stickers etc is to amass the data and let the facts dictate the results. We focus only on 70 Chargers and do not factor in any other model to keep it pure.

Specifically on this topic we knew there variances in the format of the door VIN decals and sought to understand if there was a pattern, format change dates etc so owners who needed new ones could know what format was correct for their car. When I ordered mine from ECS (908 build date with SEPTEMBER 1969 on original decal) I received the 9 - 1969 format back. After I contacted ECS again I got the correct format for my car. So I am one of those early 70 Chargers we are debating.

Merry Christmas.

Last edited by Dodge Don; 12/24/09 11:38 AM.
Re: Door VIN Decal Inquiry [Re: GoManGo70Bee] #535507
12/24/09 12:33 PM
12/24/09 12:33 PM
Morningside, Long Island
scatcity Offline OP
super stock
scatcity  Offline OP
super stock

Morningside, Long Island
Quote:

My 70 Bee also has the month spelled out.

GoManGo, Is your Bee a Lynch Rd or St. Louis car? And whats the SPD? My 70 Bee is a Lynch Rd car SPD 12/69 and my sticker is all numeric. Thanks!!

Re: Door VIN Decal Inquiry [Re: Dodge Don] #535508
12/24/09 01:18 PM
12/24/09 01:18 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

I don't appreciate being charactarized as creating our own reality......We focus only on 70 Chargers and do not factor in any other model to keep it pure.

Hello Don,
My comments were not meant to be condescending or rude by any means. But you have contradicted yourself in the above statement which supports my original point. Think of it this way. If you ONLY go to an apple orchard to do a study on fruits, how many different fruits will end up in your documented findings? You can't appeal to a specific group of car guys and use a biased segment of information to state generalities or base an absolute conclusion. Did you not see the original VIN photo I posted of the Convertible Roadrunner? Anyone viewing your data would conclude that this VIN (date spelled) characteristic was a "Charger only" thing. I have two August built Chargers in my data base that have the date as 8-1969. I have been going through files of old paperwork trying to locate the documented pictures. I promise that I will find them!!!

Once again, if anyone was to draw a conclusion from your forum data they would conclude that early Charger VINs ONLY used a spelled out date. What would spelling out the month for "Chargers only" actually accomplish? A spelled out month has nothing to do with identifying the model of the car. And how do you explain the 70 Convertible Roadrunner or GoManGo's Superbee that also used the spelled out font if ALL of the early Chargers "only" did it? Didn't you find it peculiar while doing your research that you NEVER referenced another model vehicle with this VIN characteristic? If you only research Chargers, what other vehicle data would you expect to find?

The other (non-Charger) vehicles built at the St. Louis plant display BOTH font variations within the SAME time period! Once again you would have to hypothesize that there was a special data entry and VIN protocol that was being used on the assembly line for "Chargers Only". Highly unlikely.

As much as I know you are committed to Chargers, this is not a Charger exclusive VIN characteristic. I have offered the facts regarding the thousands of these that I have reproduced over the past 11 years. I have no special interest or affiliation with any "special' model that would influence my findings. One thing I can say is that I have never seen another plant spell the date out on a VIN except for the St. Louis plant. (I might have done ONE for the Windsor Canada plant a couple of years ago but can't be positive.)

Just for the record Don, your most recent forum VIN documentation listing was May 31, 2009 at 10:40 PM. At that time, one of the members referenced a total of 4 cars with an August "spelled" date and 5 September cars. Keep up the good work!

Re: Door VIN Decal Inquiry #535509
12/25/09 01:45 PM
12/25/09 01:45 PM
Kingsburg Calif.
Quikshft Offline
master
Quikshft  Offline
master

Kingsburg Calif.
Hi guys, I'll just add some info and let you interpret. (if any is required)My 70 Bee project.

Re: Door VIN Decal Inquiry [Re: scatcity] #535510
12/26/09 11:56 PM
12/26/09 11:56 PM
So Cal
GoManGo70Bee Offline
super street
GoManGo70Bee  Offline
super street

So Cal
Im not near the car till Mon so I dont know the SPD but it is a St Louis car.

70 Superbee 383 4 speed 70 Hurst 300 67 Dart sedan 74 Ramcharger 03 Hemi Ram 1500 4X4
Re: Door VIN Decal Inquiry [Re: GoManGo70Bee] #535511
12/27/09 02:42 AM
12/27/09 02:42 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

One thing I have learned throughout this discussion is that the SPD has very little to do with when the car was actually built. The only way to determine the day a car was built is with the Factory Invoice. Dave Stuart is an executive with Chrysler and is an expert when it comes to the ordering and build schedules of vehicles. He used my business procedures to help me understand the way the ordering process works for Chrysler. Here is an actual situation that he used to illustrate the process.

I had a customer named Cliff who ordered a decal kit and some other items. His order was placed on Monday December 7, 2009. There were also about 15 other orders that were placed on the same day. On December 8, 2009 we received another 15-20 orders and this continued throughout the week. We couldn't ship Cliff's order placed on December 7th because we were out of 1970 B Body Jacking Instruction decals. (We won't ship incomplete orders.) I was not able to ship his order until December 22nd because the new Jacking decals were printed on Friday December 18th. During this time, we still shipped many orders that had been called in AFTER Cliff had placed his order on the 7th. Cliff's order sat (as well as anyone else who had ordered a 1970 B Body kit) while the others were shipped. If you reference our files, the dates will show Cliff's order being processed BEFORE all of the other orders, even though it went out AFTERWARD. The only way to determine the actual shipping date would be to go into the shipping records to see when the items were shipped. That is basically the same scenario that happened when these cars were built.

The Fender Tag date almost never represented the actual build date. Cars that had a specific assembly line date might not have been built for days or even WEEKS after their SPD. That is why it is difficult to determine PRECISE build information based strictly off the Fender Tag! For example, a car with a fender tag VIN BS23VOB110055 could have been built AFTER a car with a fender tag VIN BS23VOB110075. Unless the factory documented a reason for production glitches, you may NEVER find out why there were delays in production. That is what I have been trying to convey to Dodge Don with regards to VIN numbers. Attempting to determine alpha versus numeric fonts based on vehicle sequence numbers is a waste of time. A Broadcast sheet is also useless when trying to determine the actual build date of a vehicle. I hope all this jargon makes sense.

DW

Re: Door VIN Decal Inquiry #535512
01/28/10 02:40 PM
01/28/10 02:40 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Here is one that conflicts with the "St. Louis/Charger only" plant theory concerning a spelled out month for a VIN label. This is the second sample that I have recently found like this from the Hamtramck plant. I have been going through my documentation (off & on) for the past few weeks trying to find the other photos that prove there is no reason (other than speeding up the manufacturing process) for this "spelled out" feature. Using the same logic that some have used for the St. Louis plant, should we assume that the Hamtramck plant was doing this to identify Challengers that were manufactured in August of 1969? Just what should we conclude from this particular VIN example?

Re: Door VIN Decal Inquiry #535513
01/28/10 10:20 PM
01/28/10 10:20 PM
Florida
C
cataclysm80 Offline
master
cataclysm80  Offline
master
C

Florida
Quote:

should we assume that the Hamtramck plant was doing this to identify Challengers that were manufactured in August of 1969? Just what should we conclude from this particular VIN example?

Now that's a question I can relate to Dave. I happen to have a 8-26-69 SPD Challenger built at Hamtramck that has lost its door VIN sticker at some point in its life. I planned on getting you to make one for me. (I have the original dash VIN, fender tag, engine, & trans, all matching) What's your best guess on format / layout / font?

Tav

Re: Door VIN Decal Inquiry [Re: scatcity] #535514
01/28/10 11:14 PM
01/28/10 11:14 PM
Turneffe
B
BJohnson Offline
enthusiast
BJohnson  Offline
enthusiast
B

Turneffe
LA and DM.

5766872-0.jpg (223 downloads)
Re: Door VIN Decal Inquiry [Re: cataclysm80] #535515
01/29/10 12:30 AM
01/29/10 12:30 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

...best guess....

Hey Tav! Those two little words are as legitimate as any that have been stated regarding this VIN debate. Either way would be correct!!! As you can see from the photos posted by BJohnson, there are more and more of these "spelled month" versions than we are aware of. His photo makes the third Hamtramck VIN that I have seen with the date spelled out. I think I may have rubbed another member the wrong way because I disputed his "facts" which were being advertised as guideline information in another forum. People need to understand that when they assume the role of authority, they have a tremendous responsibility to make certain that what they convey, be based on documented AND cohesive data.

As I said earlier, how can ANY hypothesis be substantiated when the majority of the collected information does not include the entire sampling base? If 10 different models of cars were manufactured at an assembly plant, how can ANY "unknown" be solved if 9 of the models are not even factored in the collection of data? When this takes place, history is re-written on false pretenses and a "new" pseudo reality is accepted. The only thing I can say with any certainty, is that I spoke with a Chrysler employee (Bill Embree) who worked with the Woman, that entered the data for these cars. They were both employed at the St. Louis assembly facility. In a nutshell, he said that the months were originally spelled out and Chrysler management changed the process to expedite and simplify the process by switching to numeric characters. Is it true? I don't know because I wasn't there to verify the information. Does it make sense? It makes a lot more sense than concluding that "spelled" out months were ONLY found on certain types of vehicles! As I previously stated, when someone is put in the position of information provider or mentor, they had better be sure of what they present to the masses. The hobby and it's members deserve the truth and not an abbreviated/incomplete story!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3