11/18/09 04:39 PM
11/18/09 04:39 PM
NM,USA
B
blown1969 Offline OP
blown1969  Offline OP
B

NM,USA
I just bought a new Tuff Stuff 100 amp one wire alt. for my 69 dart..My batt. is in the trunk and if the car sits for more than a day,the batt. drains. I disconnected the ground and put a test light between the neg cable and post..it shows that i have a short in the system (because it lights up).I have pulled all of the fuses in an attempt to locate the short but the test light remains lit..even with all the fuses pulled at once. The only way to make the light go out is to disconnect the alt.(it is wired into the "hot" side of a relay)....I thought that I could rewire the alt. directly to the switch but when I did that..the key would not turn the car off. So what do you think...is the one wire,internally regulated alt.at fault or do I have other problems???I have ordered a new wiring harness for the car but I would like to figure this thing out so I won't carry it over to the new system.

Re: Bad alternator or what???Need help [Re: blown1969] #529909
11/18/09 10:01 PM
11/18/09 10:01 PM
Colorado
D
denfireguy Offline
top fuel
denfireguy  Offline
top fuel
D

Colorado
Quote:

I just bought a new Tuff Stuff 100 amp one wire alt. for my 69 dart..My batt. is in the trunk and if the car sits for more than a day,the batt. drains. I disconnected the ground and put a test light between the neg cable and post..it shows that i have a short in the system (because it lights up).I have pulled all of the fuses in an attempt to locate the short but the test light remains lit..even with all the fuses pulled at once. The only way to make the light go out is to disconnect the alt.(it is wired into the "hot" side of a relay)....I thought that I could rewire the alt. directly to the switch but when I did that..the key would not turn the car off. So what do you think...is the one wire,internally regulated alt.at fault or do I have other problems???I have ordered a new wiring harness for the car but I would like to figure this thing out so I won't carry it over to the new system.

The alternator should be totally isolated. I am thinking there is a shorted or leaky diode in the rectifier stack inside the alternator.
Craig

2014 Ram 1500 Laramie, 73 Cuda
Previous mopars: 62 Valiant, 65 Fury III, 68 Fury III, 72 Satellite, 74 Satellite, 89 Acclaim, 98 Caravan, 2003 Durango
Only previous Non-Mopar: Schwinn Tornado