11/18/09 01:24 PM
11/18/09 01:24 PM
Florida
M
Mopars4Mark Offline OP
Mopars4Mark  Offline OP
M

Florida
Looking for all suggestions on how to bring new life into this old T/A fiberglass hood. Not being a fiberglass genious, what would be the best plan of attack to repair some cracks around the nose of the scoop and filling small pits throughout the surface of the hood. The underside does not show the age as the top side, but I'm sure it's dry just by the looks of it. What type of filler or resin is best suggested and what application methods is what I'm searching for to prep it for the Organosol? Thanks Moparts community.

Re: Original T/A Hood Restoration suggestions [Re: Mopars4Mark] #529799
11/19/09 06:53 AM
11/19/09 06:53 AM
MI, Lapeer
M
maximus Offline
super stock
maximus  Offline
super stock
M

MI, Lapeer
I have done a lot of fiberglass repairs over the years. For the cracks you need to cut a groove in the cracked areas so the resin can seep into the crack and give it some strength. Take a die grinder with a cutoff wheel on it and cut the groove following the crack and rough up the surrounding area a little for better bonding. Any fiberglass repair kit will work, cut up some of the fiberglass mesh into small threads and mix into the resin/hardener mix and apply to the cracked areas and let harden for a few days. Then go back and sand to flush. The small pits and chips can be filled in with bondo. After all repairs are made apply a few coats of primer/sealer to the entire hood, then apply your sandable primer on top. Block sand and paint. Hope this helps. I have repaired a few fiberglass hoods this way with excellent results, just take your time.

Re: Original T/A Hood Restoration suggestions [Re: maximus] #529800
11/25/09 01:46 AM
11/25/09 01:46 AM
Florida
M
Mopars4Mark Offline OP
Mopars4Mark  Offline OP
M

Florida
Sorry I haven't responded earlier, busy weekend out of state and now family here for the Holidays. I'll take your suggestions to use and promptly reply after the work is done. Good idea on routing out the cracks before using Marglass or other fiberglass repair. I think i'll cut a horizontal cut at the end of the cracks to stop the continuation of the cracks. That was a process on virgin metal splits at the assembly plant I used to work at. Either the cracked metal was drilled at the end of the split or cut before being welded, stopping the split for good. Wasn't sure about using body filler to fill pits, considered spraying a fog of resin at low pressure at a distance of about 20 - 24 inches from the surface to allow a fine mist to flow into the pits filling them accordingly. Could this also be an option?

Re: Original T/A Hood Restoration suggestions [Re: Mopars4Mark] #529801
11/25/09 06:36 AM
11/25/09 06:36 AM
MI, Lapeer
M
maximus Offline
super stock
maximus  Offline
super stock
M

MI, Lapeer
You can spray it if you want. They sell a fast build polyester primer that fills and builds up really good. Bondo is also polyester filler so one or the other makes no different. I just find bondo is quicker and easier to sand in isolated areas. Makes no different they all work.