Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Go with the Lunati the .509
Thats your oppinion and your entitled to it,but i've run the .509 in one of my previous 340 and was not impressed with it whatso ever,i've also run the .484 and thought it was another dog Mopar cam too..by the way the correct spelling is HERE!!!

Well stick to spelling as you motor skills seem limited. First your comparing a 340 to a 440 100 cubes is huge on the way a cam performs but I know you don't understand that. with the right advance and things know only to us guys that can't spell but know motors I could have made them work.
Course anal retentive internet spelling correctors are so 1998!!!

Forgotten more about motors then you'll EVER know hockey puck

Re: what cam? [Re: Dodgem] #525228
11/15/09 12:20 PM
11/15/09 12:20 PM
Brookeville, Md
Mr.Yuck Offline
Not enough dumb comments...yet
Mr.Yuck  Offline
Not enough dumb comments...yet

Brookeville, Md
Quote:

Quote:

Go with the Lunati the .509 is old mopar design and should be left on the shelf..

Shows most people in hear don't know crap! The old as people call them MP cams were actually way ahead of their time. the were true .904 lifter cams taking the big lifter and using faster ramps with less probelms when all the others just used the cheby lobes fitted to a mopar engine blank.
But woo now many of them use the marketing magic of wow we use the .904 lobes making use of the mopars bigger lifter to do X and y!
The old mopar cams properly installed and for the motor and Torque converter were and always will be killer cams or mild if that is your flavour.

Everybody sells a copy of the 509 !! Why because for a stout street cam it still works!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the 484 and 509 cams can work and they can be complete DOGS if the rest of your set-up doesn't match...DOGS. You need to look at your stall, gear, and figure out things like...am I going to run the car a lot? If the answer is no to those things then I'd stay away from the 509 or maybe both. As the 509 is a RACE cam. It DOES NOT have good street manners and it WILL NOT be impressive out of the hole. Now if you have good compression, decnt heads, intake, carb, headers, 3200+ stall and 3.91's or better and you want to romp it it can be a very impressive cam. You can run 11's in a heavy b-body if set up right. if not it will do no better than a stcok 440 stick.

[IMG]http://i66.tinypic.com/pui5j.jpg[/IMG]
Coming soon!!!!
Re: what cam? [Re: Mr.Yuck] #525229
11/15/09 01:14 PM
11/15/09 01:14 PM
ILL
mark7171 Offline
pro stock
mark7171  Offline
pro stock

ILL
More R+D time was spent on the MP cam, than the Lunati. It was designed to be as good as anybody could make.

Do you think they couldn't make fast ramps back then? Them old machinists had more skill in one eye, than all the CNC systems together.

MP cams stand to date as the most researched cams for the mopar engine, design and firing order.

Re: what cam? [Re: mark7171] #525230
11/15/09 01:59 PM
11/15/09 01:59 PM
Mi,U.S.A.
M
mike s Offline
top fuel
mike s  Offline
top fuel
M

Mi,U.S.A.
Quote:

More R+D time was spent on the MP cam, than the Lunati. It was designed to be as good as anybody could make.

Do you think they couldn't make fast ramps back then? Them old machinists had more skill in one eye, than all the CNC systems together.

MP cams stand to date as the most researched cams for the mopar engine, design and firing order.

Some of the old Mopar cams were fast ramp for the time.They are not now.General Kenetics was the only company pushing the envelope in the old days.Those cams are the basis for the fast ramp cams of today which overall are better.Nothing wrong with the old cams but time marches on as the technology gets better.

Leave the gun.......take the Cannoli's....Mike
Re: what cam? [Re: metcoll] #525231
11/15/09 06:11 PM
11/15/09 06:11 PM
windsor, onatrio canada
M
metcoll Offline OP
metcoll  Offline OP
M

windsor, onatrio canada
the rest of the combo...70 dodge charger 4100 pounds 4200 stall & 4.56 gears thx for the responses

Re: what cam? [Re: mike s] #525232
11/15/09 06:36 PM
11/15/09 06:36 PM
ILL
mark7171 Offline
pro stock
mark7171  Offline
pro stock

ILL
Quote:

Quote:

Some of the old Mopar cams were fast ramp for the time.They are not now.General Kenetics was the only company pushing the envelope in the old days.Those cams are the basis for the fast ramp cams of today which overall are better.Nothing wrong with the old cams but time marches on as the technology gets better.

disagree , we will look to our past for the next best. probably go back to the European racer type overhead cams, with the cam almost resting on the valve stem.

Or...will we be trapped with a OHV low style cam, and early 80's roller pushrod tech. Nooooooo!

I blame it on the fake moon landing, budget not going toward education.

Last edited by mark7171; 11/15/09 06:38 PM.
Re: what cam? [Re: goldmember] #525233
11/15/09 08:59 PM
11/15/09 08:59 PM
Canada
CrAzYMoPaRGuY Offline
I Live Here
CrAzYMoPaRGuY  Offline
I Live Here

Canada
Quote:

Let me start by clearing up a few things. The MP 292 measured @ the same point as the Lunati(and the lunati isn't a Voodoo,but an older Legacy lobe for an .842 lifter) measures 305 degrees or so,since the MP cams are ground by the cheapest source of the week on gang grinders(lowest for consistancy,but very fast and cheap). The MP lobes are NOT .904 lobe!! They will function with a .842 lifter,sorry guys,I'm really not trying to hurt any feelings but why spout garbage info??I'm not bashing the MP cam and have run them,I've also AB tested with other cams. Carry on and keep the internet thriving.LOL

Well, as I have actually used a dial indicator on many 509 cams over the years (.484 cams too) I would have to say you are mistaken on the 305 degree duration.
The advertised duration is 292 and not all 509 cams have even came to THAT spec when I checked them with a degree wheel.
What lifters a cam "will or will not FUNCTION with" doesn't really matter at all IMO. Are you suggesting a Voodoo cam will NOT function with "a .842 lifter" but a 509 MP WILL?!?!

CrAzYMoPaRGuY
Re: what cam? [Re: Mr.Yuck] #525234
11/15/09 09:02 PM
11/15/09 09:02 PM
Canada
CrAzYMoPaRGuY Offline
I Live Here
CrAzYMoPaRGuY  Offline
I Live Here

Canada
Quote:

the 484 and 509 cams can work and they can be complete DOGS if the rest of your set-up doesn't match...DOGS. You need to look at your stall, gear, and figure out things like...am I going to run the car a lot? If the answer is no to those things then I'd stay away from the 509 or maybe both. As the 509 is a RACE cam. It DOES NOT have good street manners and it WILL NOT be impressive out of the hole. Now if you have good compression, decnt heads, intake, carb, headers, 3200+ stall and 3.91's or better and you want to romp it it can be a very impressive cam. You can run 11's in a heavy b-body if set up right. if not it will do no better than a stcok 440 stick.

My wife's daily driver for years, 440, 509 cam, tunnel ram, 2x4bbl tunnel ram, STOCK CONVERTER, and 3.91 gears.
Power brake booster was a little unit out of a K car, the brakes performed as if the car was stock, the car was driven 24/7/365.

Completely absolutely 100% street drivable, had a lumpy idle maybe but that was about it, tons of torque, great drivability, it wasn't even that bad as far as gas mileage goes... lol

CrAzYMoPaRGuY
Re: what cam? [Re: CrAzYMoPaRGuY] #525235
11/15/09 09:21 PM
11/15/09 09:21 PM
Gainesville,FL
G
goldmember Offline
master
goldmember  Offline
master
G

Gainesville,FL
Quote:

Quote:

Let me start by clearing up a few things. The MP 292 measured @ the same point as the Lunati(and the lunati isn't a Voodoo,but an older Legacy lobe for an .842 lifter) measures 305 degrees or so,since the MP cams are ground by the cheapest source of the week on gang grinders(lowest for consistancy,but very fast and cheap). The MP lobes are NOT .904 lobe!! They will function with a .842 lifter,sorry guys,I'm really not trying to hurt any feelings but why spout garbage info??I'm not bashing the MP cam and have run them,I've also AB tested with other cams. Carry on and keep the internet thriving.LOL

Well, as I have actually used a dial indicator on many 509 cams over the years (.484 cams too) I would have to say you are mistaken on the 305 degree duration.
The advertised duration is 292 and not all 509 cams have even came to THAT spec when I checked them with a degree wheel.
What lifters a cam "will or will not FUNCTION with" doesn't really matter at all IMO. Are you suggesting a Voodoo cam will NOT function with "a .842 lifter" but a 509 MP WILL?!?!

At what point were you checking duration?Can you give some details? I've seen 3 MP cams on a cam doctor(generally very accurate) and none were that close to advertised numbers. Some real smart internet guru claimed the MP cams are .904 profiles which isn't true, the voodoo cams for a mopar will NOT work with a .842 lifter. Does it matter? Well it depends. Another thing,the Lunati cam isn't a VooDoo as I've already stated.

Last edited by goldmember; 11/15/09 09:22 PM.
Re: what cam? [Re: goldmember] #525236
11/15/09 09:40 PM
11/15/09 09:40 PM
Canada
CrAzYMoPaRGuY Offline
I Live Here
CrAzYMoPaRGuY  Offline
I Live Here

Canada
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

At what point were you checking duration?Can you give some details? I've seen 3 MP cams on a cam doctor(generally very accurate) and none were that close to advertised numbers. Some real smart internet guru claimed the MP cams are .904 profiles which isn't true, the voodoo cams for a mopar will NOT work with a .842 lifter. Does it matter? Well it depends. Another thing,the Lunati cam isn't a VooDoo as I've already stated.

I've tossed MP 237 cams on a dial indicator and gotten less than 290 duration with a pretty danged big Moroso degree wheel. We were initially checking the lift, which was close to the .340 mark... I thought the lift was closer than the duration to be honest.
Let me rephrase the second part for you.... Can a Lunati cam "NOT function with an .842 lifter" but the MP 509/292 CAN?!?!

I'll tell ya what, I can definitely say I've never tested either cam with an .842 lifter, but if one cam WILL FUNCTION, in YOUR opinion with those lifters, I'm willing to bet the other cam "will function" just as well with the same lifters.
Not that it would matter...

CrAzYMoPaRGuY
Re: what cam? [Re: goldmember] #525237
11/15/09 09:51 PM
11/15/09 09:51 PM
Canada
CrAzYMoPaRGuY Offline
I Live Here
CrAzYMoPaRGuY  Offline
I Live Here

Canada
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

What are you measuring duration from, base lobe, .005", .006", or?

CrAzYMoPaRGuY
Re: what cam? [Re: CrAzYMoPaRGuY] #525238
11/15/09 10:49 PM
11/15/09 10:49 PM
Gainesville,FL
G
goldmember Offline
master
goldmember  Offline
master
G

Gainesville,FL
Again I ask,what checking height did you use? You mention the Voodoo cam(which this Lunati isn't one of),again this is an .842 lobe,like the MP.The mopar voodoo cams WON'T work with less than a .904 lifter.You brought it up,just want to be clear and not confuse folks. Understand?Yes,BOTH cams mentioned WILL work with .842 lifters,as I stated before,UNDERSTAND? As far as checking heights,the cam companies play games to make their product look better to the consumer. What checking height were you using to come up with 290 degrees? All this is pretty far off the OP's question and I'm out of here,I'll let the experts handle it.LOL To the OP,I wouldn't use either cam now that more info has been given.Good nite.

Re: what cam? [Re: goldmember] #525239
11/15/09 10:56 PM
11/15/09 10:56 PM
Canada
CrAzYMoPaRGuY Offline
I Live Here
CrAzYMoPaRGuY  Offline
I Live Here

Canada
Quote:

Again I ask,what checking height did you use? You mention the Voodoo cam(which this Lunati isn't one of),again this is an .842 lobe,like the MP.The mopar voodoo cams WON'T work with less than a .904 lifter.You brought it up,just want to be clear and not confuse folks. Understand?Yes,BOTH cams mentioned WILL work with .842 lifters,as I stated before,UNDERSTAND? As far as checking heights,the cam companies play games to make their product look better to the consumer. What checking height were you using to come up with 290 degrees? All this is pretty far off the OP's question and I'm out of here,I'll let the experts handle it.LOL To the OP,I wouldn't use either cam now that more info has been given.Good nite.

I measured from .006".

Are you here to talk cams, or argue?

CrAzYMoPaRGuY
Re: what cam? [Re: CrAzYMoPaRGuY] #525240
11/15/09 11:49 PM
11/15/09 11:49 PM
Riverside, Ca
R70RUNNER Offline
master
R70RUNNER  Offline
master

Riverside, Ca
better then what's on TV right now

Current cars: 2000 Dak Quad Cab, 2012 Challenger,1970 Road Runner, 1994 Firehawk

1966 Coronet post sedan, 1988 Corvette, 2005 Magnum RT all SOLD

R70RUNNER<---VP Inland Empire Chapter of the MPM
Page 2 of 2 1 2