05/14/10 02:26 AM
05/14/10 02:26 AM
central Kentucky
moprod Offline
pro stock
moprod  Offline
pro stock

central Kentucky
Roll call for all SS/AH cars going to Bowling Green , NHRA Hot Rod Reunion.

Re: 2010 schedule [Re: meanfish] #521142
05/17/10 10:57 AM
05/17/10 10:57 AM
IN
P
pack attack Offline
pack attack  Offline
P

IN
warford is a maybe car still for sale

Jerry Lower [Re: pack attack] #521143
05/17/10 12:13 PM
05/17/10 12:13 PM
SW Ohio
C
cgall Offline
top fuel
cgall  Offline
top fuel
C

SW Ohio
If you go to the thread with the CCEvents pics #6 is a nice shot of Jerry Lower's outstanding Hemi S/S Barracuda. Jerry put some older Barton and Indy stuff together and has it flying, I saw him go 9.12 at C-Bus.

Hey Frito, why don't you buy Mel's car and I'll drive it for you.

Re: Jerry Lower [Re: cgall] #521144
05/17/10 04:26 PM
05/17/10 04:26 PM
KYbywayof WV
F
Frito Offline
top fuel
Frito  Offline
top fuel
F

KYbywayof WV
Mel Warford told me the Super Cuda would have to come off the side. I think I could have won over Randy, But!!! David Hakim drove my Challenger last year with a monster burn out and I was surprised how calm I was, even watched from the bleachers. So, who knows.

Re: Jerry Lower [Re: Frito] #521145
05/17/10 07:30 PM
05/17/10 07:30 PM
Detroit, MI
David Hakim Offline
super street
David Hakim  Offline
super street

Detroit, MI
Frito, call us when you're ready to step up the Challenger. Our good friend Dave Weber at Modern Muscle along with Mancini Racing can put more steam in that LC.

Here's my Daytona after our head and cam swap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7XHL0lXDcM

Last edited by David Hakim; 05/17/10 07:36 PM.
Maple Grove points meet [Re: David Hakim] #521146
05/23/10 09:18 AM
05/23/10 09:18 AM
Virginia
B
BOSSHEMI Offline
BOSSHEMI  Offline
B

Virginia
Any Hemi Challenge cars going besides the RBRE cars?

Re: HEMI Shootout [Re: moprod] #521147
05/23/10 10:15 AM
05/23/10 10:15 AM
Louisiana
S
Spyphish Offline
super stock
Spyphish  Offline
super stock
S

Louisiana
Quote:

Roll call for all SS/AH cars going to Bowling Green , NHRA Hot Rod Reunion.

I have a schedule conflict and will miss this one. Motor out for new design anyway.

CALMED THE QUAKE!!!(AGAIN!)
Fender covers? [Re: Spyphish] #521148
05/25/10 11:11 AM
05/25/10 11:11 AM
SC
Greg Offline
super stock
Greg  Offline
super stock

SC
I have seen a lot of SS/AH cars that have custom fender and front covers while working on them in the pits. I am assuming they are going to an upholstery shop or seamstress to have them made. What material have others used and is there anyone out there that specializes in making the covers?

Re: Fender covers? [Re: Greg] #521149
05/25/10 04:13 PM
05/25/10 04:13 PM
Louisiana
S
Spyphish Offline
super stock
Spyphish  Offline
super stock
S

Louisiana
Check with Ben at Holt Race Cars. His upolstery guy made mine which snaps to buttons on inner fender. Soft on underside and rugged on the outer which just wipes clean. Really nice and handy. Good luck.

PS One of the cheaper components on the car. Ha!

Re: Fender covers? [Re: Spyphish] #521150
05/25/10 09:17 PM
05/25/10 09:17 PM
SC
Greg Offline
super stock
Greg  Offline
super stock

SC
Spyphish,

Do you have any shots of the cover on or off the car?

Thanks

Re: Fender covers? [Re: Greg] #521151
06/05/10 10:35 PM
06/05/10 10:35 PM
Hampstead, MD.
Troublemaker427 Offline
super stock
Troublemaker427  Offline
super stock

Hampstead, MD.
Is the SS/AH fad over? This thread appears dead. Just a couple of years ago there were tons of new cars being built, shootouts all over and lots of smack talk from various engine builders. NHRA is having a shootout on a big stage at the NHRR and no one seems to care. Perkins debuted his new car lastweek and no one has mentioned it. Cars are for sale that were just built a few years ago. Has the ultra quick times by a few ruined the class or is something else like the economy? I'm just curious what everyone thinks.

Jody Aberts 1966 Fairlane 427 Troublemaker2 AA/NSS 1964 Galaxie 500XL 390-4spd. 1966 F-100 390-C6 1967 Plymouth VIP 383-TF 2003 Roadking
Re: Fender covers? [Re: Troublemaker427] #521152
06/06/10 09:47 AM
06/06/10 09:47 AM
Charlotte, NC
L
LSP Offline
pro stock
LSP  Offline
pro stock
L

Charlotte, NC
Quote:

Has the ultra quick times by a few ruined the class? I'm just curious what everyone thinks.

I think that may have something to do with it.

Re: Fender covers? [Re: Troublemaker427] #521153
06/06/10 10:40 AM
06/06/10 10:40 AM
Virginia
B
BOSSHEMI Offline
BOSSHEMI  Offline
B

Virginia
Jody, Great question. Everything was great when the cars were running 8.70-9.00 e.t.'s. Just about anyone could qualify and be competitive. Try a new convertor or gear here and there and adjust valves once in a while. Now with CW and RBRE turning 10,000 you might get 10 runs before a rebuild or dropped valve, broken rod etc. and you have Pro Stock style maintenance and costs. Will the car construction market correct itself like the housing market? How can you justify a used SS/AH car less motor and trans, costing more than a used Pro Stock roller? It costs between 75k and 125k+ to put a cage, 4-link and modified k, in one of these cars now. Finish it off with a 75k+ motor, and Bucky paint(tuki's the man) and you are at 250k+, and then go shopping for a toter and stacker! All the players are financially independent to start with but now instead of being in their 40's, most are 50-60 and between round thrashes are left up to guys like CW jr. and maybe Dave Barton. Eveyrone else loads the car up and heads over to Darrel Marvels for the Filets.(thanks Darrel) Without CW jr., Bucky, Jeff at Modern, and Dave Barton on this site it was a long, cold lonely winter and slow spring. No one talked about the new Perkins/Jenkins debut, or the record holding RBRE car hurting the new motor at Maple Grove last week. I'm hoping that CW jr., RBRE, Joe Clark (Bucky), and Jeff at Modern are thrashing and have no time to post here and that there will be 20 cars at the next shootout. I know that unless there is more traffic here on this site about who is and who isn't going to the shootouts I won't be booking any rooms.

please come home

Re: Fender covers? [Re: BOSSHEMI] #521154
06/06/10 12:53 PM
06/06/10 12:53 PM
Eighty Four, PA
B G Racing Offline
master
B G Racing  Offline
master

Eighty Four, PA
Quote:

Jody, Great question. Everything was great when the cars were running 8.70-9.00 e.t.'s. Just about anyone could qualify and be competitive. Try a new convertor or gear here and there and adjust valves once in a while. Now with CW and RBRE turning 10,000 you might get 10 runs before a rebuild or dropped valve, broken rod etc. and you have Pro Stock style maintenance and costs. Will the car construction market correct itself like the housing market? How can you justify a used SS/AH car less motor and trans, costing more than a used Pro Stock roller? It costs between 75k and 125k+ to put a cage, 4-link and modified k, in one of these cars now. Finish it off with a 75k+ motor, and Bucky paint(tuki's the man) and you are at 250k+, and then go shopping for a toter and stacker! All the players are financially independent to start with but now instead of being in their 40's, most are 50-60 and between round thrashes are left up to guys like CW jr. and maybe Dave Barton. Eveyrone else loads the car up and heads over to Darrel Marvels for the Filets.(thanks Darrel) Without CW jr., Bucky, Jeff at Modern, and Dave Barton on this site it was a long, cold lonely winter and slow spring. No one talked about the new Perkins/Jenkins debut, or the record holding RBRE car hurting the new motor at Maple Grove last week. I'm hoping that CW jr., RBRE, Joe Clark (Bucky), and Jeff at Modern are thrashing and have no time to post here and that there will be 20 cars at the next shootout. I know that unless there is more traffic here on this site about who is and who isn't going to the shootouts I won't be booking any rooms.

please come home

All good points that have merit to a certain degree but a lot of people lost interest in following the SS/AH races after experiencing the attitudes of the racers and engine builders involved as well as it just becomming a battle of the "bucks".There just didn't seem to be anyone that stood out and became the "hero" to cheer for.Don't get me wrong,I admire the effort that some put out and the innovative developments That CJ and Barton camp were doing.I had met CJ and he was as close to becomming the guy that I admired in the class and know Don Bales as a great person personally and wished him all the success.Many of the others are equally great people,but the attitude displayed by some who thought that they were "in a class above all others" or were demeaning in their responses to fans and racers certainly play a part as to why the"flock of followers and interest in the Hemi races" has deminished.I feel(only my opinion)that if these SS/AH racers and builders would follow in the footsteps of all the great "Hemi Heros" that we all remember(quite well) from years past they would have the following and support of many fans and racers.We all want heros to look up to,where have they all gone?As for me I will always remember the great ones and hold those memories close and try to emmulate all their traits that made them outstanding individuals in those days.I still remember sitting around a camp fire with Dyno Don,Hubert Platt,Malcom Durham and some others listening to their stragity on how they were going to whoop azz on Sox and a few other Mopar racers.Not knowing where my loyality was they talked freely and I carried that info promptly to the Mopar camp.The next day was highlited by the biggest,longest staging show down in history each racer trying to burn the other guy down and multipal burn outs through the rosin,each playing the same game.The staging show was better than the actual race.This may have lead to todays"courtisity staging rules.Back then you nodded your head when the flagmen pointed in your direction.So if you see me sitting in my rocker with a smile on my face,I'am just remembering that day at that little backwoods dragstrip and the "racing heros putting on the show" for the fans.

Hemi Shootouts [Re: B G Racing] #521155
06/06/10 01:34 PM
06/06/10 01:34 PM
DFW
M
mr_340 Offline
master
mr_340  Offline
master
M

DFW
I think BG has hit it spot on. I used to make the trek down to Belle Rose but tired of seeing one guy win all the races. Now I just wait for the Teutons and Spyfish to come up to Ennis and chat with some Cajuns here. No mudbug cookouts though. Joe Jr. is winning races with 9.0s and an old bracket motor instead of pouring money into PS engines with Hemi valve covers. I noticed Raybourn got rid of the SS car and now is running a Stocker. Sign of the times and economics.

Floyd Lippencott IV
Re: Hemi Shootouts [Re: mr_340] #521156
06/06/10 02:27 PM
06/06/10 02:27 PM
Eighty Four, PA
B G Racing Offline
master
B G Racing  Offline
master

Eighty Four, PA
Quote:

I think BG has hit it spot on. I used to make the trek down to Belle Rose but tired of seeing one guy win all the races. Now I just wait for the Teutons and Spyfish to come up to Ennis and chat with some Cajuns here. No mudbug cookouts though. Joe Jr. is winning races with 9.0s and an old bracket motor instead of pouring money into PS engines with Hemi valve covers. I noticed Raybourn got rid of the SS car and now is running a Stocker. Sign of the times and economics.

I don't mean any disrespect to anyone,but when you can get a personal relationship or build respect for a person or team you can champion their efforts and support them.I hate NASCAR but was so influnced by Somkey Yunick when I was younger that When I found out they were honoring him at the "last race of the century"(millinium) I made arrangements to fly to Alanta and get full axcess passes to just get to see him,shake his hand and tell him how much I respected him.The pictures of me shaking his hand is like a treasure to me and hangs on the shop wall.I'am so honored by having spent the time with Smokey and how receptive he was to me,that I will always cherish that moment with him.He died not longer after that.

Re: Hemi Shootouts [Re: B G Racing] #521157
06/06/10 02:49 PM
06/06/10 02:49 PM
ohio
H
HEMIDARTS Offline
master
HEMIDARTS  Offline
master
H

ohio
I have travled all over this country to see these HEMI cars.
From my perspective things have changed rather quickly.

Around 10 years ago i started really getting interested in the SS/AH class.
My father, brother and I would drive all night long to Indy to see the race.
We would watch the shootout and then drive back home.
It was the best thing ever! I waited all year for that 1 day.
Although i hated driving for 2 days, it was worth it just for those couple of hours.
I would talk to all of the drivers, and my favorite was Bucky!
About 4 years ago i met Lil Joe Teuton. This changed everything!
In my mind this is what Bob George is talking about.
Him and I talked for hours, and he ended up winning class at that race.
He let me be in the winner circle with him when they took pics.
Since then i have flown all over the country to be there when he races.
He and I are like flamily now, i have stayed in his house for a week at a time.
He has made the races fun for me again!
And at any race he shows up at, i feel he can win it.

Now it seems like this class only wants to be like * look at me, look at me *
They only show up to race where a shootout is.
I dont like that.
Joe is trying to win a national championship in an SS/AH car.

For the first time in many years, i dont think my family and I are going to Indy for the shootout.
It is not what it used to be.

Thanks Lil Joe and everyone else who made this class wonderful!

I hope 1 day it gets back to where its fun again.

Re: Hemi Shootouts [Re: HEMIDARTS] #521158
06/06/10 09:02 PM
06/06/10 09:02 PM
Louisiana
S
Spyphish Offline
super stock
Spyphish  Offline
super stock
S

Louisiana
I have had a blast the first year and all the racers have been super nice. Still fun.. I know Rains, myself and Comella will not make it. Jim Pancake is running, the Camos will be there. I see where Wolk and Hard were probably rained out in Il. I bet they go to BG. Lets hope they get a good turnout. I would go if I could. SLH

Re: Hemi Shootouts [Re: Spyphish] #521159
06/07/10 01:02 AM
06/07/10 01:02 AM
KYbywayof WV
F
Frito Offline
top fuel
Frito  Offline
top fuel
F

KYbywayof WV
BG,
Your post is once again right on. But you did leave out a couple of the most friendly and accesable guys in this class, Stephen Hebert and Mel Warford. They both seem to be "happy to be there".

Re: Hemi Shootouts [Re: Frito] #521160
06/07/10 06:28 AM
06/07/10 06:28 AM
Eighty Four, PA
B G Racing Offline
master
B G Racing  Offline
master

Eighty Four, PA
Quote:

BG,
Your post is once again right on. But you did leave out a couple of the most friendly and accesable guys in this class, Stephen Hebert and Mel Warford. They both seem to be "happy to be there".

Frito,I wasn't demeaning,disrespecting or leaving anyone out,I mentioned only a few of the "new hemi racers that I was familiar with".To mention all the great good ones would take too much space.Landy,Sox,Jake,Faubal,Flynn,Stiles,Strickler,Montgumery, and on and on,great racers and great people and friendly and approachable.

Page 21 of 43 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 42 43