Oregon
A
AndyF Offline OP
I Win
AndyF  Offline OP
I Win
A

Oregon
I'm working with one of the new 340 resto blocks for a big inch engine build and have a question on the water flow. There is a big hole in the deck at the front of the motor where it appears that cold water can flow straight from the water pump back up into the head and to the crossover in the intake manifold. I'm guessing that hole has to be blocked off or else a lot of the cold water from the radiator will just flow back out the engine without cooling the block or heads.

Any idea why that big hole is there? Does it just get blocked off with the head gasket and if so, why bother to put the hole in the deck? I see in Jim's big inch Mopar book that he talked about plugging that hole with a pipe plug but I think it could be done easier by using a head gasket that doesn't have a hole there.

So what do people do in this area? Plug the hole in the deck or use a head gasket with a blank? Or do people just let the cold water flow right back out of the engine without cooling anything? Or, in the alternative, I'm I just missing something and this isn't really a problem?

5589628-top.jpg (722 downloads)
Re: Water flow in the Mopar 340 block? [Re: AndyF] #517476
11/06/09 12:19 PM
11/06/09 12:19 PM
Ansonia, CT
C
CJK440 Offline
master
CJK440  Offline
master
C

Ansonia, CT
You are right, plug it.

Either method is acceptable. On my last motor the copper gaskets had a hole there so I installed a pipe plug in the block.

2017 Contusion Blue Challenger T/A 392 M6 "BLKNBLU"
Re: Water flow in the Mopar 340 block? [Re: AndyF] #517477
11/06/09 12:25 PM
11/06/09 12:25 PM
State College, PA
RyanJ Offline
moparts member
RyanJ  Offline
moparts member

State College, PA
Andy is this the first Small Block you've ever seen? LOL

All SB Mopars have that hole/passage there.... 1964 273 & on up....

Yes the head gasket typically blocks it off to force the water through the block/head.

Some Cometics (the R3 race version) do have that hole open, albeit in a small hole in the front. That is generally done for when you block off the normal water hole in front of block & plumb all the water to side of block via external water lines & route it in through the middle freeze plug. That way it disperses more evenly starting in middle of block & working it's way upward toward both ends....

Also INDY SB heads have both the front & rear large end water holes deleted in head to force water through the head in other routes.

BTW I got your intake & will have it done sometime next week.

Re: Water flow in the Mopar 340 block? [Re: RyanJ] #517478
11/06/09 02:07 PM
11/06/09 02:07 PM
Oregon
A
AndyF Offline OP
I Win
AndyF  Offline OP
I Win
A

Oregon
Doesn't make any sense to me why there is a hole in the deck only to be blocked off by the gasket. Maybe the hole was originally there due to core limitations or something? I don't have a Magnum block handy to look at but I think the factory engineers deleted that hole in the later blocks didn't they? Not sure why the put it back in the resto blocks.

I've seen some head gaskets that have water holes on both ends which would seem to cause a cooling problem but if they've been like that for a long time then it must not be a problem.

The Cometic gaskets that I looked at had a water hole at one end and blank on the other end. There weren't any instructions but I assume the blank end goes to the front to block off the water hole. Wonder how many guys install them wrong and have cooling issues?

Cool deal on the intake. Hughes has the heads finished up with their Stage III porting and the larger 2.08 intake valves.

Just waiting for the JE pistons now and then the shortblock can go together.

Re: Water flow in the Mopar 340 block? [Re: AndyF] #517479
11/06/09 03:26 PM
11/06/09 03:26 PM
State College, PA
RyanJ Offline
moparts member
RyanJ  Offline
moparts member

State College, PA
Quote:

The Cometic gaskets that I looked at had a water hole at one end and blank on the other end. There weren't any instructions but I assume the blank end goes to the front to block off the water hole. Wonder how many guys install them wrong and have cooling issues?

Again, it's not a Big block.... SB's have offset dowel pins.... it's impossible to put them on wrong unless gasket was machined incorrectly.

I just went & looked through every old composite head gasket I have here, Fel Pro's, MP, ROL etc & see none with water holes open on both ends. Not saying they don't exist, but whatever brand it is is an oddball.

Re: Water flow in the Mopar 340 block? [Re: RyanJ] #517480
11/06/09 05:34 PM
11/06/09 05:34 PM
Oregon
A
AndyF Offline OP
I Win
AndyF  Offline OP
I Win
A

Oregon
Ahh, I see that now. What threw me was I was looking at some head gaskets on-line that had double water holes but now that I look closer I see that they aren't SB Mopar head gaskets. Just a random head gasket used for illustration. I finally figured it out by counting the head bolt holes!

(The old Mopar Performance catalogs had this problem. If you look in the SB section the head gaskets pictured are actually BB gaskets. Throws you for a loop if you don't know better.)

Re: Water flow in the Mopar 340 block? [Re: AndyF] #517481
11/08/09 10:26 AM
11/08/09 10:26 AM
Ontario Canada
M
MattW Offline
master
MattW  Offline
master
M

Ontario Canada
I brought this up before and got no response. I think you need a small hole to let the air out. What do you guys think? Matt

Re: Water flow in the Mopar 340 block? [Re: MattW] #517482
11/08/09 12:33 PM
11/08/09 12:33 PM
St. Paul , Mn.
tubtar Offline
master
tubtar  Offline
master

St. Paul , Mn.
I read something about it.
Now I must dig out the book.
" How to build big inch MoPar's " says use a pipe plug with a .125 hole drilled in it.
This prevents coolant from exiting into the intake and not picking up much heat , and enhances water circulation around inside the block preventing it from becoming stagnant.
It also forces coolant away from the intake side of the head and toward the higher heat areas like combustion chambers , spark plug and exhaust side of the head.

Re: Water flow in the Mopar 340 block? [Re: tubtar] #517483
11/08/09 01:21 PM
11/08/09 01:21 PM
Oregon
A
AndyF Offline OP
I Win
AndyF  Offline OP
I Win
A

Oregon
A small hole there makes sense to me, what I don't understand is why is there a big hole in the block if that isn't a good design. Or if the engineer wants that hole to be plugged why don't they come drilled and tapped for pipe plugs.

Alternatively, if a small hole is the correct way to go then the head gasket would also need to have a small hole in it.

Re: Water flow in the Mopar 340 block? [Re: AndyF] #517484
11/08/09 04:27 PM
11/08/09 04:27 PM
Las Vegas, NV
dodgeboy11 Offline
super stock
dodgeboy11  Offline
super stock

Las Vegas, NV
Quote:

A small hole there makes sense to me, what I don't understand is why is there a big hole in the block if that isn't a good design. Or if the engineer wants that hole to be plugged why don't they come drilled and tapped for pipe plugs.

Alternatively, if a small hole is the correct way to go then the head gasket would also need to have a small hole in it.

It's cheaper to make a gasket with no hole. You need to think about how the water system works on a small mopar, or any engine that waters the block before the heads. The cool water goes into the front of the block and circulates around the cylinders. Small holes allow some cooler water to transfer up to the heads starting around the front two cylinders, but the large hole in the back allows the majority of the water through to the heads. The water then transfers through the heads forward to the t-stat in the manifold and out to the radiator. If the big hole were left open it would not transfer much heat out and the engine could overheat. The reason some put large plugs in there is to help strengthen the deck and keep the head gasket in place better. Block needs to be decked though. The magnum blocks do not have this hole in them to worry about.

Next thing on my todo list is to engineer a way to water the heads first. Going to require external lines, but it'll be worth it.

Re: Water flow in the Mopar 340 block? [Re: dodgeboy11] #517485
11/08/09 07:54 PM
11/08/09 07:54 PM
Smyrna, South Carolina
STEFF Offline
master
STEFF  Offline
master

Smyrna, South Carolina
What heads are you using?

Re: Water flow in the Mopar 340 block? [Re: dodgeboy11] #517486
11/10/09 06:50 PM
11/10/09 06:50 PM
Ontario Canada
M
MattW Offline
master
MattW  Offline
master
M

Ontario Canada
Quote:

Quote:

It's cheaper to make a gasket with no hole. You need to think about how the water system works on a small mopar, or any engine that waters the block before the heads. The cool water goes into the front of the block and circulates around the cylinders. Small holes allow some cooler water to transfer up to the heads starting around the front two cylinders, but the large hole in the back allows the majority of the water through to the heads. The water then transfers through the heads forward to the t-stat in the manifold and out to the radiator. If the big hole were left open it would not transfer much heat out and the engine could overheat. The reason some put large plugs in there is to help strengthen the deck and keep the head gasket in place better. Block needs to be decked though. The magnum blocks do not have this hole in them to worry about.

Next thing on my todo list is to engineer a way to water the heads first. Going to require external lines, but it'll be worth it.

There is an excellent arcticle over at moparchat.com about circle track cooling a smallblock mopar. I believe it was written by a member here. I think 40ford is the fellow.
Anyway's Ryan put together an R3 with this type of cooling and I think he had a hard time getting the motor to heat up.LOL Matt