10/29/09 08:03 AM
10/29/09 08:03 AM
The Netherlands
BigBlockMopar Offline
master
BigBlockMopar  Offline
master

The Netherlands
I can confirm that U-joints without circlips can also fail at 110mph.
That was my learning curve many years ago.

Re: what causes a driveshaft to fall out? [Re: RapidRobert] #510266
10/29/09 08:05 AM
10/29/09 08:05 AM
Ashburn, Virginia
A
ashburnmike Offline OP
mopar
ashburnmike  Offline OP
mopar
A

Ashburn, Virginia
Quote:

The ujoint box contains the new loose clips whether you buy it at a parts store or it is delivered to their shop. The shop should have pushed the clips onto the caps when they did the R&R. & if not they should have gave them to you when you picked up the shaft but there is no reason that they wouldn't have taken a few seconds to push them on the caps to finish the job before the shaft goes out the door to the customer.

Robert, I didn't notice the weren't there but I also didn't know enough to look to see if they were there. I'll certainly look alot closer this time.

Re: what causes a driveshaft to fall out? [Re: Reggie] #510267
10/29/09 08:09 AM
10/29/09 08:09 AM
Ashburn, Virginia
A
ashburnmike Offline OP
mopar
ashburnmike  Offline OP
mopar
A

Ashburn, Virginia
Quote:

Closely inspect that driveshaft if you plan on reusing it. Even a small ding can cause a vibration. Been there.

the shaft end is a little scraped up where it hit the pavement. I'm going to try and reuse it as my budget is a little tight these days. But if I sense any vibration during the test run...I'll replace it.I can imagine the vibration could turn into more serious problems.

Re: what causes a driveshaft to fall out? [Re: MoparforLife] #510268
10/29/09 08:10 AM
10/29/09 08:10 AM
Ashburn, Virginia
A
ashburnmike Offline OP
mopar
ashburnmike  Offline OP
mopar
A

Ashburn, Virginia
Quote:

By the way look at the other 2 cups that ate pressed into the drive shaft yoke. There should be cir clips on them also. They will be in a groove in the cup just to the inside of the driveshaft flange.

will do, thanks

Re: what causes a driveshaft to fall out? [Re: BigBlockMopar] #510269
10/29/09 08:12 AM
10/29/09 08:12 AM
Ashburn, Virginia
A
ashburnmike Offline OP
mopar
ashburnmike  Offline OP
mopar
A

Ashburn, Virginia
Quote:

I can confirm that U-joints without circlips can also fail at 110mph.
That was my learning curve many years ago.

110mph? holy mackeral!

Re: what causes a driveshaft to fall out? [Re: ashburnmike] #510270
10/29/09 08:16 AM
10/29/09 08:16 AM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Quote:

Quote:

Closely inspect that driveshaft if you plan on reusing it. Even a small ding can cause a vibration. Been there.

the shaft end is a little scraped up where it hit the pavement. I'm going to try and reuse it as my budget is a little tight these days. But if I sense any vibration during the test run...I'll replace it.I can imagine the vibration could turn into more serious problems.

I would take it back to the shop that put in the last joint , ask if he gave you the other clips or put then on the caps , and make sure you get them THIS TIME , and have them spin the shaft , makes no sense to the job twice ...

Re: what causes a driveshaft to fall out? [Re: phantomx] #510271
10/29/09 08:19 AM
10/29/09 08:19 AM
Ashburn, Virginia
A
ashburnmike Offline OP
mopar
ashburnmike  Offline OP
mopar
A

Ashburn, Virginia
Quote:

I kicked a driveshaft out of my 67 Barracuda once. I had just swapped the 3rd member and used a new set of u-joint straps. Turned out they were for the larger joint. They bolted on fine, but they did not stretch down over the caps, they fit flush without bolts. I didn't notice and used them. I took off down the road and up around 70mph my driver door started to vibrate. I thought to myself, "that's odd, never done that before", just then KABAAAMMM...thumpeta..thumpetaaaa. That sucked. Had the driveshaft repaired,installed with new correct straps, hammered the floor back down (big dent on rear seat footwell tunnel)and hit the road. After that it had a tiny vibe in the upper MPHs. A couple of months later I found out what the vibe was. I pulled off the freeway on a lonely offramp heading for my friends house and while gently pulling away from the stop sign, click, tink tink tink.. Looked under the car and there is the driveshaft on the ground with the yoke and half of the pinion still attached I'm glad that didn't happen moments before as I was playing with a Camaro at 100+mph. Appearently the original driveshaft pop-out episode caused a fracture in the pinion and it finally gave way. I am 100% certain on what straps I use on u-joints now. That learning curve nearly had a u-turn in it.
Travis..

the comforting part of this whole event from all the help and suggestions you guys made is...apparently I'm not the first...and certainly won't be the last...to be on the side of the road, laying under the car thinking..."what did I do wrong to cause this?"

Re: what causes a driveshaft to fall out? [Re: ashburnmike] #510272
10/29/09 08:45 AM
10/29/09 08:45 AM
Niles , Ohio
T
therocks Offline
oh wait.but hey.lets see.oh yeah.
therocks  Offline
oh wait.but hey.lets see.oh yeah.
T

Niles , Ohio
That rear dose have the large yoke does it?Over the years lots of things get changed.Like said look at the joint in the shaft.You should see 2 clips on the inside part.Two also go on the 2 ends at the rear and also like said check that the straps are for the small joint.I think somethin should at least be bent even if the caps flew off.Double check everything.Was the rear and straps in the car before and was anything changed other than the joint?Rocky

Chrysler Firepower
Re: what causes a driveshaft to fall out? [Re: therocks] #510273
10/30/09 11:52 AM
10/30/09 11:52 AM
Ashburn, Virginia
A
ashburnmike Offline OP
mopar
ashburnmike  Offline OP
mopar
A

Ashburn, Virginia
Quote:

That rear dose have the large yoke does it?Over the years lots of things get changed.Like said look at the joint in the shaft.You should see 2 clips on the inside part.Two also go on the 2 ends at the rear and also like said check that the straps are for the small joint.I think somethin should at least be bent even if the caps flew off.Double check everything.Was the rear and straps in the car before and was anything changed other than the joint?Rocky [/quote

it's an 8 3/4" rear. I bought the 3.91 assembly from Randy's ring and pinion. I had a shop install it because I didn't know how to do that kind of work. I had the same guys install the new u joint on the driveshaft at the same time. I was told that it needed to be pressed in place and not just hammered in on the driveshaft. I put the driveshaft in the trans and hooked it up (incorrectly, I know now) to the rear. I don't remember ever putting any snap rings in place when I put it in.
I'll take a super close look at it this time...and will take pictures and send them out to the board members to make sure I don't install it wrong again.
thanks Rocky
Mike

Re: what causes a driveshaft to fall out? [Re: BigBlockMopar] #510274
10/31/09 12:11 AM
10/31/09 12:11 AM
Missouri
68KillerBee Offline
master
68KillerBee  Offline
master

Missouri
First drive with my car... No windows (check), 50 degree weather (check), toolbox for me to sit on and bucket for mom (check), circlips missing (check). haha. made it around the subdivision then heard ping ping ping ping. dad realized instantly what he did haha. tow strap up the drive from the bottom of the hill. no wonder my mom doesn't like riding in it haha

Page 2 of 2 1 2