top fuel
HYPER8oSoNic  Offline
top fuel
H

Desert Tracker
Quote:

around..

the poncho was also running a rat...

A rat,huh? That's kinda disappointing. Seems most guys ran big Chevys or Mopars around NYC. There was a guy in Queens that had a beautiful 69/70 or so black 4-4-2 that ran a rat also. That's what I especially enjoyed about my friends Gremlin---ALL AMC! and he did win more than his fair share. Come to think of it there actually was an old Buick in my neighborhood & a couple of Fords but they were a true minority in my neighborhood---- probably 99% were Chevys

As far as my exposure and new-found respect for
AMC was after high school. I was in West Texas at the time. I owned a 72' Poncho T-37 (400 HO auto/w s-kit/2200 rpm converter and 3.73 gears). While cruising one night, I went up against
a 70' AMC Machine (390, 4sp, 4.10's).
We both jumped out at EXACTLY the same time, through first. Hit second and he pulled up a nose.
He hit third sooner than me and started pulling
away. I held on to 57-5800 and hit third and tried to keep pace to his right side door, but he
SLOWLY pulled away in fourth from me. He me by close to a car length through the marked quarter. I believe that, if I had
a bit more gear the tide would have turned. Fact
remaining, is that a 70' Machine showed me HOW
to run on a access road on I-10 in WEST TEXAS!
Come to find out he was running the factory hi-po cam! Impressive! I WAS a believer then and still today! They run!

"Stupidity is Ignorance on Steroids"
"Yeah, it's hopped to over 160" (quote by Kowalski in the movie Vanishing Point 1970 - Cupid Productions)
Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: HYPER8oSoNic] #506398
08/09/10 02:43 PM
08/09/10 02:43 PM
Phoenix,Az.
H
hemicop Offline
super stock
hemicop  Offline
super stock
H

Phoenix,Az.
The "trick" as everyone knows, is finding someone that's actually good with a motor. While all engines do basically the same thing and don't know what brand they are, each one DOES have its quirks & finding someone that knows them & can work with/around them is tough. Chevys almost everywhere are the most numerous so you'll get alot of people who know about them. The other brands, fewer in number, take a little more effort & searching. BUT if you find a good, say Ford machinist, you'll probably have a good motor. Here in Phoenix, I know of 2 seperate shops I'd take a Ford motor to,depending on the engine. There's tons of Chevy guys around here so that's not an issue. But a Mopar, B-O-P? Good Luck! Hell, I even know a good AMC guy here so even that one isn't an issue.
Back then P/S was a developing class so advancements were coming by leaps & bounds so guys guarded their "secrets" closely. Today streetracing can be won or lost at the drop of a nitrous pill or a change of a blower pulley so in some ways it's easier. Back then it actually took brains & skill to win at streetracing as the majority were N/A so you had a reason to be proud & boast! Sadly that isn't the case any more......

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: hemicop] #506399
08/09/10 10:08 PM
08/09/10 10:08 PM
Desert Tracker
H
HYPER8oSoNic Offline
top fuel
HYPER8oSoNic  Offline
top fuel
H

Desert Tracker
Quote:

The "trick" as everyone knows, is finding someone that's actually good with a motor. While all engines do basically the same thing and don't know what brand they are, each one DOES have its quirks & finding someone that knows them & can work with/around them is tough. Chevys almost everywhere are the most numerous so you'll get alot of people who know about them. The other brands, fewer in number, take a little more effort & searching. BUT if you find a good, say Ford machinist, you'll probably have a good motor. Here in Phoenix, I know of 2 seperate shops I'd take a Ford motor to,depending on the engine. There's tons of Chevy guys around here so that's not an issue. But a Mopar, B-O-P? Good Luck! Hell, I even know a good AMC guy here so even that one isn't an issue.
Back then P/S was a developing class so advancements were coming by leaps & bounds so guys guarded their "secrets" closely. Today streetracing can be won or lost at the drop of a nitrous pill or a change of a blower pulley so in some ways it's easier. Back then it actually took brains & skill to win at streetracing as the majority were N/A so you had a reason to be proud & boast! Sadly that isn't the case any more......

As far the CHEVYS' are concerned with you CAN build a smallblock from 265 to 454 in increments
of one cubic inch at a time!! FYI, Sorry Chevy guys!! Couldn't resist!
Well said, H-Cop!! The saddest part of street racing, besides the MANY DANGERS and DISONESTY is
lack of comraderie amongst fellow racers. Back then
there was a CODE of ethics. Now it's dog eat dog!!
Nobody cares!! What used to be considered a sport,
art or a state of mind even, is now
a way of America's youth to practice automotive "self-expression". It's a
two-edged sword that can either harm or help.

Last edited by HYPER8oSoNic; 08/09/10 10:09 PM.

"Yeah, it's hopped to over 160" (quote by Kowalski in the movie Vanishing Point 1970 - Cupid Productions)
Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: hemicop] #506400
08/14/10 10:50 AM
08/14/10 10:50 AM
Desert Tracker
H
HYPER8oSoNic Offline
top fuel
HYPER8oSoNic  Offline
top fuel
H

Desert Tracker
Yes, SKILL was the key back then. Drivers knew their cars inside and out, and IF they had a guy who built the combo for them, you can be SURE that they were in synch (not the group
younger set!) on it's PERFORMANCE!! Today it's mostly generic, where a single type of tune or
build ANYONE can drive!! It used to be to tune
the car according to how it felt to the driver!!
Lost art to be a good tuner!!

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: HYPER8oSoNic] #506401
08/14/10 08:06 PM
08/14/10 08:06 PM
Phoenix,Az.
H
hemicop Offline
super stock
hemicop  Offline
super stock
H

Phoenix,Az.
There are still afew around. My chassis guy is good with alot of different types but if you talk to him at length he likes the old mid 70s style P/S or S/S type cars & around here not alot of guys are familiar with with (he's from the Mid-West). I'm a bit older so the guys I know/hang around with are all familiar withthese cars but talk to the younger guys arond here & they're all about Mustangs, Nos, or tube-chassised cars that really aren't all that unique anymore except for the panels covering the chassis.
But to get back on topic.......... c'mon now, let's hear just what you ran back "in the day" and what did the car do e.t.-wise? I started but I can't believe no one would own up to there old combos--after all it's been decades, C'MON!

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: hemicop] #506402
08/28/10 03:12 PM
08/28/10 03:12 PM
Desert Tracker
H
HYPER8oSoNic Offline
top fuel
HYPER8oSoNic  Offline
top fuel
H

Desert Tracker
Quote:

There are still afew around. My chassis guy is good with alot of different types but if you talk to him at length he likes the old mid 70s style P/S or S/S type cars & around here not alot of guys are familiar with with (he's from the Mid-West). I'm a bit older so the guys I know/hang around with are all familiar withthese cars but talk to the younger guys arond here & they're all about Mustangs, Nos, or tube-chassised cars that really aren't all that unique anymore except for the panels covering the chassis.
But to get back on topic.......... c'mon now, let's hear just what you ran back "in the day" and what did the car do e.t.-wise? I started but I can't believe no one would own up to there old combos--after all it's been decades, C'MON!

We are all still HARDCORE runners, and some of our
combo's STILL work today. It's sort like Macy's
NOT telling Gimbel's their sales profits. Combo's
are well-guarded, to most, unless obsolete!! Help
is one thing, since it's generic, everbody wants to run better. But to tune the SAME combo, and be
better on the run than your competitor, isn't good
especially if it's EXACTLY the same down to the innards!! And you are NOT racing partners either!!
Not Good!! In match/class racing and NASCAR, I can see it. Maybe somebody else has a different take on this!! Food for thought!!!!

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: HYPER8oSoNic] #506403
09/04/10 03:21 PM
09/04/10 03:21 PM
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Wagonmaster Offline
I Live Here
Wagonmaster  Offline
I Live Here

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Back in the 70s, in Tulsa, we all cruised South Peoria Avenue. It was a 3 mile loop that moved very slowly, as many have described, to check out other cars and ladies. The exception was at 41st, where there was a traffic light. When north and southbound traffic would stop, it was normally with a couple cars lined up, by jockeying around for position. Engines would rev, the light turned green, and the 1st and 2nd gear drags began.

We aggravated each other on the street, but when the serious racing was at hand, we went out on the Okmulgee Beeline, where there was that magical 1/4 mile section we'd marked off.

A memorable Saturday night I was cruising and my buddy Rick was riding, because the trans in his Torino was out until Monday - waiting for parts.

Anyhow, we chose a 396 Chevelle and went to the Beeline, followed by quite a few other cars.

I had a '57 Chevy 150 2 door sedan. Rick - due to where he worked - had helped me put in mini-tubs [remember, 1975], the rear had been narrowed a few inches, the 10" chrome reverse wheels were shod with Marsh's racing tires. It was a seriously built 327, backed with a 4-gear and 4.11 gears...slappers on the springs.

So, we open the headers, bump the timing, flip the air cleaner and are ready to go. the Chevelle was a pretty stock L-78 car/

When we took off, we were fairly even. I grabbed second, the front raised when the torque transferred and the '68 Chrysler 300 bucket seat [bolted to 2X4s, bolted to the floor] Rick was sitting broke the bolts through the 2X4 and Rick went to what would be the back seat, if the car had one. His feet are in the air, the Chevelle is losing ground fast - Rick is yelling to keep going.

We won the race, Rick extricated himself from the back of the car and collected our money. I drove rather sedately to Rick's house so he wouldn't flop around too much, chuckling to myself a lot about the mental and actual picture.

The big thing was winning the race, in those days.

Attached is a pic of the intersection on Brookside, from the day.

6177551-41standPeoria.jpg (184 downloads)
Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: Wagonmaster] #506404
09/04/10 03:23 PM
09/04/10 03:23 PM
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Wagonmaster Offline
I Live Here
Wagonmaster  Offline
I Live Here

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Another picture from back in the day, of my '57 ambulance. Was taken at Pennington's Drive in - famous for honey dipped fried chicken and Black Bottom Pie. Pennington's was a favorite on South Peoria - "Brookside" - in Tulsa, as well.

Yummy!

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: Wagonmaster] #506405
09/04/10 04:05 PM
09/04/10 04:05 PM
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Wagonmaster Offline
I Live Here
Wagonmaster  Offline
I Live Here

Tulsa, Oklahoma
While not exactly street racing, here's a link to some great drag action from the 70s. Fantastic footage of Ronnie Sox back in 1971. Lots of MOPARS. Drag racing

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: Wagonmaster] #506406
09/05/10 12:20 AM
09/05/10 12:20 AM
Florida, USA.
J
john e Offline
john e  Offline
J

Florida, USA.
Anyone on here from the Tampa Bay area, early 1980's through the mid 1990's? I was out of Lakeland, Polk County back then. I ran a white 68 Coronet R/T called 'Godzilla'. I sure do miss those times.

Street racing is a mystery to most people, but I've got it figured out. If it blows up with a single 4, go dual quads. If that goes, inject it. And fix it fast.
Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: HYPER8oSoNic] #506407
09/06/10 11:45 PM
09/06/10 11:45 PM
Phoenix,Az.
H
hemicop Offline
super stock
hemicop  Offline
super stock
H

Phoenix,Az.

is one thing, since it's generic, everbody wants to run better. But to tune the SAME combo, and be
especially if it's EXACTLY the same down to the innards!! And you are NOT racing partners either!!
Not Good!! In match/class racing and NASCAR, I can see it. Maybe somebody else has a different take on this!! Food for thought!!!!

My take on it---the Web is SO large, the chances of running into someone who duplicated your combo EXACTLY & run into him are pretty slim. even if the engine was the same, the car, suspension, trans & driver are all variables that could make the engine combo a dud for a particular racer. Plus some of the parts that were run are so old maybe 10-20 percent actually have them anymore?
My guess is, building my "old" stuff with today's modern technoogy & building techniques, coupled with the better parts for the rest of the car would push the same car into the high 9s/low 10s? That would translate into a3/4-1 second e.t. reduction---but since I could NEVER afford another '67 'vette, it's all a moot point. That's why I have no problem bringing this od stuff up.

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: hemicop] #506408
09/13/10 12:22 AM
09/13/10 12:22 AM
Desert Tracker
H
HYPER8oSoNic Offline
top fuel
HYPER8oSoNic  Offline
top fuel
H

Desert Tracker
Quote:

My take on it---the Web is SO large, the chances of running into someone who duplicated your combo EXACTLY & run into him are pretty slim. even if the engine was the same, the car, suspension, trans & driver are all variables that could make the engine combo a dud for a particular racer. Plus some of the parts that were run are so old maybe 10-20 percent actually have them anymore?
My guess is, building my "old" stuff with today's modern technoogy & building techniques, coupled with the better parts for the rest of the car would push the same car into the high 9s/low 10s? That would translate into a3/4-1 second e.t. reduction---but since I could NEVER afford another '67 'vette, it's all a moot point. That's why I have no problem bringing this od stuff up.

with most of your post, Hemicop as well as respect it. I was simply putting an opinion
on the post in defense of the "silent" HARDCORE
runners. Sure technology has reduced et's by maybe a full second or more compaired to "old school" standards 35-50 years ago. But some of the "tricks" back then ARE still in effect and maybe some people just do not want to "share" for
different reasons! The ones who do, great info!
The ones who don't, well you have to respect THEIR standpoint on it! That's just the way it goes, sometimes!! And as far as some cars being pushed to the low 10/high 9 sec. index, try low 9's to high 8's with the bigger displacement cars
or medium displacement cars with BOOST.

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: HYPER8oSoNic] #506409
09/13/10 06:21 AM
09/13/10 06:21 AM
Tampa Florida
dc426 Offline
gotta keep'm separated
dc426  Offline
gotta keep'm separated

Tampa Florida
oops!

Last edited by dc426; 09/13/10 05:01 PM.
Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: dc426] #506410
09/13/10 10:18 AM
09/13/10 10:18 AM
Phoenix,Az.
H
hemicop Offline
super stock
hemicop  Offline
super stock
H

Phoenix,Az.
Quote:

This thread is worthless. What's worthless to one, is treasured by others. Opinions are like.....blah, blah, blah. If you don't like the music, turn the station....insert a CD. I look at music like this. It's the sound track to each persons life. They're all different and all have different meanings. In the 70's there were many bands playing music that give me fond memories. Some not so much. That's what it's all about.!

Worthless? I don't see it. and the fact it's 12 pages long shows many did it and still enjoy BSing about the stuff, and perhaps posting pics of their cars or how/when they ran a pparticular car.
Weekend nights at Connecting or wherever were special. Some guys got their first taste of musclecars, streetracing, perhaps they met their wife/girlfriend at these places. The fun or friends we had at that time, sometimes never left us and us old guys like to rememebr or tell the young guys how it was or should be with the hobby. I wish I had pics of some of he cars & people from back then--the clothing styles alone are worth a good laugh & some of our cars you wouldn't even cruise in, much less race. But it was all good fun, meant as an escape from work, school, etc. and NOTHING beats the sound of a healthy big-block rumbling through an overpass at 2:00 A.M.---if you never heard that, you wouldn't understand..........

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: hemicop] #506411
09/13/10 10:36 AM
09/13/10 10:36 AM
Sebring, Florida
M
Mopar Grandpa Offline OP
top fuel
Mopar Grandpa  Offline OP
top fuel
M

Sebring, Florida
Quote:

Quote:

This thread is worthless. What's worthless to one, is treasured by others. Opinions are like.....blah, blah, blah. If you don't like the music, turn the station....insert a CD. I look at music like this. It's the sound track to each persons life. They're all different and all have different meanings. In the 70's there were many bands playing music that give me fond memories. Some not so much. That's what it's all about.!

Worthless? I don't see it. and the fact it's 12 pages long shows many did it and still enjoy BSing about the stuff, and perhaps posting pics of their cars or how/when they ran a pparticular car.
Weekend nights at Connecting or wherever were special. Some guys got their first taste of musclecars, streetracing, perhaps they met their wife/girlfriend at these places. The fun or friends we had at that time, sometimes never left us and us old guys like to rememebr or tell the young guys how it was or should be with the hobby. I wish I had pics of some of he cars & people from back then--the clothing styles alone are worth a good laugh & some of our cars you wouldn't even cruise in, much less race. But it was all good fun, meant as an escape from work, school, etc. and NOTHING beats the sound of a healthy big-block rumbling through an overpass at 2:00 A.M.---if you never heard that, you wouldn't understand..........

AMEN brother!!!!
I started this thread for a very specific reason, the younger group enjoys reading about our escapades from yesteryear just like we did when we were young. I appreciate all of the racing stories, and related posts too, as I didn't do a lot of street racing due to the fact my muscle car was a '62 Dodge Dart auto. with a 361. Not very competitive but had a great back seat...first child was conceived back there.
So keep the stories coming...we all love them and if you don't.... go read the Sunday Times.

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: Mopar Grandpa] #506412
09/13/10 12:19 PM
09/13/10 12:19 PM
On The Boat, On The Lake, Wa. ...
amxautox Offline
Still Retired. Still Posting on Moparts. A Lot.
amxautox  Offline
Still Retired. Still Posting on Moparts. A Lot.

On The Boat, On The Lake, Wa. ...
I don't get the Sunday Times, or any newspaper anymore - for a reason. This thread is MUCH BETTER. I didn't have half the fun others here had so it's great to read about it all.

Tom

"Everyone should believe in something; I believe I'll go fishing."

-Henry David Thoreau

Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths

author unknown

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: Mopar Grandpa] #506413
09/13/10 04:09 PM
09/13/10 04:09 PM
Phoenix,Az.
H
hemicop Offline
super stock
hemicop  Offline
super stock
H

Phoenix,Az.
I didn't do a lot of street racing due to the fact my muscle car was a '62 Dodge Dart auto. with a 361. Not very competitive but had a great back seat...

Actually, a 361 Dart given some careful "tweaks" & with some careful "hunting" could've been a fun, competitive ride, even in NYC--- and that's what was fun about streetracing. My Dad's 318-powered stationwagon or my buddy with the OHC 6-cyl GTO (he blew-up the 389) was all part of the scene and we had FUN. Getting suckerd in & beaten by an SD421 or detained by the cops for having a possible stolen car (see previous posts) were all part of growing up in a place like NYC. Having friends like John D'Andrea with his Gremlin or getting "schooled" in the local speedshop are things most young guys now will never know. How many kids today will get to ride in a P/S built in their Dad's garage (remember this WAS the early days of P/S) or go for a ride in one on the street? Or have a much older friend show you something he just learned in AutoShop class? (do they still have them? ).
You wanna hear stories? How about the time my friend got thrown out of Machine Shop class for building a gun instead of working on a set of heads? or bringing in your car to Auto Shop for a semester -long project of re-painting it? This was when school was actually "cool" & the teachers liked their job & the kids. My first Mopar "project" was my teacher's '68 383 Charger that needed some basic work.
No, the stories are out there and they are fun, exciting, worth re-telling & those of us from back then are happy, grateful & proud we lived in that time---actually some of us are surprised we lived through some of the stuff!

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: hemicop] #506414
09/13/10 04:59 PM
09/13/10 04:59 PM
Tampa Florida
dc426 Offline
gotta keep'm separated
dc426  Offline
gotta keep'm separated

Tampa Florida
Uh, hmm. I think I may have posted a reply on the wrong thread! oops! Street racing back in the day created many legends. Sorry for my Fo Pah.
DC

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: dc426] #506415
09/13/10 05:04 PM
09/13/10 05:04 PM
Tampa Florida
dc426 Offline
gotta keep'm separated
dc426  Offline
gotta keep'm separated

Tampa Florida
I was stationed at MacDill in the 80's. Don't recall The green coronet. I do recall in Ft. Myers a 69 A12 Bee called "Jolly Green Giant" though. Cool car.

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: hemicop] #506416
09/13/10 06:25 PM
09/13/10 06:25 PM
Desert Tracker
H
HYPER8oSoNic Offline
top fuel
HYPER8oSoNic  Offline
top fuel
H

Desert Tracker
Quote:

Quote:

100% with ya'

Last edited by HYPER8oSoNic; 09/13/10 06:26 PM.

Page 23 of 38 1 2 21 22 23 24 25 37 38