H
hemicop Offline
super stock
hemicop  Offline
super stock
H

Phoenix,Az.
Quote:

How bout some more racing stories guys and gals????

Okay, here's how a high-dollar race typically got pulled off.
My buddy that owned "Competition Speed" had lost a few grand the weekend before & needed/wanted to recoup. He put "feelers" out during the week & found a guy with a nice Modified Production Camaro willing to run. The race was slated for the Van Wyck near the World's Fair Marina on a Saturday night around 3:00 A.M. The money for the teams was allegedly 5k but side bets & all pushed it up to somewhere near 10. Those that knew showed up at the Marina but the crowd was so big the cops showed up & alot of people scattered. Knowing one of the racers, I managed to hide & stuck around while they re-negoitiated the race.
The money would be the same (5k) but they'd run on the Cross Island. My friend's flat-towing his car, while the M/P car is on a trailer. I start to follow but somehow get seperated from the group, so I'm a little late getting there. As I'm nearing the race site I see a ton of people gathering along the side of the road. I step-up the pace not far from where everyone is I see a police car on an overpass. I hustle down to the site to warn my friend the cops are nearby & to find somewhere else. I pull up to the site, park my car & just as I do both cars are warming their tires, the starter is stepping up & it looks like it's "on". Just then about 4 cop cars rush in , lights on & all that & one of them works his way through the crowd, trying to get up to the racecars. He manages to pull in front of the M/P car & as he does my friend takes off, hoping none of the other cops chase him. The M/P car gets seized, some the spectators get stopped & cited for various things (obstructing traffic, equip. violations, etc.) I rush back to my car like everyone else &as I get to my car I hear: "Hey [Edited by Moparts - Family Friendly Site - Keep it clean]! Next time I'll write you up for speeding!" I look around & there's a Hwy Patrol cop glaring at me. Those of you from NYC back then know their uniforms made them look like Gestapo, so I figure he's gonna screw with me awhile & see where that goes. I play dumb & ask him if that was him on the overpass. He says "Yeah" so I ask him how fast I was going. He accused me of doing 120, which I seriously doubt, but at that point I wasn't going to argue. He let me go, ticket free, and I left without doing or saying anything more.
The following Monday I went to the speed shop & learned what happened. My friend got away, the M/P car got impounded & the driver booked. All the "backers" got away and except for some tickets handed out the only real loser that night was the driver & owner of the M/P car.

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: MikeyT] #506378
07/29/10 01:00 PM
07/29/10 01:00 PM
boston mass-moving to long isl...
M
massdaytona Online content
mopar
massdaytona  Online Content
mopar
M

Quote:

Quote:

The chassis shop was Straightline Performance. Mikey T was the guy.

yes, yes I am!!

Mike

yo..yo mike... remember perry's chevelle??? i bought it... u did all the chassis work... and i still have the grumpy jenkins shifter...

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: hemicop] #506379
07/29/10 03:15 PM
07/29/10 03:15 PM
F
fullmetaljacket Offline
master
fullmetaljacket  Offline
master
F

Wonder what ever happened to that M/P Camaro.
I've seen Hwy 2 shields on the take at 150th St. Some one had the right paper to make that happen.

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: fullmetaljacket] #506380
07/29/10 07:00 PM
07/29/10 07:00 PM
Phoenix,Az.
H
hemicop Offline
super stock
hemicop  Offline
super stock
H

Phoenix,Az.
Quote:

I've seen Hwy 2 shields on the take at 150th St. Some one had the right paper to make that happen.

My guess was my friend had connections as one of his customers was "hooked up" with the City in an area other than police work. A simple call to a "friend-of-a-friend" or "cousin" could've straightened it all out.
This was all comon knowledge so "greasing" someone's palm was just how business was done. This was where the real criminal side of streetracing came into play. Imagine what it took to get the real big money runs to go off without a hitch. But in the end it never really mattered--we never hurt anyone, VERY rarely did a race like this result in violence & your "rep" was at stake, so to not pay-off or anything like that would result in a variety of problems for you. Most guys quit, some went back to running their businesses or the very lucky few turned it into a respectable living. That was the fun of it all. At the time anything seemd possible and you were having fun....

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: hemicop] #506381
07/30/10 12:15 AM
07/30/10 12:15 AM
Desert Tracker
H
HYPER8oSoNic Offline
top fuel
HYPER8oSoNic  Offline
top fuel
H

Desert Tracker
Quote:

Quote:

My guess was my friend had connections as one of his customers was "hooked up" with the City in an area other than police work. A simple call to a "friend-of-a-friend" or "cousin" could've straightened it all out.
This was all comon knowledge so "greasing" someone's palm was just how business was done. This was where the real criminal side of streetracing came into play. Imagine what it took to get the real big money runs to go off without a hitch. But in the end it never really mattered--we never hurt anyone, VERY rarely did a race like this result in violence & your "rep" was at stake, so to not pay-off or anything like that would result in a variety of problems for you. Most guys quit, some went back to running their businesses or the very lucky few turned it into a respectable living. That was the fun of it all. At the time anything seemd possible and you were having fun....

That is why the super hot cars "played"
the "one shot deal" (heat 'em up-line 'em up-RUN
then get the HECK out of dodge!). They very rarely hung around after the single run to "dust off" the local runners!! However, I DO take my hat
off to some local runners who BATTLED (repeat runs) long into the wee hours of the morning! Got
to give them their PROPS!!

"Stupidity is Ignorance on Steroids"
"Yeah, it's hopped to over 160" (quote by Kowalski in the movie Vanishing Point 1970 - Cupid Productions)
Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: HYPER8oSoNic] #506382
07/30/10 08:09 AM
07/30/10 08:09 AM
F
fullmetaljacket Offline
master
fullmetaljacket  Offline
master
F

There's no pageantry in stopping moving traffic and taking ones time to pull off a run. Like said above, get it on and get it out of there was the real artistry by the Pros.
It can almost be written into law as some sought of kidnapping because even though you may be stuck in traffic and have front row seats to the greatest show on earth, it is still a pain to wait for some stage crashers and their drama. No pun intended.

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: fullmetaljacket] #506383
07/30/10 10:34 AM
07/30/10 10:34 AM
Phoenix,Az.
H
hemicop Offline
super stock
hemicop  Offline
super stock
H

Phoenix,Az.
The REAL skill was in the negotiating. Unlike "pinks", there was no yelling, figet-pointing or name calling. It was more like playing Poker. You talked money, location MAYBE owned up to about 5-10% of what you really had & what the car could do & run 'em. Hopefully no data would leak out & you could win. That goes on today I know in every type of racing (just TRY to get specs on a S/S racer's set-up for example) but the serious street-rats had it down to a science which back then was rare.
Of course if you were unlucky your opponent would have access to some guys who actually worked at gathering intel on your opponent & would have car specs, perhaps pictures of your opponent that could tell you just how fast he really was or what latest modifiction he made . He may help you or you'd bribe him for the info and get an edge on negotiating the race. That stuff hasn't changed but I'm sure modern streetracers are even more secretive.

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: fullmetaljacket] #506384
07/30/10 08:59 PM
07/30/10 08:59 PM
Desert Tracker
H
HYPER8oSoNic Offline
top fuel
HYPER8oSoNic  Offline
top fuel
H

Desert Tracker
Quote:

There's no pageantry in stopping moving traffic and taking ones time to pull off a run. Like said above, get it on and get it out of there was the real artistry by the Pros.
It can almost be written into law as some sought of kidnapping because even though you may be stuck in traffic and have front row seats to the greatest show on earth, it is still a pain to wait for some stage crashers and their drama. No pun intended.

100% true fact. Hit the nail RIGHT ON the HEAD, Lee!! Couldn't be any plainer!

"Yeah, it's hopped to over 160" (quote by Kowalski in the movie Vanishing Point 1970 - Cupid Productions)
Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: hemicop] #506385
07/30/10 09:30 PM
07/30/10 09:30 PM
Desert Tracker
H
HYPER8oSoNic Offline
top fuel
HYPER8oSoNic  Offline
top fuel
H

Desert Tracker
Quote:

The REAL skill was in the negotiating. Unlike "pinks", there was no yelling, figet-pointing or name calling. It was more like playing Poker. You talked money, location MAYBE owned up to about 5-10% of what you really had & what the car could do & run 'em. Hopefully no data would leak out & you could win. That goes on today I know in every type of racing (just TRY to get specs on a S/S racer's set-up for example) but the serious street-rats had it down to a science which back then was rare.
Of course if you were unlucky your opponent would have access to some guys who actually worked at gathering intel on your opponent & would have car specs, perhaps pictures of your opponent that could tell you just how fast he really was or what latest modifiction he made . He may help you or you'd bribe him for the info and get an edge on negotiating the race. That stuff hasn't changed but I'm sure modern streetracers are even more secretive.

Yes it is like Poker, in a sense. I often saw it as that old military card game called "pinoncle".
It is where you can trump any ones books or winnings. Same as in street racing, the better combo wins consecutively!!
Those days of having "spies" at the strip or, perhaps the "candy store" where you got your
speed fixin's for your ride, are still around. The
only ways that you can get around the problem is to effectively DO your own engine/drivetrain building (minimal but EFFECTIVE machine work excluded)or go to a 3/4 long block (no intake, exhaust, cam, intake, timing set, water pump etc.) with just heads, machined block and balanced
rotating assembly and STIR in your own RECIPE of
parts!! Then for the HARDCORE, there is the foolproof, warranteed "crate motor/drivetrain" assembilies. They don't really care who does know their combo, they just keep "turning the wick up"
as the competition gets tougher!! Bribes are still in use, but the costs has gone up as our economy has gone DOWN!! Talk about supply and the demand for racing information, H-cop! Good post!!

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: hemicop] #506386
07/30/10 09:52 PM
07/30/10 09:52 PM
Desert Tracker
H
HYPER8oSoNic Offline
top fuel
HYPER8oSoNic  Offline
top fuel
H

Desert Tracker
Quote:

Quote:

The biggest thing about those "twinight runs" or
'submarine races", they were WELL organized and
nobody got hurt (pro runs, some local action). And speaking of organization, the atomosphere was
ALREADY set up long before the two cars/drivers met on the tarmac. Between the "two pillars" of society in the streets, order was KEPT. Through
this "natural order" some of the best runs ever seen and skilled drivers were born into history. It seem that the "less you knew" and the more you
payed attention to detail, you often would make it back to see more action.

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: HYPER8oSoNic] #506387
07/31/10 04:20 AM
07/31/10 04:20 AM
Phoenix,Az.
H
hemicop Offline
super stock
hemicop  Offline
super stock
H

Phoenix,Az.
That is probably what made the street races & early P/S so interesting. No one knew for certain what you were running, a good match-up always ran "heads-up" and at places like E-Town you could even get in on the side-bets there, too!
It would be interesting to pair up an old, serious streetracer with what some guys nowadays claim is ther street car. I'm willing to bet there wouldn't be that huge of a difference in performance as some of those old cars were legitimate 9-second rides & while sure, alot of guys claim their "street" car is an 8 or 9 sec. car few are legitimately that fast or that street-able.
aNYHOW, anyone have any more stories?

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: hemicop] #506388
07/31/10 09:14 AM
07/31/10 09:14 AM
M
mopar
mopar
M

Quote:

ok in 69 at westons on forrest ave on staten island, a bunch of 'brothers' from jersey cruise in looking for action... the car they wish to race against is a 64 lemans (forget the owners name), which is 'built'... the engine was done by a calif. shop, etc/etc... the car was an 'animal'... and the 'jersey boys' car... a 69 camaro pace car... so friday nite back and forth as the jersey boys want a 10car (handicap).. nothing doing, sat nite is down to 8 or 7...nothing doing, sunday nite its done to 5...nothing doing, then maybe at 11pm, when everyone is ready to call it a nite, the jersey boys say... ok we'll race u straight-up with our 69 chevelle... handshakes follow, the staten island crew are high-fivin (or whatever it was back then)each other.. and off we go to south ave... well the cops are there, so its off to arden ave... no cops... cars are jacked up, headers uncapped, slicks put on and ready to race...

now the lemans with uncapped headers woke up the dead, and the slicks could have been used on a funny car.... wide.... meantime the chevelle had small , maybe 10 1/2'' slicks, uncapped the car sounded ok... certainly nothing like the lemans...

they line up, flag goes down, and the chevelle must take close to a telephone pole lead... at the top end, the lemans comes on, but no way can it make up for that holeshot...

not sure how much $$$$ they raced for, but it was a large sum (for 69).. later come to find out the chevelle had a worked (very worked) zl1 alum. 427...

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: Qwik426] #506389
07/31/10 06:05 PM
07/31/10 06:05 PM
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Wagonmaster Offline
I Live Here
Wagonmaster  Offline
I Live Here

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Quote:

I don't know the "scenario" but I do know the driver: it was 1980 Stock Eliminator world champ Ray Cook who, unfortunately, is no longer with us.

Here's a picture of Ray doing a burnout and his racing partner--both on and off the track--Artie Leong (near the right rear quarter panel) during happier times:

I wonder if Art was any relation to Roland - of "The Hawaiian" fame?

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: massdaytona] #506390
07/31/10 07:07 PM
07/31/10 07:07 PM
Phoenix,Az.
H
hemicop Offline
super stock
hemicop  Offline
super stock
H

Phoenix,Az.
Quote:

Quote:

ok in 69 at westons on forrest ave on staten island, a bunch of 'brothers' from jersey cruise in looking for action... the car they wish to race against is a 64 lemans (forget the owners name), which is 'built'... the engine was done by a calif. shop, etc/etc... the car was an 'animal'... and the 'jersey boys' car... a 69 camaro pace car... so friday nite back and forth as the jersey boys want a 10car (handicap).. nothing doing, sat nite is down to 8 or 7...nothing doing, sunday nite its done to 5...nothing doing, then maybe at 11pm, when everyone is ready to call it a nite, the jersey boys say... ok we'll race u straight-up with our 69 chevelle... handshakes follow, the staten island crew are high-fivin (or whatever it was back then)each other.. and off we go to south ave... well the cops are there, so its off to arden ave... no cops... cars are jacked up, headers uncapped, slicks put on and ready to race...

now the lemans with uncapped headers woke up the dead, and the slicks could have been used on a funny car.... wide.... meantime the chevelle had small , maybe 10 1/2'' slicks, uncapped the car sounded ok... certainly nothing like the lemans...

they line up, flag goes down, and the chevelle must take close to a telephone pole lead... at the top end, the lemans comes on, but no way can it make up for that holeshot...

not sure how much $$$$ they raced for, but it was a large sum (for 69).. later come to find out the chevelle had a worked (very worked) zl1 alum. 427...

Now THIS is the kinda stuff I'm talking about! I'd love to know what the Pontiac was runnin, as there weren't too many serious Ponchos around. Anyone want to own up to what their combo was back then?.......
ME FIRST! .before I had my Pinto (don't laugh, see previous posts), I had a '67 big-block 'vette. Forget the original engine, it's replacement was a .060 over 427, rect. port heads, Tarantula manifold (remember those?) with a ZL-1 cam(striaght from the dealership parts dept.)a 780 Holley & Hooker Trans-Am style headers. I had it hooked to an M-21 in front of 4:56 gears. One of those weird single bar traction bars held the rear-end (sort of) & Moroso "trick" springs for a small-block 'vette held up the front-end. It didn't corner worth a damn, got God-awful mileage & speed-bumps gave me fits but when it launched it looked like the whole car was going to jump off the ground. A guy by the name of Vinny Barone did the motor for about $2,500 , which was a fair amount back then. He did an outstanding job & I think he still races in Comp Elim. now.....

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: hemicop] #506391
07/31/10 10:53 PM
07/31/10 10:53 PM
F
fullmetaljacket Offline
master
fullmetaljacket  Offline
master
F

okay. here's a tale of a Mopar that came to kick some tail.
Names are withheld like taxes to protect the innocent and not so innocent.
So this 5.0 LX stick Mustang is cleaning house on the Nassau and every ones aware of the drivers ability to cut good arm drops and row a mean awe.

One night I am not so innocently hanging out at the local bruise spot Burger king when they sick this thing on my Sedan.
I right away get on the horn to try and find out how fast this thing is really ticking being that it has cleaned every ones wallet up and down the five boroughs.
No answer to my quest other than that the kid can drive.
When I arrive an hour early at the staging point and fill up my tank with the good petro, they arrive right behind me and are stunned that the car is so big.
It's a boat of a mopar I say.

Fast forward to the white top.
He arrives first at the line and is already doing his burnout. Maybe about 300 people there as well. I align with him and commence my burnout.
Almost as soon as we lined up and the arms went up, his throttle pedal went down leaving me by a sucker car length.
I could see his tail lights as my car was blasting off first with a slight bog then all hell breaking loose. I ride by him at the top of 2nd gear and hold a car length ground till the finish line where he closed up by my quarter. I could hear his gear box shifting and the super charger whistling into high note. we both passed the line with him a fender behind and little did I know that both my team and his had never made it to the finish line to bare witness to the runs out come. they were stuck in the huge traffic jam back at the hole.
As we were making our U-turn to return to the staging area, he nodded in respect and said like this; "You got me Kid"
A huge argument flared up about the winnings and they never paid up.
They were in shock and denial and would not do it over for double or nothing unless they ran the laugh gas.
I drove off that night with bragging rights and no money in the bank and to top it off, no runs for a while after because of the out come.

In retro, I'd rather win and lose the money then to lose my life over an argument of money and ego.

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: hemicop] #506392
08/01/10 08:45 AM
08/01/10 08:45 AM
M
mopar
mopar
M

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Now THIS is the kinda stuff I'm talking about! I'd love to know what the Pontiac was runnin, as there weren't too many serious Ponchos around..

the poncho was also running a rat... a serious rat...but it was no match for the jersey boys on that nite.. maybe the poncho was slow off the line , i dunno, but on that nite he got his butt kicked.. i will eventually remember the owners name and post it up...

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: massdaytona] #506393
08/01/10 02:46 PM
08/01/10 02:46 PM
Phoenix,Az.
H
hemicop Offline
super stock
hemicop  Offline
super stock
H

Phoenix,Az.
around..

the poncho was also running a rat...

A rat,huh? That's kinda disappointing. Seems most guys ran big Chevys or Mopars around NYC. There was a guy in Queens that had a beautiful 69/70 or so black 4-4-2 that ran a rat also. That's what I especially enjoyed about my friends Gremlin---ALL AMC! and he did win more than his fair share. Come to think of it there actually was an old Buick in my neighborhood & a couple of Fords but they were a true minority in my neighborhood---- probably 99% were Chevys

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: massdaytona] #506394
08/02/10 08:31 PM
08/02/10 08:31 PM
Desert Tracker
H
HYPER8oSoNic Offline
top fuel
HYPER8oSoNic  Offline
top fuel
H

Desert Tracker
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Now THIS is the kinda stuff I'm talking about! I'd love to know what the Pontiac was runnin, as there weren't too many serious Ponchos around..

the poncho was also running a rat... a serious rat...but it was no match for the jersey boys on that nite.. maybe the poncho was slow off the line , i dunno, but on that nite he got his butt kicked.. i will eventually remember the owners name and post it up...

To get a HARD-RUNNING Poncho back then, you HAD to
go to Nunzi's in Bay Ridge. Or, contact a couple of lesser known-at-the-time builders on the West Coast. Or, as I stand corrected, Royal
Oak Pontiac, Michigan. Locally, a Pontiac Dealer
located on Fresh Pond Road in the vicinity of
Metropolitan Ave, used to sell the goods also.
I forgotten the name of the dealer, someone
out there knows who I'm talking about? Thanks.

Last edited by HYPER8oSoNic; 08/05/10 09:35 PM.

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: hemicop] #506395
08/02/10 08:57 PM
08/02/10 08:57 PM
Desert Tracker
H
HYPER8oSoNic Offline
top fuel
HYPER8oSoNic  Offline
top fuel
H

Desert Tracker
Quote:

around..

the poncho was also running a rat...

A rat,huh? That's kinda disappointing. Seems most guys ran big Chevys or Mopars around NYC. There was a guy in Queens that had a beautiful 69/70 or so black 4-4-2 that ran a rat also. That's what I especially enjoyed about my friends Gremlin---ALL AMC! and he did win more than his fair share. Come to think of it there actually was an old Buick in my neighborhood & a couple of Fords but they were a true minority in my neighborhood---- probably 99% were Chevys

Where I grew up at, there were A LOT of GM Products (All were represented including Caddy!)
a FEW Fords (but were HARD running) and Mopars
(the underdog) of all sizes!! The Mopars
had fits over Buick, OLDS and the Caddys, BUT the
Rats and Mice were a commom place and easy pickin's back then. Goats were a little TOUGHER, especially
the RAIV's. They were NOTORIOUS for running hard
up top with a 383-440 motor. The Fords were a little more "sneaky" with their engine/body styles
especially when stuffed with Cleveland/FE or Lima
motor. For those not in the KNOW, it converts to
a 351C, 390-427-428 or 429-460 motors. Placed in a lightweight chassis, they will embarass about 90% of "other" makes unsuspectedly!! And you say Fords' can't run! Being a Mopar man you can't win
100% of the time, but you can TRY TO!! And have FUN doing it!!

Last edited by HYPER8oSoNic; 08/02/10 10:00 PM.

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: Wagonmaster] #506396
08/02/10 09:00 PM
08/02/10 09:00 PM
Desert Tracker
H
HYPER8oSoNic Offline
top fuel
HYPER8oSoNic  Offline
top fuel
H

Desert Tracker
Quote:

Quote:

I don't know the "scenario" but I do know the driver: it was 1980 Stock Eliminator world champ Ray Cook who, unfortunately, is no longer with us.

Here's a picture of Ray doing a burnout and his racing partner--both on and off the track--Artie Leong (near the right rear quarter panel) during happier times:

I wonder if Art was any relation to Roland - of "The Hawaiian" fame?

That thought often crossed my mind, but I haven't
bothered to ask. I was always concerned with who
he ran against and how well his combo worked!!

Page 22 of 38 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 37 38