Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 16 of 38 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 37 38
Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your story [Re: fullmetaljacket] #506257
06/09/10 11:41 AM
06/09/10 11:41 AM
New York
R
Red Bird Offline
Red Bird  Offline
R

New York
Hey LQ, you remember me? I had the 80 maroon trans am called Red Bird on Staten Island. You were the flag man for a few runs of mine on South ave.(For the record...South ave was the original proving grounds but then in 1986ish we moved it to the other side of the West Shore Expressway (around the corner)where the street was called Gulf Ave which was still referred to South Ave.) If I recall you did the arm drop for me & Mike w/box when I took him down. Man...I remember some nights (Thurs)there had to be a few hundred cars there. And I have to agree w/you...you did run a tight ship. You were probably the best. There were so many people and you were still able to get the cars thru to line up. Great memories!

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your story [Re: fullmetaljacket] #506258
06/10/10 02:09 PM
06/10/10 02:09 PM
New Jersey
Qwik426 Offline
top fuel
Qwik426  Offline
top fuel

New Jersey
Quote:

I could have sworn they were HP's on that engine.
Maybe you are right cause that thing was pretty tame and quiet, but carried a big whip.
South Ave was magic and the rides on the SI Ferry was my down time to wax the car (73' SS Hatchback 4 speed Nova)before getting there.
I remember sitting in your GeeTeX at E-town for sure.
You now know my car right?
It never made it out to South, but made many appearances on 1st Ave, The Hutch, 150th, FDR,
Fountain, Bronx meat market, and just a few on the Connecting during the mid 90's.

Yes, I know your car; how can I forget? I only saw it a couple times at Englishtown--not on the street. Here's one of the times circa 1993:

In this pic you were setting the valve lash on your engine's DC (I know, Mopar Performance) 284/.528" mechanical camshaft. The guy near your car's right
front fender with his back to us is Curtis Taylor Sr.

Later,

Qwik426

P.S. Is Curtis Jr. still racing?

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your story [Re: Mopar Grandpa] #506259
06/10/10 07:34 PM
06/10/10 07:34 PM
Rio Linda, CA
John_Kunkel Offline
Too Many Posts
John_Kunkel  Offline
Too Many Posts

Rio Linda, CA
There used to be a popular street race spot (Powerline Road) along side the Sacramento Metro Airport, went by the other day and the start/finish line paint stripes are still there. Looking north. (intersection and stop sign weren't there then)

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your story [Re: John_Kunkel] #506260
06/10/10 07:35 PM
06/10/10 07:35 PM
Rio Linda, CA
John_Kunkel Offline
Too Many Posts
John_Kunkel  Offline
Too Many Posts

Rio Linda, CA

Looking south.

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your story [Re: jake4cars] #506261
06/10/10 08:23 PM
06/10/10 08:23 PM
Now - Port Orange,Fla. Former...
MIKES_DUSTER Offline
master
MIKES_DUSTER  Offline
master

Quote:

Heres the RR

Heres the cuda at a Papas Dodge Cruise.

I knew a guy from East Hartford that bought an old pro stock Vega from a guy named Jack Chin who did very well at Conn dragway along with his brother Eddie. At any rate, this guy buys Chin's Vega and proceeds to put in a blown big block Chevy, what a ride to say the least. One night I rode with him in the Vega to the Berlin Turnpike, to say we stopped traffic is an understatement, we pulled into the Roy Rogers and as he was trying to back in it a parking space a Berlin cop pulled up and told us there was no way that car was legal and we needed to get lost, knowing of course the cop was right we proceeded to motor on home, what a ball. I moved out of Conn in the late 80's and haven't been back to the turnpike since but back when I was a kid there was a whole lot of racing going on there.
Joey

BTW, your Cuda is awesome!!, reminds me of one that was for sale in East Hartford that had a Hemi in it, supposedly a Sox and Martin built engine, the car was primered and was sitting in a barn when I seen it, mid 80's maybe.

Joey, We bought the cuda from a guy in East Hartford,right off of Silver Lane.. It was primered and had a HEMI with a tunnel ram and 2 dominators.When we bought it,it was at his house. Back then,my dad didnt want the HEMI cuz it was too radical for us back then so we bought it as a roller and a friend of ours dad bought the HEMI. The car went 9.90's with a 4-speed back in the early 70's when the car was put together. It only had 19,000 miles on it. It HAS too be the same car...You think??

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your story [Re: Qwik426] #506262
06/10/10 08:29 PM
06/10/10 08:29 PM
F
fullmetaljacket Offline
master
fullmetaljacket  Offline
master
F

Wow! you sure were running the lens back then.
I was running low 12's with that cam with 10.1 compression, iron non adjustable 1.5 rockers, Holley blue pump at 3500 LBS.
I was really active on the street back then.
Changed to an ultra dyne 613 and a little more comp and dipped into the mid elevens while driving it every where.
I now have the whole fuel system tucked neatly inside the tank under neath. Still drive it everywhere in the city.
I always make echos off the Connecting Walls.
Wish I was there during its hey nights.

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your story [Re: CrAzYMoPaRGuY] #506263
06/11/10 01:46 AM
06/11/10 01:46 AM
The Wet Coast, Canada
megajoltman Offline
master
megajoltman  Offline
master

The Wet Coast, Canada
Quote:

It seems to ME that "street racing" back in the 1970s was more about organization and cars, and seeing which cars were fast, what worked etc....

Nowadays it seems to ME that "street racing" is more about partying, ego gratification, and bragging rights.

Don't get me wrong- bragging rights factored into street racing since it began, but the ATMOSPHERE has changed over the years, and I find "street racing" nowadays to be a complete and utter waste of time.

Take it to the track, and a TIMESLIP DOES THE TALKIN'!

So you never went to the street races in the 80's on Latimer or Harvie roads in Langley (farm country) that was two big spots for awhile? There were two mopars that were pretty fast one was a 4 spd Cuda and the other I think was a orange Superbee supposely 440 6 pack car. It got to much attention by the cops so most of the guys I hung around started going out to Abbotsford boonies to race.

1969 Dart 383/727/D60

CTD Ram 4x4 Mega Cab

Procharged 350Z
Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your story [Re: MIKES_DUSTER] #506264
06/11/10 12:04 PM
06/11/10 12:04 PM
SoCal
J
jake4cars Offline
top fuel
jake4cars  Offline
top fuel
J

SoCal
Quote:

Quote:

Heres the RR

I knew a guy from East Hartford that bought an old pro stock Vega from a guy named Jack Chin who did very well at Conn dragway along with his brother Eddie. At any rate, this guy buys Chin's Vega and proceeds to put in a blown big block Chevy, what a ride to say the least. One night I rode with him in the Vega to the Berlin Turnpike, to say we stopped traffic is an understatement, we pulled into the Roy Rogers and as he was trying to back in it a parking space a Berlin cop pulled up and told us there was no way that car was legal and we needed to get lost, knowing of course the cop was right we proceeded to motor on home, what a ball. I moved out of Conn in the late 80's and haven't been back to the turnpike since but back when I was a kid there was a whole lot of racing going on there.
Joey

BTW, your Cuda is awesome!!, reminds me of one that was for sale in East Hartford that had a Hemi in it, supposedly a Sox and Martin built engine, the car was primered and was sitting in a barn when I seen it, mid 80's maybe.

Joey, We bought the cuda from a guy in East Hartford,right off of Silver Lane.. It was primered and had a HEMI with a tunnel ram and 2 dominators.When we bought it,it was at his house. Back then,my dad didnt want the HEMI cuz it was too radical for us back then so we bought it as a roller and a friend of ours dad bought the HEMI. The car went 9.90's with a 4-speed back in the early 70's when the car was put together. It only had 19,000 miles on it. It HAS too be the same car...You think??

HOLY CRAP!!, it has to be the same car, the one I am talking about was in a barn on Silver Lane and as you describe it is exactly the way I seen it, if I remember right, the father and son who owned it spent a ton of money on it, ran it a couple of times and parked it for whatever reason. I would be willing to bet that other than myself, there were only a handful of guys in the area that even knew it existed. They were asking $6500 for it at that time which was fortune then, today I look back and think what a deal!. I am glad you guys have it, the car looks GREAT!, it's nice to see a barn car turn out to have a happy ending.

Joey

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your story [Re: John_Kunkel] #506265
06/11/10 02:54 PM
06/11/10 02:54 PM
Florida STAYcation
BeEtLeJuIcE ! Offline
The village idiot's idiot
BeEtLeJuIcE !  Offline
The village idiot's idiot

Florida STAYcation
Quote:

There used to be a popular street race spot (Powerline Road) along side the Sacramento Metro Airport, went by the other day and the start/finish line paint stripes are still there. Looking north. (intersection and stop sign weren't there then)

Hay JK .....

"Marked" just LIKE what was on 696, 96, 275 and even on Plymouth Rd ..... in Detroit !! ..

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: Qwik426] #506266
06/12/10 12:11 PM
06/12/10 12:11 PM
Desert Tracker
H
HYPER8oSoNic Offline
top fuel
HYPER8oSoNic  Offline
top fuel
H

Desert Tracker
Quote:

Quote:

Street racing was and still alive in NYC,as well
as Detroit and other states across the States'.
The only difference between racers today and the
"pro's" back then, when I was younger is that
most guys knew the cars capabilities on and off
the track. And cars then, were 90% pure muscle,
with nary a power adder other than supercharger.
AS time went on it was the drivers who were
dependent on "their own power adders", and that's
when things got out of hand and dangerous. The
"pro's" were there to do business, while the
foolhardy were there for the idea of running
each other with no safety or respect of the
sport (automotive craftsmanship). By the way,
does anyone know what the outcome of a race in
NYC, on the Nassau Expressway in Queens. Back in
71', I think. A Rat-Motored 68 Camaro squared off
there with a 69 Road Runner w/HEMI. BIG MONEY was passed around that night. I believe the guy driving the Bird', is still a legendary driver with the last name of Cook. If anyone knows the
true scenario, set the record straight please.

I don't know the "scenario" but I do know the driver: it was 1980 Stock Eliminator world champ Ray Cook who, unfortunately, is no longer with us.

Here's a picture of Ray doing a burnout and his racing partner--both on and off the track--Artie Leong (near the right rear quarter panel) during happier times:

Here's another good link to a thread talking about the action on Connecting Highway and other NYC street racing hotspots back in the day:

http://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=7052

Qwik426

Thanks for the link!! Found a lot of the "missing
pieces" of my search. I had forgotton about Artie also, since he and Cook were tight!!

"Stupidity is Ignorance on Steroids"
"Yeah, it's hopped to over 160" (quote by Kowalski in the movie Vanishing Point 1970 - Cupid Productions)
Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your story [Re: Red Bird] #506267
06/12/10 07:02 PM
06/12/10 07:02 PM
boston mass-moving to long isl...
M
massdaytona Offline
mopar
massdaytona  Offline
mopar
M

Quote:

Hey LQ, you remember me? I had the 80 maroon trans am called Red Bird on Staten Island. You were the flag man for a few runs of mine on South ave.(For the record...South ave was the original proving grounds but then in 1986ish we moved it to the other side of the West Shore Expressway (around the corner)where the street was called Gulf Ave which was still referred to South Ave.

86... south ave was done...done...done in the early 70's ... i think the accident happened in 70/71..after that it was over....

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your story [Re: massdaytona] #506268
06/12/10 07:19 PM
06/12/10 07:19 PM
Desert Tracker
H
HYPER8oSoNic Offline
top fuel
HYPER8oSoNic  Offline
top fuel
H

Desert Tracker
Quote:

Quote:

Hey LQ, you remember me? I had the 80 maroon trans am called Red Bird on Staten Island. You were the flag man for a few runs of mine on South ave.(For the record...South ave was the original proving grounds but then in 1986ish we moved it to the other side of the West Shore Expressway (around the corner)where the street was called Gulf Ave which was still referred to South Ave.

86... south ave was done...done...done in the early 70's ... i think the accident happened in 70/71..after that it was over....

Which accident, if you don't mind me asking? There
were a few!!

"Yeah, it's hopped to over 160" (quote by Kowalski in the movie Vanishing Point 1970 - Cupid Productions)
Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your story [Re: HYPER8oSoNic] #506269
06/13/10 06:38 PM
06/13/10 06:38 PM
M
massdaytona Offline
mopar
massdaytona  Offline
mopar
M

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

were a few!!

don't remember the year, maybe 70 or 71 a guy went thru the stop sign at the end of the service road onto forrest ave, and broadsided a car with 3 college girls..i believe he lived, they died... that was the end of open racing

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your story [Re: massdaytona] #506270
06/14/10 07:41 PM
06/14/10 07:41 PM
Desert Tracker
H
HYPER8oSoNic Offline
top fuel
HYPER8oSoNic  Offline
top fuel
H

Desert Tracker
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

were a few!!

don't remember the year, maybe 70 or 71 a guy went thru the stop sign at the end of the service road onto forrest ave, and broadsided a car with 3 college girls..i believe he lived, they died... that was the end of open racing

A shame. I vaguly remember that one. I was a lot
younger (and dumber) when that happened. I believe
the police went "ballistic" on most street racers
in N.Y.C. shortly after that incident and a couple
of others.

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your story [Re: HYPER8oSoNic] #506271
06/14/10 09:47 PM
06/14/10 09:47 PM
M
massdaytona Offline
mopar
massdaytona  Offline
mopar
M

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

were a few!!

A shame. I vaguly remember that one. I was a lot
younger (and dumber) when that happened. I believe
the police went "ballistic" on most street racers
in N.Y.C. shortly after that incident and a couple
of others.

up until that point it was open racing every nite... there would be dozens and dozens of cars lined up in two's ready to rumble... some nites the cops with coffee and donut (s) in hand would stand outside their car and watch...

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your story [Re: massdaytona] #506272
06/14/10 11:17 PM
06/14/10 11:17 PM
F
fullmetaljacket Offline
master
fullmetaljacket  Offline
master
F

Remember the highly publicized accident with the wedding couple some where out in Queens or Long Island. I think both the Bride and groom were killed when one of the cars came through and implanted itself inside their Limo. A horrible fate and sad to the up most.
I knew some of the cops who were on the sting operations both on the Conduit and Francis Lew and that Wedding horror was a contributing fuse lighter to the operations.
That is why the "Connecting" would always be the quintessential haunt in my book. No body is left in harms way but the drivers them selves and the towering walls.

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your story [Re: fullmetaljacket] #506273
06/14/10 11:35 PM
06/14/10 11:35 PM
F
fullmetaljacket Offline
master
fullmetaljacket  Offline
master
F

For the record, I have one of the last remaining 150th Conduit street eliminator decals, Not stickers. I am going to put it on my car soon, along with some original Connecting street race winner decals as well.

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your story [Re: jake4cars] #506274
06/15/10 04:47 PM
06/15/10 04:47 PM
MIKES_DUSTER Offline
master
MIKES_DUSTER  Offline
master

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Heres the RR

Joey

HOLY CRAP!!, it has to be the same car, the one I am talking about was in a barn on Silver Lane and as you describe it is exactly the way I seen it, if I remember right, the father and son who owned it spent a ton of money on it, ran it a couple of times and parked it for whatever reason. I would be willing to bet that other than myself, there were only a handful of guys in the area that even knew it existed. They were asking $6500 for it at that time which was fortune then, today I look back and think what a deal!. I am glad you guys have it, the car looks GREAT!, it's nice to see a barn car turn out to have a happy ending.

Joey

Joey,

It has to be the car!!! Do you remember a guy,well a kid back then, by the name of Billy Dahms?? He is the one who told us about the cuda and his dad was the one who bought the HEMI. It was a father and son and they were both there when we bought and picked up the cuda up.
We put in a nice 440 and then m dad sold it has a rolling chassis back in the early 90's. It has changed hands a few times and now a guy named Dennis owns it from Weathersfield. Here is what it looks like now.

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your story [Re: fullmetaljacket] #506275
06/15/10 07:59 PM
06/15/10 07:59 PM
Covington Georgia
RV2 Offline
master
RV2  Offline
master

Covington Georgia
Hey Lee wasnt that wedding accident caused by the old man pouring oil out in front of his house?
I think it was a Grand National that got into the oil and then hit the limo?

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your story [Re: RV2] #506276
06/15/10 08:39 PM
06/15/10 08:39 PM
F
fullmetaljacket Offline
master
fullmetaljacket  Offline
master
F

Negative.
The oil spill incident caused a death of one of the kids speeding and making noise on Francis Lew.
The locals there had had enough of the senseless burn outs and drinking amongst the regular bench racer wannabees and this man took onto himself to be vigilant. That act landed the senior in hot oil and water. That stretch was not isolated like other points, they were racing literally in front of peoples homes. Not a welcome mat at the door.

The wedding was an unfortunate freak timing of Murphy's law in a different part of town, I believe Long Island.
They newlyweds had just finished the Wedding ceremony and were heading out to the reception to greet the Family and friends when they came onto a street race in full throttle. The Limo's driver either never saw the Monte Carlo or the Monte was just to fast at that point to do nothing other than rip the Limo apart. It was a horror scene of epic proportions.
I was enraged myself because of the stupid senseless planning and execution of such a race on a street with hidden driveways and cross streets. I've always known that street racing is highly dangerous, but if it is going to go down in earnest, than consider the safety of others that are not involved if you are not considering your own.
That is why the Connecting, 150th, and other haunts where it is a one way fair and only included the drivers and spectators is probably safe in some respect but not the safest. Who ever is there knows the fine print and hind site should be game.

Page 16 of 38 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 37 38