10/21/09 02:30 PM
10/21/09 02:30 PM
Southwestern Ontario Canada
racealittle Offline OP
pro stock
racealittle  Offline OP
pro stock

Just wondering what kind of experience some of you have had with Hotchkis suspension upgrades. I've ordered the tubular upper control arms and strut bars to start For my '74 Challenger. I may go with the 1.25 front bar and their rear springs. I have a factory rear anti-sway bar.

Too many cars, too many parts, too little coin, too little space to work in, too little time left to make it all happen! Update: down to one ride, still too many parts, a little more jingle in the pocket, gaining space, and it's going to happen this year!
Re: Hotchkis parts on E body? [Re: racealittle] #502844
10/21/09 02:56 PM
10/21/09 02:56 PM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
I've spent about a half hour nose to nose staring at the underside of thier Yellow Challenger on a lift. They had a big Mopar open house with tech session this summer. I asked a ton of questions with everyone there. They put a lot of effort into their products using the right tools with sound engineering along practical testing.

I don't have Hotchkis products on my car. I had to piece together and/or make stuff when I did my car in 1994. My stuff is not as nice as the current stuff, but it's not broke, it's what I have on the car now, and I can't afford to do otherwise.

Are you asking because you are considering other suspension upgrades for your car?

IMHO, I'd get 1.00/.99 to 1.10 T-bars next with what you have so far. Depending on your objective level and planned future parts. I think Just Suspension or something is running a special on T-bars right now. IIRC, they are 1.00" dia only??

Re: Hotchkis parts on E body? [Re: autoxcuda] #502845
10/21/09 03:23 PM
10/21/09 03:23 PM
racealittle Offline OP
pro stock
racealittle  Offline OP
pro stock

Yes, I'm considering other components. However, they did mention somewhere that they may be considering the development of coilovers for their kit.

I have 0.96 torsion bars now and would like to give that a try.

I have looked at the Unisteer rack unit. That might be a future consideration, which would eliminate the need for other Hotchkis components.

I'm just looking at upgrades that really make a difference. The car was set up for drag racing, but those days on the streets are over where I live. A balanced, good driver, that is a joy to drive is the next goal.

Too many cars, too many parts, too little coin, too little space to work in, too little time left to make it all happen! Update: down to one ride, still too many parts, a little more jingle in the pocket, gaining space, and it's going to happen this year!
Re: Hotchkis parts on E body? [Re: racealittle] #502846
10/21/09 03:40 PM
10/21/09 03:40 PM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

Yes, I'm considering other components. However, they did mention somewhere that they may be considering the development of coilovers for their kit.

I have looked at the Unisteer rack unit. That might be a future consideration, which would eliminate the need for other Hotchkis components.

I'm just looking at upgrades that really make a difference. The car was set up for drag racing, but those days on the streets are over where I live. A balanced, good driver, that is a joy to drive is the next goal.

I think you are on the right track. Springs, sway bars, shocks, alignment, tires, fix sloppy steering. Those are the key components that make the biggest differnce. Don't bother with the unisteer. And I wouldn't bother with the coilover.

Run the .96 T-bars you have now. Maybe a rebuilt firm feel steering box would help if you don't allready have one.

Have you run any of the upgrades on the car so far??

What tires/size are you planning on running?

Re: Hotchkis parts on E body? [Re: autoxcuda] #502847
10/21/09 08:03 PM
10/21/09 08:03 PM
racealittle Offline OP
pro stock
racealittle  Offline OP
pro stock

Quote:

Quote:

I think you are on the right track. Springs, sway bars, shocks, alignment, tires, fix sloppy steering. Those are the key components that make the biggest differnce. Don't bother with the unisteer. And I wouldn't bother with the coilover.

Run the .96 T-bars you have now. Maybe a rebuilt firm feel steering box would help if you don't allready have one.

Have you run any of the upgrades on the car so far??

What tires/size are you planning on running?

I've removed the drag shocks and extra leafs that were added to the rear XHD springs. I think that one or both of the XHD's are bent. It was a 10 second car. I've repaired the driver front frame rail and have a level one firm feel box to start. The manual steering box was removed and I have to sort out which pitman arm, etc. I need. That's why I decided to buy the upper arms and strut bars. They gave me a fairly good deal on them.

I have to do my homework on the wheel and tire combination. Hotchkis has 18" on their TA mule car.

Re: Hotchkis parts on E body? [Re: racealittle] #502848
10/23/09 12:48 PM
10/23/09 12:48 PM
Sante Fe Springs, CA
H
Hotchkis Offline
enthusiast
Hotchkis  Offline
enthusiast
H

Sante Fe Springs, CA
I think you'll be very happy with the Challenger suspension upgrades we have available. The E-Max Challenger was just featured on Autoblog, and they seemed to have a good time driving it!

Hotchkis E-max story

Re: Hotchkis parts on E body? [Re: Hotchkis] #502849
10/23/09 01:01 PM
10/23/09 01:01 PM
Spokane Washington
ScottSmith_Harms Offline
Mr Wizzard
ScottSmith_Harms  Offline
Mr Wizzard

Spokane Washington
Great write up! I may have, missed it before but how is the 340 built in that car? What's the combo?

Re: Hotchkis parts on E body? [Re: ScottSmith_Harms] #502850
10/23/09 01:42 PM
10/23/09 01:42 PM
Warren, MI
J
Jerry Offline
master
Jerry  Offline
master
J

Warren, MI
i personally was not impressed with the write. i would have like to know more about the mods, whats all in the car, whose kits, pricing etc.

Superior Design Concepts
2574 Elliott Dr
Troy MI 48083
jerry@sdconcepts.com
www.sdconcepts.com
Facebook page: Superior Design Concepts
www.bcrproducts.com
Re: Hotchkis parts on E body? [Re: racealittle] #502851
10/23/09 05:54 PM
10/23/09 05:54 PM
Sante Fe Springs, CA
H
Hotchkis Offline
enthusiast
Hotchkis  Offline
enthusiast
H

Sante Fe Springs, CA
ScottS- The 340 is a stock spec motor. At Hotchkis we have only made modifications to the suspension, wheels, tires and the driver's seat.

Our goal with the E-Max Challenger is to show people with vintage Mopars that you don't have to replace the K frame or switch to Chevrolet style coil springs in order to have a competitive handling car. Making suspension changes can make a stock car out perform a car with a souped up engine. We want to see more Mopars on the street and on the tracks.

The challenger in the autoblog story uses all the parts you can find at Hotchkis.com

Re: Hotchkis parts on E body? [Re: Hotchkis] #502852
10/23/09 07:11 PM
10/23/09 07:11 PM
racealittle Offline OP
pro stock
racealittle  Offline OP
pro stock

Quote:

ScottS- The 340 is a stock spec motor. At Hotchkis we have only made modifications to the suspension, wheels, tires and the driver's seat.

Our goal with the E-Max Challenger is to show people with vintage Mopars that you don't have to replace the K frame or switch to Chevrolet style coil springs in order to have a competitive handling car. Making suspension changes can make a stock car out perform a car with a souped up engine. We want to see more Mopars on the street and on the tracks.

The challenger in the autoblog story uses all the parts you can find at Hotchkis.com

That's my goal, to update the performance of the overall chassis so the 5.9 300 hp magnum can be happy powering the car accross the country. It's not always a situation where more power is needed to be a great driver.

Maybe I'll make it to the next Hotchkis open house for mopars and we can add a few more parts to the ones I already bought at a seminar.

Re: Hotchkis parts on E body? [Re: racealittle] #502853
10/23/09 07:45 PM
10/23/09 07:45 PM
GA
roadrunninMark Offline
master
roadrunninMark  Offline
master

GA
How about a Hotchkis V. XVMotorsports V. Alterkation shootout! I would like to see that!!!! I would assume that some systems are a lot more expensive in this "dream" of a shootout, but that all could play into the game, best bang for the buck! Can anyone put something like this together? Are there any other systems that would like to get into the fray???

Mark

Re: Hotchkis parts on E body? [Re: roadrunninMark] #502854
10/23/09 07:55 PM
10/23/09 07:55 PM
Lima, Peru
domingo Offline
EL Master
domingo  Offline
EL Master

Lima, Peru

This would be cool.

There is lots of poeple that wonder about this but we have NEVER seen a side to side comparison.

Re: Hotchkis parts on E body? [Re: domingo] #502855
10/23/09 07:57 PM
10/23/09 07:57 PM
Spokane Washington
ScottSmith_Harms Offline
Mr Wizzard
ScottSmith_Harms  Offline
Mr Wizzard

Spokane Washington
The problem is that you would need to use the same car, add and change out all of the componants from each manufacturer one after another and have the same driver test each setup on the same day on the same track to make the comparison anywhere near valid.

Re: Hotchkis parts on E body? [Re: roadrunninMark] #502856
10/23/09 09:23 PM
10/23/09 09:23 PM
racealittle Offline OP
pro stock
racealittle  Offline OP
pro stock

I chose the Hotchkis UCA and strut rods because they just seem to offer what makes sense to me.

Some of the other UCA's that are available may be good pieces and cost less, and the offset bushings for a stock UCA may seem right to others.

The Hotchkis components look like they should work well together, keeping everything like they say in a geometrically corrected arc.

I don't spend money that freely, but Hotchkis worked with me some on the price of the parts and I think it was worth to spend a little more on their parts than on some of the other offerings.

I would like the whole package they offer, or the whole package that XV offers, but I think the Hotchkis UCA's and strut rods will tell they story if I should spend more in the future. I am on a budget like most car enthusiasts. If the parts I bought make a signifcant difference, I will likely step up to 17-18" wheels and tires. I also want some comfort to the ride for long road trips.

Is there a way to have it all without too much compromise?

Re: Hotchkis parts on E body? [Re: racealittle] #502857
10/23/09 09:58 PM
10/23/09 09:58 PM
Fly Over States
P
PHJ426 Offline
master
PHJ426  Offline
master
P

Fly Over States
This is interesting. I like the components that are on this car for finish and quality.

What kind of times is this Challenger posting at local autocross events as compared to...........anything that can currently handle that we can get a feel for these parts.

What is the wheel tire size combo on the E Max Chally also.

Re: Hotchkis parts on E body? [Re: PHJ426] #502858
10/23/09 10:08 PM
10/23/09 10:08 PM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

This is interesting. I like the components that are on this car for finish and quality.

What kind of times is this Challenger posting at local autocross events as compared to...........anything that can currently handle that we can get a feel for these parts.

What is the wheel tire size combo on the E Max Chally also.

http://www.hotchkis.net/press_release.html?ID=24

Sounds like it finished fourth? behind a : "fully race-prepped lightweight (2400 lbs) Cobra NASA racecar from Factory Five and an all-aluminum engine powered Camaro driven by a professional NASCAR driver."

"The car was faster than all 32 Street Machine of the Year competitors, and was only .080 seconds off from the second place Cobra, which tips the scales at 2,400 pounds versus the Challenger’s 3,700 pounds. Nice driving Aaron!"

Re: Hotchkis parts on E body? [Re: autoxcuda] #502859
10/24/09 12:11 AM
10/24/09 12:11 AM
Fly Over States
P
PHJ426 Offline
master
PHJ426  Offline
master
P

Fly Over States
Now that is impressive. Very nice Challenger there

Re: Hotchkis parts on E body? [Re: roadrunninMark] #502860
10/24/09 12:45 AM
10/24/09 12:45 AM
Answering the call of the wild
T
ThermoQuad Offline
top fuel
ThermoQuad  Offline
top fuel
T

Answering the call of the wild
Quote:

How about a Hotchkis V. XVMotorsports V. Alterkation shootout! I would like to see that!!!! I would assume that some systems are a lot more expensive in this "dream" of a shootout, but that all could play into the game, best bang for the buck! Can anyone put something like this together? Are there any other systems that would like to get into the fray???

I'd love to take my pos AAR with it's Level SubZero set up and play with the big dogs.
Just let me know when and where.

Re: Hotchkis parts on E body? [Re: ThermoQuad] #502861
10/24/09 01:02 AM
10/24/09 01:02 AM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

Quote:

I'd love to take my pos AAR with it's Level SubZero set up and play with the big dogs.
Just let me know when and where.

Well, if you want in on it with your haughty taughty fancy 'Cuda AAR with all it's eye grabbing purple paint and flashy stickers....

I nominate Tim Werner with Grandma's Valiant...

5563690-IMG_2604.jpg (122 downloads)
Last edited by autoxcuda; 10/24/09 01:42 AM.
Re: Hotchkis parts on E body? [Re: autoxcuda] #502862
10/24/09 06:33 AM
10/24/09 06:33 AM
Warren, MI
71TA Offline
I Live Here
71TA  Offline
I Live Here

Warren, MI
What wheels and tires are on that Challenger?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3