10/15/09 05:41 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Hey Monte, in your spare time, it'd be very interesting to test a 4 link car like this.......Put the IC on the anti-squat line, make three passes...........then take OFF the shocks and make three more passes and see what it does.........Those that claim that the IC needs to be on the anti-squat line also say that shocks don't do anything and aren't even needed on the rear because the body of the car is neither seperating or squatting.......(if the track is flat, but that's another story)..........

sorry i'm late to the party here, but i want to try and clear up some suspension misconceptions. The Instant Center of a suspension group is the point where suspension rotates around. What this means, is each type of suspension has to be evaluated differently. On a leaf spring car it is the front spring perch. On a ladder bar setup it is the front mounting point of bar. Now, on a 4 link car its an imaginary point where if you were to extend line through each suspension, it would be where the 2 intersect. Because of this you can get adjust the instant center to about anywhere you want on an adjustable 4 link. The Caltracs is a band aid fix, and in my opinion it has its uses, but because its limited adjustability its not maximizing the potential of the vehicle. Now I dont know who dug up the Anti-Squat info, Anti-squat is not a line from the CG to the contact patch, but its close to that, its a line from where the horizontal component intersects intersects a verticle line drawn through the front tire drawn through the rear contact patch. That line is 0 for anti squat, and 0 for squat. This means that the suspension will not lift the chassis, or the axle under torque. If the instant center of the suspension is above this line it has anti squat, which means it will try and lift the chassis under torque, if its below this line, it will lift the axle causing squat. Now we have to consider the dynamics of weight transfer next, when a car accelerates the horizontal compenent of G the accleration, moves the CG back so because of the different acceleration vector of gravity, its moving more weight to the rear tires, which will compress the suspension. Any time a spring moves, it must have a shock on it, because a spring will naturally want to resonate, the shock 1, controls the oscillation of the spring, and 2 also controls, the speed at which the spring and compress, and expand. So just because a car lowers in the rear doesnt necessarily mean its squatting. In the ideal launch, you want as much energy used to move the car forward, Not up, and not to move the suspension, and definiately not wasted at excess tire spin. So you have to balance the suspension to move forward as fast as it can, while still putting enough downward force on the rear tires. Anyways I wrote this quickly, and will add more later, I just wanted to clear up some suspension myths I noticed on here.

Re: Caltracs Versus Triangulated system from Unlawfuls #494967
10/15/09 05:59 PM
10/15/09 05:59 PM
U.S.
M
moparniac Offline
master
moparniac  Offline
master
M

U.S.
This is a great thread and I wanna learn to tune a suspension better but this is getting crazy ... Lol

Mopar Performance
Re: Caltracs Versus Triangulated system from Unlawfuls [Re: moparniac] #494968
10/15/09 06:01 PM
10/15/09 06:01 PM
Amarillo, Texas
BBR Offline
master
BBR  Offline
master

Amarillo, Texas

Drag Week 2011 - 77th place - DD
Drag Week 2012 - 2nd place SRBB N/A
Drag Week 2014 - Kapooya
RMRW 2018
RMRW 2020
Re: Caltracs Versus Triangulated system from Unlawfuls [Re: Monte_Smith] #494969
10/15/09 06:30 PM
10/15/09 06:30 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

As far as taking the shocks completely off, I don't think so. That would not be safe nor smart, plus, how you going to hold the car up........

I should have written "take the shocks out of the equation"......

Quote:

.........I know where you get this stuff Wayne, I read it, but I am not buying it all.

Monte

Yeah, Billy stuff is interesting.......but he probably hasn't tuned a suspension on a race car since the High and Mighty........

Re: Caltracs Versus Triangulated system from Unlawfuls [Re: HerboldRacing] #494970
10/15/09 07:32 PM
10/15/09 07:32 PM
North Alabama
M
Monte_Smith Offline
master
Monte_Smith  Offline
master
M

North Alabama
Quote:

Quote:

plus, how you going to hold the car up.

Is this a trick question? Shocks don't hold the car up. The springs do. If you remove shocks from a car at rest, the car doesn't fall down.

Wayne has an excellent point - if your IC is exactly on your resultant vector then the rear shocks don't do anything at all. The springs aren't compressing or decompressing.

That is until you hit that nasty pothole in the track and then bazoing-oing-oing-oing-oing-oing...

How many 4-link race cars you seen that don't have coilovers.

Monte

Re: Caltracs Versus Triangulated system from Unlawfuls [Re: Monte_Smith] #494971
10/15/09 07:57 PM
10/15/09 07:57 PM
Phoenix, Arizona
HerboldRacing Offline
HerboldRacing  Offline

Phoenix, Arizona
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

plus, how you going to hold the car up.

Is this a trick question? Shocks don't hold the car up. The springs do. If you remove shocks from a car at rest, the car doesn't fall down.

How many 4-link race cars you seen that don't have coilovers.

I'm not sure what you are trying to say. The coil part of the coilover is what holds the car up. If you surgically remove the shock from the coilover, leaving the coil intact, the car is not going to fall down. The coil is the spring.

Anyhoo - you still need shocks anyway. It is wrong to assume the IC is in a fixed spot relative to the anti squat line, regardless of what suspension you have. Things like tire stacking, chassis flex, etc will change it. So you couldn't get rid of the shocks anyway. But in theory if you could magically force the IC to stay on the anti squat line and the track was perfectly flat then you wouldn't need shocks. Heck, you wouldn't need springs either - solid metal bars welded from the axle to the body would do.

Just to be clear, I totally with you, Monte. I am just . Everything you've said is and I'm not with you. I'm all and we should have a one day.

Marvin Herbold 1973 Plymouth Duster 340 Drag Car Blog - http://www.HerboldRacing.com Videos - http://www.YouTube.com/mherbold Pictures - http://gallery.herbold-family.com/main.php?g2_itemId=10331
Re: Caltracs Versus Triangulated system from Unlawfuls [Re: justinp61] #494972
10/15/09 08:45 PM
10/15/09 08:45 PM
Ortonville, MI
R
RoadRnnr69 Offline
Keyster
RoadRnnr69  Offline
Keyster
R

Ortonville, MI
Quote:

Quote:

Scot, I have never had a 60' better than 1.54.
I was 1.60 before but I always had tire spin off the line. Now I am limited by horespower.

Nice car . Is it still spinning off the line? Was the 1.54 spinning with the new rear suspension?

No spin at all. And Thank You

Last edited by RoadRnnr69; 10/15/09 08:57 PM.
Re: Caltracs Versus Triangulated system from Unlawfuls #494973
10/15/09 08:48 PM
10/15/09 08:48 PM
Ortonville, MI
StyleElements Offline
mopar
StyleElements  Offline
mopar

Ortonville, MI
Quote:

Quote:

Hey Monte, in your spare time, it'd be very interesting to test a 4 link car like this.......Put the IC on the anti-squat line, make three passes...........then take OFF the shocks and make three more passes and see what it does.........Those that claim that the IC needs to be on the anti-squat line also say that shocks don't do anything and aren't even needed on the rear because the body of the car is neither seperating or squatting.......(if the track is flat, but that's another story)..........

sorry i'm late to the party here, but i want to try and clear up some suspension misconceptions. The Instant Center of a suspension group is the point where suspension rotates around. What this means, is each type of suspension has to be evaluated differently. On a leaf spring car it is the front spring perch. On a ladder bar setup it is the front mounting point of bar. Now, on a 4 link car its an imaginary point where if you were to extend line through each suspension, it would be where the 2 intersect. Because of this you can get adjust the instant center to about anywhere you want on an adjustable 4 link. The Caltracs is a band aid fix, and in my opinion it has its uses, but because its limited adjustability its not maximizing the potential of the vehicle. Now I dont know who dug up the Anti-Squat info, Anti-squat is not a line from the CG to the contact patch, but its close to that, its a line from where the horizontal component intersects intersects a verticle line drawn through the front tire drawn through the rear contact patch. That line is 0 for anti squat, and 0 for squat. This means that the suspension will not lift the chassis, or the axle under torque. If the instant center of the suspension is above this line it has anti squat, which means it will try and lift the chassis under torque, if its below this line, it will lift the axle causing squat. Now we have to consider the dynamics of weight transfer next, when a car accelerates the horizontal compenent of G the accleration, moves the CG back so because of the different acceleration vector of gravity, its moving more weight to the rear tires, which will compress the suspension. Any time a spring moves, it must have a shock on it, because a spring will naturally want to resonate, the shock 1, controls the oscillation of the spring, and 2 also controls, the speed at which the spring and compress, and expand. So just because a car lowers in the rear doesnt necessarily mean its squatting. In the ideal launch, you want as much energy used to move the car forward, Not up, and not to move the suspension, and definiately not wasted at excess tire spin. So you have to balance the suspension to move forward as fast as it can, while still putting enough downward force on the rear tires. Anyways I wrote this quickly, and will add more later, I just wanted to clear up some suspension myths I noticed on here.

Seve is my hero

www.UnlawfulRacing.com Triangulated Four-Link Rear Suspensions for Mopars Gary Cooper Davis Official tribute page
Re: Caltracs Versus Triangulated system from Unlawfuls [Re: StyleElements] #494974
10/15/09 09:35 PM
10/15/09 09:35 PM
Canton, Ohio
S
Sport440 Offline
master
Sport440  Offline
master
S

Canton, Ohio
As far as the Caltracs go they do have the ability to change the IC,IMO. Sure the front eye spring mount remains the same and fixed, and its a single point.

But the two seperate contact points of the front swivel, upper{spring] and lower[bar] gives it the abilty to change the IC,IMO.

It reacts to the car,IMO like a Mini 2 point, 4 link, and I mean Mini. It also stiffens up that front segment a bunch. All in all the Caltrac setup is not a bad design and works great for alot of 9, 10 second combos.

Sure its not nearly as good as a 4 link or the triangulated system, but I wouldnt hesitate to use it.

mike

Re: Caltracs Versus Triangulated system from Unlawfuls [Re: Monte_Smith] #494975
10/16/09 11:55 AM
10/16/09 11:55 AM
Illinois, Indiana, Louisiana
ProStDodge Offline
master
ProStDodge  Offline
master

Monte - Just a quick note to say thank you for your correct information. I double-checked the information I had and was found to have an "outdated theory"

Thank you for your contributions to the board. I am always ready to learn, but sometimes a little stubborn!

P.S. I went right back to Dave Morgan (author of "Door Slammer Chassis Book") and here is the response he gave me.

Quote:

Scott!

Man, it's great to hear from you. I have wondered about you off-and-on for a while now, but had lost my contact information for you. Let's keep in touch/
The other fellow is correct and for the reasons he said. The success of the Cal-Trac bar is defined in a science known as kinimatics (the study of links). Any dirt track racer will tell you that if you want more bite coming out of a corner, you need to increase the upper angle of the lower bar on a fourlink. From an IC point of view, this is explined by the fact that the IC is moved upwards and rearwards. By changing the angle of the Cal-Trac bar, the lower bar pushes up against the chassis and therefore downwards against the housing. I did not know of these effects when you and I were together and it's been an upgrade to my seminar presentation.

Dave Morgan

Re: Caltracs Versus Triangulated system from Unlawfuls [Re: ProStDodge] #494976
10/16/09 03:37 PM
10/16/09 03:37 PM
Canton, Ohio
S
Sport440 Offline
master
Sport440  Offline
master
S

Canton, Ohio
Scott, Do I understand Dave Morgans statement correctly..

He seems to be stating that due to the science of kinimatics, the Caltracs do effect the IC by changing the position/angle of the bar. And now that hes aware of these Effects, hes included this as a upgrade to his Seminars.

So if I understand this right Dave Morgan is stating with Caltracs the IC is indeed adjustble by itys design. mike

Re: Caltracs Versus Triangulated system from Unlawfuls [Re: Sport440] #494977
10/16/09 07:44 PM
10/16/09 07:44 PM
ProStDodge Offline
master
ProStDodge  Offline
master

Mike,

I believe the "other gentelman" Dave was referring to is Monte, and that he (Monte) is correct that the IC is NOT changed by the Cal-Trac's. But by changing the bar position at the front you can change the amount of downward force applied to the rear end.

While this goes against what I have come to understand I will accept the word of these two experts (at least until I can find a way to prove otherwise of course!)

Re: Caltracs Versus Triangulated system from Unlawfuls [Re: ProStDodge] #494978
10/16/09 08:52 PM
10/16/09 08:52 PM
CT: Corrupticut
M
Mr71Bee Offline
Mr71Bee  Offline
M

CT: Corrupticut
WOW..... this is really deep... squate this, dampen that... it makes me dizzy

Now which suspension system is best for stopping my head from spinning?

Dallas

Re: Caltracs Versus Triangulated system from Unlawfuls [Re: Sport440] #494979
10/16/09 09:23 PM
10/16/09 09:23 PM
BX, CT, FL.
B
B1KILLER Offline
pro stock
B1KILLER  Offline
pro stock
B

BX, CT, FL.
Quote:

As far as the Caltracs go they do have the ability to change the IC,IMO. Sure the front eye spring mount remains the same and fixed, and its a single point.

But the two seperate contact points of the front swivel, upper{spring] and lower[bar] gives it the abilty to change the IC,IMO.

It reacts to the car,IMO like a Mini 2 point, 4 link, and I mean Mini. It also stiffens up that front segment a bunch. All in all the Caltrac setup is not a bad design and works great for alot of 9, 10 second combos.

Sure its not nearly as good as a 4 link or the triangulated system, but I wouldnt hesitate to use it.

mike

Then why does it work on my 10/28" tire car, in the 8's, and some other cars I now

5549993-atco6.jpg (99 downloads)
Re: Caltracs Versus Triangulated system from Unlawfuls [Re: B1KILLER] #494980
10/16/09 11:04 PM
10/16/09 11:04 PM
Canton, Ohio
S
Sport440 Offline
master
Sport440  Offline
master
S

Canton, Ohio
Quote:

Quote:

mike

Then why does it work on my 10/28" tire car, in the 8's, and some other cars I now

Hey,Im not running down the Caltracs!! Where did you get that from Maybe from the word [nearly] I didnt mean to take away anything from the Caltrack design. I like it!

My intent was to find out if the Caltrac design {does or does not} have any ability to change the IC by its Single 2 point lower bar adjustment.

IMO I think it does, or did. But now Im unsure. Monte says no, and as I interpreted Dave Morgans response in Scotts thread as it does.

But Scott replied back with his interpretation that both Dave and Monte are in agreement, that it doesnt.

So I dont know But I have Nothing against Catracs. I have nothing but up for them, mike

Re: Caltracs Versus Triangulated system from Unlawfuls [Re: Sport440] #494981
10/16/09 11:08 PM
10/16/09 11:08 PM
BX, CT, FL.
B
B1KILLER Offline
pro stock
B1KILLER  Offline
pro stock
B

BX, CT, FL.
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

mike

Hey,Im not running down the Caltracs!! Where did you get that from Maybe from the word [nearly] I didnt mean to take away anything from the Caltrack design. I like it!

My intent was to find out if the Caltrac design {does or does not} have any ability to change the IC by its Single 2 point lower bar adjustment.

IMO I think it does, or did. But now Im unsure. Monte says no, and as I interpreted Dave Morgans response in Scotts thread as it does.

But Scott replied back with his interpretation that both Dave and Monte are in agreement, that it doesnt.

So I dont know But I have Nothing against Catracs. I have nothing but up for them, mike

My bad

5550223-atco2.jpg (72 downloads)
Re: Caltracs Versus Triangulated system from Unlawfuls [Re: Mr71Bee] #494982
10/17/09 10:38 AM
10/17/09 10:38 AM
W. Kentucky
justinp61 Offline
I Live Here
justinp61  Offline
I Live Here

W. Kentucky
Quote:

WOW..... this is really deep... squate this, dampen that... it makes me dizzy

Now which suspension system is best for stopping my head from spinning?

Dallas

If you find it PM me . I can see what Monty is saying about the pivot on the Cal-Tracs and the IC not changing. But, how does the IC change on a four link? The bars are only moving up and down, the mounting point is not moving, it's welded in the car. It all seems to be theory to me. The Cal-Tracs have a single mounting point but so does the four link, the spring eye for the Cal-Trac and the front bracket on the four link.

I'm probably way out in left field on this and by no means an expert. Oh, I have Cal-Tracs on my pig .

This the kind of thread I like to read, hopefully I can learn something .

Re: Caltracs Versus Triangulated system from Unlawfuls [Re: justinp61] #494983
10/17/09 11:12 AM
10/17/09 11:12 AM
Lynchburg, VA
Leon441 Offline
master
Leon441  Offline
master

Lynchburg, VA
I have seen awesome results with Caltracs. They are an effective way to improve your 60 ft with leaf springs. But, people take the cheap route too far. Shocks are everything. If you read results from Caltrac owners there seems to be very substantial proof that the guy with a more adjustable shock that can tune these adjustments gets the better results.

There is no arguement from me that this new triangulated deal should deliver better results than Caltracs. It is more adjustable and should even the playing feild against the cars that were equiped from the factory with this suspension design. Again I say you need to buy good shocks to take full advantage.

Many hate the high cost of this triangulated four link. There is a good reason supply and demand. If this thing becomes legal in stock suspension classes there will be more demand. With all the work that has went into this the manufacturer can spread those cost over more units. If someone were to call and ask for 50 of these units you may be surprised how much lower the price could be. Really if you look at the work and design involved the price is very reasonable.

Maybe for those who are not held back by class rules this is a little suggestion. Get together and try to do a group buy-in. Be-aware that you need a leader who can easily be available to answer questions. Questions are a time killer for a manufacturer and are figured in the price of sale.

If you are forced to run leafs, go caltracs. If you just can't afford anything better go with caltracs. If you have the money and are not held back by rules but, don't want to back half your car this bolt in traingulated 4-link look great for a guy who is limited to hand tools. I like this deal. And if you are ever tired of it you can simply un-bolt and sell it to someone else.

Leon

Career best 8.02 @ 169 at 3050# and 10" tires small block power.
Re: Caltracs Versus Triangulated system from Unlawfuls [Re: Leon441] #494984
10/17/09 02:06 PM
10/17/09 02:06 PM
Park Forest, IL
slantzilla Offline
Too Many Posts
slantzilla  Offline
Too Many Posts

Park Forest, IL
Some really great reading in here.

"Everybody funny, now you funny too."
Re: Caltracs Versus Triangulated system from Unlawfuls [Re: slantzilla] #494985
10/17/09 03:05 PM
10/17/09 03:05 PM
Michigan
K
Kiddart Offline OP
pro stock
Kiddart  Offline OP
pro stock
K

Michigan
OK my last question. I am sitting here reading this over and over and keep picking up different parts and pieces so here it is, "Does a mono leaf ever wear out with all the forces from the torgue and not twisting or unloading, this is a big deal with most metals??? not a metalergist either, so is there an underlying secret here???
a yes or no is a perfect answer

Thanks
Kiddart

Thank you
Kiddart
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7