Ortonville, MI
R
RoadRnnr69 Offline
Keyster
RoadRnnr69  Offline
Keyster
R

Ortonville, MI

Re: Caltracs Versus Triangulated system from Unlawfuls [Re: HerboldRacing] #494947
10/15/09 12:38 AM
10/15/09 12:38 AM
North Alabama
M
Monte_Smith Offline
master
Monte_Smith  Offline
master
M

North Alabama
Quote:

Quote:

But I also have a upper and lower hole to mount on the front spring box so how many IC adjustments is that now....

According to me, 4! According to Caltracs & Leaf suspension haters, 0.

If you have two front spring mounts, you have two IC points. The two adjustment holes on the Caltrac bracket, simply change the force applied to the spring, to keep it from wrapping. Unless the pivot point changes, the IC does not. Now if you want to get into "theoretical" ICs, because of suspension movement and spring wrap, that number is huge, but not relavent to the discussion at hand.

As far as a leaf spring and Caltrac hater, no sir, not the case at all. As mentioned, I have used them with great results, when FORCED to do so, but I will stick to the term "crutch" because that is exactly what it is. A leaf spring suspension is a very poor drag race system and every traction bar, Caltrac, Slide-a-link and anything else you can name, has been devised in an attempt to keep the spring from wrapping up and none of these devices do a complete job of it it. So to me, that makes everyone of them a "crutch" to attempt to fix a poor design. The same way an engine girdle, is a "crutch" to try and hold the bottom end of an inferior block together. It does not "enhance" anything, if it did, girdles would also be installed on good blocks. When someone does not embrace the accepted, or the normal around here, they become labeled haters, know it alls, trouble makers, pot stirrers, whatever. No wonder knowledgeable people are leaving in droves. Mr. Irons, a person I do not know and have never met, is not the most popular on this site, from some of the things I have read, so it does not surprise me, that something he has engineered is not being welcomed with open arms. The Alter-K-tion front on the other hand, while admittedly a VERY nice piece, is NOT cheap either, yet gets rave reviews from nearly everyone. Can we not be as open minded about the rear of the car as we seem to be about the front.

Monte

Re: Caltracs Versus Triangulated system from Unlawfuls [Re: Monte_Smith] #494948
10/15/09 01:02 AM
10/15/09 01:02 AM
Ortonville, MI
StyleElements Offline
mopar
StyleElements  Offline
mopar

Ortonville, MI
Monte is my new favorite person on moparts

www.UnlawfulRacing.com Triangulated Four-Link Rear Suspensions for Mopars Gary Cooper Davis Official tribute page
Re: Caltracs Versus Triangulated system from Unlawfuls [Re: StyleElements] #494949
10/15/09 05:36 AM
10/15/09 05:36 AM
U.S.
M
moparniac Offline
master
moparniac  Offline
master
M

U.S.
The only time I had my challenger at the track I noticed the paint was wore right down to the metal on the front part of the wheelwell lips... I was thinking tire growth but the ET street radials dont grow I thought! It was my first time with the caltrac suspension and now im leaning towards the IC change?

Mopar Performance
Re: Caltracs Versus Triangulated system from Unlawfuls [Re: StyleElements] #494950
10/15/09 05:39 AM
10/15/09 05:39 AM
Illinois, Indiana, Louisiana
ProStDodge Offline
master
ProStDodge  Offline
master

Illinois, Indiana, Louisiana
OK - now I am going to have to do some research. But first here is what I "think".

It has been my understanding the IC is the EFFECTIVE lifting point of the suspension system not the mounting point of the suspension. This effective point is determined by the force vectors created by the mounting points. A 4-link IC is not at its mounting point but at an imaginary intersection point of the force vectors created by the bars.

So wouldn't the cal-trac bar be transferring an "effective" lift point different from the spring mount? Thereby changing the IC? It is at a different angle than the spring. With the spring wrap the shortening the front segment, it is effectively the top bar of a four link, and the leverage of the Caltrac bar being mounted lower than the axle, getting pushed forward, it would effectively be the lower bar of a four link. Changing the relationship between the two should move the effective IC. And moving the cal-trac bar up or down will change the forward force point, which would mean the IC would change.

My curiosity is peaked on this one, so I will go hit up a couple of PE's for answers.

Also, just because a system has more adjustment points (more IC's) doesn't make it "better" Only a few of the IC points are even close to correct on any given car even with a four link.

Don't get me wrong, I fully believe a leaf spring system is much less than ideal, but it can be made to work fairly well on many cars. Just for reference my last "street" car was a ladder bar setup and my new one is a true four link.

And looking back at an earlier post, I don't see the RMS Street Lynx having less strength than the Unlawful unit. Both have solid top and bottom bars, both mount the lowers at the original spring perch and the top bars to a bar welded between the frame rails. Both bolt to the housing using U-bolts. The RMS has three U-bolts per side, and I only see two in the posted Unlawful picture. Both allow for larger tires than leaf springs.

I do like the RMS Lynx having the shocks mount in front of the rear end housing, making it fit much more easily in a A-body even with the spare tire well.

So I guess it boils down to prices vs performance goals/gains.

Cal-Tracs w/ mono springs and rancho shocks - $815
RMS lynx - all parts included w/QA1 shocks $1795
Unlawful w/all parts included $3995
4-link $4,000 to - $9,000 depending on who, and what is done.

Scott

Re: Caltracs Versus Triangulated system from Unlawfuls [Re: ProStDodge] #494951
10/15/09 05:47 AM
10/15/09 05:47 AM
Finalnd, Perkele
J
jyrki Offline
master
jyrki  Offline
master
J

Finalnd, Perkele
I have never seen a link or ladder bar suspension with all the bars beneath the axle tube. The only part in the chassis of the cal tracs is teh pivot point, and tiäs the same as the leaf spring mount hole

Plynouth VIP '67 TT IC EFI
Re: Caltracs Versus Triangulated system from Unlawfuls [Re: Kiddart] #494952
10/15/09 07:14 AM
10/15/09 07:14 AM
St. Clair Shores, Michigan
bigsbigelow Offline
pro stock
bigsbigelow  Offline
pro stock

St. Clair Shores, Michigan
Hey Uncle Scot. IMO I would stick with the SS springs. If it isn't broke, don't fix it. What I would look into is a new front suspension system to cut weight or just find places to cut weight. I know you are chasing E.T. and I don't think either of those suspension systems will get you where you want to be but cutting some weight will.

Last edited by bigsbigelow; 10/15/09 07:20 AM.

Ryan "Bigs" '73 Duster (BLKDUST) - Black, 100% factory sheet metal, flat hood, 346 cid, J Heads, and a bench seat. http://s268.photobucket.com/albums/jj1/bigsbigelow/ Best to date: 12.40 @ 109 mph
Re: Caltracs Versus Triangulated system from Unlawfuls [Re: bigsbigelow] #494953
10/15/09 07:49 AM
10/15/09 07:49 AM
Aurora, Oh.
M
max_maniac Offline
master
max_maniac  Offline
master
M

Aurora, Oh.
When someone does not embrace the accepted, or the normal around here, they become labeled haters, know it alls, trouble makers, pot stirrers, whatever. No wonder knowledgeable people are leaving in droves. Mr. Irons, a person I do not know and have never met, is not the most popular on this site, from some of the things I have read, so it does not surprise me, that something he has engineered is not being welcomed with open arms. The Alter-K-tion front on the other hand, while admittedly a VERY nice piece, is NOT cheap either, yet gets rave reviews from nearly everyone. Can we not be as open minded about the rear of the car as we seem to be about the front.

Monte

Very well said

Russ

Re: Caltracs Versus Triangulated system from Unlawfuls [Re: bigsbigelow] #494954
10/15/09 07:51 AM
10/15/09 07:51 AM
Michigan
K
Kiddart Offline OP
pro stock
Kiddart  Offline OP
pro stock
K

Michigan
Thanks Ryan, not only the E.T. but Brian as well, im tired of seeing his tail lights. LOL, hey he is going to No ET saturday have your dad call him, he is looking to see if the crewwants to go!!??

Thank you
Kiddart
Post deleted by Defbob [Re: Monte_Smith] #494955
10/15/09 08:31 AM
10/15/09 08:31 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Re: Caltracs Versus Triangulated system from Unlawfuls #494956
10/15/09 08:57 AM
10/15/09 08:57 AM
BX, CT, FL.
B
B1KILLER Offline
pro stock
B1KILLER  Offline
pro stock
B

BX, CT, FL.
I will admit, I have a front end from RMS, its expensive, but it makes my life so much easier. Steering Box, torsion, exc ain't nda way. Leaves plenty of room for what ever. I guess its all a matter of $$$, if you can afford it, go for it. Not that I have money to pi$$ away, but I go for it every now and then. Caltrac works for me, its a not so expensive, and give my car a factory stance.

5546426-atco2.jpg (116 downloads)
Last edited by B1KILLER; 10/15/09 09:00 AM.
Re: Caltracs Versus Triangulated system from Unlawfuls [Re: ProStDodge] #494957
10/15/09 09:39 AM
10/15/09 09:39 AM
WI.
S
Scotts71chall Offline
mopar
Scotts71chall  Offline
mopar
S

WI.
Quote:

OK - now I am going to have to do some research. But first here is what I "think".

It has been my understanding the IC is the EFFECTIVE lifting point of the suspension system not the mounting point of the suspension. This effective point is determined by the force vectors created by the mounting points. A 4-link IC is not at its mounting point but at an imaginary intersection point of the force vectors created by the bars.

So wouldn't the cal-trac bar be transferring an "effective" lift point different from the spring mount? Thereby changing the IC? It is at a different angle than the spring. With the spring wrap the shortening the front segment, it is effectively the top bar of a four link, and the leverage of the Caltrac bar being mounted lower than the axle, getting pushed forward, it would effectively be the lower bar of a four link. Changing the relationship between the two should move the effective IC. And moving the cal-trac bar up or down will change the forward force point, which would mean the IC would change.

My curiosity is peaked on this one, so I will go hit up a couple of PE's for answers.

Also, just because a system has more adjustment points (more IC's) doesn't make it "better" Only a few of the IC points are even close to correct on any given car even with a four link.

Don't get me wrong, I fully believe a leaf spring system is much less than ideal, but it can be made to work fairly well on many cars. Just for reference my last "street" car was a ladder bar setup and my new one is a true four link.

And looking back at an earlier post, I don't see the RMS Street Lynx having less strength than the Unlawful unit. Both have solid top and bottom bars, both mount the lowers at the original spring perch and the top bars to a bar welded between the frame rails. Both bolt to the housing using U-bolts. The RMS has three U-bolts per side, and I only see two in the posted Unlawful picture. Both allow for larger tires than leaf springs.

I do like the RMS Lynx having the shocks mount in front of the rear end housing, making it fit much more easily in a A-body even with the spare tire well.

Scott

Or you could make your own triangulated 4-link set up for around $1000.00

Scott

Re: Caltracs Versus Triangulated system from Unlawfuls [Re: HerboldRacing] #494958
10/15/09 10:03 AM
10/15/09 10:03 AM
Q
quick77rt Offline
Parts Problem
quick77rt  Offline
Parts Problem
Q

For the majority of us caltracks are fine, and its clear there is a sales pitch involved in the other options.

Its very easy to beef up your front spring boxes as well as make a added thicker plate on the backside of the tq box where the spring box bolts on if one is worried.

Quote:

Quote:

other than preload, its not adjustable.

Again, not true. You can select one of the two holes to change the IC which affects how hard your tires hit, among other things.

And I noticed you edited your post. You had originally said:

Quote:

Cal-Tracs will make your car squat, which is wasted motion and time not going forward.

Definitely not true. My car does not squat when I launch with my Caltracs.

Now before you get all agitated, let me point out that you are affiliated with UnlawfulRacing and you're biased towards favoring your own products. That is perfectly understandable and just fine. Nothing wrong with that.

And then you've also got to realize that people have to take everything you say with a grain of salt because of that.

Now, an important thing to keep in mind when trying to sell your product, is to not bash anybody else's product. This is because when you say something that someone refutes, you just end up with your foot in your mouth and that is not going to help sales.

Just trying to be helpful and give you constructive criticism. Going back to my corner now.

Re: Caltracs Versus Triangulated system from Unlawfuls [Re: Scotts71chall] #494959
10/15/09 10:19 AM
10/15/09 10:19 AM
The Wet Coast, Canada
megajoltman Offline
master
megajoltman  Offline
master

The Wet Coast, Canada
Quote:

Quote:

Scott

Or you could make your own triangulated 4-link set up for around $1000.00

Scott

With my fabricating and welding skills that would end up looking like cobbled up piece of crap lol
So for me that's not a option I got a good deal on a "bandaid" Caltrac system so I hope I didn't waist my hard earned money.

Last edited by megajoltman; 10/15/09 10:19 AM.

1969 Dart 383/727/D60

CTD Ram 4x4 Mega Cab

Procharged 350Z
Re: Caltracs Versus Triangulated system from Unlawfuls [Re: RoadRnnr69] #494960
10/15/09 11:54 AM
10/15/09 11:54 AM
W. Kentucky
justinp61 Offline
I Live Here
justinp61  Offline
I Live Here

W. Kentucky
Quote:

Scot, I have never had a 60' better than 1.54.
I was 1.60 before but I always had tire spin off the line. Now I am limited by horespower.

Nice car . Is it still spinning off the line? Was the 1.54 spinning with the new rear suspension?

Re: Caltracs Versus Triangulated system from Unlawfuls [Re: justinp61] #494961
10/15/09 01:06 PM
10/15/09 01:06 PM
North Alabama
M
Monte_Smith Offline
master
Monte_Smith  Offline
master
M

North Alabama
Suspension 101...

The IC (Instant Center) of any suspension system, is the point where the forces from the rearend housing, apply themselves to the chassis. In the case of single pivot systems, like leaf springs, ladder bars, torque arms, truck arms, etc, that point is where the link connects to the chassis. This is where the rear connects, so it is the ONLY place that force can be applied. The advantage of a 4-bar, is the ability to "project" the IC to a number of different places, because you have more than one pivot point. All vehicles, are trying to "throw" the rearend housing out of the car, when you drop the hammer. Suspension, allows you to control the housing and place the force on the chassis, providing the car with weight transfer. Why do you think leafs wrap up??? because they are pushing on the spring hanger and are not stiff enough to stay straight, is the reason. This is all a Caltrac, or any other leaf spring traction device for that matter, does. It is an attempt to keep the spring straight, so that max force can be applied to the chassis. Where forces are applied, changes how the car reacts. Every car has an "anti squat line". This line extends from the center of gravity, down to the front of the contact patch of the rear tire. If the suspension pickup point, is below the anti-squat line, the car seperates in the rear on launch. If the pickup point is above the anti-squat line, the car squats on launch. If the the pickup point is on the line, the car does neither. Some suspension guys, theorize the IC ON the anti-squat is ideal for any application, because this is where the car has the least wasted movement and applies the most power, but my own testing does not seem to support that. So if you understand how a suspension system really works, it is much easier to understand how various methods of housing control, effect how the car reacts, applies force and what your adjustments are actually doing. Basically, a ladder bar, is like a leaf spring, but the advantage is the ladder bar will not give, plus it moves the IC forward because of bar length. This applies force to the chassis further forward, creating better leverage and increased weight transfer. If you could make your front spring segment dead stiff and move the mounting point out even with the ladder bar, it would be as good as a ladder bar. All this is why link suspensions, be it a 3 or 4 link, is far superior. You can place the IC where it NEEDS to be, to properly apply the force to the chassis, to get the results you desire........Oh, one more thing, if you followed this at all and learned anything about how suspensions work, you can also see why good SHOCKS are critical for a good working car. The whole exercise is about "controlling the housing and applying force". You can have the trickest suspension in the world, but junk shocks render it useless.

Monte

Re: Caltracs Versus Triangulated system from Unlawfuls [Re: Monte_Smith] #494962
10/15/09 02:24 PM
10/15/09 02:24 PM
Colorado,U.S.A
4404dart Offline
pro stock
4404dart  Offline
pro stock

Colorado,U.S.A
Quote:

Suspension 101...

The IC (Instant Center) of any suspension system, is the point where the forces from the rearend housing, apply themselves to the chassis. Basically, a ladder bar, is like a leaf spring, but the advantage is the ladder bar will not give, plus it moves the IC forward because of bar length. This applies force to the chassis further forward, creating better leverage and increased weight transfer. If you could make your front spring segment dead stiff and move the mounting point out even with the ladder bar, it would be as good as a ladder bar. All this is why link suspensions, be it a 3 or 4 link, is far superior. You can place the IC where it NEEDS to be, to properly apply the force to the chassis, to get the results you desire........Oh, one more thing, if you followed this at all and learned anything about how suspensions work, you can also see why good SHOCKS are critical for a good working car. The whole exercise is about "controlling the housing and applying force". You can have the trickest suspension in the world, but junk shocks render it useless.

Monte

If I had talked to someone like Monte before I purchsed my Caltracs and split mono leafs, I would of bought Chevy length springs which are 5 inches longer in the front segment of the spring. This would of required a little more fabrication, but I think in my case of trying to hook up a 10.5 tire with a BB nitrous trans brake combo, it would of helped. Next step is "good" shocks, and maybe a glide($). I have to run the leafs to be legal in my heads up class, but that triangulated 4 link looks like a nice system. I hope the original poster got some helpful info from his question? I know I'm getting something out of it.

Re: Caltracs Versus Triangulated system from Unlawfuls [Re: Monte_Smith] #494963
10/15/09 04:54 PM
10/15/09 04:54 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Suspension 101...

.......Every car has an "anti squat line". This line extends from the center of gravity, down to the front of the contact patch of the rear tire. If the suspension pickup point, is below the anti-squat line, the car seperates in the rear on launch. If the pickup point is above the anti-squat line, the car squats on launch. If the the pickup point is on the line, the car does neither. Some suspension guys, theorize the IC ON the anti-squat is ideal for any application, because this is where the car has the least wasted movement and applies the most power, but my own testing does not seem to support that...........Basically, a ladder bar, is like a leaf spring, but the advantage is the ladder bar will not give, plus it moves the IC forward because of bar length. This applies force to the chassis further forward, creating better leverage and increased weight transfer.

If you could make your front spring segment dead stiff and move the mounting point out even with the ladder bar, it would be as good as a ladder bar. All this is why link suspensions, be it a 3 or 4 link, is far superior. You can place the IC where it NEEDS to be, (which, may be RIGHT ON the anti-squat line??? )to properly apply the force to the chassis, to get the results you desire........

Oh, one more thing, if you followed this at all and learned anything about how suspensions work, you can also see why good SHOCKS are critical for a good working car. The whole exercise is about "controlling the housing and applying force". You can have the trickest suspension in the world, but junk shocks render it useless.

Monte

Yeah, shocks are to keep the car from seperating or squatting IF the IC isn't on the anti-squat line?????......... .......just food for thought.......

Hey Monte, in your spare time, it'd be very interesting to test a 4 link car like this.......Put the IC on the anti-squat line, make three passes...........then take OFF the shocks and make three more passes and see what it does.........Those that claim that the IC needs to be on the anti-squat line also say that shocks don't do anything and aren't even needed on the rear because the body of the car is neither seperating or squatting.......(if the track is flat, but that's another story)..........

Re: Caltracs Versus Triangulated system from Unlawfuls #494964
10/15/09 05:15 PM
10/15/09 05:15 PM
North Alabama
M
Monte_Smith Offline
master
Monte_Smith  Offline
master
M

North Alabama
The shocks are not to KEEP the car from doing anything. Shocks help you "control" the housing. As far as taking the shocks completely off, I don't think so. That would not be safe nor smart, plus, how you going to hold the car up. You can accomplish the same thing by watching shocks sensors on the racepak data. That will show if they are "doing anything" or not. Not buying the shocks are not needed at all. When you first drop the hammer, regardless of suspension type, the car tries to throw the housing out and rapidly extends the shock...THEN, the forces are applied to the chassis through the suspension bars or links. Personally, I ain't dropping the hammer on anything with no shock on it. I know where you get this stuff Wayne, I read it, but I am not buying it all.

Monte

Re: Caltracs Versus Triangulated system from Unlawfuls [Re: Monte_Smith] #494965
10/15/09 05:35 PM
10/15/09 05:35 PM
Phoenix, Arizona
HerboldRacing Offline
HerboldRacing  Offline

Phoenix, Arizona
Quote:

plus, how you going to hold the car up.

Is this a trick question? Shocks don't hold the car up. The springs do. If you remove shocks from a car at rest, the car doesn't fall down.

Wayne has an excellent point - if your IC is exactly on your resultant vector then the rear shocks don't do anything at all. The springs aren't compressing or decompressing.

That is until you hit that nasty pothole in the track and then bazoing-oing-oing-oing-oing-oing...

Marvin Herbold 1973 Plymouth Duster 340 Drag Car Blog - http://www.HerboldRacing.com Videos - http://www.YouTube.com/mherbold Pictures - http://gallery.herbold-family.com/main.php?g2_itemId=10331
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7