Ortonville, MI
R
RoadRnnr69 Offline
Keyster
RoadRnnr69  Offline
Keyster
R

Ortonville, MI
Scot, I have never had a 60' better than 1.54.
I was 1.60 before but I always had tire spin off the line. Now I am limited by horespower.

Re: Caltracs Versus Triangulated system from Unlawfuls [Re: RoadRnnr69] #494907
10/13/09 07:33 PM
10/13/09 07:33 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Scot, based on your posts it looks like you already made your mind up on the cal tracs.
The Unlawful system is nothing like the street links. I see a lot of people racing and cruising with the alterkation front ends but havn't seen anybody racing with the rear ends. No offense but it just doen't look like it can take a lot of power. I am no engineer so it just my opinion. The Unlwaful system can take a ton of power where the street links seems to be more for street use.
The cal tracs do work for racing but not so good for street use, you are basically making the front half of your spring a solid link. This can and sometimes does tear parts of the car if a lot of power is applied to a weak or rusty car.
Make sure you have a solid body at the connections for the springs!!!
Like any system, cal tracs are just not as simple as bolting it on. There is going to be other stuff you need to change and upgrade. The Unlawful system is complete when you get it, shocks, springs, bolts hangers, everything you need to put it together. All the little stuff adds up. I needed nothing else for this system.
You can adjust this system to leave flat and maximize traction, or pull a big wheelie if you want to. It is all how you set the instant center and can be changed at the track in minutes, literally!!. Cal tracs can't change the instant center, only stop the axle wrap.
This is very streetable as well!!! My car handles like it's on rails.
This system is not a back half but gives you many of the same advantages. One thing about it is that you can easily go back to stock on a valuable musclecar, you can't do that with a back half.

Again, this is just the opinion of a guy who uses a particular system and likes it. It has improved my car by .20 second in the quarter.
I have my flack jacket on so fire away!!

What's one of those set ups run money wise? And no I don't want to call somebody to find out lol, just curious

Re: Caltracs Versus Triangulated system from Unlawfuls [Re: RoadRnnr69] #494908
10/13/09 07:40 PM
10/13/09 07:40 PM
Marion, South Carolina [><]
an8sec70cuda Offline
I Live Here
an8sec70cuda  Offline
I Live Here

Only other thing done to my car to "assist" the Cal-Tracs was to tie the torque boxes in to my subframe connectors so the forward spring mount doesn't get ripped out the car.

I am sure the Irons' suspension works very well, but for 3 or 4 times the cost of Cal-Tracs, I wouldn't even consider it. Even after you buy the whole Cal-Trac setup (springs, bars, shocks) and reinforce your torque boxes...you are nowhere near the cost of the Irons' kit. I don't think the Irons' suspension would be legal for any stock suspension classes either, that's something some people may need to consider.
Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it's a nice kit and works well, but for the money... I'll keep my Cal-Tracs for a street/strip car.

If you're considering doing some corner carving or want it to handle better, then by all means, the Irons' kit may be for you. If you're a stock suspension racer, or do more strip than street driving, stick with Cal-Tracs. CHIP

CHIP
'70 hemicuda, 575" Hemi, 727, Dana 60
'69 road runner, 440-6, 18 spline 4 speed, Dana 60
'71 Demon, 340, low gear 904, 8.75
'73 Chrysler New Yorker, 440, 727, 8.75
'90 Chevy 454SS Silverado, 476" BBC, TH400, 14 bolt
'06 GMC 2500HD LBZ Duramax
Re: Caltracs Versus Triangulated system from Unlawfuls [Re: an8sec70cuda] #494909
10/13/09 08:10 PM
10/13/09 08:10 PM
Ortonville, MI
R
RoadRnnr69 Offline
Keyster
RoadRnnr69  Offline
Keyster
R

Ortonville, MI
By the time you buy the mono leafs, cal tracs, good adjustable race shocks, reinforce the torque boxes, new rear shackles (because the old ones broke when you took then off), spring relocation kit (if you want a bigger tire on an A body), bigger U bolts (if you need to use the shims to set your pinion angle), weld straps to hold the perches in place, sub frame connectors (if you didn't already have them) you are almost at $2000. Then you have a system that adjusts the instant center twice. Again I am no expert on cal tracs and I don't claim to know the limitations or advantages, I am only commenting on what was said in this thread. I know that many of the people on Moparts are using them very successfully and they know much more about them than I do for certain!!

My B body is very solid, but my A body is a Michigan car. The subframe for this system actually makes the car stronger.

The kit is supposed to be legal in stock classes if bolted in, the kit is able to be bolted in as is but it should have crush sleeves in the frame so when you tighten it down it doesnt crush the frame rails.

I know a lot of people are racing leaf springs and going very fast. I am no professional racer but for 10 years with super stock springs it would jump up then unload and spin the tires. I had to learn to feather the gas off teh line. Now I stab it and it goes.

My car is the prototype so it has cost about $10,000 to set up. I believe the kit is about $4000 in it's latest version for a complete system. You could always ask for it without shocks and springs, maybe without the sway bar and save some money but then the set up and base line would be up to you. Jack already has base lines figured out.

I was also able to put bigger tires on it without touching any sheet metal. 295/65/15, 30" tall and 11 3/4" wide.

Last edited by RoadRnnr69; 10/13/09 08:12 PM.
Re: Caltracs Versus Triangulated system from Unlawfuls [Re: RoadRnnr69] #494910
10/13/09 08:21 PM
10/13/09 08:21 PM
BX, CT, FL.
B
B1KILLER Offline
pro stock
B1KILLER  Offline
pro stock
B

BX, CT, FL.
No problem running inda 8's with Caltracs

5543447-atco1.jpg (238 downloads)
Last edited by B1KILLER; 10/13/09 08:25 PM.
Re: Caltracs Versus Triangulated system from Unlawfuls [Re: B1KILLER] #494911
10/13/09 08:30 PM
10/13/09 08:30 PM
Yes
S
sixpakdodge Offline
master
sixpakdodge  Offline
master
S

Yes
So, it cost $10k on the Unlawful prototype to pick up .2 and will cost anyone else roughly $4k for ???

I'd go with Cal-Tracs or just back half the car. Both being proven methods. The Unlawful deal seems like a lot of BS for the money and the only ones who seem to back it up are friends of those who make it. Also, doesn't seem to be too much info on how well it works.

Re: Caltracs Versus Triangulated system from Unlawfuls [Re: sixpakdodge] #494912
10/13/09 08:48 PM
10/13/09 08:48 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

So it's roughly around 4k for the rear? Looks like a really cool set up, too bad you can't run the exhaust all the way back, that's kinda half of the fun of Mopars is the tail pipes lol j/k.

Fyi I run a 11.5" wide tire on my '69 Satellite with stock rear suspension, it's all in the offset.

I've deal with alot of 4-link set ups, and Cal Tracs (I never spent over 1k on the whole set up) and now adays I just prefer to go straight to the Cal Tracs for ease of set up and work, and consitancy, there's really not much to set up, it just works.... unlike having to doink around with a 4 link at the track trying different things.

I wanted to make this next car a real corner carver, so I've been looking at different suspension set ups.... and the Unlawful one sure is nice.... I'll see if it's in the budget when the time gets closer

Re: Caltracs Versus Triangulated system from Unlawfuls #494913
10/13/09 08:59 PM
10/13/09 08:59 PM
Michigan
K
Kiddart Offline OP
pro stock
Kiddart  Offline OP
pro stock
K

Michigan
Guys!!! lets not bash the system. I just needed the pros and cons. I have it and I thank everyone for there two cents. I am torn, I will flip the coin and see how it turns out atr a later date. ona seperate note I run a indy 415 small block with a 5000 stall and my best 60ft is 1.43 to 1.45 am I where I need to be, the car launches hard in my opinion. just asking and trying to take the heat away from this thread.

Thank you
Kiddart
Re: Caltracs Versus Triangulated system from Unlawfuls #494914
10/13/09 09:29 PM
10/13/09 09:29 PM
Ortonville, MI
R
RoadRnnr69 Offline
Keyster
RoadRnnr69  Offline
Keyster
R

Ortonville, MI
Quote:

too bad you can't run the exhaust all the way back, that's kinda half of the fun of Mopars is the tail pipes lol j/k.

I know!! I miss my tail pipes!! I live on a dirt road and it kicks up all kinds of dust!! They will fit, just not like a pre-made TTI system. I have a box of mandrel bends. I am going to work on it after SEMA. It will give me something to do when they ship the car back from Vegas.

The other cars that have it had the down turns anyway.

I really don't see it as bashing any kind of system, it is just discussion. This kind of discussion answeres a lot of questions for people without ever having to ask

One thought though, when Calvert and Reilly designed their systems did their freinds and people that had it first talk about them and support them? Anything new will take time, especially in this economy, to get unbiased reviews. Jack's systems are out there, even one in Europe.

$10,000 is a lot of trial and error and many, many hours when he should have been building one of his own cars!!

When I say that I picked up 2 tenths, understand that I am not a weekly or even monthly drag racer. I just get in and push the gas down. The car does what the car does.

Re: Caltracs Versus Triangulated system from Unlawfuls [Re: RoadRnnr69] #494915
10/13/09 10:00 PM
10/13/09 10:00 PM
Down South
DaKuda Offline
super stock
DaKuda  Offline
super stock

Down South
ENOUGH said by the picture.....stop waisting your time and get the CalTracs. We have tried it all and CalTracs come in third place only to a ladder bar and 4-link. Not to mention Calvert has GREAT customer service.

1. 4-link
2. ladder bar
3. CalTracs
4. PERIOD!!!

5543706-burdine1.jpg (283 downloads)
Last edited by DaKuda; 10/13/09 10:02 PM.
Re: Caltracs Versus Triangulated system from Unlawfuls [Re: DaKuda] #494916
10/13/09 10:04 PM
10/13/09 10:04 PM
Down South
DaKuda Offline
super stock
DaKuda  Offline
super stock

Down South

5543716-Jeff-Teuton-1.jpg (277 downloads)
Re: Caltracs Versus Triangulated system from Unlawfuls [Re: DaKuda] #494917
10/13/09 10:05 PM
10/13/09 10:05 PM
Down South
DaKuda Offline
super stock
DaKuda  Offline
super stock

Down South

Re: Caltracs Versus Triangulated system from Unlawfuls [Re: sixpakdodge] #494918
10/13/09 10:28 PM
10/13/09 10:28 PM
Ortonville, MI
StyleElements Offline
mopar
StyleElements  Offline
mopar

Ortonville, MI
Quote:

So, it cost $10k on the Unlawful prototype to pick up .2 and will cost anyone else roughly $4k for ???

I'd go with Cal-Tracs or just back half the car. Both being proven methods. The Unlawful deal seems like a lot of BS for the money and the only ones who seem to back it up are friends of those who make it. Also, doesn't seem to be too much info on how well it works.

You think $10 is too much for 2-1/2 long hard years of research and development? All the mistakes, the lessons learned, the test parts, all the revisions making thousands of dollars worth of parts in stock obsolete .. And all to pick up 2/10ths? You think that's all there is too it? That's the only benefit?

So our systems seem like a lot of BS do they ... what does this even mean? Are you implying all triangulated 4-link suspension systems are BS? Or just ours? What's your issue with ours? What exactly is the "BS"?

Yeah we have support from our friends, because a few close friends have been a part of the long journey to get where we are. Our friends have been a great help and involved every step of the way. You don't hear from many people who aren't our friends because there aren't a ton of systems out there, because we're finally to the point where we have our latest designs nailed down, and can finally start manufacturing systems in higher quantities to keep up with demand.

I think Irons Works (unlawfulracing.com) has done pretty good for just a father and son team with no outside help aside from a few good friends. We designed every aspect of our systems, manufacture 100% of them, created our own website & forum, make our own video advertisements, brochures, etc. So thanks for your kind words.

This thread needs a reference picture.

www.UnlawfulRacing.com Triangulated Four-Link Rear Suspensions for Mopars Gary Cooper Davis Official tribute page
Post deleted by Defbob [Re: DaKuda] #494919
10/13/09 10:33 PM
10/13/09 10:33 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Re: Caltracs Versus Triangulated system from Unlawfuls #494920
10/14/09 07:31 AM
10/14/09 07:31 AM
pa
572charger Offline
top fuel
572charger  Offline
top fuel

pa
i just ran a 9.69 at 140+ with a 1.39 60ft on et streets at dragway 42 which prosport calls the worst track in ohio !!! i like my cal tracks they are real easy to in stall and adj ! bottom hole 1/8 turn preload on the right just touching on the left shocks on 7 ive got 800.00 in everything !!! and u will have to gusset the spring pads !!! mine tried to roll them off of the housing !! hits hard/ :drives nice as super stocks on the street !!

606 hemi pump gas best 9.60 at 142mph on motor
05 hemi daytona 1500 go-mango 4wd quadcab
2007 hotrod mag pump gas drags runner up, roadkill nights dodge big tire winner 2018 2019 back to back
Re: Caltracs Versus Triangulated system from Unlawfuls [Re: RoadRnnr69] #494921
10/14/09 07:45 AM
10/14/09 07:45 AM
an8sec70cuda Offline
I Live Here
an8sec70cuda  Offline
I Live Here

Roadrnnr69 and Styleelements...Don't take what I've said here as bashing, that's not what I intended. Just simply discussing and comparing the 2 setups.

The Irons' suspension is nice and I'm sure works well, but the cost and the questionable legality in stock suspension classes is what steers me away from it. Just b/c it can bolt in does not mean it will be legal for ss classes.
If the car came with leaf springs, it still needs to have leaf springs under it according to most class rules. Don't think they won't DQ you even if you bolted the system in. Like Big Squeeze said, you can make ladder bars bolt in, but it won't be legal.
No matter how you slice it, Cal-Tracs are 1/2 to a 1/3 of the cost of the Irons' setup and will likely go just as quick to the 60'. CHIP

CHIP
'70 hemicuda, 575" Hemi, 727, Dana 60
'69 road runner, 440-6, 18 spline 4 speed, Dana 60
'71 Demon, 340, low gear 904, 8.75
'73 Chrysler New Yorker, 440, 727, 8.75
'90 Chevy 454SS Silverado, 476" BBC, TH400, 14 bolt
'06 GMC 2500HD LBZ Duramax
Re: Caltracs Versus Triangulated system from Unlawfuls [Re: an8sec70cuda] #494922
10/14/09 10:36 AM
10/14/09 10:36 AM
Ortonville, MI
StyleElements Offline
mopar
StyleElements  Offline
mopar

Ortonville, MI
Quote:

No matter how you slice it, Cal-Tracs are 1/2 to a 1/3 of the cost of the Irons' setup and will likely go just as quick to the 60'. CHIP

There's a WHOLE lot more to our system than 60' times. Ours systems are completely adjustable for ride height, stance, tire clearance, pinion angle, and instant-center. Our systems also allow for more tire clearance for a wider wheel and tire without tubbing.

My is you will have a quicker 60' with our system opposed to Cal-Tracs because there is no wasted motion when launching. The tires plant, the car jumps FORWARD. A Cal-Trac is a glorified torque arm. It's only benefit over a single torque arm bar (ladder bar), is that bolting to the spring and the spring mounting point, they effectively control the length of the front half of the spring keeping it from winding. other than preload, its not adjustable. With our 4-link setup, you can control the instant-center. By being able to move the instant center you can control the anti-squat. The more anti-squat the better for drag racing usually, because every action has an equal and opposite reaction. The harder you lift the car from the suspension moving, the harder it plants the tires.

www.UnlawfulRacing.com Triangulated Four-Link Rear Suspensions for Mopars Gary Cooper Davis Official tribute page
Re: Caltracs Versus Triangulated system from Unlawfuls [Re: StyleElements] #494923
10/14/09 11:18 AM
10/14/09 11:18 AM
North Alabama
M
Monte_Smith Offline
master
Monte_Smith  Offline
master
M

North Alabama
This is pretty simple, Cal Tracks or not, leaf springs are on the BOTTOM of the list, as far as desirable suspension for a race car. Sure some cars go fast with them, but they are nowhere near as good as a link system. In high HP applications, leafs are really hit and miss and basically suck. Yeah, that 4 bar system may be a little pricey, but way cheaper than backhalfing a car, plus anybody can install this at home. It would be an easy choice for me, if I could afford the link system, that is what I would buy. From what we have seen, the short upper bar 4 links, like this one, Mustangs and G-body's, work VERY well and will be much more predictable and adjustable than leafs, any day of the week.

Also, somebody said you can adjust the IC with Cal Tracks, no you can't. The IC is where the spring bolts into the car. The spring is attached solidly to the housing and the housing is bolted in the car, THAT point is the IC, period. You can adjust how the suspension reacts by moving the Cal Track bar, but not the IC. Like was stated, the CalTrack is a fancy slapper bar. It's only purpose is to try and keep the front segment from flexing.

Monte

Re: Caltracs Versus Triangulated system from Unlawfuls [Re: Monte_Smith] #494924
10/14/09 12:02 PM
10/14/09 12:02 PM
Michigan
H
Hemiroid Offline
super stock
Hemiroid  Offline
super stock
H

Michigan
Quote:

This is pretty simple, Cal Tracks or not, leaf springs are on the BOTTOM of the list, as far as desirable suspension for a race car. Sure some cars go fast with them, but they are nowhere near as good as a link system. In high HP applications, leafs are really hit and miss and basically suck. Yeah, that 4 bar system may be a little pricey, but way cheaper than backhalfing a car, plus anybody can install this at home. It would be an easy choice for me, if I could afford the link system, that is what I would buy. From what we have seen, the short upper bar 4 links, like this one, Mustangs and G-body's, work VERY well and will be much more predictable and adjustable than leafs, any day of the week.

Also, somebody said you can adjust the IC with Cal Tracks, no you can't. The IC is where the spring bolts into the car. The spring is attached solidly to the housing and the housing is bolted in the car, THAT point is the IC, period. You can adjust how the suspension reacts by moving the Cal Track bar, but not the IC. Like was stated, the CalTrack is a fancy slapper bar. It's only purpose is to try and keep the front segment from flexing.

Monte

I agree Monty, but could you list the sanctioning bodies that allow mopars to use this set up in stock suspension classes? I'm not aware of any, which is why you see no mopars in them.

There is no doubt in my mind that the link system works as advertised, and I wouldn't hesitate to use it if I had a rare/valueable car that I didn't want to back half and still go fast with.

Re: Caltracs Versus Triangulated system from Unlawfuls [Re: StyleElements] #494925
10/14/09 12:07 PM
10/14/09 12:07 PM
Phoenix, Arizona
HerboldRacing Offline
HerboldRacing  Offline

Phoenix, Arizona
Quote:

other than preload, its not adjustable.

Again, not true. You can select one of the two holes to change the IC which affects how hard your tires hit, among other things.

And I noticed you edited your post. You had originally said:

Quote:

Cal-Tracs will make your car squat, which is wasted motion and time not going forward.

Definitely not true. My car does not squat when I launch with my Caltracs.

Now before you get all agitated, let me point out that you are affiliated with UnlawfulRacing and you're biased towards favoring your own products. That is perfectly understandable and just fine. Nothing wrong with that.

And then you've also got to realize that people have to take everything you say with a grain of salt because of that.

Now, an important thing to keep in mind when trying to sell your product, is to not bash anybody else's product. This is because when you say something that someone refutes, you just end up with your foot in your mouth and that is not going to help sales.

Just trying to be helpful and give you constructive criticism. Going back to my corner now.

Marvin Herbold 1973 Plymouth Duster 340 Drag Car Blog - http://www.HerboldRacing.com Videos - http://www.YouTube.com/mherbold Pictures - http://gallery.herbold-family.com/main.php?g2_itemId=10331
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7