Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Open Plea to ALL of you GREAT Contributors to UnLawful [Re: The Nutcracker] #492315
10/09/09 05:44 PM
Eighty Four, PA
B G Racing Offline
master
B G Racing  Offline
master

Eighty Four, PA
I agree that this is an excellent post to develope insight into how some threads run amuck and with and the need for people to be less offensive and more tolarant of each others opinions.I do feel there are a lot of good information still being pass through members on the site.

Re: Open Plea to ALL of you GREAT Contributors to UnLawful [Re: Diego_Ted] #492316
Anoka County, MN
Leigh Offline
master
Happy Birthday Leigh  Offline
master

Anoka County, MN
Sadly, this board morphed into a Mopar version of DRR several years ago. I will say, there is some overt racism here, that should be policed. Ultimately, the "ignore user" is your best friend.

Re: Open Plea to ALL of you GREAT Contributors to UnLawful [Re: CompWedgeEngines] #492317
10/09/09 08:23 PM
10/09/09 08:23 PM
NC
440Jim Offline
I Live Here
440Jim  Offline
I Live Here

NC
Quote:

( typically only posting their -800' DA runs) etc etc

I better check my sig times, ...

OK, I don't currently have my -900 ft DA time of 9.12 in there, I was worried you were talking about me. But I thought the "BEST" time slip was the best time slip?

And I bought my Callies crank and connecting rods from Dan.

1993 Daytona, 5.50 at 130mph (1/8) 1.19 sixty ft (PG). Link to 572 B1 - Part 1
Re: Open Plea to ALL of you GREAT Contributors to UnLawful [Re: 440Jim] #492318
10/09/09 08:43 PM
10/09/09 08:43 PM
Clinton Twp... north of Deetro...
L
Labratt Offline
Good Ol Randy B!
Labratt  Offline
Good Ol Randy B!
L

Clinton Twp... north of Deetro...
Excellent Post!!! I agree 100%!

Re: Open Plea to ALL of you GREAT Contributors to UnLawful [Re: CompWedgeEngines] #492319
10/09/09 09:55 PM
10/09/09 09:55 PM
Az
Crizila Offline
master
Crizila  Offline
master

Az
Quote:

Excellent post Ted. I for one dont post too much anymore for some of these reasons you mention. I can guarantee you I have quite a bit of knowledge in drag racing, but sometimes you get sick of arguing with people that just dont want to listen. I also agree there can be more than one way to achieve a result. It seems to be an almost "automatic" response by many on here to argue, complain, attack, belittle and so forth any comment that they dont agree ( and more often probably dont understand) with. Its the exchange of knowledge that makes a site like this worthwhile. Its a fool who speaks first and listens second I have a saying I use all the time...." Listen to what I am not telling you". You think about that, and it may start to make some sense. Its not the information that everyone blats out, its the information that people DONT speak about that is often important. That is typically where the answers are.

I know many of the builders and shops on here both past and present, as well as many of the racers. Believe me when I tell you, there is a LOT of information that doesnt get posted, as well as a lot of MIS information that doesnt get corrected. The true professionals rarely comment. They are sick of fighting over trivial items. They are also exhausted from talking to members for hours and hours on the phones, hours and hours of typed emails, only to have the person go buy their parts from some "discounter" on Ebay, or some wholesaler who cant even begin to answer their questions due to lack of experience or real world data. Members should keep that in mind when making their purchases. Deal with the folks that help you out, and maybe forget about saving $2.00 on shipping. Just my experience and observations. It happened to me all the time and I too finally gave up. Its a different perspective I guess, that I wish some would consider.

There are a handful of "racers" on here that just like to hear themselves talk about how fast they are, how good they are, how fast they are going to go ( typically only posting their -800' DA runs) etc etc and seem to only be concerned with their own achievements.I realize we can choose to read their comments or not, and I am one that doesnt waste my time anymore reading their internet garbage. They need their own sites to attack each other on. I would prefer that the forum contains real tech information, like I think it was meant to be. To watch these guys argue back and forth about who is going to beat who ( but they never for some reason ever seem to be at the same race...lol) is useless.

You typically notice the racers that are really achieving something rarely post anything. They are busy getting better, racing real races, going rounds etc. I feel bad for the people that truely do come on to try and fix or solve a problem, learn something new and get advice from the seasoned veterans that DO have soething to add.
Typically they get over run and self imposed experts run them off.

There are some very good racers on here with some experience but I think they just dont care to comment, only to end up getting attacked or challenged about everything they say.

Again, I think your post and comments are right on. Good advice for all to consider.

My

"I would perfer the forum contains real tech information,like I think it was ment to be." This forum is by far the "clickiest" on moparts. Many that frequent this forum have for some reason attached linkage to running in the 9's and being a real drag racer and true lover of the sport. Strange. About half the threads contain tech info. The rest - mostly self indulging crap. I frequent this and the "Q&A" forum to gleen what tech info I can and share when I can. Considerable more good tech info on the "Q&A" forum. I would think it should be the other way around, at least for the highly tecnnical issues. Aint so.

Fastest 300
Re: Open Plea to ALL of you GREAT Contributors to UnLawful [Re: Crizila] #492320
10/09/09 10:15 PM
10/09/09 10:15 PM
acworth / N. georgia - south e...
cheapstreetdustr Offline
master
cheapstreetdustr  Offline
master

acworth / N. georgia - south e...
I too agree whole heartedly...
i dont get deep into things as much either,,or as much as i used to...its sort of not worth getting worked up over..
but keeping the deminor in mind when reading a post can help alot..
i agree some guys like to see blood spill..most often its fruitless to the conversation..
i think as long as we all recognise it when it happens...
spirited-ness can be confusing....also.
cheapst

365" Iron J heads,,3480lbs best 1.39 60ft on SS springs.10.54,124 mph ...6.67 1/8th et.average 60fts 1.46 w/ small cam &.063 no2 pill tagged & insured
[image][/image]
Re: Open Plea to ALL of you GREAT Contributors to UnLawful [Re: cheapstreetdustr] #492321
10/09/09 10:37 PM
10/09/09 10:37 PM
sc
T
tjmarcus1 Offline
top fuel
tjmarcus1  Offline
top fuel
T

sc
ted and eric, i agree totally!!!!! but, when i started a thread about " where did all the pros and engine builders go?", IT GOT CANNED pretty quickly without a good explanation! i am a garage owner with more experience than most that are on here, but i know if i post, someone is probably gonna take a shot. i say let's get all those guys back on here and show a little respect.

Post deleted by Defbob [Re: tjmarcus1] #492322
10/09/09 10:59 PM
10/09/09 10:59 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Re: Open Plea to ALL of you GREAT Contributors to UnLawful #492323
10/09/09 11:44 PM
10/09/09 11:44 PM
San Diego, CA
B
brktracr Offline
super street
brktracr  Offline
super street
B

San Diego, CA
Remember that everyone is trying to provide information. What you do with that information is your choice. No need to make a battle out it. My I usually just read the post and do not make comments because I do not want to hear the crap about expressing my opinion. So if we are all tired of nobody responding to posts, just remember that everyone is trying to provide the information that they believe is correct. So no need to start a pissing contest. Once again, this is my opinion and regardless what the rest of the Moparts world thinks, I am entitled to my opinion without anyone's approval. With that I will climb back into my lurking mode. Peace and good luck on the track!!

Durand

1.298 60 ft 6.001 1/8 mile 114 mph 9.52 1/4 mile 140.87 mph @ 3110 lbs
Re: Open Plea to ALL of you GREAT Contributors to UnLawful [Re: brktracr] #492324
10/09/09 11:58 PM
10/09/09 11:58 PM
Melbourne , Australia
LA360 Offline
master
LA360  Offline
master

Melbourne , Australia
I don't think the Forum is as tech based as it was since it's inception. Sadly there seems to be few people that do not like to be disagreed with or take any critism personally. I have often found myself thinking twice about posting, and in many cases haven't bothered. It is still a good place for information, but sadly there has been many very knowledgable people on the Forum that have been abused for sharing their experiences. We're the ones that lose out because of this, which really is disappointing.

I make a point of trying to buy off Moparts vendors when I can, even if it means spending a few dollars extra.
AL...

Alan Jones
Re: Open Plea to ALL of you GREAT Contributors to UnLawful [Re: Diego_Ted] #492325
10/10/09 12:14 AM
10/10/09 12:14 AM
Eastern Shore of Md.
B
BigRay Offline
BigRay  Offline
B

Eastern Shore of Md.
Right on the money Ted.

Re: Open Plea to ALL of you GREAT Contributors to UnLawful [Re: Crizila] #492326
10/10/09 12:17 AM
10/10/09 12:17 AM
Manitoba, Canada
DaytonaTurbo Offline
Too Many Posts
DaytonaTurbo  Offline
Too Many Posts

Manitoba, Canada
Quote:

I would perfer the forum contains real tech information,like I think it was ment to be." This forum is by far the "clickiest" on moparts. Many that frequent this forum have for some reason attached linkage to running in the 9's and being a real drag racer and true lover of the sport. Strange. About half the threads contain tech info. The rest - mostly self indulging crap. I frequent this and the "Q&A" forum to gleen what tech info I can and share when I can. Considerable more good tech info on the "Q&A" forum. I would think it should be the other way around, at least for the highly tecnnical issues. Aint so.

I have to agree with you on this. I don't post much in the race section but I do like to read some of the threads and soak up some of the tech info that is somewhat applicable to my goals. But I do find a lot of bs in here that IMO should be getting shipped out to the general section. But seems as those guys refuse to post in any other section than the race section so it's kind of a viscious circle.

I've been on moparts for quite some time and when the race section was created I always thought it was for hard race tech talk, but instead of kinda morphed into being 1/2 race tech and 1/2 hangout for the race guys - with the accompanying banter and o/t posts and threads. Is that really how it should be? I can't answer that one.

Re: Open Plea to ALL of you GREAT Contributors to UnLawful [Re: LA360] #492327
10/10/09 12:35 AM
10/10/09 12:35 AM
huron,ohio
B
b1headman Offline
mopar
b1headman  Offline
mopar
B

huron,ohio
Ted, I agree with what you said.I have backed off for some of the reasons stated.But also have been busy getting cust. stuff out.As engine builders,I think we all have picked peices of info from each other which has enhanched all of our end products!There is defently more than 1 way to do things and in the end if the cust is happy or the guy looking for info is happy that is all that matters.Dram i also agree on spending alot of time with people to find out they have gone to some one else.As the year ends i will have more time to post and answer tech as i am sure alot of others will too.I thank those that i have learned from and thank those that have learned from us.Regards,Scott

Re: Open Plea to ALL of you GREAT Contributors to UnLawful [Re: b1headman] #492328
10/10/09 12:42 AM
10/10/09 12:42 AM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
I dont know diddly......... so I cant comment

Re: Open Plea to ALL of you GREAT Contributors to UnLawful #492329
10/10/09 01:02 AM
10/10/09 01:02 AM
Florida
408Dust Offline
super stock
408Dust  Offline
super stock

Florida
Quote:

Quote:

I know many of the builders and shops on here both past and present, as well as many of the racers. Believe me when I tell you, there is a LOT of information that doesnt get posted, as well as a lot of MIS information that doesnt get corrected. The true professionals rarely comment. They are sick of fighting over trivial items. They are also exhausted from talking to members for hours and hours on the phones, hours and hours of typed emails, only to have the person go buy their parts from some "discounter" on Ebay, or some wholesaler who cant even begin to answer their questions due to lack of experience or real world data. Members should keep that in mind when making their purchases. Deal with the folks that help you out, and maybe forget about saving $2.00 on shipping. Just my experience and observations. It happened to me all the time and I too finally gave up. Its a different perspective I guess, that I wish some would consider.

i think i fall into this category. there's a lot of misinformation thrown out there on this site, probably for a number of reasons. i used to post on a lot of those threads, but it seems like all it did was cause more problems and waste a lot of time. sometimes people don't know how to "receive", only how to talk. i don't know everything and i'm not afraid to admit it, but with over 30 years of building racing engines, i do know alittle bit.
there's also a lot of great information sharing at times, and i soak up what i can when i have the time to really go through each thread topic.
i spend a great deal of time answering questions and quoting prices via PM and e-mail, yet i would estimate that less than 2% of my business actually comes from Moparts members. as was metioned, too often people just want the information on what to buy so they can find the absolute lowest price on parts or shipping. times are tough for everybody, but i wish some of the folks who call me at 9:00 p.m. for advice would realize i need to make a living too. our prices are very competitive but i've lost sales over less than 5 bucks numerous times. go figure. i guess the 45 minutes i spent on the phone or answering the numerous PM's isn't worth anything, not even a couple of bucks.
finally, we've all seen the number of very knowledgeable people stop posting over the years. i've seen a bunch of them get attacked for simply posting the truth about certain topics. i've been an example of that myself. so what it comes down to is, why bother to set yourself up.
i'd love to see some of those guys come back, but i'm not going to hold my breath.
i know if Gary was still with us, a lot of the garbage that gets posted would get moved out of the race forum very quickly. no need to cite examples, you know what i'm talking about. that stuff is fine for other sites and i wish that's where it would go.
there's plenty more i'd like to say, but in the end all i'd do is upset some folks. i guess there's no need to go down that road.

Always a big help,thanks Dan

Re: Open Plea to ALL of you GREAT Contributors to UnLawful [Re: 408Dust] #492330
10/10/09 06:13 AM
10/10/09 06:13 AM
Tampa Florida
dc426 Offline
gotta keep'm separated
dc426  Offline
gotta keep'm separated

Tampa Florida
There were several very good points made here. It is sad that many reputable people don't post here anymore. I can recall my very first post asking which way to go. 500 tall deck or low deck. That post raised a lot of eyebrows because of the amount of respected engine builders who weighed in on that subject. I'm not so sure it wouldn be the same today.
On the flip side of that I think we need to give kudos to the guys who were mentioned above for sticking it out here and not leaving. That says a lot about them as well. But like me they love this place and always are here. I'm no expert. Never have been and never will be. But as long as I have this place to come to for help and insight I'm in good hands.

Hats off to all that help us!
DC

Re: Open Plea to ALL of you GREAT Contributors to UnLawful [Re: dc426] #492331
10/10/09 06:38 AM
10/10/09 06:38 AM
north of coder
moparx Online content
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Online Content
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
over the years i have come to realize that the older i get the dumber i am. a HUGE THANK YOU to all who have helped me in past questions and i very much look forward to be able to pick your knowledge in the future !

Re: Open Plea to ALL of you GREAT Contributors to UnLawful [Re: moparx] #492332
10/10/09 10:31 AM
10/10/09 10:31 AM
Q
Quicktree Offline
I Win
Quicktree  Offline
I Win
Q

show me 1 thread where a tech question has not been answered? people come people go it's a part of life. I have never seen such a bunch of thin skinned egotistic people in all my life one thing I have seen is the over moderating (beyond the realm of the rules)that drives people away. this is a social forum like it or not. I don't think for 1 minute that any one on here wouldn't help somebody else even if they disagree with them on something petty. there is not a person here that I don't like. as said many times post your opinion and move on. everybody doesn't have to agree with you. if it makes you want to grab your ball and run time for new set of panties.....

Re: Open Plea to ALL of you GREAT Contributors to UnLawful [Re: Quicktree] #492333
10/10/09 10:41 AM
10/10/09 10:41 AM
State of confusion
T
Thumperdart Offline
I Live Here
Thumperdart  Offline
I Live Here
T

State of confusion
I definately had THINNER skin before I got reamed here and learned some good lessons to boot. Being a fighter, if the names/insults fly then so do your hands, elbows and feet but, since we`re behind a keyboard it`s easier to shrug it off and move on. Great lessons that I will never forget or can`t thank some of you enuff for. Oh and Quicktree......That`s a speedo NOT panties that I wear.

72 Dart 470 n/a BB stroker street car `THUMPER`...Check me out on FB Dominic Thumper for videos and lots of carb pics......760-900-3895.....
Re: Open Plea to ALL of you GREAT Contributors to UnLaw #492334
10/10/09 10:49 AM
10/10/09 10:49 AM
BX, CT, FL.
B
B1KILLER Offline
pro stock
B1KILLER  Offline
pro stock
B

BX, CT, FL.
Quote:

I post as much and maybe more info as I do humor. There have ben times when I myself learned a great deal more on a subject by trying to help the other guy.
Much like your local neighborhood tavern this forum has a diversified group of people. Much like the tavern not everyone will agree on a subject . There are times when I can read a post and know by the second reply it's going to get ugly. Some people don't play well with others. there are some that have a very thin skin and take everything personal.

Spoken like a true scholar Stay off the bar stand

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3