T
TechAtBG Offline
TechAtBG  Offline
T

Dahlonega, GA
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Don't know much about Holley's situation but recently I decided to give Barry Grant another chance and it backfired on me.Having used BG's stuff for many years with great success about 6 years ago we had a rash of regulator issues,from missing parts to schrapnal,then came the crap in the carbs,followed buy a match set of flowed carbs for a blower application(nice paper work) but carbs were not even close,not even jetting,followed up by a BG400 that almost cost me my Hemi race car.It's still setting on the shelf as a reminder.At the Mopar Nat's I needed a new pump and bought a BG220 put it on and it peeed all over,got a second 220 to replace it and it did the same.I respect Barry Grant and what he has done for racing and his techonology is second to none but at this point my confidence level is quite low.On a positive note I have used his carbs on quite a few builds with great success after giving them my own"BG Treatment" or "BGR Treatment"Hopefully his product will regain my confidence in future,the man,Barry Grant will always have my respect.

Do you still have the 220 pumps? If so we need to get them corrected for you since it should have been a warranty issue and you can send them in along with a copy of this thread to the attention of the tech department.

How long has it been since you last tried our carbs and had to go into them?

It has been 4 years since I have tried any BG stuff,the 220 were this year about a month ago.My supplier told me to send them to BG for warranty but recalling a warranty issue from 4 years ago I told him he could deal with it since the last warranty job that was done through a BG dealer cost me the same as a new 400 pump would have cost and the didn't fix the pump.It was returned in the same condition that almost cost me my Race car.That's the one one the shelf that is in plain sight to remind me. After being snake bit a few times,I'am very careful.Also I delt with Barry himself on a 1100 CFM dominator years ago that he said would be my ticket on my Hemi.At the time it was $1200 and the agreement was that if it didn't do what he said I would get 100% of my money back.Well,I went for it and loss 2tenths on my car,loaned to another racer with a 500" wedge and he lost over 2tenths,and tried it yet on another wedge with the same results.Needless to say he got his carb and I got my money back.My stock Holly 1250 dominator with my tweaking is a 1/2 second faster that is on the car now.Don't take this as bashing BG at all it's the plain and simple race experience from the real world.As I have said before I have great respect for Barry and his products and techonology and think he is an awsome person to have overcome so much and yet keeps on developing race engineered parts,his quality control and some of his workers need to be as deligent as Barry

You had me right up to the point that you tried to say the repair on a 400 pump cost as much as a new one. I have seen others post this only to have us find out who they were and pull the paperwork to show otherwise. I am sorry you had problems with our products but that statement is simply not true in that a new 400 pump sells for over 400.00 and the most a full rebuild on one costs is 179.00 plus shipping which is less then half of the cost of a new one. Guess that is part of the problems brought on by the internet now though as people can post whatever and others believe everything they read. 4 years ago prob no chance for us to find the paperwork but 400 repairs have always been no more then 1/2 the cost and there has been no price increase in them. A full bottom end rebuild is 125.00 and if it needs a motor it is another 54.00 which is where the 179.00 figure comes in.Who was the supplier on the 220's? You can pm me if you dont wish to post it.

Technical Support Barry Grant, Inc. www.barrygrant.com
Re: Holley Files bankrupt again [Re: TechAtBG] #482876
10/02/09 10:37 AM
10/02/09 10:37 AM
Eighty Four, PA
B G Racing Offline
master
B G Racing  Offline
master

Eighty Four, PA
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Don't know much about Holley's situation but recently I decided to give Barry Grant another chance and it backfired on me.Having used BG's stuff for many years with great success about 6 years ago we had a rash of regulator issues,from missing parts to schrapnal,then came the crap in the carbs,followed buy a match set of flowed carbs for a blower application(nice paper work) but carbs were not even close,not even jetting,followed up by a BG400 that almost cost me my Hemi race car.It's still setting on the shelf as a reminder.At the Mopar Nat's I needed a new pump and bought a BG220 put it on and it peeed all over,got a second 220 to replace it and it did the same.I respect Barry Grant and what he has done for racing and his techonology is second to none but at this point my confidence level is quite low.On a positive note I have used his carbs on quite a few builds with great success after giving them my own"BG Treatment" or "BGR Treatment"Hopefully his product will regain my confidence in future,the man,Barry Grant will always have my respect.

Do you still have the 220 pumps? If so we need to get them corrected for you since it should have been a warranty issue and you can send them in along with a copy of this thread to the attention of the tech department.

It has been 4 years since I have tried any BG stuff,the 220 were this year about a month ago.My supplier told me to send them to BG for warranty but recalling a warranty issue from 4 years ago I told him he could deal with it since the last warranty job that was done through a BG dealer cost me the same as a new 400 pump would have cost and the didn't fix the pump.It was returned in the same condition that almost cost me my Race car.That's the one one the shelf that is in plain sight to remind me. After being snake bit a few times,I'am very careful.Also I delt with Barry himself on a 1100 CFM dominator years ago that he said would be my ticket on my Hemi.At the time it was $1200 and the agreement was that if it didn't do what he said I would get 100% of my money back.Well,I went for it and loss 2tenths on my car,loaned to another racer with a 500" wedge and he lost over 2tenths,and tried it yet on another wedge with the same results.Needless to say he got his carb and I got my money back.My stock Holly 1250 dominator with my tweaking is a 1/2 second faster that is on the car now.Don't take this as bashing BG at all it's the plain and simple race experience from the real world.As I have said before I have great respect for Barry and his products and techonology and think he is an awsome person to have overcome so much and yet keeps on developing race engineered parts,his quality control and some of his workers need to be as deligent as Barry

You had me right up to the point that you tried to say the repair on a 400 pump cost as much as a new one. I have seen others post this only to have us find out who they were and pull the paperwork to show otherwise. I am sorry you had problems with our products but that statement is simply not true in that a new 400 pump sells for over 400.00 and the most a full rebuild on one costs is 179.00 plus shipping which is less then half of the cost of a new one. Guess that is part of the problems brought on by the internet now though as people can post whatever and others believe everything they read. 4 years ago prob no chance for us to find the paperwork but 400 repairs have always been no more then 1/2 the cost and there has been no price increase in them. A full bottom end rebuild is 125.00 and if it needs a motor it is another 54.00 which is where the 179.00 figure comes in.Who was the supplier on the 220's? You can pm me if you dont wish to post it.

Well now you show your true colors by insinuating that I lied about the cost of repair your dealer charge me.Would you like me to post the the $378 bill.We at BGR keep good business records also.You "had me" thinking why not mend a broken fence right up until your last post.You just told me why not to. Thanks,Bob George@BGR

Re: Holley Files bankrupt again [Re: B G Racing] #482877
10/02/09 11:43 AM
10/02/09 11:43 AM
Dahlonega, GA
T
TechAtBG Offline
TechAtBG  Offline
T

Dahlonega, GA
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Well now you show your true colors by insinuating that I lied about the cost of repair your dealer charge me.Would you like me to post the the $378 bill.We at BGR keep good business records also.You "had me" thinking why not mend a broken fence right up until your last post.You just told me why not to. Thanks,Bob [Email]George@BGR[/Email]

No true colors at all as I am always transparent wherever I post. You have stated you were charged the cost of a new pump for repairs and I have posted what the maximum charges are which are less then half so if somebody else charged you 378. then you have an issue with them and not us. I have researched the name you gave me on the 400 repair and I do not show them as a dealer nor have any history on them . I asked for a date when this occured to which I did not get an answer but will be glad to continue to investigate this on our end. As I stated in the pm if this guy was charged anything more then the 179.00 and shipping for the repair of your pump I will be more then glad to post our findings and an apology as well as trying to make it right.

Re: Holley Files bankrupt again [Re: TechAtBG] #482878
10/02/09 12:06 PM
10/02/09 12:06 PM
land of 10,000______'s
B
BDS871Cuda Offline
top fuel
BDS871Cuda  Offline
top fuel
B

land of 10,000______'s
In the end the term bankrupt means somebody made
a bad choice. Now, somebody is going to get
screwed in the end plain and simple. No need to
sugar coat it. The big guy wins, the little guy
gets squashed.

As for Barry Grant INC. The need way better QC!
I've had 4 carbs and so far they have all worked
great. Some after I did a little fix'n on them.
Small parts missing here and there. I do like the
new Speed Demon 750 v.e. with annular boosters.
Way more mid range than the old carb.
On the street, thats what you want.

Snap your neck, mega G-force launch, is all I want!
Re: Holley Files bankrupt again [Re: BDS871Cuda] #482879
10/02/09 12:16 PM
10/02/09 12:16 PM
Dahlonega, GA
T
TechAtBG Offline
TechAtBG  Offline
T

Dahlonega, GA
Quote:

In the end the term bankrupt means somebody made
a bad choice. Now, somebody is going to get
screwed in the end plain and simple. No need to
sugar coat it. The big guy wins, the little guy
gets squashed.

As for Barry Grant INC. The need way better QC!
I've had 4 carbs and so far they have all worked
great. Some after I did a little fix'n on them.
Small parts missing here and there. I do like the
new Speed Demon 750 v.e. with annular boosters.
Way more mid range than the old carb.
On the street, thats what you want.

If you'll pm me some info on when they were purchased and what was missing I will pass it along to the department managers. Also if they had any stampings or paint mark would be helpful. If you get another one with an issue send me a pm so I can get some info from you and address it with those involved as well as getting you whatever is missing.

Re: Holley Files bankrupt again [Re: slantzilla] #482880
10/02/09 12:26 PM
10/02/09 12:26 PM
Not2farfromNashville, TN
R
Rug_Trucker Offline
I Live Here
Rug_Trucker  Offline
I Live Here
R

Not2farfromNashville, TN
Quote:

Quote:

I guess well all be using BG stuff soon!

I'll part my car out before I will ever put anything from Barry Grant on it.

I've got the THERMOQUAD you requested all tweaked and shipped!

Don't thank me.

"The only thing to do for triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

"NUNQUAM NON PARATUS!"
Re: Holley Files bankrupt again [Re: Rug_Trucker] #482881
10/02/09 05:14 PM
10/02/09 05:14 PM
Park Forest, IL
slantzilla Offline
Too Many Posts
slantzilla  Offline
Too Many Posts

Park Forest, IL
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I guess well all be using BG stuff soon!

I'll part my car out before I will ever put anything from Barry Grant on it.

Don't thank me.

I won't. Tquad is the one carb I consider a bigger piece of crap than a Barry Grant.

But they look good on you.

"Everybody funny, now you funny too."
Re: Holley Files bankrupt again [Re: slantzilla] #482882
10/02/09 05:39 PM
10/02/09 05:39 PM
Not2farfromNashville, TN
R
Rug_Trucker Offline
I Live Here
Rug_Trucker  Offline
I Live Here
R

Not2farfromNashville, TN
Quote:

Don't thank me.

I won't. Tquad is the one carb I consider a bigger piece of crap than a Barry Grant.

But they look good on you.

"The only thing to do for triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

"NUNQUAM NON PARATUS!"
Re: Holley Files bankrupt again [Re: TechAtBG] #482883
10/03/09 01:11 AM
10/03/09 01:11 AM
land of 10,000______'s
B
BDS871Cuda Offline
top fuel
BDS871Cuda  Offline
top fuel
B

land of 10,000______'s

If you'll pm me some info on when they were purchased and what was missing I will pass it along to the department managers. Also if they had any stampings or paint mark would be helpful. If you get another one with an issue send me a pm so I can get some info from you and address it with those involved as well as getting you whatever is missing.

I called the tech line a BG just two weeks ago.
It was a missing a C clip and a little V.S. stuff.
I was going to fix it myself but the tech said to
ship it back. I wasn't going to pay back shipping
on a new carb out of the box. So I sent it back to
Jegs. Now I have a another new one. So far so good.

The other carb was the 825 Race Demon. I thought
it was a bad front bowl, and the tech says send it back. Again I prefer to fix it myself rather
that pay shipping both ways and buy extra parts I
don't need. Come to find out it's a odd sized
pin holding the float in. Over time it would not stay in the slot. I go to the local parts store
and get a pin as close to the size as what should
be in there. With a little cutting down and fine
sanding it to fit, now the float works great.

I still think 9 out of 10 items purchased today are junk or bad Q.C. and will not last 2 years.

Example: My Sony DVR player is just shy of 2
years old and the P.O.S. is junk already.
It will cost more to fix than to get a new one.

I can get out the old Kodak Brownie 300 film
projector, and toss on the old 8 MM film and
for a machine that's over 50 years old, it runs
just as good as when it was new.

I like my new Speed Demon 750 V.E. annular booster
carb. Again the midrange is great.

Make a good product and you will make good money.

Snap your neck, mega G-force launch, is all I want!
Re: Holley Files bankrupt again [Re: B G Racing] #482884
10/03/09 06:13 AM
10/03/09 06:13 AM
Eighty Four, PA
B G Racing Offline
master
B G Racing  Offline
master

Eighty Four, PA
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Well now you show your true colors by insinuating that I lied about the cost of repair your dealer charge me.Would you like me to post the the $378 bill.We at BGR keep good business records also.You "had me" thinking why not mend a broken fence right up until your last post.You just told me why not to. Thanks,Bob [Email]George@BGR[/Email]

Adam,Thanks for taking the time to speak with me directly yesterday.After our lengthy discussion and exchange of issues and concerns I feel that after providing you with details you understand my concerns and I can see that some of the issues could have resulted from 3rd partys and not BG directly.I'am sure that not everyone is going to be happy and you will continue to try and support your company.It was great talking with you and sharing information and knowledge.I will be sending you the 400 for your assesment and repair.Barry should appreciate your efforts and your balls for jumping into the frey on sites with open forums to defend and try to retify issues both real and imagined.Good luck and thanks again for taking the time to discuss my issues and concerns. As always,conversation between two people is an exchange of ideas and knowledge,argument is an exchange of ignorance.

Re: Holley Files bankrupt again [Re: B G Racing] #482885
10/03/09 10:58 AM
10/03/09 10:58 AM
Columbia, CT
M
moper Offline
I Live Here
moper  Offline
I Live Here
M

Columbia, CT
Tech, Sorry I was away from this post for a while. As I recall it was predominently silver, and is size from something like .015 accross to graphite looking film. I would accept off colr because it means little. But when there's gunk bigger than a fuel filter will catch, that to me spells trouble with small air bleeds and passages to get thru.

Out of curiousity... What excatly is the wet flow testing process? What fluid is run? Why would there be any solids in it? What determines what passes and what doesnt? It seems with the repeated processes to find issues you guys should have warehouses full of product to fix BEFORE shipping. Or is this a 5% testing type situation where not every part is tested?

Well, art is art, isn't it? Still, on the other hand, water is water! And east is east and west is west and if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like prunes than rhubarb does. Now, uh... Now you tell me what you know.
Re: Holley Files bankrupt again [Re: moper] #482886
10/03/09 11:33 AM
10/03/09 11:33 AM
Someplace you aren't
S
SomeCarGuy Offline
I Live Here
SomeCarGuy  Offline
I Live Here
S

Someplace you aren't
Did we...did we...just...witness...some customer service???????????????

Instead of dis-service?

Re: Holley Files bankrupt again [Re: SomeCarGuy] #482887
10/03/09 11:41 AM
10/03/09 11:41 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Instead of dis-service?

yes, i think we did, along with a bit of "bashing" from some that complain about others that "bash"
so i guess we witnessed hypocrisy too.

Re: Holley Files bankrupt again #482888
10/03/09 12:29 PM
10/03/09 12:29 PM
sweden
1Fast340 Offline
master
1Fast340  Offline
master

sweden
Quote:

Quote:

Instead of dis-service?

yes, i think we did, along with a bit of "bashing" from some that complain about others that "bash"
so i guess we witnessed hypocrisy too.

and also some stuff gone oftopic like always

Re: Holley Files bankrupt again [Re: 1Fast340] #482889
10/03/09 12:48 PM
10/03/09 12:48 PM
Q
Quicktree Offline
I Win
Quicktree  Offline
I Win
Q

bashing is Ok as long as you don't make money off the people you bash

Re: Holley Files bankrupt again [Re: BDS871Cuda] #482890
10/05/09 10:51 AM
10/05/09 10:51 AM
Dahlonega, GA
T
TechAtBG Offline
TechAtBG  Offline
T

Dahlonega, GA
Quote:

it was a bad front bowl, and the tech says send it back. Again I prefer to fix it myself rather
pin holding the float in. Over time it would not stay in the slot. I go to the local parts store

I still think 9 out of 10 items purchased today are junk or bad Q.C. and will not last 2 years.

Typically when there is more then 1 part missing or a major component with issues the guys have been trained to get the carb back here just to make sure there is nothing else wrong with it and also to have it ran across the flow bench again for safety sake. We do pay the shipping back but like everybody elses warranty policy the customer pays it in. Should you have an issue down the road with another one let my know and I'll see what I can do.

Re: Holley Files bankrupt again [Re: B G Racing] #482891
10/05/09 11:01 AM
10/05/09 11:01 AM
Dahlonega, GA
T
TechAtBG Offline
TechAtBG  Offline
T

Dahlonega, GA
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Adam,Thanks for taking the time to speak with me directly yesterday.After our lengthy discussion and exchange of issues and concerns I feel that after providing you with details you understand my concerns and I can see that some of the issues could have resulted from 3rd partys and not BG directly.I'am sure that not everyone is going to be happy and you will continue to try and support your company.It was great talking with you and sharing information and knowledge.I will be sending you the 400 for your assesment and repair.Barry should appreciate your efforts and your balls for jumping into the frey on sites with open forums to defend and try to retify issues both real and imagined.Good luck and thanks again for taking the time to discuss my issues and concerns. As always,conversation between two people is an exchange of ideas and knowledge,argument is an exchange of ignorance.

Same here and nice talking with you as well. Sounds like you guys have some really neat stuff and glad we were able to figure out what happened with most of the issues.We'll see what's going on with the 400 and get it back to original condition.

Thanks for the compliments and you're right, we will not always make everyone happy but will continue to try and at least we are on the boards where most of the others are not. Will get back in touch once I get your pump in my hands and take it apart.

Re: Holley Files bankrupt again [Re: moper] #482892
10/05/09 11:09 AM
10/05/09 11:09 AM
Dahlonega, GA
T
TechAtBG Offline
TechAtBG  Offline
T

Dahlonega, GA
Quote:

Tech, Sorry I was away from this post for a while. As I recall it was predominently silver, and is size from something like .015 accross to graphite looking film. I would accept off colr because it means little. But when there's gunk bigger than a fuel filter will catch, that to me spells trouble with small air bleeds and passages to get thru.

Out of curiousity... What excatly is the wet flow testing process? What fluid is run? Why would there be any solids in it? What determines what passes and what doesnt? It seems with the repeated processes to find issues you guys should have warehouses full of product to fix BEFORE shipping. Or is this a 5% testing type situation where not every part is tested?

The fluid has the same properties as fuel but it not flammable and every carburetor is ran through the process at least once. Idle fuel percentages and wot percentages are checked as well as setting float levels,mixture screws , initial butterfly settings and checking for leaks. If an issue is found it is then sent back ,corrected and then re-flowed before leaving.

In regards to the rate with issues we actually have less then 1% of warranty returns which is good for this kind of industry. I think part of the problem you hear about us more then our competitors is the fact we are on the boards trying to help out whereas the other are not. I can search though and find lots of threads about rporblems with their products but since they are not posting you don't get the "pile on " effect.
Even with less then 1% you still have the human factor involved which is why we constantly monitor what is going on as well as implementind new qc procedures.

In the carburetors I have had apart I have not seen the silver that you talk about but have seen a little of the gold as mentioned. There should not be any solids in it but back a couple of years ago when we had the shavings issues we did see some of this from the filters getting clogged on the bench and bypassing them. We have not seen that though since making the changes but will keep an eye out for it.

Re: Holley Files bankrupt again [Re: TechAtBG] #482893
10/05/09 11:21 AM
10/05/09 11:21 AM
Q
Quicktree Offline
I Win
Quicktree  Offline
I Win
Q

Quote:

Quote:

Typically when there is more then 1 part missing or a major component with issues the guys have been trained to get the carb back here just to make sure there is nothing else wrong with it and also to have it ran across the flow bench again for safety sake. We do pay the shipping back but like everybody elses warranty policy the customer pays it in. Should you have an issue down the road with another one let my know and I'll see what I can do.

then shouldn't you send a pick up lable at your cost and return it at your cost?

I have owned a few BG carbs and one thing I have seen is the metal in the main bofy is extremely soft and the threads can be stripped very easy.

Re: Holley Files bankrupt again [Re: Quicktree] #482894
10/05/09 04:18 PM
10/05/09 04:18 PM
Dahlonega, GA
T
TechAtBG Offline
TechAtBG  Offline
T

Dahlonega, GA
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

then shouldn't you send a pick up lable at your cost and return it at your cost?

I have owned a few BG carbs and one thing I have seen is the metal in the main bofy is extremely soft and the threads can be stripped very easy.

Our warranty is no different then that of our competitors in that theirs all state the item must be returned with the shipping prepaid. This is also the norm in many other industires as well and some companies even make you jump through hoops just to send something back to look at period.

In regards to the metal in the main bodies we have always used quality U.S. zinc even when some of the others went to China for theirs. I think part of it has to do with the fact we use an allen head as opposed to a slotted screwdriver and you can apply more force but quite awhile back we did change over and start putting heli-coils in the main bodies to help eliminate this happening.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4