Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 24 1 2 3 4 23 24
Re: American Muscle Car Revolution Resto Job as Promised. [Re: autoxcuda] #481194
09/27/09 06:02 PM
09/27/09 06:02 PM
Roswell, GA - near Atlanta
cloneguy Offline OP
super street
cloneguy  Offline OP
super street

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

... All suspension detailing will be done per factory specs and all OEM inspection markings, etc..

Do you have pics of the factory underside inspection marks you found that were left on this very clean original car??

Um, I don't think I said that it was very clean but I'm pretty sure I did say that it was covered with extremely thick undercoating.

Sorry, in underside I meant front and rear suspension, rear springs, center section...

They covered everything with the undercoating and I mean everything. I'll bet they had to clean the tires off before the car would roll again when they were done. The first guy who did an oil change afterwards must have needed a chisel. So, no.

Martin, GA Quality Auto Restoration with Fair FIXED Pricing. Fast-N-Dangerous@comcast.net
Re: American Muscle Car Revolution Resto Job as Promised. [Re: cloneguy] #481195
09/27/09 10:31 PM
09/27/09 10:31 PM
NY
70440+6bbl Offline
master
70440+6bbl  Offline
master

NY
Did the guy buy this Cuda out of NC?

'70 Super Bee 440 6 pack 4-spd 4.10 Dana N96 EB5
‘70 Super Bee 440 6 pack 4-spd 3.54 Dana FC7
‘70 ‘Cuda 440+6bbl 4-spd 3.54 Dana N96 EB5 V1W

Re: American Muscle Car Revolution Resto Job as Promised. [Re: cloneguy] #481196
09/27/09 11:07 PM
09/27/09 11:07 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio
Challenger 1 Offline
Too Many Posts
Challenger 1  Offline
Too Many Posts

Cincinnati, Ohio
Looks good... should of used a steam pressure washer and been done with under coating removal in one day and had better results. You would have been able to see the factory finish and markings.

Re: American Muscle Car Revolution Resto Job as Promised. [Re: Challenger 1] #481197
09/28/09 03:17 AM
09/28/09 03:17 AM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

Looks good... should of used a steam pressure washer and been done with under coating removal in one day and had better results. You would have been able to see the factory finish and markings.

Yes and I would think the massive undercoating would actually preserve the finish and paint markings even better.

Re: American Muscle Car Revolution Resto Job as Promised. [Re: cloneguy] #481198
09/28/09 05:57 AM
09/28/09 05:57 AM
Georgetown Ontario Canada
anlauto Offline
I Live Here
anlauto  Offline
I Live Here

I notice he's priming right over small items such as the rear axle rebound bumpers. Do small items generally just get left on and painted over? I'm certain they will get removed and detailed, but wouldn't it make sense to remove them before priming? Just curious.

CHECK OUT MY NEW WEB SITE !
Re: American Muscle Car Revolution Resto Job as Promised. [Re: anlauto] #481199
09/28/09 10:10 AM
09/28/09 10:10 AM
Q
quick77rt Offline
Parts Problem
quick77rt  Offline
Parts Problem
Q

I guess I will post what others seem to be thinking but not saying on this post and pictures.

Your work looks to fall in line with what alot of do in there own small shops on there own cars.

Your 25k resto price seems to fall in line with driver quality resto work which most can do at home.

Re: American Muscle Car Revolution Resto Job as Promised. [Re: autoxcuda] #481200
09/28/09 10:23 AM
09/28/09 10:23 AM
cloneguy Offline OP
super street
cloneguy  Offline OP
super street

Quote:

Quote:

Yes and I would think the massive undercoating would actually preserve the finish and paint markings even better.

Maybe ours doesn't have enough pressure but it wouldn't budge the undercoating.

Martin, GA Quality Auto Restoration with Fair FIXED Pricing. Fast-N-Dangerous@comcast.net
Re: American Muscle Car Revolution Resto Job as Promised. [Re: anlauto] #481201
09/28/09 10:25 AM
09/28/09 10:25 AM
cloneguy Offline OP
super street
cloneguy  Offline OP
super street

Quote:

I notice he's priming right over small items such as the rear axle rebound bumpers. Do small items generally just get left on and painted over? I'm certain they will get removed and detailed, but wouldn't it make sense to remove them before priming? Just curious.

This coat is just a quick sealer over the bare metal. The rebound bumpers are being replaced and everything will be ultimately coated in something a little tougher than etching primer. There are also a few dents and scrapes that still have to be attended to.

But truthfully, yes.

Re: American Muscle Car Revolution Resto Job as Promised. [Re: quick77rt ] #481202
09/28/09 10:37 AM
09/28/09 10:37 AM
cloneguy Offline OP
super street
cloneguy  Offline OP
super street

Quote:

I guess I will post what others seem to be thinking but not saying on this post and pictures.

Your work looks to fall in line with what alot of do in there own small shops on there own cars.

Your 25k resto price seems to fall in line with driver quality resto work which most can do at home.

Don't you think it might be a little early to make that observation?

Certainly anyone can tear down a car and strip paint and undercoating at home in their own garage. There's no question about that.

Can "most" anyone heat shrink 51 dents so they don't need any filler, etc? I know that I can't but I know my partner can and did. I think "a few" is more accurate.

We never said we are the only ones who can restore a car. We do as good a job as any and usually it's a much better price. Have I not been clear about that?

There are clearly two debates going on here at Moparts. There's the one side that says we can't do a quality job for $25k and the other side that says anyone can do it for less. I guess both sides are going to be upset no matter what.

Re: American Muscle Car Revolution Resto Job as Promised. [Re: quick77rt ] #481203
09/28/09 10:43 AM
09/28/09 10:43 AM
anlauto Offline
I Live Here
anlauto  Offline
I Live Here

Quote:

I agree with this statement and I see nothing wrong with AMCR going after the people who don't have the means to DYI at home. With their $25K max I don't think people should expect a OE Gold winner....but maybe as you said, a nice clean driver.

Heck if three guys have already put 4 weeks into this 70 Cuda that adds up to 480hrs of labour and they're still not finished.

I'm certain the end product will be nice and speak for itself....We all need to just wait before we judge!

P.S. You should remove the rebound bumpers and get some primer/sealer under where the new ones will go.

CHECK OUT MY NEW WEB SITE !
Re: American Muscle Car Revolution Resto Job as Promised. [Re: cloneguy] #481204
09/28/09 11:26 AM
09/28/09 11:26 AM
Cincinnati, Ohio
Challenger 1 Offline
Too Many Posts
Challenger 1  Offline
Too Many Posts

Cincinnati, Ohio
Checkout my 74 challenger project. Pay special attention to my posting dates and hours posted.

Yes the car is not done and no I didn't run into any problems making the panels fit. I just got onto other projects and took a break from this car. It's on my mind almost everyday, but have remodeled my whole house in the past year.

If your gonna try to duplicate the factory finishes then steam pressure washing is the best way to remove the dirt, road tar and ALL undercoating in a fraction of the the time it takes for any other methods and does a superior job. I have less than 150 hours into this car at this point and all work was done by me with no help at all.
web page

Last edited by Challenger 1; 09/28/09 01:36 PM.
Re: American Muscle Car Revolution Resto Job as Promised. [Re: cloneguy] #481205
09/28/09 12:05 PM
09/28/09 12:05 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio
Challenger 1 Offline
Too Many Posts
Challenger 1  Offline
Too Many Posts

Cincinnati, Ohio
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Maybe ours doesn't have enough pressure but it wouldn't budge the undercoating.

It's not pressure that does the job, it's water volume and temp. Steam is right about 210 degrees and some gasoline to soften up the undercoating. Gas not anything else. Here's the machine I use. 4+ gpm about 1500 psi and will turn the water to steam.

How can you do a factory oe refinish/rebuild for 25K?

Last edited by Challenger 1; 09/28/09 01:23 PM.
Re: American Muscle Car Revolution Resto Job as Promised. [Re: Challenger 1] #481206
09/28/09 01:59 PM
09/28/09 01:59 PM
340dart4spd Offline
Parts Problem
340dart4spd  Offline
Parts Problem

Quote:

Checkout my 74 challenger project. Pay special attention to my posting dates and hours posted.

Yes the car is not done and no I didn't run into any problems making the panels fit. I just got onto other projects and took a break from this car. It's on my mind almost everyday, but have remodeled my whole house in the past year.

If your gonna try to duplicate the factory finishes then steam pressure washing is the best way to remove the dirt, road tar and ALL undercoating in a fraction of the the time it takes for any other methods and does a superior job. I have less than 150 hours into this car at this point and all work was done by me with no help at all.
web page

Great job... Looks like they had a sale on Panel clamps "Vise Grips"

5510849-MVC-902S.jpg (241 downloads)
Re: American Muscle Car Revolution Resto Job as Promised. [Re: 340dart4spd ] #481207
09/28/09 02:32 PM
09/28/09 02:32 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio
Challenger 1 Offline
Too Many Posts
Challenger 1  Offline
Too Many Posts

Cincinnati, Ohio
Quote:

Quote:

web page

Great job... Looks like they had a sale on Panel clamps "Vise Grips"

Thanks, I wish they were on sale.

Re: American Muscle Car Revolution Resto Job as Promised. [Re: anlauto] #481208
09/28/09 05:41 PM
09/28/09 05:41 PM
cloneguy Offline OP
super street
cloneguy  Offline OP
super street

Quote:

Quote:

I agree with this statement and I see nothing wrong with AMCR going after the people who don't have the means to DYI at home. With their $25K max I don't think people should expect a OE Gold winner....but maybe as you said, a nice clean driver.

Heck if three guys have already put 4 weeks into this 70 Cuda that adds up to 480hrs of labour and they're still not finished.

I'm certain the end product will be nice and speak for itself....We all need to just wait before we judge!

P.S. You should remove the rebound bumpers and get some primer/sealer under where the new ones will go.

Sorry guys, I didn't know that every word I mistyped would be critiqued. I should have known but I didn't.

It's been 4 weeks elapsed time. There is 160 man hours on the car in these photos with the body work done and there is no expectation of it being an OE Gold winner. It will be a great rotisserie resto at a great price. It's going to be well less than our max price as indicated above.

FYI, the rebound bumpers have already been removed, cleaned underneath and primered.

I don't see how any machine could be powerful enough, hot enough or whatever enough to remove 1/2 inch thick undercoating but somehow not remove inspection markings.

I see at one of the posts above, they recommend softening the undercoating with gasoline. Our regs are pretty minimal here in GA but using gasoline as a chemical solvent is one thing that we can't do. We don't screw around with the EPA here. The guy we bought the shop from had such heavy EPA fines that the government got all of the money from the sale.

Re: American Muscle Car Revolution Resto Job as Promised. [Re: 340dart4spd ] #481209
09/28/09 06:18 PM
09/28/09 06:18 PM
Houston Texas
PAINT IT BLACK Offline
Got a CHIP on my shoulder
PAINT IT BLACK  Offline
Got a CHIP on my shoulder

Houston Texas
This tear down of my car (less engine/trans), strip, panel fitment/reworking, minor lower patch, repaint, and reassembly, cost me about $10K and it is a work of art. NO shortcuts. Beautiful black paint job with AAR black out treatment.

I am sure if the car needed quarters and a trunk, it would have added a couple grand. But $25k for a top shelf rotisserie job on a moderately rusty/dinged/heavily undercoated/whatever car seems pretty doable without parts.

Am I missing something? Was the claim made that the entire resto would cost $25K including parts??? If so, I will join in with skepticism.

5511365-100_0151.JPG (377 downloads)
Re: American Muscle Car Revolution Resto Job as Promised. [Re: PAINT IT BLACK] #481210
09/28/09 06:27 PM
09/28/09 06:27 PM
cloneguy Offline OP
super street
cloneguy  Offline OP
super street

Quote:

This tear down of my car (less engine/trans), strip, panel fitment/reworking, minor lower patch, repaint, and reassembly, cost me about $10K and it is a work of art. NO shortcuts. Beautiful black paint job with AAR black out treatment.

I am sure if the car needed quarters and a trunk, it would have added a couple grand. But $25k for a top shelf rotisserie job on a rusty car seems pretty doable without parts.

Am I missing something? Was the claim made that the entire resto would cost $25K including parts??? If so, I will join in with skepticism.

We'll take yours as a vote of support.

We are a shop that advertises a $25k Max labor cost on a complete rotisserie restoration.

There are three schools of thought on Moparts.

1) The individuals, who do their own work say it is too expensive.

2) The shop owners, who do rotisserie restos for a living say that a good job can't be done that inexpensively.

3) Our customers, who love our work and are glad we are doing it.

Re: American Muscle Car Revolution Resto Job as Promised. [Re: cloneguy] #481211
09/28/09 06:52 PM
09/28/09 06:52 PM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
Tim,.....what do I get for the $25K, basically, body in paint?, roller?, driveline?, what exactly?

Thanks
Mike

Re: American Muscle Car Revolution Resto Job as Promised. [Re: cloneguy] #481212
09/28/09 07:39 PM
09/28/09 07:39 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio
Challenger 1 Offline
Too Many Posts
Challenger 1  Offline
Too Many Posts

Cincinnati, Ohio
Quote:

I don't see how any machine could be powerful enough, hot enough or whatever enough to remove 1/2 inch thick undercoating but somehow not remove inspection markings.

I would love to show you someday.

Re: American Muscle Car Revolution Resto Job as Promised. [Re: DAYCLONA] #481213
09/28/09 07:42 PM
09/28/09 07:42 PM
cloneguy Offline OP
super street
cloneguy  Offline OP
super street

Quote:

Tim,.....what do I get for the $25K, basically, body in paint?, roller?, driveline?, what exactly?

Thanks
Mike

Thanks for asking Mike. We have a whole thread dedicated to that subject in the Hot Deals section of Moparts.

In short, we will do a complete rotisserie restoration for you from start to finish and $25k is the maximum amount of labor that you will pay. (That's tear-down, rust repair, body, paint, mechanical rebuild, re-assembly through test drive and tuning.)

You'll pay for all parts and materials AND the following items that we have to sub out:

Transmission work, machine work on engine, plating, rear end chunk rebuilding, tire mounting, balancing and a front end alignment when finished.

There are extra charges only if there is either extensive undercoating to be removed and/or framerail rot. Everything else labor-wise is included in the $25k max labor cost.

If you want us to assemble the car using date coded NOS parts, junk yard parts or reproduction parts, that is up to you. We don't charge to help you find parts as long as you pay for them. And we'll do the research and refinish any painted surface properly. Parts that tend to tarnish or rust will be clear coated if the owner desires.

We get discounts from AMD, Goodmark, Sherman, Legendary and more and we pass discounts on to our customers.

If your car doesn't need everything, then your restoration will cost less, like the one in this thread.

If you have a rusty hemi car that you found in a junk yard, (as I like to do) - you can plan on spending the full $25k on labor, buying all of the parts and materials plus the things we sub out above and you'll be able to drive the car home when we are done.

I'll be happy to answer any and all questions in as much detail as possible if I've missed anything.

Thanks again,

Tim

Page 2 of 24 1 2 3 4 23 24