09/26/09 05:44 PM
09/26/09 05:44 PM
Saint Louis, MO
J
jjschm Offline OP
jjschm  Offline OP
J

Saint Louis, MO
My 67 Belvedere convertible has a series of intersting patches under the carpet from old stainless, plastic, and other scrap metal riveted over the floorboard holes. Basically, the floor is rotted in the typical spots under foot. My question is do I patch the four areas under foot, or go with the whole floor replacements AMD is making? It's not a show car, but I need a better fix than how I got it.

I'm guessing many of you have tried both ways and may be able to steer me in the right direction.

Thanks,
Jon

Re: Whole floor or patch? [Re: jjschm] #480280
09/26/09 05:52 PM
09/26/09 05:52 PM
dark side of the moon
D
Dougsmopars Offline
top fuel
Dougsmopars  Offline
top fuel
D

dark side of the moon
The new floor pans are the way to go. Patches are only that , patches. It will come back. Only way to fix rot is replace. Show car or driver. If your going to keep this car for a while don't cheat it will only come back to bite you.

Re: Whole floor or patch? [Re: jjschm] #480281
09/26/09 09:17 PM
09/26/09 09:17 PM
Ontario, Canada
S
Stanton Offline
Don't question me!
Stanton  Offline
Don't question me!
S

Ontario, Canada
A floor pan replacement is a big chore. Finding and drilling out all the original spot welds is no easy task, especially the ones where the pan meets the firewall. The ones along the sill are a [Edited by Moparts - Family Friendly Site - Keep it clean] to. Are you planning one side only or the whole pan?

I'm in the same dilemma. I had a mint floor section from a wreck and spent HOURS drilling out all the welds I could find. This was in broad daylight with the section up on a stand! I'm by no means an impatient person but when it came to the sills that's when I gave up. I took a zip wheel and cut the pan where I'll be comfortable welding it in. Done patiently and properly its as good as any full pan replacement and a lot less work.

On a 1 of ? Hemi something-or-other full resto I'd do the pan. On the average car, go with the patch. You can buy the patch you need for a lot less than the whole pan too!

Re: Whole floor or patch? [Re: jjschm] #480282
09/26/09 09:49 PM
09/26/09 09:49 PM
Tampa , Fl
MoparJoe Offline
super gas
MoparJoe  Offline
super gas

Tampa , Fl
I would do the whole floor, should be easy since it's a convertible, just remember to brace up the body before cutting so it doesn't fold in half.

It's time consuming but worth it if you're keeping the car long term, when I did the floor in my Dart I took out most of it using a 4" grinder with a cutoff wheel and used an air chisel to scrape the sheetmetal off the rails then it's just a matter of fitting the new floor, cleaning out and painting inside the rails, drilling about 1,000 holes in the new pan for plug welds and buzzing it in, it's also a good time to add subframe connectors if you don't already have them.

Re: Whole floor or patch? [Re: MoparJoe] #480283
09/26/09 10:07 PM
09/26/09 10:07 PM
connecticut
pnypwr Offline
master
pnypwr  Offline
master

connecticut
Quote:

I would do the whole floor, should be easy since it's a convertible, just remember to brace up the body before cutting so it doesn't fold in half.

It's time consuming but worth it if you're keeping the car long term, when I did the floor in my Dart I took out most of it using a 4" grinder with a cutoff wheel and used an air chisel to scrape the sheetmetal off the rails then it's just a matter of fitting the new floor, cleaning out and painting inside the rails, drilling about 1,000 holes in the new pan for plug welds and buzzing it in, it's also a good time to add subframe connectors if you don't already have them.

convertibles are reinforced in the rockers id put in a door bar to do it but you dont have to get crazy for a floor pan replacement, as to the orig questions it depends on how bad the floor is, if the hole is the size of a quarter, or the size of a small farm animal...

"Are you gonna bark all day lil doggy? Or are you gonna bite?"

05 ram 2500 ctd
74 gremlin x 360
65 mustang 347
70 coronet R/T 440
03 Mach 1
Re: Whole floor or patch? [Re: pnypwr] #480284
09/26/09 10:34 PM
09/26/09 10:34 PM
Manitoba, Canada
DaytonaTurbo Offline
Too Many Posts
DaytonaTurbo  Offline
Too Many Posts

Manitoba, Canada
Really depends on how bad the rust is. I've owned cars where the whole floor is thin or completely toasted. Others have had only very localized rust where you could cut your the crappy sections and the remaining metal was not rusted at all.