Boise Idaho
B
Boise Chall Offline
mopar
Boise Chall  Offline
mopar
B

Boise Idaho
It seams like you have chosen the shut up option if this is correct please press 1 If this is not correct please press 2 and you will be directed to the super secret undercover non existing cooling problem secret hotline

Re: Lower Radiator Hose - to spring or not to spring? [Re: Boise Chall] #471279
09/19/09 06:46 AM
09/19/09 06:46 AM
Florida
S
scratchnfotraction Offline
I Live Here
scratchnfotraction  Offline
I Live Here
S

Florida
yep,I got flamed

cause boise chall has a "over heating" problem and I suggested the 1/2 azz "spring in the hose" bandaid fix..

you best go pull that spring back out and warm it up some,it not overheating enuff with it in there

say what you want I have seen them suck closed and have had that ride under the hood

I wont mention cavitation with mixed matched a/c pullys amd non a/c water pumps and the way it eats the alum wp housing up at sustained high rpms either

the shut up option...

Re: Lower Radiator Hose - to spring or not to spring? [Re: Boise Chall] #471280
09/19/09 06:51 AM
09/19/09 06:51 AM
Hunt Valley, Maryland
1fastrunner Offline
top fuel
1fastrunner  Offline
top fuel

Hunt Valley, Maryland
Not rying to blow this out of proportion, but he, and many other members were trying to help you. Not actually working on your problem in person isn't the best case scenario. I'd be very thankful they all took the time to help someone they probably never met, and maybe never will.
I'm just saying don't burn any bridges, you might need to get over another problem down the road.
Jim

Re: Lower Radiator Hose - to spring or not to spring? [Re: 1fastrunner] #471281
09/19/09 06:59 AM
09/19/09 06:59 AM
Florida
S
I Live Here
I Live Here
S

Florida
he was being nice when he flamed me...that bridge has been burnt,IMHO

only the 1/2 azz bandaid fix from under the shade tree for me pleze

Re: Lower Radiator Hose - to spring or not to spring? [Re: scratchnfotraction] #471282
09/19/09 07:54 AM
09/19/09 07:54 AM
Tennessee
WyleECoyote Offline OP
pro stock
WyleECoyote  Offline OP
pro stock

Tennessee
I held off putting my system together after reading a few of these - then I headed here to Orlando to take my wife to Sea World; she's in the shower so I only have a minute to reply here. I'm glad I waited to get the spring before I attached the lower hose and filled up the system. For NO other reason other than NEVER having doubt or to wonder if I do end up with a overheating problem, that if its because I didn't have spring. Sorry you got flamed and I brought up "old memories" in here - I do THAT enough with the wife!
I'll be back tonight after Sea World to see how things are going in here!

Thanks everyone!

Re: Lower Radiator Hose - to spring or not to spring? [Re: 1fastrunner] #471283
09/19/09 10:02 AM
09/19/09 10:02 AM
Boise Idaho
B
Boise Chall Offline
mopar
Boise Chall  Offline
mopar
B

Boise Idaho
Quote:

Not rying to blow this out of proportion, but he, and many other members were trying to help you. Not actually working on your problem in person isn't the best case scenario. I'd be very thankful they all took the time to help someone they probably never met, and maybe never will.
I'm just saying don't burn any bridges, you might need to get over another problem down the road.
Jim

I understand that and I let it pass by a few times but supercuda was very persistant and would not let it go. Every time I would post he had the same comment. In my bait post " Massive overheating problem" I said thank you to everybody that helped me I was also trying to get this issue away from this thread so I didn't hijack it.

Re: Lower Radiator Hose - to spring or not to spring? [Re: Boise Chall] #471284
09/19/09 10:30 AM
09/19/09 10:30 AM
Michigan
MNobody Offline
master
MNobody  Offline
master

Michigan
I was told by the guy at the parts store that they did away with the springs because they had issues with them working their way into the water pump and damaging it. That kinda tells me that they either didn't need to be there, wern't needed on newer vehicles or solved the collapsing problem another way. It makes sense to me that if the hose is collapsing then the pump might be flowing too much, or the hose is old. A pump can't push water if there's a restriction on the inlet side and can't pull water if there's a restriction on the outlet side i would think but i'm no expert.

Last edited by MNobody; 09/19/09 10:43 AM.
Re: Lower Radiator Hose - to spring or not to spring? [Re: MNobody] #471285
09/19/09 11:36 AM
09/19/09 11:36 AM
Eagle, Idaho
Neil Online content
The Doctor is in.
Neil  Online Content
The Doctor is in.

Eagle, Idaho
I'd have a hard time believing a spring would ever work it's way loose. I have had to pull them out of old hoses with pliers, and use string to help pull them back into the new hose.

The spring is so small in diameter that I doubt there is enough surface area there for the fluid to grab hold of it to any degree. Also the water pump inlet is much smaller than the spring diameter in every one I've monkeyed around with.

I'd say they stopped installing the springs because that would be one more added cost that would cut into their profit margin.....

Re: Lower Radiator Hose - to spring or not to spring? [Re: Neil] #471286
09/19/09 12:53 PM
09/19/09 12:53 PM
Kirkland, Washington
Pacnorthcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
Pacnorthcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

Kirkland, Washington
I have found PIECES of rusty coils (they are not springs) in waterpumps. When the coil is in good shape (no rust) there is no danger to the waterpump, but when it starts to disintegrate thats another story. Always a good idea to use stainless.
I am another person who has SEEN the lower hose (and it wasn't an old worn out hose) collapse while simply winging the throttle from the engine bay. I believe a poor-flowing radiator can contribute to the problem by allowing the WP suction to build trying to suck coolant from a radiator that doesn't want to give it up.
Like putting your hand over a vacuum cleaner hose, the forces on the hose are FAR greater than with the hand off.

Re: Lower Radiator Hose - to spring or not to spring? [Re: Pacnorthcuda] #471287
09/19/09 01:36 PM
09/19/09 01:36 PM
Today? Who Knows?
1_WILD_RT Offline
Management Trainee
1_WILD_RT  Offline
Management Trainee

Today? Who Knows?
Quote:

Like putting your hand over a vacuum cleaner hose, the forces on the hose are FAR greater than with the hand off.

And the fact that the radiator hose has a much larger area for a vacuum to work on means it doesn't take much to suck it flat... Think about it, you can typically squeeze a radiator hose flat pretty easily, a heater no so much...

Also another thing to consider, there will be no flow when the thermostat is closed so if the engine gets spun up while cold & collapses the hose during that condition now the hose has been weakened slightly so next time it will collapse easier... The spring could have prevented it collapsing the first time...

Re: Lower Radiator Hose - to spring or not to spring? [Re: 1_WILD_RT] #471288
09/19/09 01:57 PM
09/19/09 01:57 PM
DuPont, Washington
D
DZJim Offline
enthusiast
DZJim  Offline
enthusiast
D

DuPont, Washington
Quote:

Quote:

And the fact that the radiator hose has a much larger area for a vacuum to work on means it doesn't take much to suck it flat... Think about it, you can typically squeeze a radiator hose flat pretty easily, a heater no so much...

Also another thing to consider, there will be no flow when the thermostat is closed so if the engine gets spun up while cold & collapses the hose during that condition now the hose has been weakened slightly so next time it will collapse easier... The spring could have prevented it collapsing the first time...

We're all here to help on another...right?

This got me thinking some more. Vacuum cleaner; I have an old Electrolux canister type. Works good. If I put my hand over the exhaust and stop it, the suction decreases and stops. The impeller/fan/whatchamaycallit is stalled. If there aint't no place for the fluid to go, there aint no fluid gonna move and ain't no hose gonna collapse.

I believe that the thermostat closed simply directs the coolant bypassing the radiator, and does not stop flow through the engine. The water pump impeller would have to be stalled for flow to cease. Ain't like Mopar designed it that way...
My

Re: Lower Radiator Hose - to spring or not to spring? [Re: WyleECoyote] #471289
09/19/09 04:24 PM
09/19/09 04:24 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio
Challenger 1 Offline
Too Many Posts
Challenger 1  Offline
Too Many Posts

Cincinnati, Ohio
Quote:

I held off putting my system together after reading a few of these - then I headed here to Orlando to take my wife to Sea World; she's in the shower so I only have a minute to reply here. I'm glad I waited to get the spring before I attached the lower hose and filled up the system. For NO other reason other than NEVER having doubt or to wonder if I do end up with a overheating problem, that if its because I didn't have spring. Sorry you got flamed and I brought up "old memories" in here - I do THAT enough with the wife!
I'll be back tonight after Sea World to see how things are going in here!

Thanks everyone!
Quote:

Please post smaller pictures!!!

Re: Lower Radiator Hose - to spring or not to spring? [Re: DZJim] #471290
09/19/09 08:19 PM
09/19/09 08:19 PM
Today? Who Knows?
1_WILD_RT Offline
Management Trainee
1_WILD_RT  Offline
Management Trainee

Today? Who Knows?
Quote:

We're all here to help on another...right?

This got me thinking some more. Vacuum cleaner; I have an old Electrolux canister type. Works good. If I put my hand over the exhaust and stop it, the suction decreases and stops. The impeller/fan/whatchamaycallit is stalled.

If there aint't no place for the fluid to go, there aint no fluid gonna move and ain't no hose gonna collapse.

Actually the impeller is still spinning at the same speed.. But airflow has ceased.. A vacuum & a typical automotive water pump have something in common, they are what is refered to as "Non-positive displacement pumps" So movement of air/water can stop & it doesn't damage the pump but it leaves a positive pressure after the pump & a negative pressure before the pump... the hose is under a vacuum & while a vacuum cleaner hose doesn't collapse in a radial fashion due to the ribbed design adding considerable resistance to collapse... But the hose does collapse in a linear way... IE the hose gets shorter as the coils pull together...

I believe that the thermostat closed simply directs the coolant bypassing the radiator, and does not stop flow through the engine. The water pump impeller would have to be stalled for flow to cease. Ain't like Mopar designed it that way...
My

Believe what you what, the thermostat stops water flow... While working for Ford I actually was involved in some testing on Police vehicles that were blowing up heater cores at a rate of one every couple weeks... Eventually we found out the officers were taking the cars out stone cold manually selecting first gear & winding the crap out off the cars to see what would break.. The heater core was the weak point & while the engine was cold at 4500 rpm you would see 75+ psi in the heater core... Brass Cores would take that, aluminum would not..

Re: Lower Radiator Hose - to spring or not to spring? [Re: 1_WILD_RT] #471291
09/20/09 07:33 AM
09/20/09 07:33 AM
Florida
S
I Live Here
I Live Here
S

Florida
the thermo is by passed at the intake and pump and will flow x amount of water with it closed

that is so it does not cavitate while cold,the water is moveing

you can run into probs with the intake blocked, when cold and at high rpms

how many vanes on the pump and a/c or non a/c pullys plays a part also

8 vanes for the larger non a/c pully
6 vanes for the smaller a/c pully

a/c pully on a 8 vane pump can cause it to suck a hose flat or cavitate at high rpms

they are matched to pully speed and vanes to move the same x amount of water at idle

large pully turns slower and has 8 vanes

smaller pull turns faster with 6 vanes

a thermo does help direct water to the smaller head passages and helps direct flow

the intake by pass hose is often thought of as a way of warming the engine up to temp faster...which it does...but its to let water flow with out it cavitating while the thremo is closed..or like said when cold and being reved up

I have found pieces of the spring "coil" in as far as the t-cover or wraped around the impeller also

also have changed some alum t-covers from cavitation eating the alum away enuff to leak,and seen them leak water into crank case

cavitation damage looks like casting flaws that are bubble shaped pocket/holes that have been eat into the alum

look at some off a mercruzer off shore boat engines that turn 7000+ rpms for sustained lenghts of time

more to it than pumping water with restrictions in the system

got spring?

Re: Lower Radiator Hose - to spring or not to spring? [Re: WyleECoyote] #471292
09/20/09 12:58 PM
09/20/09 12:58 PM
Ball Ground, Georgia
Dixie Offline
top fuel
Dixie  Offline
top fuel

Ball Ground, Georgia
For whatever it's worth to this conversation, I asked the same question about the date coded radiator hoses I sell. Most of the lowers don't have springs.

I asked the vendor I get them from why the lowers didn't have springs. He told me the manufacturer of the hoses said they were made of stronger material and didn't need a spring like the older ones.

I don't know if that's correct or not. I am of the opinion that a spring is a good safety measure. But, lots of good info here.

Sometimes "band-aid" fixes have to work until you find time to diagnose and fix a problem. Sometimes you never find that problem or the time.

Thanks,
Randy

Dixie Restoration Parts
Phone -(770) 975-9898
Phone Hours: M-F 10am-5pm EST
email: mail@dixierestorationparts.com
Veteran owned small business

The Best Parts at a Fair Price.
Re: Lower Radiator Hose - to spring or not to spring? [Re: Dixie] #471293
09/20/09 04:22 PM
09/20/09 04:22 PM
Wisconsin USA
B
Bill MeLater Offline
mopar
Bill MeLater  Offline
mopar
B

Wisconsin USA
This dosen't actually involve springs...But have you ever removed the core plugs on your heads/block and taken a look at the water passages? I have and it's a pretty ugly scenario. It's nothing unusual to find passages blocked 60 percent with casting flash/sand chunks. A few minutes with a carbide burr is time well spent. Just remember to pick up your block and shake it vigorously when your through grinding to remove all the junk. (Overhead works best}

Re: Lower Radiator Hose - to spring or not to spring? [Re: Bill MeLater] #471294
09/20/09 04:38 PM
09/20/09 04:38 PM
Florida
S
I Live Here
I Live Here
S

Florida
yes,the hoses are made of a "better rubber" is the most common answer I have got about that ? also..

Re: Lower Radiator Hose - to spring or not to spring? [Re: scratchnfotraction] #471295
09/20/09 08:48 PM
09/20/09 08:48 PM
Wisconsin USA
B
Bill MeLater Offline
mopar
Bill MeLater  Offline
mopar
B

Wisconsin USA
Quote:

yes,the hoses are made of a "better rubber" is the most common answer I have got about that ? also..

"Better rubber" Wish someone would have invented this 14 years ago...

Re: Lower Radiator Hose - to spring or not to spring? [Re: Bill MeLater] #471296
09/20/09 08:55 PM
09/20/09 08:55 PM
Florida
S
I Live Here
I Live Here
S

Florida

Re: Lower Radiator Hose - to spring or not to spring? [Re: scratchnfotraction] #471297
09/20/09 09:43 PM
09/20/09 09:43 PM
Wisconsin USA
B
Bill MeLater Offline
mopar
Bill MeLater  Offline
mopar
B

Wisconsin USA
Get that truck runnin' yet?

Page 2 of 2 1 2