11/07/07 08:08 PM
Atco NJ
DJVCuda Offline
I Live Here
DJVCuda  Offline
I Live Here

Atco NJ
Quote:

Bill, irrespective of the foregoing I apologize if you think I stepped over the line and I have held back wildly on this response.

Bill IS a class act...

your response in a nutshell is why you have a hard time on this site, its your attitude, it has not changed since you got here and obviously will never change. Bill on the other hand lets his parts do the talking with MOPAR, Delaney, Strope and, Foose all using his product...

is he out there with a bugle like you? no

sometimes it what you DO... not what you SAY...
know what I mean?

Re: Alterkation, XV Level II and MagnumForce front end [Re: DJVCuda] #47122
11/07/07 10:05 PM
11/07/07 10:05 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Bill IS a class act...

your response in a nutshell is why you have a hard time on this site, its your attitude, it has not changed since you got here and obviously will never change. Bill on the other hand lets his parts do the talking with MOPAR, Delaney, Strope and, Foose all using his product...

is he out there with a bugle like you? no

sometimes it what you DO... not what you SAY...
know what I mean?

So we shouldn't tell anyone what we do?

I haven't posted on this product for over a year here - purposely. Generally I put new product announcements out and answer questions as I'm able to. We shouldn't tell people about any new products? Or track events we organize, or share video of things that we've done? Or open house events we do?

Maybe it doesn't interest you, but I think others may have a slightly different opinion and all of those are things we do. And at this point there are quite a few things we've done.

I won't beat a dead horse, but look what we've accomplished in basically a year and a half. We've been doing exactly what you suggest, getting stuff done, lots of things on many fronts - and not all over the top stuff either. That is all doing, not saying. It's also inevitable not everyone is going to be happy about that.

Re: Alterkation, XV Level II and MagnumForce front end #47123
11/07/07 11:23 PM
11/07/07 11:23 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

some people just aren't happy unless EVERYBODY is patting them on the back??

Re: Alterkation, XV Level II and MagnumForce front end #47124
11/08/07 03:23 AM
11/08/07 03:23 AM
Santa Rosa CA
Bones Offline
Bones  Offline

Santa Rosa CA
Quote:

Quote:

The only thing I see wrong with the VX system is they don't have a level 2 set up for the A body cars. As soon as they do thats what I'll be buying.

It's really hard to rationalize doing it for the A-Body cars. Originally we planned to, but right now it's not in the cards.

The reason is that we have launched products for A-Body cars and so far they really don't sell. Tilt columns - for E-Body I can't keep them in stock. B we sell plenty of as well. So far it hasn't been worth the time/money to have done the A body pieces.

Power window kits is another. I've lost track how many we've sold, primarily for E, but also alot of B-body. A-body again, hasn't been worth the effort at all.

Same with other pieces we have, numbers are many fold more for E and B, over the A.

We had put it out there long ago, if we got enough serious people for Level II A-Body, we'd do it. There's a small number who stood up, but not enough to warrant the resources in time and money. Time is our scarcest resource for getting things done. Some things are easy to do and we just knock them out. But bigger projects, we need to be confident the demand is there.

We've already started a Level II for older Mustangs - most of the work is already done. That'll be done before we have an A-Body product. From a business standpoint it's a bigger market and we have requests all day long for us to start building other kinds of cars, including Mustangs.

If there is enough demand, we'll do almost any platform - within reason. I'm sure you've noticed, we're launching many, many different products. That isn't going to stop. Lot's more in the pipeline and all to the same standards we do things to.

So if you really want us to do A-body, in this case it's a function of people stepping up and saying they are really serious - not just a post here, but get in touch with Peter and tell him you're in if we'll do it. He has a list, which has alot of dust on it and not enough names...

Level II Rear would be easy to do on the A-body. Chassis stiffening is pretty easy as well - some is already started on that. Level II Front is where it's going to require some real time and money to do it right.

John

John, reading your reply to the question of offering products for A-bodies tells me that you really don't understand this segment of the Mopar hobby. For the most part, A-body guys don't care about tilt columns and power windows, we care about performance. Basing your decision to make hardcore suspension parts for A-body mopars on how many tilt columns you sell is just silly.

Take a look at the Race Only section of the forums and you will see that the majority of cars being used for drag racing are A-bodies. The same goes for road racing. Most of the "handling" cars I've seen on the forums and in the mags have been Darts, Valiants, and A-body Cudas. They were the lightest cars that Mopar made and therefore lend themselves well to being raced out. Something else you're probably not thinking about is how many more A-bodies were produced and how much less rare they are than the B and E bodies. Because they are not as scarce and cost less money to obtain, people are much more willing to cut them up and turn them into race cars. By ignoring the A-body crowd you are missing out on the single biggest segment of the mopar market. I don't think you would have any problem selling 10 kits if you manufactured them, in fact, I think you would have trouble keeping them in stock. Especially if you got the prices down a little bit like you were talking about.

I look forward to seeing what your company has in store for the future.

Re: Alterkation, XV Level II and MagnumForce front end [Re: Bones] #47125
11/08/07 04:48 AM
11/08/07 04:48 AM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
This is getting out of hand and it is ridiculous. Businesses’ interacting about their products is a growing problem here on Moparts.

If a business needs to comment on their product on a web board they should be objective and to the point as possible. They should respect their competitors and talk about their products only. I don’t want to see a debate (catfight) between businesses on Moparts.

If this get worse this place will just be a wh@re-fest, with disguised shill members here to pump products services. It sort of happening now, just very thinly veiled. Not including any of the businesses mentioned in this post.

When any business comes on here implying or saying their product is the best, most of the time there is a backlash with pot shots. Just like what John B is trying to defend. It really may be the best, but that just puts a product on the dart board. Best for whom, and for what? There is not just one solution for everyone. State your objective facts with an open mind and let the customers decide.

I come onto a web group to look for unbiased opinions of products, ideas, methods, techniques, etc. It’s my job to decipher what opinions are valid. Many are not valid, just look at this thread. I’m looking for the customers of businesses too. I’m not looking for owners of the businesses. I don’t mind an owner clarification or comment. But debating with businesses about their competitor’s products is not why most people are here.

Last edited by autoxcuda; 11/08/07 04:03 PM.
Re: Alterkation, XV Level II and MagnumForce front end [Re: autoxcuda] #47126
11/08/07 06:36 AM
11/08/07 06:36 AM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
jcc  Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
J

Bitopia
I applaud your goals, but I think you are setting the standard maybe a little high. I for one also find a catfight a little unpleaseant. But who other then the owners/main players know the intricate details of their design decisions of their products? In a competitive market they have to early on design against or beyond their competitors product. Sharing how their product compares and maybe how they decided on their solutions, helps me decide which product also might meet my needs best. Critiqing their competitors products is of course taken wih a grain of salt, but I find it very useful, and one more thing to consider. Both have a lot of passon for what they are trying to achieve, emotions play a part, they are civil for the most part, and it gives them a chance to get things off their chest, and likely inspire both to go back to the drawing board to get a leg up on the competition, and we all win. I have less respect for those manufactures who choose not to even admit there are other products in the market with any advantges over their product. As long as it stays civil, everybody gets enlightened.

Last edited by jcclark; 11/08/07 06:39 AM.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: Alterkation, XV Level II and MagnumForce front end [Re: 2fast4yourBrain] #47127
11/08/07 08:11 AM
11/08/07 08:11 AM
Los Angeles, California
D
DualQuad68 Offline
super stock
DualQuad68  Offline
super stock
D

Los Angeles, California
Quote:

Quote:

One thing that bothers me about the RMS system is that it removes some of the torsional strength from the front of the car.
Look at the unit off the car. There's only one little crossmember. If you grab the unit by the mounting points it would twist much easier than the stock K.
It removes the torsional load from the T-bars but the car is stuck relying on the flimsy core support to keep it from becoming a pretzel.

The XV unit has the second cross bar that helps prevent flex in the K. It's still going to move around on it's own but once installed it would lead to a much stiffer chassis.

Adding the other pieces to stiffen the vehicle would really help either setup but if you're going that far you wouldn't consider the RMS in the first place.

I don't have any experience with either setup but understanding physics and knowing how to break stuff makes me lean more towards the better designed (and painfully expensive) XV.

If you're going to go drag racing, RMS has got the better looking product assuming you've already got a cage with forward bars.

I dunno. That "little crossmember" of the RMS is pretty dang beefy. Compare that to the flimsy, sheet metal torsion bar x-member that's still there! It's not like you cut it out.

The RMS is super stiff compared to the factory K. Latter may be heavier, but not as stiff.

Folks have been on HR Power Tours w/the RMS and never heard of any issues.

would it be possible to maybe weld in a rear crossmember like in the XV kit has?? would it get in the way of anything, or would it even be necessary?? I know the Alter K has proven that it can hold up to hard driving, but it does look like it would be a lot stiffer. a little over engineering never hurt anybody. i do like the XV kits, but im not about to start welding stuff, they dont make an A body kit, and if they did, I probably couldnt afford it anyway. the magnum force stuff looks like junk. The alter K is the only real option for an A Body, and its a pretty damn good one. Bill, are you offering the SRT brake kits yet?? Will SRT calipers be used as well??

why hello there
Re: Alterkation, XV Level II and MagnumForce front end [Re: autoxcuda] #47128
11/08/07 09:43 AM
11/08/07 09:43 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

This is getting out of hand and it is ridiculous. Businesses’ interacting about their products is a growing problem here on Moparts.

If a business needs to comment on their product on a web board they should be objective and to the point as possible. They should respect their competitors and talk about their products only. I don’t want to see a debate (catfight) between businesses on Moparts.

If this get worse this place will just be a [Edited by Moparts - Keep it clean]-fest, with disguised shill members here to pump products services. It sort of happening now, just very thinly veiled. Not including any of the businesses mentioned in this post.

When any business comes on here implying or saying their product is the best, most of the time there is a backlash with pot shots. Just like what John B is trying to defend. It really may be the best, but that just puts a product on the dart board. Best for whom, and for what? There is not just one solution for everyone. State your objective facts with an open mind and let the customers decide.

I come onto a web group to look for unbiased opinions of products, ideas, methods, techniques, etc. It’s my job to decipher what opinions are valid. Many are not valid, just look at this thread. I’m looking for the customers of businesses too. I’m not looking for owners of the businesses. I don’t mind an owner clarification or comment. But debating with businesses about their competitor’s products is not why most people are here.

I apologize as I let it slip into exactly what I've avoided since day one. Won't happen again or any more in this instance.

And you are right on the money, many people have different needs and objectives, so one size never fits all.

Re: Alterkation, XV Level II and MagnumForce front end [Re: Bones] #47129
11/08/07 09:50 AM
11/08/07 09:50 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

John, reading your reply to the question of offering products for A-bodies tells me that you really don't understand this segment of the Mopar hobby. For the most part, A-body guys don't care about tilt columns and power windows, we care about performance. Basing your decision to make hardcore suspension parts for A-body mopars on how many tilt columns you sell is just silly.

Take a look at the Race Only section of the forums and you will see that the majority of cars being used for drag racing are A-bodies. The same goes for road racing. Most of the "handling" cars I've seen on the forums and in the mags have been Darts, Valiants, and A-body Cudas. They were the lightest cars that Mopar made and therefore lend themselves well to being raced out. Something else you're probably not thinking about is how many more A-bodies were produced and how much less rare they are than the B and E bodies. Because they are not as scarce and cost less money to obtain, people are much more willing to cut them up and turn them into race cars. By ignoring the A-body crowd you are missing out on the single biggest segment of the mopar market. I don't think you would have any problem selling 10 kits if you manufactured them, in fact, I think you would have trouble keeping them in stock. Especially if you got the prices down a little bit like you were talking about.

That's very interesting, I definitely hadn't thought about it in that way.

Obviously the cars are the lightest and the A's are the stiffest to begin with. FWIW, the E's are the the one's that need the most help with regard to stiffening.

That's very helpful.

Last edited by DQHemi; 11/08/07 09:57 AM.
Re: Alterkation, XV Level II and MagnumForce front end #47130
11/08/07 10:01 AM
11/08/07 10:01 AM
Irving, TX
feets Offline
Senior Management
feets  Offline
Senior Management

Irving, TX
Next time you want to introduce a new product or discuss improvements to old ones, do us a favor.
Leave the trumpets, fanfare, red carpet, and crowns at home. You having members of the media and other high-falutin' muckety-mucks present doesn't help our cars for any faster or hendle better.

When you start dropping names, you start dropping clients. It gives the impression that you're trying to be a person of great importance and above the masses. That's far from attractive. It's not enthusiastic. It's "look what I'm doing that you can't do."
It smacks of the issues we had with BigKahuna and his little man turned big man ego.

I'm sure you're got good products but don't hurt anything trying to pat yourself on the back.

No fussin, just friendly advice.

We are brothers and sisters doing time on the planet for better or worse. I'll take the better, if you don't mind.
- Stu Harmon
Re: Alterkation, XV Level II and MagnumForce front end [Re: feets] #47131
11/08/07 11:01 AM
11/08/07 11:01 AM
Tampa, FL
D
dgarner Offline
dgarner  Offline
D

Tampa, FL
With all the engineering that went into the XV suspension no one knows what the parts weight or how much the total weight of the car increases with the suspension and additional bracing? This seems like vital information when trying to determine the best solution for a particular use.

My take is that they are both great products but XV belongs at SEMA and the Alterkation belongs at PRI. :-)

Re: Alterkation, XV Level II and MagnumForce front end #47132
11/08/07 01:08 PM
11/08/07 01:08 PM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

I apologize as I let it slip into exactly what I've avoided since day one. Won't happen again or any more in this instance.

And you are right on the money, many people have different needs and objectives, so one size never fits all.

I realize it's fustrating. The people inquiring do not know what they want or have any defined goal in mind. The needs and objectives are all over the place.

But worse off, you have people trying to give advice that have totally different needs and objectives than people asking the questions.

The handling goals are harder to pinpoint than: "I want to run 11's in the quarter," or "I want to take 50 lbs off the front of my car," or "I want to make 450 hp."

We have guys that have Moroso front runners on their cars trying to relate how "great" their particular optioned system is to someone that wants to hit some serious road course track days. That's not revalant for handling comparisons. But it is revalant for installation, fitment, durability.

Re: Alterkation, XV Level II and MagnumForce front end [Re: dgarner] #47133
11/08/07 01:43 PM
11/08/07 01:43 PM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

With all the engineering that went into the XV suspension no one knows what the parts weight or how much the total weight of the car increases with the suspension and additional bracing? This seems like vital information when trying to determine the best solution for a particular use.

Stiffening the car for the level of handling is more important than the weight added. After that, start reducing weight. The difference in weight would be negated by the difference in driver weights.

I'm sure they could weigh the parts. Probably allready know them for shipping reasons. But why post the weights? So someone can make misguided comments on the weights??

Quote:

My take is that they are both great products but XV belongs at SEMA and the Alterkation belongs at PRI. :-)

For what applications? Drag, Road Racing, Circle Track??

Neither would be at PRI for Road Racing or Circle Track. They don't fit competitively into any popular sactioning bodies rules. And even if there are some remote classes that fit these products, why would have a booth at PRI to try to find those 4-5 total potential customers in North America.

Re: Alterkation, XV Level II and MagnumForce front end [Re: autoxcuda] #47134
11/08/07 03:55 PM
11/08/07 03:55 PM
Los Angeles, CA
JF_Moparts Offline
super stock
JF_Moparts  Offline
super stock

Los Angeles, CA
autoxcuda wrote:
Quote:

If this get worse this place will just be a [Edited by Moparts - Keep it clean]-fest, with disguised shill members here to pump products services. It sort of happening now, just very thinly veiled. Not including any of the businesses mentioned in this post.

You hit it right on the head. Well said.

I would just like to add that I'm happy to see XV, RMS, and MF in the marketplace offering their products. All their hard work eventually benefits us Mopar owners. Hopefully there will be a bit more friendly competition in the future.

- Jim

Re: Alterkation, XV Level II and MagnumForce front end [Re: JF_Moparts] #47135
11/08/07 04:10 PM
11/08/07 04:10 PM
Q
quick77rt Offline
Parts Problem
quick77rt  Offline
Parts Problem
Q

I spoke to Bill today, THANKS Bill. Specked out a Altk setup for my aspen, was shocked they could do it. I had a cocky reply ready for the sorry, no f-body stuff, but to my surprise he said no problem.

Im thrilled to death and I didnt read all this post until now.....however so far Bill is the only one to step up with the f-body parts.

Re: Alterkation, XV Level II and MagnumForce front end [Re: quick77rt ] #47136
11/08/07 09:26 PM
11/08/07 09:26 PM
Red Bluff, CA
W
WilliamHall Offline
super gas
WilliamHall  Offline
super gas
W

Red Bluff, CA
I think both DQHemi and Bill have conducted themselves appropriately. I don't know much about suspension parts but like engines you can pretty much guess that 95% of it has been solved. Cutting edge though is that 5%. How do you get that 5%. You do it much the same way good engine builders do, (dyno) testing, testing, testing. In that testing you find out things that relatively few people know. To me its pretty obvious XV has the edge on actual testing. You can even see it in the results. How many would have known that the bottom radiator support is a weak link in stiffening as opposed to the upper radiator support. I doubt Bill would have come up with this observation. Of course that doesnt mean Bill's product cant produce a fine road race machine, in much the same way it doesnt mean I cant produce a 700hp engine without the help of Fast68Plymouth or 1FastMopar, since 95% of engine building is well known and written about. You want value go with Bill's system. You want the finest go with XV's.

I will add Bill's system has been out there longer and he has shown a willingness to improve on it, so some bonus points need to be added there since it is a form of testing.

Re: Alterkation, XV Level II and MagnumForce front end [Re: WilliamHall] #47137
11/09/07 09:35 AM
11/09/07 09:35 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Would you guys like me to go through our setup in detail? What we did, why, how, what we found, how we addressed, etc.?

For example, here's our front sawy bar mount. There's a reason we did it this way:

It'll take me several days to do this in chunks and I'll have to dig up more pictures than have probably even been out there before. If I did I'd also like to edit some video that shows things a bit more clearly than just verbally (or rather in writing).

I can touch on some of the Level I as well, as there is some relevance.

I won't do any comparisons to anything else, or comment on any other setups, just straight facts what we did, how we did it, why we did it, what components we use, what we found, how we addressed what we found, etc. I won't share everything, but there's lots that is either fragmented here and there, or we haven't shared before. Some aspects are too proprietary, but I will try and disclose as much as I feel I can.

I can also cover aspects of install as well so you know what is, and what's not, involved.

You can draw your own conclusions about it all, I'll just lay it out and walk you through it. I may ask some questions along the way with regard to places we could cut cost and whether you consider the difference important or not.

Let me know and I will start.

Re: Alterkation, XV Level II and MagnumForce front end #47138
11/09/07 09:39 AM
11/09/07 09:39 AM
Hanover, Ontario, Canada
Moparmatty Offline
mopar
Moparmatty  Offline
mopar

Hanover, Ontario, Canada
I'm interested in the reading John. Please continue.

Matt Tebbutt
Ontario, Canada
Re: Alterkation, XV Level II and MagnumForce front end #47139
11/09/07 11:30 AM
11/09/07 11:30 AM
Manitoba Canada
67autocross Offline
super stock
67autocross  Offline
super stock

Manitoba Canada
Great post Bones, you hit the nail on the head, I don't mind spending 30-40 grand on mods to a car but if you have to start with a $20000 rusty E body to begin with I'll have a $60000 car that will sit in the garage because its getting to a point where it's worth to much to drive.(HARD)

John I think it's great what your doing with these old cars and if you do get around to doing the A-body level II system I'll be the first in line to pick one up. Do you need a car for a test mule? I know of a guy with a nice 67 dart.....
Quote:

Quote:

That's very interesting, I definitely hadn't thought about it in that way.

Obviously the cars are the lightest and the A's are the stiffest to begin with. FWIW, the E's are the the one's that need the most help with regard to stiffening.

That's very helpful.

A new iron curtain drawn across the 49th parallel
Re: Alterkation, XV Level II and MagnumForce front end #47140
11/09/07 03:09 PM
11/09/07 03:09 PM
Los Angeles, CA
JF_Moparts Offline
super stock
JF_Moparts  Offline
super stock

Los Angeles, CA
Quote:

Would you guys like me to go through our setup in detail? What we did, why, how, what we found, how we addressed, etc.?

<snip>

I can also cover aspects of install as well so you know what is, and what's not, involved.

You can draw your own conclusions about it all, I'll just lay it out and walk you through it. I may ask some questions along the way with regard to places we could cut cost and whether you consider the difference important or not.

Let me know and I will start.

John,

Absolutely! I'm interesting in listening to whatever you are able to share.

I've been working on my 1971 Satellite's suspension from back in the days when California Suspension (remember them?) was one of the few vendors offering high performance parts. For years my only guides were "Super Street Mopar" (still an excellent book) and "How to Make Your Car Handle". In 89 I used the Corvette ZR-1 as a template and tried to get my Satellite as close to that as possible, in spring rate, weight, CG, polar moment, tire patch, and weight ratio. Of course, I never got quite there, and there were tons of things I overlooked.

I don't know about anyone else, but lots of people thought I was crazy to waste time getting my car to do anything more than go in a straight line. Their attitude was that my car was built for the dragstrip. My attitude was to improve the car's weaknesses rather than further its strengths. Now it seems the tide has turned a little bit and there's finally some respect for (and investment in) getting these cars to handle. Great.

Let's open the XV vault!

- Jim

ps - Congrats on the nice write up in Car & Driver, John. I was hoping the XV Challenger would have pulled more than a .90, though. Were there any extenuating circumstances?

Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11