Tracy, New Brunswick, Canada
M
magnumcharger Offline OP
top fuel
magnumcharger  Offline OP
top fuel
M

For those of you that have done it, could you please provide me with information on how to do it!

Re: Installing a 5.7 Hemi in an A body? [Re: magnumcharger] #469458
09/16/09 12:48 AM
09/16/09 12:48 AM
Newfoundland
C
codfish Offline
master
codfish  Offline
master
C

Newfoundland
If you haven't already, post this over on bigblockdart.com. There are a few over there.

codfish

Re: Installing a 5.7 Hemi in an A body? [Re: magnumcharger] #469459
09/16/09 07:25 AM
09/16/09 07:25 AM
Texas
D
Daty Rogers Offline
World's Greatest Husband. I love you Robyn
Daty Rogers  Offline
D

Texas
I have, almost done (famous last words), did one of the first ones out there and ended up using a lot of first run parts to do it with all the attending issues that go with it. Here's my tthread out of Moparts best of: https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...&PHPSESSID=

Feel free to ask me any questions
-Daty

Re: Installing a 5.7 Hemi in an A body? [Re: Daty Rogers] #469460
09/16/09 11:51 AM
09/16/09 11:51 AM
M
magnumcharger Offline OP
top fuel
magnumcharger  Offline OP
top fuel
M

Daty, I've gone through that thread several times. It's a gooder for sure. And I applaud your efforts!

However, the web being what it is, I've found that most of the sites listed on that thread are no longer relative, pertainent or functioning.
There's been a lot of development with regards to retrofitting these engines into older cars, and I'm wondering if there's a simpler "Coles notes" version of this swap....something akin to a parts list. And a list of applicable current websites would be benficial too.
And finally, a $$$$ number, from those who have "been there - done that".

Re: Installing a 5.7 Hemi in an A body? [Re: magnumcharger] #469461
09/16/09 01:07 PM
09/16/09 01:07 PM
Texas
D
Daty Rogers Offline
Daty Rogers  Offline
D

Texas
Quote:

Daty, I've gone through that thread several times. It's a gooder for sure. And I applaud your efforts!

However, the web being what it is, I've found that most of the sites listed on that thread are no longer relative, pertainent or functioning.
There's been a lot of development with regards to retrofitting these engines into older cars, and I'm wondering if there's a simpler "Coles notes" version of this swap....something akin to a parts list. And a list of applicable current websites would be benficial too.
And finally, a $$$$ number, from those who have "been there - done that".

Cliff notes? Anyway, do you remember offhand which links didn't work anymore so I can address them directly? As far as getting it in there I went the TTI route, they have headers and mounts that work together, you will need to get their blockoff plate for the oil filter and use the taps on the side of the block to run a remote filter, I used a Canton Racing Products unit. GDemon cut out the portion of the kframe that interferred with the oil filter and left his stock (truck unit that swings the filter toward the radiator). Had to use the TTI specified mini-starter. For an oil pan I used a Charlie's pan but had to bang in some clearance for the idler arm/drag link (typical A-Body stuff). I cut down the hemi flexplate but B&M makes a plate for the swap now. I used a normal 727, Bouchillon kickdown and stock throttle cable. On the radiator hoses I made custom since I put in a 26" E-body 3 core radiator, tranny cooler lines are stock. I went thru a lot of belts until I found if I used Durango idler pullies (they are larger) I found a stock belt that fit perfectly. Now my install did use a crate motor which is a lot easier as far as wiring, if you're using a take-out I can't help much there wiring wise. There are other more knowlagable people with wiring issues on take-outs.

Costwise? Loaded question, I didn't go cheap looking back but am real pleased with how it has turned out but I have 12-14K in the swap so far including upgrades I did to the car along the way. I'm sure I'll get railed and be told "I did mine for 500 including the motor!" well more power to them, I could care less. I see swap costs generally run from 2 to 10k here.

-Daty

Re: Installing a 5.7 Hemi in an A body? [Re: Daty Rogers] #469462
09/16/09 01:26 PM
09/16/09 01:26 PM
Texas
D
Daty Rogers Offline
Daty Rogers  Offline
D

Texas
I went thru the old post and found Canton didn't work, here's an updated version:

http://www.cantonracingproducts.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=22-620

The Dodge dealer Troy worked at got closed down, he went somewhere else, hopefully someone can chime in on that one.

-Daty

Re: Installing a 5.7 Hemi in an A body? [Re: magnumcharger] #469463
09/19/09 12:59 AM
09/19/09 12:59 AM
East TN.
M
Moparsky Offline
Moparsky  Offline
M

East TN.
Here is a link to the "For A Bodies Only" web forum, see FABO member's thread on the "Member Restorations" section at the link below;

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/forumdisplay.php?f=75

Tincup's '63 Dart with 5.7 Hemi

67limecrazy's '67 Dart with a 5.7 Hemi