Lake Charles,Louisiana
B
BILLYJAY Offline OP
pro stock
BILLYJAY  Offline OP
pro stock
B

Lake Charles,Louisiana
Why cant we get a Thread that address Indy and their products on this site.. i have been a member for 7 years or so and all i can ever rememeber is indy always has a thread going on... I want to know since there are so many people having issues with Indy and some of their products (but mainly their customer service or lack of) why we cant get some of the Indy dealer on this site to help us address these issues with Indy directly ???? I love their heads and really like my block.. but why should i have to buy 11,000 worth of alum product only to install a Cheap, thin walled pushrod ??? any head that is capable of making 900Hp should come with a strong and duarable pushrod.. i should not have to continue to dig peices of the cups out of my engine...i know i dont stand alone when i say this has gone on long enough.. why wont some of you dealers and Moderators help us out with a thread strictly for and to Indy and have someone address these issues ???we need the dealers to speak up on our behalf and convey that they should try to correct some of the issue that are a constant..I bet the dealers of their products dont get the kind of treatment that us little guys get..other wise close your doors to any customers beside your dealers and we will elt you guys deal with those JERKS over at INDY !!!!! Come on guys.. who's seconds my suggestion ???

Last edited by BILLYJAY; 09/08/09 10:38 PM.
Re: Indy Dealers And Moderators.. ATTENTION !!!!!!!!! [Re: BILLYJAY] #463476
09/08/09 10:41 PM
09/08/09 10:41 PM
Walton's Mountain, Pa
Steve1118 Offline
master
Steve1118  Offline
master

Walton's Mountain, Pa
It's not necessary. You deal with the engine builder/dealer, and they are good and bad. Bob George is an Indy dealer and his integrity is absolutely beyond reproach. But, you call Flagle or Lazzari and all you will get is P.O.'d.

The fact is that their stuff is good...and guys run real fast with it. My advice is to find a good engine builder that has good relationships with them and let them handle it.

"Old age and treachery trumps youth and enthusiasm, every time!"

East Central Director / Chrysler Power Magazine

www.reasbeckracing.webs.com
Re: Indy Dealers And Moderators.. ATTENTION !!!!!!!!! [Re: BILLYJAY] #463477
09/08/09 11:03 PM
09/08/09 11:03 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

i understand your plight, but it's possoble in your case it's not all indy's fault. i don't mean any disrespect, but consider this for what it's worth.
many people attemp to build their own engines without having either the experience or expertise to see it through without having problems. in your case it sounds like you bought a kit that included the pushrods. now, before you assembled said pushrods, did you check the wall thickness? did you decide it was ample for YOUR application? who assembled and installed them? maybe you didn't know that an .080 pushrod was not good enough? this isn't a slam on you, but you have to take some blame on this one, dodn't you.
when in doubt, ask questions. i'm think (and i could be wrong} that you simply didn't know any better. if that's the case you wouldn't be the frst one. lots of people use their pushrods and don't have any issues. personally, i choose not to use them at all, but that's just a personal preference. if i had sold you a top end kit, you WOULD NOT have gotten their pushrods with it, i guarantee it. i feel bad for what your going through, but a thread TO indy and ABOUT indy, or to the dealers, isn't going to solve anything IMO. i hope you get it sorted out without any magor damage.

Re: Indy Dealers And Moderators.. ATTENTION !!!!!!!!! #463478
09/08/09 11:20 PM
09/08/09 11:20 PM
Salisbury North Carolina
8secDart Offline
pro stock
8secDart  Offline
pro stock

Salisbury North Carolina
Quote:

i understand your plight, but it's possoble in your case it's not all indy's fault. i don't mean any disrespect, but consider this for what it's worth.
many people attemp to build their own engines without having either the experience or expertise to see it through without having problems. in your case it sounds like you bought a kit that included the pushrods. now, before you assembled said pushrods, did you check the wall thickness? did you decide it was ample for YOUR application? who assembled and installed them? maybe you didn't know that an .080 pushrod was not good enough? this isn't a slam on you, but you have to take some blame on this one, dodn't you.
when in doubt, ask questions. i'm think (and i could be wrong} that you simply didn't know any better. if that's the case you wouldn't be the frst one. lots of people use their pushrods and don't have any issues. personally, i choose not to use them at all, but that's just a personal preference. if i had sold you a top end kit, you WOULD NOT have gotten their pushrods with it, i guarantee it. i feel bad for what your going through, but a thread TO indy and ABOUT indy, or to the dealers, isn't going to solve anything IMO. i hope you get it sorted out without any magor damage.

See that is the problem right there.It is always the other persons fault.The pushrods are junk........Heads that are sold ready to run and the guides are so damn tight that in 3 seconds of run time the exhaust valve is pinched.Must I go on?I do love their stuff but some people are sick of getting it in the rear.

Please take that $hit somewhere else.

Re: Indy Dealers And Moderators.. ATTENTION !!!!!!!!! #463479
09/08/09 11:22 PM
09/08/09 11:22 PM
Lake Charles,Louisiana
B
BILLYJAY Offline OP
pro stock
BILLYJAY  Offline OP
pro stock
B

Lake Charles,Louisiana
This is what i'm talking about DRAM..you as a dealer of whatever products are pushing blame else where and not addressing my question or concern.... i as a consumer expect some level of help and advise with any purchase that invloves this type of HP or money...as i stated above.. if these heads are capable of producing 900+hp then one would think that there are some serious springs and cams involved..Right ??? you say you wouldn't sale these pushrods with a topend kit ... Why not ??? because you know they are inferior and not near what is needed to cover the range of these heads..Correct ???? thats what i'm asking..is that some people that has some input with indy speak up and out to them to address these issues..if i had known that these pushrods were not capable of handling what i was building then do you really think i would have bought them ??? i have spent 40K building my car and buying and using the best parts for my application.. why then would i be cheap on a set of pushrods?? i do have experience with engines but i am no master mechanic and dont think anyone would expect to buy quality products from a vendor and then get some cheap part to try to make it work.. knowing all the trouble they have had with these items alone, why wouldnt something be done..???? if you were saling a cheap and inferior product and kept getting call after call with issues. would you investigate ?? or close your ears to the problem and continue to sale crap to the people who not only rely on you for quality products but your help and knowledge with the very items that you sale...is that too much to ask ??? I DONT THINK SO.. *****************************************************************STEVE,,I'm Not looking for an engine builder to deal with ..what i want is for indy to back their products and correct and flaws or cheap parts with a quality product that people are always haning trouble with... your missing the point.. dealers will still have to make it right and get anther set from indy..i dont want ANOTHER set..i want a set that will handle the hp that they are making.. and the springs that we are using...thats all...

Last edited by BILLYJAY; 09/08/09 11:26 PM.
Re: Indy Dealers And Moderators.. ATTENTION !!!!!!!!! [Re: BILLYJAY] #463480
09/08/09 11:47 PM
09/08/09 11:47 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

i know it's not what you want to hear, sorry.
your missing my point. it's not a matter of placing blame, i tried not to offend you, or anyone else. obviously i didn't succeed. unfortunately you didn't answer any of the questions i asked.
for a lot of people, .080 wall pushrods would be just fine. i don't like their pushrods, but people do use them successfully. they didn't work for you obviously, but why? please don't say "because they're junk". think it through and be honest about it.
i deal with aftermarket parts 16 hours a day, 6 days a week. anybody in my business can tell you stories about most any brand of part out there. the majority of them simply don't bolt on "out of the box", and most need something done to make them useable. if your running 750 lb springs, .080 wall pushrods won't get the job done. a lot of people might buy the same kit with lighter springs and have no issues at all. like it or not, the end user also has to accept some responsibilty for using the correct parts for the application. yes, they sold you a kit, did they install the springs on the heads and if so, at what pressure where they set up at? or, did someone else set up the heads? there's plenty of blame that can go to Indy for a lot of different reasons. i'm not sure this is ALL their fault simply because i don't know the answers to the questions i previously asked. shoot the messenger if you wish, but it's not personal, I'm simply asking questions and conveying my thoughts as someone that see's this stuff day in and day out.
mis- machined parts drive me, and guys in my profession absolutely looney tunes. i've been raked over the coals right here on Moparts numerous times for speaking my mind about some of them, and i'm sure it'll happen again in this thread because i'm not posting the ever popular, "lets bash Indy" response.

Last edited by DRAM_Perf_Only; 09/08/09 11:52 PM.
Re: Indy Dealers And Moderators.. ATTENTION !!!!!!!!! [Re: 8secDart] #463481
09/08/09 11:58 PM
09/08/09 11:58 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

See that is the problem right there.It is always the other persons fault.The pushrods are junk........Heads that are sold ready to run and the guides are so damn tight that in 3 seconds of run time the exhaust valve is pinched.Must I go on?I do love their stuff but some people are sick of getting it in the rear.

Please take that $hit somewhere else.

as a "hot rod shop" you know that pretty much nothing is ready out of the box, especially cylinder heads, and that is regardless of brand. i deal with world, dart brodix, AFR, edelbrock and on and on. every head comes apart and gets inspected and corrected as needed. it's not like that issue is privy Only to Indy so please give me a break with your last comment.

Re: Indy Dealers And Moderators.. ATTENTION !!!!!!!!! #463482
09/09/09 12:21 AM
09/09/09 12:21 AM
Lake Charles,Louisiana
B
BILLYJAY Offline OP
pro stock
BILLYJAY  Offline OP
pro stock
B

Lake Charles,Louisiana
Dram, again i am not looking for a bash Indy Thread.. i am looking for a vendor that stands behind their product and is willing to talk with their customer about their products and the application it will be used in..sure there is plenty of blame to go around.. and you dont offend me or even bother me with your comments.. but again you are missing the big picture and question..if their heads are capable of producing 900hp and they sale it all in a kit.. then why wouldnt the pushrods also beable the handle 900hp or the spring ratings that are used to reach these numbers ???if you make a "one size fits all" kit. then it should cover all bases...why would someone buy a 5200.00 alum block and a 5400.00 set of alum heads, a 572ci assembly and then WHAT run a .590 hyd camshaft???? Give me a break..your comments are noted, but you are sounding just like the men i'm talking about..you sale a product that wont stand up to 900+hp and then want to make us feel like chumps because you wont admit that there is a problem with sometime in your KIT...Correct it and make customers happy as most people that have or use indy products are happy with them.. So to finish. i dont need to answer your questions because my comments cover the problem.. a cheap pushrod bound together in a "KIT" thats wont handle the Hp rating of the heads..thats my complaint..now why dont you call Indy and explain to them why you will sale their products but wont sale or use their pushrods...this is the help WE are looking for.. some one to speak to the guys at Indy and maybe make them understand there is a problem with these items....

Re: Indy Dealers And Moderators.. ATTENTION !!!!!!!!! [Re: BILLYJAY] #463483
09/09/09 12:58 AM
09/09/09 12:58 AM
communist bloc of new jersey
J
jamesc Offline
master
jamesc  Offline
master
J

communist bloc of new jersey
i'm not taking any "sides" in this and know basically nothing about your build. having said that relying on a vendor to always give you the "correct" parts will get you in trouble real fast. depending on what cam and spring pressures you're running if you have the "as shipped" rockers on there imho you better plan on getting rid of them as well. afaik for the most part these days most stiffer valve train setups are using ball/ball. personally i don't think .080 wall on any roller setup is really a good idea. rollers need spring pressure to keep the motion under control. stiff springs and long .080 wall rods can lead to things flailing around. the b1 head package comes with dove rockers and they're not up to the task of a decent cam/spring setup...i learned that the hard way. i feel one reason vendors offer these "packages" with the aformentioned parts is to make them attractive pricewise. basically with either of these "packages" the stuff you really need is a grand over the cost of the package. i think they should offer the upgrade and advertise it. some people use those kit rockers but most end up trashing them and i would rather spend more money up front to get the right stuff.

Re: Indy Dealers And Moderators.. ATTENTION !!!!!!!!! [Re: BILLYJAY] #463484
09/09/09 01:02 AM
09/09/09 01:02 AM
Flint, Michigan
B1Fish540 Offline
master
B1Fish540  Offline
master

Flint, Michigan
I hate to say it, Billy, but protesting just wont do you any good when it comes to Indy. All the dealers know which side their bread is buttered on..so they will back Indy albeit, occasionally with a caveat..such as: "Dont buy direct from them..go through a dealer". Look at all the posts ol' Elvis made on this subject...and yet to no avail. I look at the 2 and 3 page ads in Mopar Muscle of Indy stuff and am amazed at the sheer volume of cool crap they have! Trouble is alot of guys do the same thing and think they can buy that stuff and screw it together themselves...and it does'nt seem to matter to Indy whether you buy a set of cast iron SB heads or a high end set of 572-13s....they treat you with same level of care (or lack of it). It is a crying shame it has to be this way, but it is what it is.

Re: Indy Dealers And Moderators.. ATTENTION !!!!!!!!! [Re: jamesc] #463485
09/09/09 01:10 AM
09/09/09 01:10 AM
North Alabama
M
Monte_Smith Offline
master
Monte_Smith  Offline
master
M

North Alabama
Not siding with anybody here either, but just because the heads you bought are capable of making 900hp, does not mean everybody who buys those heads will be making that power. If you want to be an engine builder, you should know that .080 wall pushrods are not going to get it done at a 900hp level. I don't really see this as Indys fault, just because it was in the kit. Would it be their fault if you put more cam in, than their installed height would allow? The vast majority of these decisions fall to the engine builder, not the guys who make the parts. If Indy had done that motor in house, it would not have those pushrods in it. I am not at all defending Indy, because sometimes their customer service is lacking, but they do make good parts, if used properly.

I am not an INDY dealer, but I do use their parts at times. I have also used the kit pushrods and rockers, with absolutely zero issues, but i know the limitations of those parts. Sure, INDY could sell a kit with a high dollar set of Manton or Smith Brothers pushrods, but then, they would get bashed because their kit was $100 bucks more than somebody elses.

Monte

Re: Indy Dealers And Moderators.. ATTENTION !!!!!!!!! [Re: B1Fish540] #463486
09/09/09 01:11 AM
09/09/09 01:11 AM
Florida STAYcation
dOrk ! Offline
The village idiot's idiot
dOrk !  Offline
The village idiot's idiot

Florida STAYcation
Quote:

"Dont buy direct from them..go through a dealer".

And MY question would be ... WHY is Indy - or any HP parts vendor that has a Dealer or WD program - selling DIRECT to the consumer ?

Re: Indy Dealers And Moderators.. ATTENTION !!!!!!!!! [Re: BILLYJAY] #463487
09/09/09 01:20 AM
09/09/09 01:20 AM
land of 10,000______'s
B
BDS871Cuda Offline
top fuel
BDS871Cuda  Offline
top fuel
B

land of 10,000______'s
It's all about the money $$$$$. Indy is for making
money. They know these kits are _____, but they
put a package together that is not to much $$$$
to sell there big seller (Heads). All the other stuff they have to buy, and don't make as much
money on. People get into some very high dollar
stuff not knowing there is way more to be spent
on top of your big investment.

They could sell you just a set of heads and before
you know it, bam!!!! you have $10 G's in them.
But they would rather sell a bolt them on and go kit. It looks like a good deal untill you bolt
them on and it goes south.

It's all snake oil. Everything out there is made
somehow someway to catch the eye. Indy does it
very well with fancy adds, catchy magazine adds,
the big tent at the races and carshows. They tell
you over the phone that Edelbrock heads are junk
because they want you to buy there heads to make
more money. But, they know some people will not
pay there crazy price for there heads, so to keep
the customer, they offer Indybrocks and still make money, just not as much if you would of
bought there EZ heads or whatever.

Kits forsale!!! Get your kits here!!!!

Snap your neck, mega G-force launch, is all I want!
Re: Indy Dealers And Moderators.. ATTENTION !!!!!!!!! [Re: BDS871Cuda] #463488
09/09/09 01:51 AM
09/09/09 01:51 AM
WA 98043
thecarfarmer Offline
super stock
thecarfarmer  Offline
super stock

WA 98043
One thing I don't understand is why an Indy distributor would bother to respond on this thread.

Not trying to be an A-hole (I don't have to try ), but if I've already bought my Indy stuff elsewhere, and then run into problems, why should Dram, Fast68, BG, or any of the other reputable guys here go to bat for me?

I bought three orders of parts from a lower-priced manufacturer who sponsors this board, without going thru a dealer. I had issues on all three orders. I figured it was between me and that company to get it all worked out.

Luckily, they took care of the problem all three times - but it wouldn't have been the responsibility of anyone who sells their products to help make it right.

As far as BILLYJAY's pushrod problem, yeah, I feel ya'. You don't want to know how many problems I've had with 'drop-in- type parts on my build... and it's just a Stealth-headed stock block street engine. Not to speak of all the 'going backwards' I did, learning that parts I'd bought wouldn't work with other parts I'd bought.

I agree, I'd expect that a guy selling a top end kit would match pushrods to the springs installed on the heads. If I changed springs, then I'd expect that the durability of the pushrods would be in question. If not, then I'd feel I had a complaint if they weren't up to it.

My comment to Indy is: remember, we can buy Brodix.

Maybe that'd be a good thing if more of us did. I bet if the mopar enthusiasts all quit bending over for them, at some point, Indy's ownership would become much more responsive to customer satisfaction.

Just my .02

-Bill

Seduce the attractive, and charm the rest. ****** 489 C.I.D., roller cam, aftermarket heads, tunnel ram, stock '54 Dodge rear axle assembly: which of these doesn't belong?
Re: Indy Dealers And Moderators.. ATTENTION !!!!!!!!! [Re: BILLYJAY] #463489
09/09/09 02:12 AM
09/09/09 02:12 AM
IL
E
EchoSixMike Offline
mopar
EchoSixMike  Offline
mopar
E

IL
I was gonna do EZ's but then did my due diligence research and wound up with original B1's. Capitalism works just give it time. S/F....Ken M

Re: Indy Dealers And Moderators.. ATTENTION !!!!!!!!! [Re: EchoSixMike] #463490
09/09/09 03:54 AM
09/09/09 03:54 AM
Phoenix, AZ
M
MoparBilly Offline
master
MoparBilly  Offline
master
M

Phoenix, AZ
I am always amazed by hot rodders who want products at the cheapest possible price, make the most HP, and are durable/ hassle free! Like the ole joke goes...Pick 2!!

When I first bought my Edelbrock RPM's, I took them to my machinist, and had them gone over, first thing he told me was the supplied springs tested really week. So, I ended up upgrading the springs and retainers before they were even bolted on.

I bought my 440-1's from a friend who had the kit on a shelf for a few years, when I picked it up he said, "Sorry, I can't find the pushrod kit yet". I said, "Quit looking, I wasn't going to use them". Likewise with the rockers, after watching my brother break nearly 2 sets 1 rocker at a time over a 3 year period, I knew mine would be sold as spares immediately.
Would Indy's kit be better if it came pre-packaged with T&D rockers and Smith Brothers pushrods?? Of course!!! Could they compete in the free market place against B-1's and Edelbrock, if they had a 5000$ entry level price point?? uh, probably not!!

I'm not saying you did anything wrong. I am saying with a little more research, you would've found that your expectations for the "as supplied" pushrods, and Indy's customer service, were unrealisticly high.

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines
Re: Indy Dealers And Moderators.. ATTENTION !!!!!!!!! #463491
09/09/09 07:02 AM
09/09/09 07:02 AM
wappinger falls new york
J
Jimi_Vignogna Offline
mopar
Jimi_Vignogna  Offline
mopar
J

wappinger falls new york
Quote:

for a lot of people, .080 wall pushrods would be just fine.

dram you build engines all the time i see you post about them when a new build is done, my question is do you install .080 wall pushrods in any thing you build? i won't use anything less than .120 even on a stock engine. and this is not to blast you im just wondering your opinion.

oh and by the way i will blast indy every chance i get after my hemi cylinder head fiasco with kenny and russ.i will not stop untill i at least get an apology on the roughly $8000.00 loss i took. those two are the most incapeable s.o.b's on the planet ! they screw up all the time and refuse to be accountable. someone like yourself that uses there product and sells alot of it should speak up about it to others and to them. maybe they will start to listen and get there minds straight.

Re: Indy Dealers And Moderators.. ATTENTION !!!!!!!!! [Re: BILLYJAY] #463492
09/09/09 07:34 AM
09/09/09 07:34 AM
South Carolina, United States
C
carolinacuda Offline
carolinacuda  Offline
C

South Carolina, United States
Well my engine is a basic mild 440 making Maybe 550 hp (not 900hp)and the pushrod failed me and also one of their rockers causing damage. Now, who should be responsible for this (me of course) but i do feel like I spent alot of $$ on weak parts. I hate rude people. I called them and I try to be polite when i call one of these vendors I always start the conversation out with "Good evening (or morning) how u doin today" Last time I called INDY I started the conv that way and the response was "Im busy and other lines are waiting, what do u need" I said never mind and hung up!! Of course I wanted to curse that SOB out. I called HUGHES and got what i needed. Of course they werent much nicer but tolerable. These people obviously dont care about us!

Re: Indy Dealers And Moderators.. ATTENTION !!!!!!!!! [Re: Steve1118] #463493
09/09/09 08:04 AM
09/09/09 08:04 AM
Fredericktown, PA 15333
maundmotorworks Offline
Stealth poster
maundmotorworks  Offline
Stealth poster

Fredericktown, PA 15333
Quote:

It's not necessary. You deal with the engine builder/dealer, and they are good and bad. Bob George is an Indy dealer and his integrity is absolutely beyond reproach. But, you call Flagle or Lazzari and all you will get is P.O.'d.

The fact is that their stuff is good...and guys run real fast with it. My advice is to find a good engine builder that has good relationships with them and let them handle it.

Steve, you are absolutely right. I am not an Indy distributor, but I am a builder and have built countless engines with Indy's product line, and I've never had a major problem with their stuff. Sure, you get a minor problem here or there, and anytime I've called Indy they've been nothing but professional and courteous to me. Maybe I'm the lucky one out of the bunch here, I don't know, but a very important fact remains. Nothing mass produced through the aftermarket is a direct bolt on. Anyone who thinks that it is or thousands of dollars makes it so watches too much Spike TV and reads too many Hot Rod magazines. When a part gives a person trouble, the builder or the manufacturer is always the first to get the blame or get bashed. And while there are certain cases where it is indeed justified, typically it is the owner/installer that is more defective than the part. And it's the person that doesn't want to admit they made a mistake or doesn't know what they thought they did, so instead they bash everyone else but themselves. I find it really odd that I've gone on other forums and talked to many customers and colleagues in my business and I don't see nearly the amount of bashing as I see here. I can't help but wonder why that is...

Maund Motorworks--supplier of high performance Mopar engines--specializing in B, RB, and Hemi. www.maundmotorworks.com
Re: Indy Dealers And Moderators.. ATTENTION !!!!!!!!! [Re: BILLYJAY] #463494
09/09/09 08:09 AM
09/09/09 08:09 AM
Cincinnati, Ohio
Challenger 1 Offline
Too Many Posts
Challenger 1  Offline
Too Many Posts

Cincinnati, Ohio

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3