08/30/09 11:41 AM
08/30/09 11:41 AM
Nebraska
70VcodeCoronetRT Offline OP
top fuel
70VcodeCoronetRT  Offline OP
top fuel

Nebraska
Hello, I'm planning on trying a terminator kit from rons for next year. I was just curious on how many of you guys use the primer plus system. How do you like it and is it easy enough to use? Also if not using the primer plus how hard is it to start and or put heat in the motor? Also any tips or pointers would be great. Thanks in advance

Re: rons alcohol users [Re: 70VcodeCoronetRT] #454375
08/30/09 12:02 PM
08/30/09 12:02 PM
Northeast, Arkansas
D
Dodgeman67 Offline
super stock
Dodgeman67  Offline
super stock
D

Northeast, Arkansas
We have the flying toilet.

We don't use the primer, but they do help making starting the car easier.

If you don't have a primer, you better have a good starter and battery.

You will love the throttle response.

Good luck.

Re: rons alcohol users [Re: Dodgeman67] #454376
08/30/09 12:06 PM
08/30/09 12:06 PM
Rock Springs
Bob_Coomer Offline
master
Bob_Coomer  Offline
master

Rock Springs
After the first prime at the track, we never needed to time it again. It always started.
The trick to warming up the engine is pulling the barrel valve near closed, enough for a fast idle, then let it set with out water pump or fan on....cycle the water pump on for a few seconds every minute to avoid hot spots in the cylinder heads. We Hardly ever used the fan at all.

[color:"red"]65 Hemi Belvedere coming soon [/color]
[color:"#00FF00"]557" Indy engine 1.07 60ft 144mph in the 8th 2100 lbs package [/color]
Re: rons alcohol users [Re: Bob_Coomer] #454377
08/30/09 12:26 PM
08/30/09 12:26 PM
Weatherford, Texas
RapidusMaximus Offline
top fuel
RapidusMaximus  Offline
top fuel

Weatherford, Texas
I use a Ron's Primer Plus and after many years of using one of their Flying Toilets all I can say is I sure would have used a lot less alcohol over the years...best investment I ever made, starts are easier, water temp is easier to control, oil is less milky, etc, etc, etc...

1968 Plymouth GTX
1974 Dodge P/U Long Bed Stepside 318
2019 Ram 2500 6.4, auto, 4WD
Re: rons alcohol users [Re: RapidusMaximus] #454378
08/30/09 12:34 PM
08/30/09 12:34 PM
Nebraska
top fuel
top fuel

Nebraska
Rapid can you tell me a little more about the primer plus? I'm guessing you have to start cranking and hit the primer plus switch to fire the motor to avoid flooding? Does it feed enough gas to move the car to the stagging lanes? Is the only control for the primer plus the knob? Sorry for the newbie ?s but I have never seen one in person. Thanks

Re: rons alcohol users [Re: 70VcodeCoronetRT] #454379
08/30/09 12:39 PM
08/30/09 12:39 PM
The Swamp
MegaDart Offline
master
MegaDart  Offline
master

The Swamp
I ran Enderle hat injection with no primer and I do believe a primer would have paid for itself in short order as I used a ton of alky getting motor warm, even in Fl!
I don't think flooding is a major issue as it uses a small electric pump. Most guys turn it on for a couple of seconds then turn it off. Fire motor up then turn it back on and yes, you can drive car at idle to the lanes, etc.
I used to squirt a couple ounces of fuel for first startup then never needed gas the rest of the day.

Re: rons alcohol users [Re: MegaDart] #454380
08/30/09 01:37 PM
08/30/09 01:37 PM
Wisconsin
G
Garceau Offline
pro stock
Garceau  Offline
pro stock
G

Wisconsin
First you need to be talking to James Monroe before purchasing the system, get it from him. He is Rons biggest dealer and one of the best bracket racers in the country go to his site www.killerrons.com and check it out.

the primer plus is Monroe's deal. The primer is Rons deal. There is a huge difference. With the plus you can drive on pump gas all through the pits, warm it up on gas, and drive the return road on gasoline.

You switch it to Alky at the burn out box and shut the alky down at the return road and come back on gasoline. Saves a TON of alky, and makes warm ups a breeze. You dont get to drive at much more than 2500rpms or so, but thats all you need.

Our entire family runs Rons systems through Monroe. Great guy.

Re: rons alcohol users [Re: 70VcodeCoronetRT] #454381
08/30/09 02:01 PM
08/30/09 02:01 PM
Weatherford, Texas
RapidusMaximus Offline
top fuel
RapidusMaximus  Offline
top fuel

Weatherford, Texas
Quote:

Rapid can you tell me a little more about the primer plus? I'm guessing you have to start cranking and hit the primer plus switch to fire the motor to avoid flooding? Does it feed enough gas to move the car to the stagging lanes? Is the only control for the primer plus the knob? Sorry for the newbie ?s but I have never seen one in person. Thanks

I turn the switch on for a split second to get some gas flowing then hit the starter, fires right up. The system has an adjustment knob on it and you just twist it until you obtain the desired RPM. I have been able to drive to and from the staging lanes on gas, then switch to alcohol as I pull into the water box, make a pass then swith it back to gas as I'm coming down the return road. And yes, if you forget and leave the pump on it WILL flood the engine. Really a simple deal, and as everyone else has said James Monroe is a first class deal.

1968 Plymouth GTX
1974 Dodge P/U Long Bed Stepside 318
2019 Ram 2500 6.4, auto, 4WD
Re: rons alcohol users [Re: RapidusMaximus] #454382
08/30/09 02:10 PM
08/30/09 02:10 PM
Nebraska
top fuel
top fuel

Nebraska
Thanks guys

Re: rons alcohol users [Re: Garceau] #454383
08/30/09 02:17 PM
08/30/09 02:17 PM
Las Vegas
A
afxcoronet Offline
super stock
afxcoronet  Offline
super stock
A

Las Vegas
Quote:

First you need to be talking to James Monroe before purchasing the system, get it from him. He is Rons biggest dealer and one of the best bracket racers in the country go to his site www.killerrons.com and check it out.

the primer plus is Monroe's deal. The primer is Rons deal. There is a huge difference. With the plus you can drive on pump gas all through the pits, warm it up on gas, and drive the return road on gasoline.

You switch it to Alky at the burn out box and shut the alky down at the return road and come back on gasoline. Saves a TON of alky, and makes warm ups a breeze. You dont get to drive at much more than 2500rpms or so, but thats all you need.

Like my brother said, I use the primer plus and love it. I actually run mine off of the old fuel cell in the trunk and an old Holley Blue pump. I run the primer plus up to the water box, and actually switch back to gas in the shut down area. I use very little alky, less than .5 gallon a pass, and have no trouble making heat. Good luck with it, let me know if you have any other questions. I love it fill up the fuel cell in the trunk on the way to the track and I'm set.
Curtis

Taking over the World one win light at a time.
Re: rons alcohol users [Re: afxcoronet] #454384
08/30/09 04:10 PM
08/30/09 04:10 PM
Diego-Town, CA
Diego_Ted Offline
master
Diego_Ted  Offline
master

Diego-Town, CA
Quote:

Quote:

Like my brother said, I use the primer plus and love it. I actually run mine off of the old fuel cell in the trunk and an old Holley Blue pump. I run the primer plus up to the water box, and actually switch back to gas in the shut down area. I use very little alky, less than .5 gallon a pass, and have no trouble making heat. Good luck with it, let me know if you have any other questions. I love it fill up the fuel cell in the trunk on the way to the track and I'm set.
Curtis

After talking to Curtis, we got the primer system! Car starts right up and warms up no problem. I use the system to the waterbox and as soon as I pass the stripe. sure saves a ton on Alky!! The only problem HOLLYWOOD worries about is fouling the plugs because there is some soot left but I think we may be a little rich?? One thing is wiring ours is not wired to the ignition so you have to make sure you shut the system down other wise you get a motor full of GAS don't ask me how I know!! LOL

Diego