Wichita,KS
B
Blakcharger440 Offline OP
top fuel
Blakcharger440  Offline OP
top fuel
B

Wichita,KS
I was out for a drive in my 70 Charger RT and coming up to a stop sign on a slight incline the car just shut off.

I tried to re-start it but I got nothing it would not spin over at all. The battery is new and when I opened up the door to pop the hood to take a look the courtesy lights came on so I had power.
I checked the battery cables and the starter/ignition switch and things seemed to be OK.
I then stepped on the clutch a couple of times real hard and then tried to start it with no luck and then wiggled the wire at the neutral safety switch and then stepped on the clutch real hard....I was then able to fire it up.

Did I just get lucky and the problem is something else? Could the neutral safety switch cause the car to just shut off? Maybe I shifted to neutral at the stop light and made the car shut off because the neutral safety switch wire was loose or the switch is bad?

Re: Was out for a test drive in my Charger and it stalled.. [Re: Blakcharger440] #447905
08/24/09 09:45 AM
08/24/09 09:45 AM
Brookeville, Md
Mr.Yuck Offline
Not enough dumb comments...yet
Mr.Yuck  Offline
Not enough dumb comments...yet

Brookeville, Md
Funny you should post, I took my 70 440-6 out yesterday too. Mine is an Auto. After getting gas It wouldn't turn over, nothing. Car has new everything. I did the old GM bang the starter trick and bang, started right up. Kind ticks me off it's a new mopar mini starter!

[IMG]http://i66.tinypic.com/pui5j.jpg[/IMG]
Coming soon!!!!
Re: Was out for a test drive in my Charger and it stalled.. [Re: Mr.Yuck] #447906
08/24/09 12:15 PM
08/24/09 12:15 PM
SK, Canada
E
etek Offline
etek  Offline
E

SK, Canada
Ahhh MOPARS....
while I can't tell you exactly whay it was, I can say what it "could be"....I just rebuilt everything and had a new ECU, Resistor, ballast...still would not start. 12V to coil, etc....still nothing. Was going to start changing things again, but it ended up being the ECU 5 pin plug - wasn't pushed in quite enough....total fluke that I found it.
Was at a car show yesterday talking to MOPAR club guys. One has a 70RT that had been changed over to newer ECM years ago...some where saying how to make it original and he replied: "This thing runs!! Had so many problems with so many MOPES that if it runs - I'm leaving it!!!!
Hope you get it figured - let us know!