08/22/09 06:06 PM
08/22/09 06:06 PM
IL
hemiclone Offline OP
mopar addict
hemiclone  Offline OP
mopar addict

IL
I have a 440 that and I'm bolting a Kiesler transmission bellhousing to. Question is do I have to have the two dowel pins installed for this or can I bolt the set up together without the dowel pins(I just realized there missing and I do not have them and I wanted to finish this today) Also regarding the Index/centering of the Bell to the block, do I need to get a guage for this or do most guys just bolt them together?
Since the bell is from Kiesler Im not sure if it has more adjustable play in it than a original mopar bell?
Thanks for any help!

Re: Questions regarding Bell housing Index? [Re: hemiclone] #446377
08/22/09 07:12 PM
08/22/09 07:12 PM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
you'll need the pins, offsets as well, a selection of them, Keisler instructs you to have .005 Max centerline runout,......I'd recommend .001-.002, the Keisler is extremely tight tolerance internally, any excessive side load from not being centered in the crank bore will create difficult shifting, and/or excessive wear, or failure of the front retainer bearing,....and yes, you need a dial indicator, and magnetic stand/base assy as well......trust me, I've installed more Keisler TKO's than I can remember

Mike

Re: Questions regarding Bell housing Index? [Re: DAYCLONA] #446378
08/22/09 08:16 PM
08/22/09 08:16 PM
IL
hemiclone Offline OP
mopar addict
hemiclone  Offline OP
mopar addict

IL
Thanks Mike, I asked a auto store(Napa) if they had a indicator to purchase or rent and they looks at me like I was crazy...they didnt even know what one was do you have any good ideas on how I would get my hands on one?

Re: Questions regarding Bell housing Index? [Re: hemiclone] #446379
08/22/09 08:22 PM
08/22/09 08:22 PM
IL
hemiclone Offline OP
mopar addict
hemiclone  Offline OP
mopar addict

IL
I see Summit has them...not to bad of a price.

Re: Questions regarding Bell housing Index? [Re: hemiclone] #446380
08/22/09 08:32 PM
08/22/09 08:32 PM
IL
hemiclone Offline OP
mopar addict
hemiclone  Offline OP
mopar addict

IL
Quote:

Is this what I need? In the summit piture I dont see any part of the guage set up that sticks into the needle bearing of the crankshaft?
Summit SUM-900016 - SummitŪ Magnetic Base and Dial Indicator Kits

Re: Questions regarding Bell housing Index? [Re: hemiclone] #446381
08/22/09 10:38 PM
08/22/09 10:38 PM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
Quote:

Quote:

Is this what I need? In the summit piture I dont see any part of the guage set up that sticks into the needle bearing of the crankshaft?
Summit SUM-900016 - SummitŪ Magnetic Base and Dial Indicator Kits

Yes Scott, thats what you need, not bad for $27,....wether your doing it with the motor in, or out of the car, put some standard dowels, or originals in the motor if you have them, mount just the flywheel, then attach the bellhousing, with all the bolts torqued to spec, the bell housing moves around during the torqueing you'll see that later, as the dial indicator is sensitive to the casting movement/distortion during bolting,...set the magnetic base on the flywheel, close to the center, but on stable surface, using the ajustable arms that piviot and hold the dial indicator in place, try to position it so when the engine is turned over by hand, the dial goes around inside the bellhousing bore where the transmission retainer bearing flange sits, so that the "needle" end of the indicator makes contact with the machined bore's surface, it may take a few adjustments to position the indicator properly, make sure to preload the indicator, meaning to set it with the needle slightly depessed, this way you know the dial is actual ingaged in a reading, you now "zero" the dial by rotating the outer face benzel carefully, untill the zero reference mark is lined up with the needle, rotate the engine, slowly taking note of the needles readings +/- sides of zero reference, it best to zero the indicator at the 12 O clock position, and take readings at 3,6,9 O' clock positions, the readings, will tell you in what direction the bellhousing must move, to center the bore over the cranks centerline,....the Keisler instructions now have a detailed chart to help explain the readings you have taken, please use them, the readings based on factory dowels, will give you an indication of the desired offset dowels you will need to purchase, I can't tell you that, as every engine is different, but I would buy several sets that are close to what you need, expect to repeat this process several times, it can be fustrating, but if not done, it's even more fustrating when your Keisler won't go into gear, any gear!, and you have to pull the whole works out and start over again!....then you'll be ,....so be patient, and it will pay off in the end, with a smooth shifting Keisler,....Scott, I take it this is your first Keisler, so even after you've performed this task perfectly, and everything went well in your install, the TKO will be real balky, and resistant to shift into 1st, or reverse, at first, but after 200 or so "break in" miles, the tranny will lose those annoying habits, after that it's a great gearbox,....make sure to phase in your driveline angles with a inclination meter, wether you feel any driveline vibration or not, it will reduce wear on any of your driveline componets, if they are properly phased, read the Keisler instructions regarding how to check for driveline phaseing, I assume you still have to call in your driveshaft deminsion to Keisler, if so, refere to the proper measurements, and how to take them in the instructions, so that you get the prope deminsions to Keisler

Mike

Last edited by DAYCLONA; 08/22/09 10:41 PM.
Re: Questions regarding Bell housing Index? [Re: DAYCLONA] #446382
08/22/09 10:49 PM
08/22/09 10:49 PM
IN
A
ahy Offline
master
ahy  Offline
master
A

IN
If a mag base isn't available, you can make a bracket to mount the dial indicator to the flywheel from 1/8" x 3/4' strip steel.

Most dial indicators have a tab with mounting hole on the back that will take a 1/4" bolt. Drill the steel to mount on the flywheel with a hole at the other end for the dial indicator. It will take an L bend and maybe a twist and some trial and error but it works well.

The hardware store can fix you up with the steel and most any autoparts store or Sears can fix you up with an inexpensive dial indicator.