08/11/09 02:54 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

66 valiant 318, 4 spd

replaced the old three finger clutch with the recommended Centerforce multiple finger clutch…now there is very little throw-out bearing play available, and it appears that if I want the clutch to fully disengage I am going to have to snug up the linkage even further to make the clutch work. This in effect will leave the throw-out bearing constantly riding the pressure plate……any ideas?

Re: CLUTCH HELP PLEASE #434859
08/11/09 03:33 PM
08/11/09 03:33 PM
Hamilton, Ontario Canada
Magnum Offline
master
Magnum  Offline
master

Hamilton, Ontario Canada
I don't want to be the one to tell you this because I burned out a throw out bearing 20 years ago. Running without an overcenter spring AND without a clutch fork return spring. The weight of the pedal and clutch release linkage place the bearing in constant contact with my pressure plate and ended up wrecking the bearing in just a couple months.

Most late model cars do run the bearing in constant contact with the fingers.

When I swapped in a hydraulic clutch in my Ram. I went to great lengths trying to get the bearing off the fingers. The hydraulics constantly compensated for my changes. I gave up and let it ride. It's been 4 years and 40,000km.

Also both fwd Chryslers and Mustangs have self adjusting mechanisms in the clutch cable. Whenever clearance is present a ratchet mechanism will tighten the cable for constant contact with the fingers.

Just some thoughts.

69 Super Bee, 93 Mustang LX, 04 Allure Super