08/07/09 01:16 PM
08/07/09 01:16 PM
K
kielbasa Offline OP
enthusiast
kielbasa  Offline OP
enthusiast
K

Hi guys, I've been out of the muscle car scene for several years while my AAR sat in hibernation. But I have a little more time and funds now to start enjoying it again.
I'd like to make it an awesome handler after driving my buddies 70's Corvette. I have been using the search feature to view past threads, to learn as much as I can, as fast as I can, however there is so much info that I'm overwhelmed with so many opinions, etc....
Here's where I'm at: I detest the look of radials on an old car, however I've accepted the fact that if I want this thing to handle decently I'm gonna probably have to go with radials, and I also hate the looks of rims larger than 15", that I won't stray from. Even short 50 series tires I'd like to do without if I can (I'd prefer 60% or taller). How much would 60 series tires on 15" rims hurt cornering? This is just a street vehicle, I'm not going to do roadracing on a course or anything - I'm just after late model handling.
I'm interested in the XV Motorsports Level 1 package - have any of you guys have firsthand experience with that setup? Or would I be better off pursuing a different avenue??
I realize I may be asking for too much (wanting the old school look of a jacked up car AND making it handle), but just curious what you guys would have to offer, Thanks!

Re: Making my AAR handle [Re: kielbasa] #430598
08/07/09 01:24 PM
08/07/09 01:24 PM
, PA
sleepyhead416 Offline
top fuel
sleepyhead416  Offline
top fuel

, PA
This is 2009 not the 70s switch to radial you wont be disappointed !!!

5402904-100_1056.jpg (65 downloads)
Re: Making my AAR handle [Re: kielbasa] #430599
08/07/09 04:41 PM
08/07/09 04:41 PM
MD
RTSE4ME Offline
top fuel
RTSE4ME  Offline
top fuel

MD
I don't have any firsthand with the XV Level one kit but people who have them seem to be really happy with them. If, it was availavle when I was redoing the suspension on my car I would of purchased one.

Add a Firm Feel steering box and maybe some of the new Hotchkis upper arms.....I would think that would be a nice setup for the street and an occasional track day.

Re: Making my AAR handle [Re: kielbasa] #430600
08/08/09 03:11 AM
08/08/09 03:11 AM
Virginia
M
MACDiesel Offline
MACDiesel  Offline
M

Virginia
You deffinately need to switch to radials. After all, all nifty aftermarket stuff is there to help the tires stay planted. Good tires is THE BEST upgrade you can make to any vehicle. Just watch 'Pass Time' on Speed channel and try watching a guy driving a 1000 HP Viper get a 14 sec ET on street tires and then see a 350 HP Nova run an 11 on drag slicks. The point is ITS ALL ABOUT THE TIRES!

A 15" rim is just fine. Magnum Force sells a kit that uses 11" x 1.25" rotors with 4 pistom calipers. A freind of mine put them on his 78 Camaro and it stops so hard you think you hit something! He used that kit because he wanted to stay with 15" rims too.

I'd stay away from XV's kit. I've heard nothing but bad things about their delivery times and customer service. The Lvl 1 kit isn't bad for the $ though.

-1967 Belvedere II 440/4speed
Re: Making my AAR handle [Re: kielbasa] #430601
08/08/09 04:42 AM
08/08/09 04:42 AM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

Hi guys, I've been out of the muscle car scene for several years while my AAR sat in hibernation. But I have a little more time and funds now to start enjoying it again.
I'd like to make it an awesome handler after driving my buddies 70's Corvette. I have been using the search feature to view past threads, to learn as much as I can, as fast as I can, however there is so much info that I'm overwhelmed with so many opinions, etc....
Here's where I'm at: I detest the look of radials on an old car, however I've accepted the fact that if I want this thing to handle decently I'm gonna probably have to go with radials, and I also hate the looks of rims larger than 15", that I won't stray from. Even short 50 series tires I'd like to do without if I can (I'd prefer 60% or taller). How much would 60 series tires on 15" rims hurt cornering? This is just a street vehicle, I'm not going to do roadracing on a course or anything - I'm just after late model handling.
I'm interested in the XV Motorsports Level 1 package - have any of you guys have firsthand experience with that setup? Or would I be better off pursuing a different avenue??
I realize I may be asking for too much (wanting the old school look of a jacked up car AND making it handle), but just curious what you guys would have to offer, Thanks!

This might seem mild but goes with your 15 radials and actually "looks" very stock unless you know what to look for.

-Hollow Hellwig or Hotchkis front sway bar ($200-300)
-leave your AAR rear sway bar in and AAR rear leafs.
-11.75 disks using the ~$40 bearing spacers Dr Diff sells and a used 11.75 pin type caliper adapters, around $60-80. Then two new ~$60 11.75 rotors.
-1.06 to 1.12 T-bars ($350)
-Moog 7103 offset upper control arm bushings installed for more caster ($40+ install): https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...rue#Post5400257
-11/16 tie rods $175
-Poly strut rod bushings
-Firm Feel rebuilt steering box. $330
-Quick Ratio E-body pitman if you think it's slow steering. Doesn't work with certain headers. ($300)
-Koni ($575) or QA1 Shocks

That will be a different handling and feeling car than you have now. You will feel the difference. And if you painted the Koni shocks, 90% of the people looking under your car wouldn't know it's been modified at all until you told them what to look for. Compare apple to oranges as most kits don't include brake or steering gear related stuff.

-If you are willing to lower the rear (AAR's are raised in the rear) use Firm Feel lowering front hangers

Run 245/60/15 BFG Radial T/A up front. Running a 15x8 will help support the tire sidewall better too. I ran 60 series tires with that basic setup above and it wasn't the end of the world.

Re: Making my AAR handle [Re: autoxcuda] #430602
08/08/09 08:40 AM
08/08/09 08:40 AM
K
kielbasa Offline OP
enthusiast
kielbasa  Offline OP
enthusiast
K

Quote:

Quote:

This might seem mild but goes with your 15 radials and actually "looks" very stock unless you know what to look for.

-11.75 disks using the ~$40 bearing spacers Dr Diff sells and a used 11.75 pin type caliper adapters, around $60-80. Then two new ~$60 11.75 rotors.
-Moog 7103 offset upper control arm bushings installed for more caster ($40+ install): https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...rue#Post5400257
-11/16 tie rods $175
-Poly strut rod bushings
-Quick Ratio E-body pitman if you think it's slow steering. Doesn't work with certain headers. ($300)

That will be a different handling and feeling car than you have now. You will feel the difference. And if you painted the Koni shocks, 90% of the people looking under your car wouldn't know it's been modified at all until you told them what to look for. Compare apple to oranges as most kits don't include brake or steering gear related stuff.

-If you are willing to lower the rear (AAR's are raised in the rear) use Firm Feel lowering front hangers

Run 245/60/15 BFG Radial T/A up front. Running a 15x8 will help support the tire sidewall better too. I ran 60 series tires with that basic setup above and it wasn't the end of the world.

Excellent, this is the type of info I was looking for.....
I studied the XV website, one thing that really catches my interest are their chassis stiffening products (lower rad support, inner fender braces, etc.)...will I really have to start pushing the car to notice any advantages of that bracing?? Personally, I think that would be a fun project installing the bracing and making it look like the factory did it...
the

Re: Making my AAR handle [Re: kielbasa] #430603
08/08/09 08:53 AM
08/08/09 08:53 AM
Answering the call of the wild
T
ThermoQuad Offline
top fuel
ThermoQuad  Offline
top fuel
T

How much money are you willing to spend?

Re: Making my AAR handle [Re: ThermoQuad] #430604
08/08/09 09:44 AM
08/08/09 09:44 AM
Central Texas
D
Dblt68 Offline
Dblt68  Offline
D

Central Texas
Hi,

To get yourself some historical perspective, I'd recommend you google Mitch LeLito. He was a very successful SCCA Solo racer (autocross) with a 70 Challenger T/A. Here's one example....
http://www.teamstarfish.com/mopar.pdf
I'd also recommend you read the Mopar Action Green Brick series on their website. Then you can take into account the newer stuff like XV and figure out your own bang for the buck equation. I had a short and relatively unsuccessful try at autocrossing a 71 Challenger so don't have any personal success to give you advice off of, but I know these two sources did very well for their time.

good luck, you'll have a blast.

TT

Re: Making my AAR handle [Re: Dblt68] #430605
08/08/09 11:29 AM
08/08/09 11:29 AM
Manitoba Canada
67autocross Offline
super stock
67autocross  Offline
super stock

Manitoba Canada
I would get the VX level one kit, sure you could put together something close but if want start driving the car you could make one phone call and have everything.
Now as far as tires, if you are just driving on the street 15" tires are much better on the street than low profile tires. I have 15" 60's on my truck and they work great in the "real world" of pot holes, ruts, and speed bumps.
I also have a set of 20" wheels and the only place they work better than the 15's is very hard cornering. Infact the truck even stops in a shorter distance with the 15's on it.
As far as brakes like others have said go with 11.75 " cop rotors and good pads, ( firm feel has good ones that I have used ) and it will stop a lot better than it does now for not a lot of money.

5404356-DSC00174.JPG (59 downloads)

A new iron curtain drawn across the 49th parallel
Re: Making my AAR handle [Re: autoxcuda] #430606
08/08/09 11:42 AM
08/08/09 11:42 AM
the boonies
aarcuda Offline
I Live Here
aarcuda  Offline
I Live Here

the boonies
Quote:

Quote:

-11/16 tie rods $175
-Poly strut rod bushings

thats the magic recipe

Re: Making my AAR handle [Re: ThermoQuad] #430607
08/08/09 12:49 PM
08/08/09 12:49 PM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

How much money are you willing to spend?

And how much are you willing to cut and weld on a facory AAR?

I forgot to add but frame connectors should be included on that list.

There's a lot of little stuff that is sort of additive. Not one will be really huge, but a few together add up to something you can feel.

Everything is amplified at the track. There are things you do to take care of issues on the track that I don't know you realize on the street. Your feelings Tom Q. ??

Re: Making my AAR handle [Re: autoxcuda] #430608
08/08/09 01:13 PM
08/08/09 01:13 PM
Manitoba Canada
67autocross Offline
super stock
67autocross  Offline
super stock

Manitoba Canada
And while you have the welder out for the sub frame connectors make a gusset for between the steering box to the K frame. Once you put big rubber on the front the box will move around a bit when you are turning. Easy to do at the same time as the sub frame.

A new iron curtain drawn across the 49th parallel
Re: Making my AAR handle [Re: kielbasa] #430609
08/08/09 01:15 PM
08/08/09 01:15 PM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
IMHO your AAR will get the best bang for your buck chooseing the XV level 1, everything is there for your suspension needs,1 stop shopping, but a balanced pkg, esp with shocks,....if your adamant about running nothing bigger than 15" rins, I understand, that's my "feelings" as well,....but step up to 15X8 rims all 4, your exsisting ralley wheel stuff will transfer over, you just need to purchase rims, providing you have ralleys?.....upgrade the front discs as mentioned, either factory or aftermarket (SSBC recommended), body and frame stiffners like the XV kit can do wonders, street and track, they really firm the chassis up, esp the front lower rad, and sidewall stiffners....although no ones mentioned it, 4 wheel discs are your best friend, street or track,...I'd recommend the SSBC rear disc kit, and eliminate the proportioning valve, just run the rear line directly off the master, I'll assume you have a booster on the car, if not, I'd recommend a FACTORY unit, avoid the aftermarket units, as they are usually GM, not recommended,....tires, while I like BF Goodriches, I've found them too soft/slippery for handling,...I prefer the Goodyear Eagle GT II, in the 255/60/15 "S" rated, or if you can, squeeze 275/60/15 on the rear,....I know the Cuda's a lttle tight in the rear for those tires, I've run the Goodyears right up to 140+MPH, although not rated that high!,I've driven right off the street, right on to a course with nothing other than a tire pressure adjustment/shock valving adjustment, I like to street drive my rides, yet have the ability to take it to any track, and without any tire change, or drastic suspension mods be able to race, then drive home, I believe this is what your looking for?

for steering, PS, I'll assume,..... go with Firm Feel, stage 3, don't waste time with a stage 2 box, and upgrade the front suspension to a Polygraphite bushing set-up, preferable PST, solid tie rod sleeves are a nice safety upgrade as well,.......everything described here with the exception of the frame braces, is bolt on, if that's a concern regarding your cars future status, should you desire to return it to "original"?......but if in doubt, vist Moparts for some ideas, questions, advice, many guys here with seat of the pants experience, mechanical, and driving

Goodluck with your project!

Mike

Seeing we don't have a suspension and handling forum here, although there's other sites, most are GM oriented,....I have a question for fellow "canyon carvers",....Cal-Tracs? pros/cons on a course, not a strip, anybody utilize them? mod them,

5404523-0000a.jpg (48 downloads)
Re: Making my AAR handle [Re: 67autocross] #430610
08/08/09 01:20 PM
08/08/09 01:20 PM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
Quote:

And while you have the welder out for the sub frame connectors make a gusset for between the steering box to the K frame. Once you put big rubber on the front the box will move around a bit when you are turning. Easy to do at the same time as the sub frame.

....Marty, I forgot that one!, you are so right, esp after a few hours on a track, the box bolts can loosen up or break,....I had it happen

Mike

Re: Making my AAR handle [Re: DAYCLONA] #430611
08/08/09 03:59 PM
08/08/09 03:59 PM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

Seeing we don't have a suspension and handling forum here, although there's other sites, most are GM oriented,....I have a question for fellow "canyon carvers",....Cal-Tracs? pros/cons on a course, not a strip, anybody utilize them? mod them,

I think the Cal Tracs give a hard launch. In racing we use the saying violent action, violent reaction.

I wonder about the Cal Tracs under braking. Are they designed to load up under braking too? Or do they completely release. That's the axle being loaded in the complete opposite direction as acceleration. Also axle tramping/hopping under braking was an issue Mike had with his VARA Team Starfish Barracuda. A real leaf spring set up for road course and shocks took care of that.

Re: Making my AAR handle [Re: MACDiesel] #430612
08/08/09 04:09 PM
08/08/09 04:09 PM
Berwyn, IL
challenger70 Offline
master
challenger70  Offline
master

Berwyn, IL
Quote:

.............I'd stay away from XV's kit. I've heard nothing but bad things about their delivery times and customer service. The Lvl 1 kit isn't bad for the $ though.

I have had nothing but good luck with them I got the wrong front sway bar and I didn't realize until a few months later and they picked up shipping both ways for the correct bar, no problemo. I haven't installed it yet so I cannot comment on that perspective yet though.

Re: Making my AAR handle [Re: challenger70] #430613
08/08/09 08:50 PM
08/08/09 08:50 PM
K
kielbasa Offline OP
enthusiast
kielbasa  Offline OP
enthusiast
K

wow, lot of good info so far, it'll take me a little bit to digest...
currently the car has manual steering (I don't mind it), but does have power brakes.
As far as butchering up an original AAR to weld in some bracing, it does bother me to a degree. But in my perfect world I'm hoping I can do a clean enough install to make it look factory which hopefully wouldn't detract from the value of the car too much, if any??
As far as how much $$ I want to throw at the suspension/chassis, hmmm, well, I know I can throw 5~10 grand in engine/drivetrain in a heartbeat, so in perspective I'll gladly throw a few grand at the chassis. I'm not out to throw money away, but I do realize this hobby can cost.
Thanks for all the info so far!!

Re: Making my AAR handle [Re: kielbasa] #430614
08/08/09 09:10 PM
08/08/09 09:10 PM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
One thing with the XV kit is that the rear leaf springs lower the rear from stock. That's what nearly every buyer of that kit wants. The higher rear end does not help handling.

Now your AAR is actually higher than stock in the rear. If you want to keep the AAR/TA rake your car has now, I don't think you'll like the XV rear leafs. Someone on CudaChallenger.com said they took the XV leafs off to raise the back to regular 'Cuda/R/T level. I don't see that XV did anything wrong what they offered.

Re: Making my AAR handle [Re: autoxcuda] #430615
08/08/09 11:25 PM
08/08/09 11:25 PM
T
ThermoQuad Offline
top fuel
ThermoQuad  Offline
top fuel
T

How much money have you allocated for making an AAR handle like it is suppose too? Street?? Road Course??? How much money???

First money spent is for tires, wheels, shocks and brakes. 15 inch wheels limit the tire choices severely to the point of why bother. Tires really really count. Is this a fashion show or are we going to do some apexing?

Tires/wheels & shocks are where you start. 16x8 wheels on 4.5 offset. 255-50-16 v rated tires.
Is this a fashion show or are we going to do some corner carving?? You don't need expensive calipers to stop or rear wheel disc brakes either.

There are better ways to spend your money than a "package" as one size does not fit all. I spent about $5600.00 on hardware including tires and wheels [$2200..]and it the set up I have now was accomplished incrementally over several years..
It works well as the car does not drive like a race car on the street yet drives the track like a race car...

My predator [barracuda] would love a big piece of watermelon...

Re: Making my AAR handle [Re: ThermoQuad] #430616
08/08/09 11:44 PM
08/08/09 11:44 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
jcc  Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
J

Bitopia
Quote:

How much money have you allocated for making an AAR handle like it is suppose too? Street?? Road Course??? How much money???

First money spent is for tires, wheels, shocks and brakes. 15 inch wheels limit the tire choices severely to the point of why bother. Tires really really count. Is this a fashion show or are we going to do some apexing?

Tires/wheels & shocks are where you start. 16x8 wheels on 4.5 offset. 255-50-16 v rated tires.
Is this a fashion show or are we going to do some corner carving?? You don't need expensive calipers to stop or rear wheel disc brakes either.

There are better ways to spend your money than a "package" as one size does not fit all. I spent about $5600.00 on hardware including tires and wheels [$2200..]and it the set up I have now was accomplished incrementally over several years..
It works well as the car does not drive like a race car on the street yet drives the track like a race car...

My predator [barracuda] would love a big piece of watermelon...

, but he did mention "handling" and " not road course" use I believe. He also mentioned his train of thought I believe got started after driving his friends Vette, if it was a ZO6, then just sell the AAR. However one thing not mentioned yet is street driving a 15" Bias tire vs a radial in the wet, its just scary IMO, especially a nice AAR driven hard with wide tires and no ABS.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3