08/05/09 07:35 PM
08/05/09 07:35 PM
hi
sharpie Offline OP
Moparts Linguist
sharpie  Offline OP
Moparts Linguist

hi
I can't think of anything else to do to diagnose. I am literally pulling my hair out, and on the verge of sticking a "For Sale" sign in the back window of the car, all because of the frustration this engine is causing me.

This is the roller motor 5.9L Magnum with a .520/.544 Hughes cam, stock lifters/valvetrain/pushrods, RHS heads, and stock valves.

It has a very loud ticking. Some days I can pinpoint it to the valvetrain, other times, it sounds like it's coming from the carb, and still other times it sounds like it's coming from the distributor or coil. It moves around. But now, there is another issue: the ticking gets much louder than at idle when at about 1500RPM, and accompanying it is a misfire. The misfire can NOT be heard at idle, though the engine does run rough. This is both with an Edelbrock carb or a Holley carb, both 650s. I guess my carb rebuilds could have been bad, and the misfire sounds kind of random, in the way that it's not always a certain cylinder misfiring (I think?).

Since I previous had valvetrain issues, I pulled each valve cover and inspected the pushrods, rockers, and valve springs. All *seem* to check out. I say *seem* because I have no precise measurement tools (nor can I afford any, so don't ask). Summary of the valvetrain:

• Torque specs are correct on rocker arm bolts
  • Not even a .010" feeler gauge fits between the valve stem and rocker arm
  • No cracks, premature wear, or other damage to note on the rocker arms
  • Lifters look fine visually and don't move when I press on them with a pushrod (I've heard from multiple sources that this is good, and others say it's bad?)

So I decided to check the plugs and wires. The plugs are wet-fouled a little (gasoline, not oil), but they're fine otherwise. No carbon-fouling. The spark plug wires are all in their correct order, and timing seems to be generally good. At least good enough where it shouldn't run really rough. The only problem I do get is that when I pull #4's spark plug boot, I get a nasty shock. Even when I'm holding the silicone. This has happened on another cylinder too (I forget which one) Summary for ignition system:

• spark plugs minimally wet-fouled, but no carbon fouling
  • spark plug wires are in the correct order on distributor
  • ignition system getting correct voltage and resistance before and after the ballast resistor
  • spark plug wires have a tendency to shock
  • timing is in the general vicinity

I got a semi-credible tip saying that maybe I have a bent valve on cylinder #5 from the bent pushrod and sheared rocker that I suffered earlier (which has since been fixed). Since I don't own a leakdown test kit, I tried a compression check on three cylinders on a cold engine. I checked #1 and #3 first to get a baseline, and each maxed at about 160psi. I then tested #5, and what do ya know, 160psi the darn thing reads. I suppose I could do a leakdown, but I don't know anyone who could let me borrow the kit and show me how to test it properly. Summary of the cylinders:
  • compression on #1, #3, and #5 was all reading about 160psi
  • piston rings seem to have seated, as there is no oil fouling the plugs

Anyone have any other diagnostic methods to find out where the ticking and misfire are coming from?

I fear that soon I will be removing the intake and the head to check out the lifters in more detail, and I really don't have the interest for it. If it comes to that, the car may just be sold or the engine will come out and go back onto a stand and be rebuilt again. I'm unhappy with an automatic transmission behind it anyway.

Re: Ticking now comes with misfire at 1200RPM and higher... [Re: sharpie] #429355
08/05/09 07:42 PM
08/05/09 07:42 PM
Montana
F
FuryUs Offline
master
FuryUs  Offline
master
F

Montana
Quote:

I fear that soon I will be removing the intake and the head to check out the lifters in more detail, and I really don't have the interest for it. If it comes to that, the car may just be sold or the engine will come out and go back onto a stand and be rebuilt again. I'm unhappy with an automatic transmission behind it anyway.

Wow! What happens if the paint gets scratched? Totalled?
If the plugs are wet, change them. Do a compression test on all cylinders. Check the inside of the distributor crack for signs of arcing between terminals--what do you have for an ignition system? And you don't have to remove the heads to pull the lifters.

Re: Ticking now comes with misfire at 1200RPM and higher... [Re: sharpie] #429356
08/05/09 07:51 PM
08/05/09 07:51 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
on the misfire you might pull the wet plugs & dry them w a shot of starting fluid & see if that takes care of the misfire

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Re: Ticking now comes with misfire at 1200RPM and higher... [Re: FuryUs] #429357
08/05/09 07:54 PM
08/05/09 07:54 PM
hi
sharpie Offline OP
Moparts Linguist
sharpie  Offline OP
Moparts Linguist

hi
I have a Mopar Performance ignition system. MP distributor, orange box, ballast. Pertronix epoxy-filled Flamethrower coil. BWD spark plug wires from O'Reilly.

The plugs are now fine. All have been cleaned and lightly scotch-brited on the metal areas so it will be conducive to a spark situation. By fouling, I meant there were two drops of gasoline on them or so.

As for the lifters, you can't get them out unless the head is off - they're too tall otherwise.

Re: Ticking now comes with misfire at 1200RPM and higher... [Re: sharpie] #429358
08/05/09 08:07 PM
08/05/09 08:07 PM
chicagoland,usa
B
buildanother Offline
I Live Here
buildanother  Offline
I Live Here
B

chicagoland,usa
Is the retainer plate for sure on front of block, to hold cam in place?

Re: Ticking now comes with misfire at 1200RPM and higher... [Re: buildanother] #429359
08/05/09 08:10 PM
08/05/09 08:10 PM
hi
sharpie Offline OP
Moparts Linguist
sharpie  Offline OP
Moparts Linguist

hi
Yes, it is there. I put it there myself even and torqued them down with locktight

Re: Ticking now comes with misfire at 1200RPM and higher... [Re: sharpie] #429360
08/05/09 08:11 PM
08/05/09 08:11 PM
Eagle, Idaho
Neil Offline
The Doctor is in.
Neil  Offline
The Doctor is in.

Eagle, Idaho
Bad plug wire on number four since you say it's shocking you when you touch it? Start it up when it's pitch black out and look for arcing coming out of the plug wires, particularly wire #4. Got another plug wire you can try out? If not then move the suspect wire to the other side of the engine and see if the miss doesn't follow it around.

A wire with a hole in the outer sleeve will create a missfire condition since the current is going to your header tube, valve cover, or whatever else happens to be be conductive that's close to the hole. You can read the resistance on spark plug wires with a meter too if you have one.

BTW you can start the car with one wire off at a time and not hurt anything, beats shocking yourself.

If you had a bent valve problem your compression test would have shown that right away with a big fat zero on the guage - don't think that's the issue here.

Carburetors can't really cause a missfire unless it's a dual plane and one jet is plugged. If that were the case the car would run so rough you'd have a hard time even getting it to idle.

Re: Ticking now comes with misfire at 1200RPM and higher... [Re: Neil] #429361
08/05/09 08:16 PM
08/05/09 08:16 PM
hi
sharpie Offline OP
Moparts Linguist
sharpie  Offline OP
Moparts Linguist

hi
I suppose it could be the carb problem then. Until something goes right (don't know what), it does in fact have a hard time idling. And it is a dual-plane Edelbrock air-gap on top.

Re: Ticking now comes with misfire at 1200RPM and higher... [Re: sharpie] #429362
08/05/09 08:20 PM
08/05/09 08:20 PM
Eagle, Idaho
Neil Offline
The Doctor is in.
Neil  Offline
The Doctor is in.

Eagle, Idaho
Your carburetors(s) can't cause a single cylinder to act up at any rpm range. Go after the plug wires first and see what you have going on there.

Re: Ticking now comes with misfire at 1200RPM and higher... [Re: Neil] #429363
08/05/09 10:04 PM
08/05/09 10:04 PM
Kalispell Mt.
H
HotRodDave Offline
I Live Here
HotRodDave  Offline
I Live Here
H

Kalispell Mt.
I second (or third or fourth) the motion to replace the plug wires, they should not be shocking you. Get some fire wires from sunroof GTX.

I would also replace the plugs instead of just cleaning them. I would use good plugs like NGK, don't waste money on platinums and set the gap to .040-.045 the hotter ignition will fire accross a bigger gap and the bigger gap it has to jump the hotter the spark will be and the better it will light the fire and the better it will keep the plug clean.

What is happening is the plug can fire under light load like idle but as soon as it gets more load it fouls out a plug or 2 randomly and it cleans up the next time it gets reved and another one does it. The plug wires are the spot of least resistance when the load gets high so you need to fix that leak. Think of it like a cracked PVC pipe with a spigot on the end, when there is no resistance on the end from the spigot water flows fine, when you start increasing resistance then the crack in the pipe(plug wire) opens up and the water leaks out.

I am not causing global warming, I am just trying to hold off a impending Ice Age!

Re: Ticking now comes with misfire at 1200RPM and higher... [Re: HotRodDave] #429364
08/06/09 12:10 AM
08/06/09 12:10 AM
Montana
P
Posest Offline
super stock
Posest  Offline
super stock
P

Montana
I agree with Dave. Once a plug is fouled throw it away. I went against my own advice and re used a set in my Dakota. Used them to plug the cylinders when going in with the engine. Had a slight miss at 2K and up. Put new plugs in and slight miss is gone. It was just a slight sputter but still there and bothering me. The open hood at night trick works real well. I have found several bad wires this way.

Re: Ticking now comes with misfire at 1200RPM and higher... [Re: Posest] #429365
08/06/09 12:41 AM
08/06/09 12:41 AM
WA 98043
thecarfarmer Offline
super stock
thecarfarmer  Offline
super stock

WA 98043
FWIW, if a plug wire shocks you, it's failed.

And, it can make a 'tick'.

Do I know for a fact that it's your problem... no. But, I do know it is a problem which should be fixed regardless. And if it doesn't solve the problem, then it's ruled out.

Hope it cures it it.

-Bill

Seduce the attractive, and charm the rest. ****** 489 C.I.D., roller cam, aftermarket heads, tunnel ram, stock '54 Dodge rear axle assembly: which of these doesn't belong?
Re: Ticking now comes with misfire at 1200RPM and higher... [Re: thecarfarmer] #429366
08/06/09 01:43 AM
08/06/09 01:43 AM
San Clemente, ca
enelson Offline
mopar addict
enelson  Offline
mopar addict

San Clemente, ca
sounds like you should do plug wires first. Get good ones so you can have em a while. I think it cost me 50-90$ for pliers and a make-my-own set of msd red ?mm set a few years ago and they've served me well and left me with tons of extra parts to fix anything I need to.

I'm in sacramento, and have a spare msd 6a if you wanna swap ignition systems, but I doubt it's a box. Most likely parts and shocks are never good.

Hit me up on PM and I'd be happy to help if I'm not bumping the thread.

Re: Ticking now comes with misfire at 1200RPM and higher... [Re: enelson] #429367
08/06/09 01:45 AM
08/06/09 01:45 AM
San Clemente, ca
enelson Offline
mopar addict
enelson  Offline
mopar addict

San Clemente, ca
Oh yea, good luck!

And check those header gaskets with a stethescope or broomstick, you might be hearing them accompanied by misfires

Re: Ticking now comes with misfire at 1200RPM and higher... [Re: sharpie] #429368
08/06/09 07:34 AM
08/06/09 07:34 AM
Upper Midwest
M
MoparforLife Offline
Too Many Posts
MoparforLife  Offline
Too Many Posts
M

Upper Midwest
Quote:

This is the roller motor 5.9L Magnum with a .520/.544 Hughes cam, stock lifters/valvetrain/pushrods, RHS heads, and stock valves.
Not even a .010" feeler gauge fits between the valve stem and rocker arm

For starters with a hydraulic roller lifter motor you should have preload not lash and you should therefore not be able to any feeler gauge between the rocker and valve stem.
Did you use the valve springs that are compatable withthat cam lift and did you check for coil bind. Alos did you check to make sure that you have enough cleanarance between the valve spring retainer and the valve guide and seal so that it does not hit. In boththe above instances you need at least (preferabley more) .060 more travel at full valve lift if you don't you have potential problems and could very well do as you have explained your problem.

Re: Ticking now comes with misfire at 1200RPM and higher... [Re: MoparforLife] #429369
08/06/09 10:07 AM
08/06/09 10:07 AM
Kalispell Mt.
H
HotRodDave Offline
I Live Here
HotRodDave  Offline
I Live Here
H

Kalispell Mt.
I caught that too about the valve lash, just forgot to type it

I am not causing global warming, I am just trying to hold off a impending Ice Age!

Re: Ticking now comes with misfire at 1200RPM and higher... [Re: MoparforLife] #429370
08/06/09 10:38 AM
08/06/09 10:38 AM
Grand Haven, MI
patrick Offline
I Live Here
patrick  Offline
I Live Here

Grand Haven, MI
Quote:

Quote:

Not even a .010" feeler gauge fits between the valve stem and rocker arm

For starters with a hydraulic roller lifter motor you should have preload not lash and you should therefore not be able to any feeler gauge between the rocker and valve stem.
Did you use the valve springs that are compatable withthat cam lift and did you check for coil bind. Alos did you check to make sure that you have enough cleanarance between the valve spring retainer and the valve guide and seal so that it does not hit. In boththe above instances you need at least (preferabley more) .060 more travel at full valve lift if you don't you have potential problems and could very well do as you have explained your problem.

Don has some good points. when I originally read this thread (especially about the part of the bent pushrod), I thought of maybe coil bind or other hard interference. .544" is A LOT of lift for a magnum style head. my OEM magnum heads had .54" of travel before the seal hit the valve locks, about .57" after the valve job (where I asked to sink the seats a little for more installed height). for your lift, Ideally you'd want at least .58" or more.

I presume you're running hughes 1110 springs? I measured stock springs and they only have about .480" travel before coil bind, and are very soft w/low seat pressure, and wouldn't be able to control an aggressive lobe like the hughes cam has. I am running 1110 springs with 2.2L retainers and magnum locks. I only got 1.60" IH before the valve job (~1.63-1.64" after). The hughes springs coil bind at 1.04, so I had .56" (now .59-.6") travel before coil bind. I'm running a cam with .506" lift. with your cam I'd want AT LEAST .59" travel, preferably .6-.61".

another possibility is the magnum hydraulic lifters don't have a lot of plunger travel, only in the .060" range. maybe with all the parts swapping, head gasket thickness, if the heads or deck were milled, if the valves were sunk, the new cam's base circle, etc, maybe your pushrods are either too long or too short. to short, you might not have enough preload on the cam's base circle, making the ticking noise, which shouldn't affect idle quality, unless the pushrod pops out of the lifter or pushrod cup and bends. Too long, and you may have excessive preload to where it bottoms the plunger and hangs a valve open, or where a valve hangs open if a lifter pumps up.

I lucked out (kinda) with my build, virgin LA318 roller shortblock, uncut (AFAIK) magnum heads, magnum rockers & lifters, and reground LA roller cam (base circle reduced ~.060 to up the lobe lift from ~.26" to .316"), and valves sunk .030" (which raised the height of the valve tip, requiring shorter pushrods) everything worked out that the stock magnum pushrods put my lifter preload right at .020-.030", about mid travel of the plunger. I say I lucked out only kinda, because I had already bought a set of 6.936" pushrods (stock according to my '97 FSM are 6.9-6.916") figuring I'd need longer pushrods with the reduced base circle cam.

and as someone else mentioned about the tick. make sure it's not an exhaust leak. a lot of times they sound like a lifter/valvetrain tick.

another thought on the miss/poor running. double check the reluctor gap in the distributor. it should be .008" measured with a brass feeler guage.

one other thought, when you put this together, did you check valve to piston clearance? .544" is a lot of lift for stock pistons w/o valve reliefs....I wonder if the valve is kissing the piston?

Last edited by patrick; 08/06/09 10:43 AM.

1976 Spinnaker White Plymouth Duster, /6 A833OD
1986 Silver/Twilight Blue Chrysler 5th Ave HotRod **SOLD!***
2011 Toxic Orange Dodge Charger R/T
2017 Grand Cherokee Overland
2014 Jeep Cherokee Latitude (holy crap, my daughter is driving)
Re: Ticking now comes with misfire at 1200RPM and higher... [Re: patrick] #429371
08/06/09 12:48 PM
08/06/09 12:48 PM
hi
sharpie Offline OP
Moparts Linguist
sharpie  Offline OP
Moparts Linguist

hi
Well I have an update kind of, but some clarification, too. The engine ran fine, sans ticking or misfiring, up until the day I broke that rocker arm bolt. After that, since I switched back to the Holley carb and repaired the rocker arm bolt, it's been acting up.

I am running a combo that, straight from Hughes' collective mouth, "would be fine". I am running 1278 retainers, 1110 springs, and stock locks with the stock lifters, pushrods, rockers, and valves. My valves shouldn't be bottoming out if they're still straight, as not only am I running RHS heads which have a larger dome height than stock, but I am running Speed Pro pistons with four valve reliefs milled into the face.

The minor update was that yesterday I decided to clean up and reinstall the Edelbrock Performer carb I am borrowing. It's a 1405 with non-adjustable floats. I slapped it on and the car not only doesn't idle rough anymore, much of the ticking went away. Even more, the misfire at 1200+RPM is only very slight right now, probably due to the spark plug wires (I'd guess).

What's left of the ticking I can attribute much of it to a leaky exhaust system. I have been a bad boy and never got my exhaust system welded up; it's still clamped together. I figure that I can live with the subtle ticking right now until I get the exhaust welded up, and then I will re-evaluate there. I drove it around yesterday a bit, and I found that it's running easily three times better than it was the day before.

I still have a lot of diagnosis to do on the wires, the misfire, the valvetrain noise which is there but subtle, but I'm feeling a lot better about it. It really helps when you have working parts on your car!

Re: Ticking now comes with misfire at 1200RPM and higher... [Re: sharpie] #429372
08/06/09 03:50 PM
08/06/09 03:50 PM
Arlington, Texas
B
bobby66 Offline
master
bobby66  Offline
master
B

Arlington, Texas
Quote:

Well I have an update kind of, but some clarification, too. The engine ran fine, sans ticking or misfiring, up until the day I broke that rocker arm bolt. After that, since I switched back to the Holley carb and repaired the rocker arm bolt, it's been acting up.

I am running a combo that, straight from Hughes' collective mouth, "would be fine". I am running 1278 retainers, 1110 springs, and stock locks with the stock lifters, pushrods, rockers, and valves. My valves shouldn't be bottoming out if they're still straight, as not only am I running RHS heads which have a larger dome height than stock, but I am running Speed Pro pistons with four valve reliefs milled into the face.

The minor update was that yesterday I decided to clean up and reinstall the Edelbrock Performer carb I am borrowing. It's a 1405 with non-adjustable floats. I slapped it on and the car not only doesn't idle rough anymore, much of the ticking went away. Even more, the misfire at 1200+RPM is only very slight right now, probably due to the spark plug wires (I'd guess).

What's left of the ticking I can attribute much of it to a leaky exhaust system. I have been a bad boy and never got my exhaust system welded up; it's still clamped together. I figure that I can live with the subtle ticking right now until I get the exhaust welded up, and then I will re-evaluate there. I drove it around yesterday a bit, and I found that it's running easily three times better than it was the day before.

I still have a lot of diagnosis to do on the wires, the misfire, the valvetrain noise which is there but subtle, but I'm feeling a lot better about it. It really helps when you have working parts on your car!

The floats on that 1405 are adjustable. You bend them to the correct height and drop settings.

Re: Ticking now comes with misfire at 1200RPM and higher... [Re: bobby66] #429373
08/06/09 04:16 PM
08/06/09 04:16 PM
hi
sharpie Offline OP
Moparts Linguist
sharpie  Offline OP
Moparts Linguist

hi
Yeah, but assuming they've been set up correctly either by Edelbrock or the previous owner, it's one less thing I can screw up!

Page 1 of 2 1 2