06/15/07 03:55 AM
06/15/07 03:55 AM
Turku, Finland
Forwardlook Offline
master
Forwardlook  Offline
master

Turku, Finland
Well, I have been in Tulsa for 14 hours now. I've seen the crane crew preparing the lift, talked to a woman who was present when the car was put into the vault, refused to be in a picture with Boyd, seen quite a few '57-'58 Plymouths and talked with people from all over the US as well as all over the world.

What sums up the whole thing best is what a gentleman from Forwardlook.net said.

"It's going to be beautiful"

No matter in what kind of a shape the car will be in it will be a unique moment in history for Mopar fans from all over the globe and Forward Look fans in particular. No matter what kind of a shape the car will be in it will still be a '57 Plymouth Belvedere 2dHT and that is simply beautiful. It will be a tribute to Virgil Exner who is regarded by many to be the greatest car designer ever. There are so many people here that when learning about the car for the first time instantly thought "I'm going to be there!" I can relate to the hardcore MoPar guy from New Zealand who had to take a sizeable loan to be here as I had to do the same. It doesn't matter. It will probably be one the greatest events ever. It is like the MoPar thing in general, if you have to ask you wouldn't understand.

It's all good, it's simply beautiful.

Hans

Re: Official Tulsa Buried 57 Plymouth Raising Thread 6- [Re: Forwardlook] #42282
06/15/07 06:15 AM
06/15/07 06:15 AM
Cold Spring, NY
1970GTX Offline
master
1970GTX  Offline
master

Cold Spring, NY
Well written Hans. If I had the time, I'd be out there. I'm glad however, that through modern technology, I can enjoy the event too.

Enjoy!

Jim

Re: Official Tulsa Buried 57 Plymouth Raising Thread 6- [Re: 1970GTX] #42283
06/15/07 08:05 AM
06/15/07 08:05 AM
o
C
ChryCoGuy Offline
master
ChryCoGuy  Offline
master
C

o
Quote:

Well written Hans. If I had the time, I'd be out there. I'm glad however, that through modern technology, I can enjoy the event too.

Enjoy!

Jim

Re: Official Tulsa Buried 57 Plymouth Raising Thread 6- [Re: 1970GTX] #42284
06/15/07 08:16 AM
06/15/07 08:16 AM
Flint, MI
Gusteve Offline
I Love the Unicorn Song!!
Gusteve  Offline
I Love the Unicorn Song!!

Flint, MI
Quote:

Not to be a nattering nabob of negativism - but:

I'm calling it right now that KOTV's servers don't have the bandwidth for a live stream that would support an unexpectedly large number of simultaneous connections....

Re: Official Tulsa Buried 57 Plymouth Raising Thread 6- [Re: Spike] #42285
06/15/07 08:28 AM
06/15/07 08:28 AM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Quote:

I agree with digging it up, unwrapping it and letting the chips lay where they may. If you need a test run to pull it out, do it that day for all to see. This is a history time capsule, no need to hide it.

you guys need to think about what is involved with this type of job ... OHSA, the EPA , UNIONS ...

but seriously , i can see why they opened it a day or 2 earlier , it was long, drawn out process to just get the top off the thing without it breaking into pieces and falling on the roof of the car , how funny would that have been ? how long would people stand there to watch them dig the hole take off the top , pump out the water yada yada yada , even if it was free ... ????

some of the water in that hole was ADDED by the process of opening it up also , they showed pics of them sawing the cover into sections correct ? concrete cutting involves spraying water on the blade to cool it and as a lubricant ...

Last edited by JohnRR; 06/15/07 08:30 AM.
Re: Official Tulsa Buried 57 Plymouth Raising Thread 6- [Re: JohnRR] #42286
06/15/07 08:46 AM
06/15/07 08:46 AM
o
C
ChryCoGuy Offline
master
ChryCoGuy  Offline
master
C

o
Quote:

Quote:

I agree with digging it up, unwrapping it and letting the chips lay where they may. If you need a test run to pull it out, do it that day for all to see. This is a history time capsule, no need to hide it.

but seriously , i can see why they opened it a day or 2 earlier , it was long, drawn out process to just get the top off the thing without it breaking into pieces and falling on the roof of the car , how funny would that have been ? how long would people stand there to watch them dig the hole take off the top , pump out the water yada yada yada , even if it was free ... ????

That's true... only the most diehard of car fanatics would be willing to stand out there for hours while they went through the painstaking process of all that. Especially if the weather's not good.

Plus, they had to check everything out beforehand to make sure that it would go without disaster... imagine if the steel skid was too rusty and broke while they were lifting the car.

Re: Official Tulsa Buried 57 Plymouth Raising Thread 6- [Re: JohnRR] #42287
06/15/07 08:53 AM
06/15/07 08:53 AM
tulsa ok
U
upnover Offline
top fuel
upnover  Offline
top fuel
U

tulsa ok
is there a common hotel that everyone is staying at, i'd like to see some of the cars that drove in for the unearthing.

Re: Official Tulsa Buried 57 Plymouth Raising Thread 6- [Re: upnover] #42288
06/15/07 09:24 AM
06/15/07 09:24 AM
Slantytown
DUFFMAN Offline
Ask And Ye Shall Receive
DUFFMAN  Offline
Ask And Ye Shall Receive

Slantytown
Man it's quite. I did a couple of quick google searches and haven't "unearthed" anything new. I guess not much is going to happen until noon now.

No longer taking $h!t from anyone!
Re: Official Tulsa Buried 57 Plymouth Raising Thread 6- [Re: JohnRR] #42289
06/15/07 09:25 AM
06/15/07 09:25 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Quote:

some of the water in that hole was ADDED by the process of opening it up also , they showed pics of them sawing the cover into sections correct ? concrete cutting involves spraying water on the blade to cool it and as a lubricant ...

True, but I don't think it would cause the fin section that is shown to be open to look the same color as the plastic on the outside.

Anyway, we will know soon the shape of this car. And please don't take this as fact, I'm just reporting what was said on another site for what ever that's worth.

Quote:

My sources say they peeked under the tarp... floors and trunk are gone...

We will see soon enough. But as posted many times here, it's not really about the car. It's good times. I only wish I could have went to see this first hand and meet so many die-hards of this era of Mopars....and all Mopars in general.

Re: Official Tulsa Buried 57 Plymouth Raising Thread 6- #42290
06/15/07 09:33 AM
06/15/07 09:33 AM
Almost Heaven
B_Body_Bob Offline
Master of nothing
B_Body_Bob  Offline
Master of nothing

Almost Heaven
Quote:

Quote:

True, but I don't think it would cause the fin section that is shown to be open to look the same color as the plastic on the outside.

Or the waterlines on the wall all the way to the top.

Everybody makes fun of a hillbilly until they need something fixed
Re: Official Tulsa Buried 57 Plymouth Raising Thread 6- [Re: upnover] #42291
06/15/07 09:34 AM
06/15/07 09:34 AM
Tulsa, OK
73cudaproject Offline
super stock
73cudaproject  Offline
super stock

Tulsa, OK
FYI if you are looking for other activities this weekend in and around Tulsa the Shelby people are having the "Shelby Mid-America Meet" at Hallett Motor Racing Circuit which is a very nice road racing track. In addtion the Mid America Ford Performance & Shelby Meet is occuring at the Tulsa Raceway Park for drag racing. They parking/showing their cars at the Tulsa Marriott® Southern Hills, 1902 East 71st. This is kind of a cool event to race both at Hallett and at Tulsa Raceway Park, plus the car show at the Marriott.

Re: Official Tulsa Buried 57 Plymouth Raising Thread 6- [Re: Forwardlook] #42292
06/15/07 09:37 AM
06/15/07 09:37 AM
Tulsa, OK
73cudaproject Offline
super stock
73cudaproject  Offline
super stock

Tulsa, OK
Hans are all the Forwardlook cars already in the convention center? If not I heard about a parade but have no details. Glad to hear you arrived.

Re: Official Tulsa Buried 57 Plymouth Raising Thread 6- [Re: B_Body_Bob] #42293
06/15/07 09:38 AM
06/15/07 09:38 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Yeah, and that.

Re: Official Tulsa Buried 57 Plymouth Raising Thread 6- #42294
06/15/07 09:39 AM
06/15/07 09:39 AM
Montreal,Quebec,Canada
J
JulesdaWiperman Offline
super gas
JulesdaWiperman  Offline
super gas
J

Montreal,Quebec,Canada
I wonder what would be said about us if we buried a car today and had it unearthed in 2057.
Would we be commented about the technology we used that we consider high tech today.
Makes you wonder how times change.
We must all remember that nature is a very powerful force. Sometimes very quick ( hurricanes) sometimes very
slow. Personally I feel the car is doomed. Rusted beyond belief. I think it has been swimming for at least 49 years.
Hope I am wrong.
Jules

Re: Official Tulsa Buried 57 Plymouth Raising Thread 6- [Re: B_Body_Bob] #42295
06/15/07 09:43 AM
06/15/07 09:43 AM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

no i'm not saying that the water was only from the cutting operation , but i'll bet some of that SHEEN on top of the water was also created by the lube they used to cut the concrete , but oil back then was in cardboard containers so i'm guessing that those disintergrated after X amount of water cycles .

Re: Official Tulsa Buried 57 Plymouth Raising Thread 6- [Re: JohnRR] #42296
06/15/07 09:47 AM
06/15/07 09:47 AM
Looking for a way out of Middl...
IMGTX Offline
I Live Here
IMGTX  Offline
I Live Here

Looking for a way out of Middl...
The process of removal takes more than a couple of hours. Somebody probably had the insight to think... Hey what do we do if the car is toast? They knew something would be there but didn't know what it would be for sure.

They did what they had to do. They slowly opened it, accessed the situation and made sure that they could lift it out.

I have two disapointments.

1. They should have covered up the courthouse windows and put up a privacy fence first. They should have kept it secret. I guess they figured they would build suspense but it just got all the hens clucking instead.

2. I wish it would not have been so water logged. It was to be expected but I still had those little kid anticipations of it being pristine. I knew better but still....

Heck I would love to have it rust bucket or not. It is probalbly the only low miles 57 Plymouth left. I see a cool chance at a nice restoration. I've seen terible cars pulled from woods or from on top of barrels that turned out quite nice. It may be totally toast but it may not. We will find out later today.

Re: Official Tulsa Buried 57 Plymouth Raising Thread 6- [Re: JulesdaWiperman] #42297
06/15/07 09:49 AM
06/15/07 09:49 AM
Tampa, FL
N
nomopar&sad Offline
nomopar&sad  Offline
N

Tampa, FL
Quote:

I wonder what would be said about us if we buried a car today and had it unearthed in 2057.
Would we be commented about the technology we used that we consider high tech today.
Makes you wonder how times change.
We must all remember that nature is a very powerful force. Sometimes very quick ( hurricanes) sometimes very
slow. Personally I feel the car is doomed. Rusted beyond belief. I think it has been swimming for at least 49 years.
Hope I am wrong.
Jules

Someone on the MML just stated that in 1998 they buried a 98 Prowler in Tulsa to be opened in 2048.

I'll be 68 years old then, hopefully.

Clint I'm looking for a mopar! Not much $$ (<4k) & in florida! Past mopars: 1973 Dodge Dart Sport "Convertriple" & 1976 Dodge Dart "Lite"
Re: Official Tulsa Buried 57 Plymouth Raising Thread 6- [Re: JohnRR] #42298
06/15/07 09:51 AM
06/15/07 09:51 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

no i'm not saying that the water was only from the cutting operation , but i'll bet some of that SHEEN on top of the water was also created by the lube they used to cut the concrete , but oil back then was in cardboard containers so i'm guessing that those disintergrated after X amount of water cycles .

Ok, yes. I agree with you on that. That was my first thought as well when I saw the sheen of oils/gas.

I saw a pic somewhere in this thread...I believe it was a video made of pics where you can see them draining the gas out of the old girl. There is no way that after 50 years that "sheen" is still there from the car after 50 years. Especially when you can clearly see that the water was to the top. Maybe several times during those 50 years. Many times of flush and repeat.

Again, I see what you are saying and I agree.

Re: Official Tulsa Buried 57 Plymouth Raising Thread 6- [Re: IMGTX] #42299
06/15/07 09:57 AM
06/15/07 09:57 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Quote:

1. They should have covered up the courthouse windows and put up a privacy fence first. They should have kept it secret. I guess they figured they would build suspense but it just got all the hens clucking instead.

They should have wrapped a bag around the whole courthouse area so nothing could be compromised like they did the Belvedere.

Sorry, I couldn't help myself. That was a joke. A bad one at that.

Edit: It just shows you we haven't made it far after 50 years.

Last edited by Valiant360_69; 06/15/07 10:01 AM.
Re: Official Tulsa Buried 57 Plymouth Raising Thread 6- [Re: upnover] #42300
06/15/07 10:14 AM
06/15/07 10:14 AM
Seminole County FL to Plymouth...
Barry70GTX Offline
super stock
Barry70GTX  Offline
super stock

Seminole County FL to Plymouth...
We are at the Double Tree downtown and there are about 25 to 30 50's Mopars in the parking garage.

NMCA NSS 67 Coronet
Page 22 of 62 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 61 62