A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

So now I've left Tulsa and have some time to reflect on the weekend and a few of the posts here.

I don't know why there is so much disappointed energy running through this site. Sure, it would have been nice to see a nicely preserved car emerge from the hole, but that's not what happened. This event is about the optimism of the people of 1957 and the future of Tulsa, OK. This was before we became a nation as we know it today (48 states during that time). It was before the tragedy of Vietnam and subsequent wars. No feminist manifesto had ever been written yet. And this little frontier city did something that represented a quintessential moment for that time. It's all about our history and the celebration of America before she took that hit of LSD and got all weary. Now she's got crow's feet around her eyes and she's not as idealistic as she used to be, but she's also a better America for it. So why can't we recognize what just went down in Tulsa, OK instead of having to speculate, criticize, and what-not? I had a nice time, I enjoyed meeting Perry and Tim, and there even was a Shelby/Ford event that added to the fun. I wish more of you could have witnessed the unique experience instead of the tainted cuppa joe that seems to be eminating from this site.

Do you have a problem with freedom of speech? It sure seems that way. Everyone has a right to express their opinion, whether you agree with it or not. Diversity of opinion, and the freedom to express it, is what makes this country great.

Diego, pay no mind to the likes of DusterDave. I know he is exactly the type of person expounding all that negative energy that you were referring to.

Sounds like it was an awesome event and that you had a great time.

Re: Official Tulsa Buried 57 Plymouth Raising Thread 6- [Re: Diego (not Ted)] #43062
06/17/07 07:24 PM
06/17/07 07:24 PM
Missouri
StrokerPost Offline
master
StrokerPost  Offline
master

Missouri
Quote:

So now I've left Tulsa and have some time to reflect on the weekend and a few of the posts here.

I don't know why there is so much disappointed energy running through this site. Sure, it would have been nice to see a nicely preserved car emerge from the hole, but that's not what happened. This event is about the optimism of the people of 1957 and the future of Tulsa, OK. This was before we became a nation as we know it today (48 states during that time). It was before the tragedy of Vietnam and subsequent wars. No feminist manifesto had ever been written yet. And this little frontier city did something that represented a quintessential moment for that time. It's all about our history and the celebration of America before she took that hit of LSD and got all weary. Now she's got crow's feet around her eyes and she's not as idealistic as she used to be, but she's also a better America for it. So why can't we recognize what just went down in Tulsa, OK instead of having to speculate, criticize, and what-not? I had a nice time, I enjoyed meeting Perry and Tim, and there even was a Shelby/Ford event that added to the fun. I wish more of you could have witnessed the unique experience instead of the tainted cuppa joe that seems to be eminating from this site.

WOW! If I didnt know better I'd think you were a columnist for a newspaper or something. Very well said, but, car people and their opinions are as diff as the cars they love. I tend to agree with you, this was a VERY cool event, but it wasnt about the car, it was about Tulsa OK and its people. Heres to all you Okies.

Re: Official Tulsa Buried 57 Plymouth Raising Thread 6- #43063
06/17/07 08:04 PM
06/17/07 08:04 PM
Gabba Gabba Hey! NYC
Diego (not Ted) Offline
Too Many Posts
Diego (not Ted)  Offline
Too Many Posts

Gabba Gabba Hey! NYC
Quote:

I know he is exactly the type of person expounding all that negative energy that you were referring to.

Maybe so.

Either way, the issue of freedom of speech involves the government and its power to restrict the expression of the people, so what he said is pretty much moot. He's just looking for some way in to knock me.

Re: Official Tulsa Buried 57 Plymouth Raising Thread 6- [Re: Diego (not Ted)] #43064
06/17/07 08:06 PM
06/17/07 08:06 PM
the boonies
aarcuda Offline
I Live Here
aarcuda  Offline
I Live Here

the boonies
Quote:

I don't know why there is so much disappointed energy running through this site.

ummmm, cause the car is a rusted heap and everyone was hoping for a nice shiney car to come out.

Thats what dissapointment is- expecting or hoping for something and getting something thats destroyed.

other than that, Im glad they had fun!

It's got a cop motor, a 440 cubic inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas.
Re: Official Tulsa Buried 57 Plymouth Raising Thread 6- [Re: aarcuda] #43065
06/17/07 08:15 PM
06/17/07 08:15 PM
On The Boat, On The Lake, Wa. ...
amxautox Offline
Still Retired. Still Posting on Moparts. A Lot.
amxautox  Offline
Still Retired. Still Posting on Moparts. A Lot.

On The Boat, On The Lake, Wa. ...
Anyone hear who won the car? And what they are gonna do with it?

Tom

"Everyone should believe in something; I believe I'll go fishing."

-Henry David Thoreau

Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths

author unknown

Re: Official Tulsa Buried 57 Plymouth Raising Thread 6- [Re: StrokerPost] #43066
06/17/07 08:33 PM
06/17/07 08:33 PM
Midwest
L
Lee1 Offline
Lee1  Offline
L

Midwest
Quote:

Ya know one thing thats not been mentioned here is what the 57 can yield for us in terms of educating those that are into restoration. This car was brand new, as delivered from Plymouth. Even though its covered in rust and mud, it could be invaluable in showing us exactly how the factory assembled it. Things like proper routing of wire harnesses, under hood wire looms, plug wires etc. If they let people who are into this stuff examine and photograph everything in detail the old girl may be able to tell us things we never knew or were wrong about. Just a thought.

I was thinking along those lines. Think of the parts this thing has on it that would be perfect models to make reproductions, like the trim? How often is the trim on a used one perfect? It would also be a good one to have the fenders and quarters digitally mapped for possible future reproduction.

Re: Official Tulsa Buried 57 Plymouth Raising Thread 6- [Re: Lee1] #43067
06/17/07 08:41 PM
06/17/07 08:41 PM
the boonies
aarcuda Offline
I Live Here
aarcuda  Offline
I Live Here

the boonies
im sure there must be better models to use than that one.

It's got a cop motor, a 440 cubic inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas.
Re: Official Tulsa Buried 57 Plymouth Raising Thread 6- [Re: amxautox] #43068
06/17/07 08:47 PM
06/17/07 08:47 PM
N. of 8mile, S. of heaven
Spike Offline
Go Blue!!
Spike  Offline
Go Blue!!

N. of 8mile, S. of heaven
Quote:

Anyone hear who won the car? And what they are gonna do with it?

The winner, if one is found will be announced June 22.

Re: Official Tulsa Buried 57 Plymouth Raising Thread 6- [Re: cornucopia] #43069
06/17/07 08:48 PM
06/17/07 08:48 PM
Eugene, Oregon
M
minivan Offline
master
minivan  Offline
master
M

Eugene, Oregon
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

That car is so toast. The untreated/painted metal in the car is probably paper thin by the time they treat it. I just can't see sombody killing off other mopars to fix one car.

I'm still waiting for the offical "flush" sound to put an end to this post!

I agree.. Push it back in the pit and bury it.. Somebody needs to put it out of its misery.

Looks like our resident gravedigger ( quickfish??) should be getting kudos on this subject.. He is the one who predicted it would be full of water and ruined....

the resident gravedigger would be me. and yes, it turned out just like I thought it would.

Excuse me Mr. Cornucopia.. I had my Idaho people confused.. I, like many others, wished you were wrong but it looks like you were spot on..

Re: Official Tulsa Buried 57 Plymouth Raising Thread 6- #43070
06/17/07 08:56 PM
06/17/07 08:56 PM
Rust Belt, SW PA
Silver70 Offline
I Live Here
Silver70  Offline
I Live Here

Rust Belt, SW PA
Quote:

Do you have a problem with freedom of speech? It sure seems that way. Everyone has a right to express their opinion, whether you agree with it or not. Diversity of opinion, and the freedom to express it, is what makes this country great.

Its never a problem when they agree with you! But of course some opionions mean more than others(or so they think)!

Re: Official Tulsa Buried 57 Plymouth Raising Thread 6- [Re: aarcuda] #43071
06/17/07 08:59 PM
06/17/07 08:59 PM
Midwest
L
Lee1 Offline
Lee1  Offline
L

Midwest
Quote:

im sure there must be better models to use than that one.

I am not sure about that. While it is rusted, it is still straight. That means more than anything when trying to map those details out. The contours, bodylines, trim, is all virgin.

Post deleted by Defbob [Re: Diego (not Ted)] #43072
06/17/07 09:06 PM
06/17/07 09:06 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Re: Official Tulsa Buried 57 Plymouth Raising Thread 6- #43073
06/17/07 09:35 PM
06/17/07 09:35 PM
At a gas station near you
B
badblack68 Offline
master
badblack68  Offline
master
B

At a gas station near you
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I know he is exactly the type of person expounding all that negative energy that you were referring to.

That's me, Mr. Negative Energy!!
I say, the winner of that rotted-out rust bucket should take the car completely apart, and sell it piece by piece on ebay! "Step right up, folks, and buy a piece of Tulsa history!" Heck, they could scrape the mud and rust off that turd and sell it by the ounce! I'll bid on the negative battery post, since I'm such a negative guy.

I have to agree with Duster Dave . If I were the one to win it I`d part it out piece by piece and buy myself a big ole 528 C.I. HEMI for my 68. Problem is, even selling it off piece by piece you wouldn`t get enough for a down payment on a big ole 528 C.I. HEMI. They should have raised the car out of the hole, assessed its condition, then dropped it right back in its grave and back filled it with red dirt. That car is toast and should have been left to Rust In Piece...

Re: Official Tulsa Buried 57 Plymouth Raising Thread 6- #43074
06/17/07 09:37 PM
06/17/07 09:37 PM
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Wagonmaster Offline
I Live Here
Wagonmaster  Offline
I Live Here

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

That's me, Mr. Negative Energy!!
I say, the winner of that rotted-out rust bucket should take the car completely apart, and sell it piece by piece on ebay! "Step right up, folks, and buy a piece of Tulsa history!" Heck, they could scrape the mud and rust off that turd and sell it by the ounce! I'll bid on the negative battery post, since I'm such a negative guy.

Your quote being stated, I'd bet you'd win, too...

Re: Official Tulsa Buried 57 Plymouth Raising Thread 6- [Re: Diego (not Ted)] #43075
06/17/07 10:10 PM
06/17/07 10:10 PM
Canada
CrAzYMoPaRGuY Offline
I Live Here
CrAzYMoPaRGuY  Offline
I Live Here

Canada
Quote:

I don't know why there is so much disappointed energy running through this site.

Could be the condition of the car was not what was hoped.

Quote:

Sure, it would have been nice to see a nicely preserved car emerge from the hole, but that's not what happened.

Get outta here!
No really, GET OUTTA HERE!
hahaha
We all know it's the hope-vs-reality thing, I think everybody here has figured it out by themselves already.

Quote:

This event is about the optimism of the people of 1957 and the future of Tulsa, OK.

Not for me it wasn't. It wasn't for many people. For many people it was optimism that a 1957 Plymouth *might* have a chance at coming out of a time capsule in "as built" condition. It was a very small chance that it would happen that way, and odds were against it. Odds won.

Quote:

This was before we became a nation as we know it today (48 states during that time). It was before the tragedy of Vietnam and subsequent wars. No feminist manifesto had ever been written yet. And this little frontier city did something that represented a quintessential moment for that time. It's all about our history and the celebration of America before she took that hit of LSD and got all weary. Now she's got crow's feet around her eyes and she's not as idealistic as she used to be, but she's also a better America for it.

Are you trying to be an aspiring writer for a local newspaper? Harlequin automotive journalist?
Nobody cares about the above. Well, I don't anyways....

It was about the CAR for me. I'm a CAR guy. The locals have a different perspective I'm sure, but this is a MOPAR forum, not a local Tulsa forum. Many followed the story for years because of the car.

Quote:

I wish more of you could have witnessed the unique experience instead of the tainted cuppa joe that seems to be eminating from this site.

I think alot of people would have regretted NOT going if it came up in great shape, I think alot of people are GLAD they never went down after seeing what transpired on the live feed. Condition of the car, etc....

The "tainted cuppa joe" is due to the guys here being CAR guys. Many wanted, wished, and hoped for a trophy to come out of that hole, despite all odds.
Disappointment is the OBVIOUS reaction.
Among the CAR guys.

CrAzYMoPaRGuY
Re: Official Tulsa Buried 57 Plymouth Raising Thread 6- [Re: CrAzYMoPaRGuY] #43076
06/17/07 10:17 PM
06/17/07 10:17 PM
Canada
CrAzYMoPaRGuY Offline
I Live Here
CrAzYMoPaRGuY  Offline
I Live Here

Canada
BTW- Did anybody else notice the very first guess read by the male emcee was very close to the actual population #? I wonder if ALL the guesses will ever be made public, just to see the range of what people thought back in 1957...

I wonder who won dangit!

CrAzYMoPaRGuY
Re: Official Tulsa Buried 57 Plymouth Raising Thread 6- [Re: CrAzYMoPaRGuY] #43077
06/17/07 10:26 PM
06/17/07 10:26 PM
Slantytown
DUFFMAN Offline
Ask And Ye Shall Receive
DUFFMAN  Offline
Ask And Ye Shall Receive

Slantytown
Quote:

The "tainted cuppa joe" is due to the guys here being CAR guys. Many wanted, wished, and hoped for a trophy to come out of that hole, despite all odds.
Among the CAR guys.

Nail on head.

It's a tragic end to a really interesting story. Lets all just hope that the car gets into the right hands and the epiloge is better.

No longer taking $h!t from anyone!
Re: Official Tulsa Buried 57 Plymouth Raising Thread 6- [Re: DUFFMAN] #43078
06/17/07 10:28 PM
06/17/07 10:28 PM
Canada
CrAzYMoPaRGuY Offline
I Live Here
CrAzYMoPaRGuY  Offline
I Live Here

Canada
Quote:

It's a tragic end to a really interesting story. Lets all just hope that the car gets into the right hands and the epiloge is better.

My interest is exactly as you state, to see what happens to the car from this point on.

CrAzYMoPaRGuY
Re: Official Tulsa Buried 57 Plymouth Raising Thread 6- [Re: CrAzYMoPaRGuY] #43079
06/17/07 11:44 PM
06/17/07 11:44 PM
Looking for a way out of Middl...
IMGTX Offline
I Live Here
IMGTX  Offline
I Live Here

Looking for a way out of Middl...
I must say I was saddened to see it come out the way it did. I really wanted to see a pristine car but oh well.

I have to wonder. They buried the Belvadere and a Prowler too.. ..Who's got it out for the Plymouths? Couldn't they bury a chevy? Well I guess nobody would care to dig one of them up.

Me I would restore it taking care to use every single part I could from the original car, but hey I don't own it and that's OK. I don't need another project anyway.

As for those who say it should be crushed, no way will that happen. There are people all over the place thinking of buying it. The owner will probably sell it for a heck of alot more than scrapmetal prices would net him.

I hope it does end up preserved in some way. Either as is or restored, there are enough cars rusting away as we speak. Some of them in my driveway

Re: Official Tulsa Buried 57 Plymouth Raising Thread 6- [Re: DUFFMAN] #43080
06/17/07 11:47 PM
06/17/07 11:47 PM
SK. Canada
Not_A_Duster Offline
master
Not_A_Duster  Offline
master

SK. Canada
Quote:

Quote:

Among the CAR guys.

Nail on head.

....evil is winning....
Page 61 of 62 1 2 59 60 61 62