09/10/09 08:35 AM
09/10/09 08:35 AM
MD, USA
V
v8mirage Offline
v8mirage  Offline
V

MD, USA
It could, but if you don't soak it down too much it won't bother anything. I used in on my dash when I got a bad case of fish-eyes, it did take the paint off that I just applied but I wanted it to do that since it was all messed up. I always use it for the first cleaning, after sanding and getting ready for paint. I even used it on my dashpad just before painting, and it did take some of the dye off, but I had no problem with the new dye sticking.

Just make sure you let it dry before you paint, and do a quick wipe down with Mineral Spirits before painting.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread Part III [Re: v8mirage] #39015
09/10/09 11:27 AM
09/10/09 11:27 AM
CA
P
Peckinpah Offline
Peckinpah  Offline
P

CA
I have never used lacquer thinner, but it sounds similar to that nasty "nail polish remover" I used to play with when I was a kid. We used to soak cotton balls in that stuff and kill insects with it for our bug collections.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread Part III [Re: Peckinpah] #39016
09/10/09 02:51 PM
09/10/09 02:51 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The active ingredient in most nail polish removers is Acetone. This is what gives it that characteristic harsh / pungent smell.

Lacquer Thinner is a blend of various organic solvents -- usually Toluene and Xylene, but can also contain MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone) or Acetone.

Lacquer Thinner will have a more "aromatic" (think petroleum distillates) odor than straight Acetone.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread Part III #39017
09/10/09 09:47 PM
09/10/09 09:47 PM
CA
P
Peckinpah Offline
Peckinpah  Offline
P

CA
OK, thanks. I used to work with Methyl Ethyl Ketone in the printing industry. We used it to strip glazed dried-on ink off ink rollers used in printing presses.

That was some awful-smelling stuff, and you just knew when you got it on your hands that it was very bad for your health. It was very "cold" to the skin and just soaked right in and made a beeline straight for your liver.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread Part III [Re: Peckinpah] #39018
09/13/09 12:33 AM
09/13/09 12:33 AM
MN
T
tsbrewers Offline
tsbrewers  Offline
T

MN
regular old dawn will remove wax, grease, pretty much everything. But they do also make a special cleaner for wiping the car before you paint. Kinda pushes you over the $50 part, but if you are going to do it, why not do it right? i think it is called wax/grease remover or something like that. Pretty much any parts store will have it.

Brew

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread Part III [Re: tsbrewers] #39019
09/13/09 08:35 AM
09/13/09 08:35 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

hi everyone;

I just want to ask some questions I could find my answer in the board but articles and replies many many pages long so I`m sorry if I ask questions already replied.

1. I live in a flat and we got only car park. I haven`t got separate garage. So I thought If I buy rustoleum paint and Fast air dry hardener, Can I mix them and spray them. If I can, I can go to picnic in a sunny day and spray it in a open area.

2. If I mix them, How much paint,hardener and thinner i have to put in a mixture?

3. I want to paint candy pearly blue white. So I thougth I can paint car with rustoleum white and I can spray clear code with blue candy pearls. Is this possible? What do you think about idea?

Thanks for all.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread Part III #39020
09/13/09 10:07 AM
09/13/09 10:07 AM
CA
P
Peckinpah Offline
Peckinpah  Offline
P

CA
My thoughts:

Using a roller in that situation would not be a problem, but every time I have tried to spray outdoors, the amount of paint drifting away has been just unbelievable. I'm lucky if half the paint goes where I want it. So you're gonna end up using a lot of paint and also painting any other car within 10 feet of you.

Also, if you use the roller method, and then sand the paint smooth and buff it out with an electric buffer, there's no need for a clearcoat. As far as I know you can't use a roller for clearcoat.

Finally, the roller method also won't work for metallic paints, because they require a clearcoat (see above).

So what I would suggest is, using a roller and avoiding clearcoats and metallic paints if you want the job to turn out right. Unfortunately, this thread is not about spray-on paint jobs, so not much of the info here will pertain to using that method. Not that there's anything wrong with using that method, but this thread does not really discuss it. Also, I don't think Rustoleum is formulated to be sprayed on (except for the kind that comes in a rattle can) so that's another reason not to run it through a sprayer.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread Part III [Re: tsbrewers] #39021
09/13/09 10:28 AM
09/13/09 10:28 AM
CA
P
Peckinpah Offline
Peckinpah  Offline
P

CA
Quote:

regular old dawn will remove wax, grease, pretty much everything. But they do also make a special cleaner for wiping the car before you paint. Kinda pushes you over the $50 part, but if you are going to do it, why not do it right? i think it is called wax/grease remover or something like that. Pretty much any parts store will have it.

Brew

So if I use Dawn dish washing detergent to wash my truck, I'm stripping off the wax? I hope not, because I just use and ounce or so of regular dish washing detergent in a couple gallons of water to wash my truck. If it's stripping off the wax, I'll use something else.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread Part III [Re: Peckinpah] #39022
09/13/09 11:38 AM
09/13/09 11:38 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

My thoughts:

Using a roller in that situation would not be a problem, but every time I have tried to spray outdoors, the amount of paint drifting away has been just unbelievable. I'm lucky if half the paint goes where I want it. So you're gonna end up using a lot of paint and also painting any other car within 10 feet of you.

Also, if you use the roller method, and then sand the paint smooth and buff it out with an electric buffer, there's no need for a clearcoat. As far as I know you can't use a roller for clearcoat.

Finally, the roller method also won't work for metallic paints, because they require a clearcoat (see above).

So what I would suggest is, using a roller and avoiding clearcoats and metallic paints if you want the job to turn out right. Unfortunately, this thread is not about spray-on paint jobs, so not much of the info here will pertain to using that method. Not that there's anything wrong with using that method, but this thread does not really discuss it. Also, I don't think Rustoleum is formulated to be sprayed on (except for the kind that comes in a rattle can) so that's another reason not to run it through a sprayer.

Thanks for your reply. In this situation if I paint with a roller in my car park, some people can touch wet paint especially children. Also I live in UK so drying time can be long because of weather is not hot enough. Because of that I thought If I put some air fast dry hardener in a paint it drys with in minutes and I can sand and apply another coat if it is needed.

Are there any body else has got any experience with rustoleum paint in a sprayer.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread Part III #39023
09/13/09 12:09 PM
09/13/09 12:09 PM
CA
P
Peckinpah Offline
Peckinpah  Offline
P

CA
From my experience, spray on paint can stay wet for quite a while too. I have used both spray on and roll on paint and find that either one usually takes about an hour before it's dry to the touch.

So in other words, I'm not aware of spray-on paint drying any faster than roll on paint, especially when the roll on paint is thinned way down with mineral spirits. In fact, the roll on stuff might actually dry faster in some cases.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread Part III [Re: Peckinpah] #39024
09/13/09 12:19 PM
09/13/09 12:19 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

ohh I shocked really. Because as I said above I thought spray paint dry faster that roller. So If its like that I can roll it. But I have to hope not to rain. As known UK is rainy all the time.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread Part III #39025
09/13/09 01:50 PM
09/13/09 01:50 PM
CA
P
Peckinpah Offline
Peckinpah  Offline
P

CA
I have not had to deal with rain, my problem has been the 100-105 degree temps we have in inland California during June, July, August and September.

Some other people in this thread have mentioned having their paint getting rained on while drying, and I don't recall anyone saying it ruined it, though I could see how if you had a major thunderstorm with high winds and torrential rain, that might cause problems, especially if your paint is still wet to the touch. But short of that happening, I can't really see how rain is gonna affect your paint job too much, except the humidity you get during a rain storm will probably cause drying time to take longer.

Maybe someone who has dealt with rain while painting could share their experiences, because as I said, I have not encountered that problem yet.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread Part III [Re: Peckinpah] #39026
09/13/09 09:09 PM
09/13/09 09:09 PM
Southern, Ca.
69DartGT Offline OP
moparts member
69DartGT  Offline OP
moparts member

Southern, Ca.
Quote:

Quote:

Brew

Sawn is a great grease and wax remover, switch to a real car wash soap..

So if I use Dawn dish washing detergent to wash my truck, I'm stripping off the wax? I hope not, because I just use and ounce or so of regular dish washing detergent in a couple gallons of water to wash my truck. If it's stripping off the wax, I'll use something else.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread Part III [Re: Peckinpah] #39027
09/14/09 12:44 AM
09/14/09 12:44 AM
middleOnowhere CA
THEYOUNGGUN53 Offline
enthusiast
THEYOUNGGUN53  Offline
enthusiast

middleOnowhere CA
its finally starting to look like a car again!

a car is never "done"
Re: New Paint job on a budget thread Part III [Re: THEYOUNGGUN53] #39028
09/14/09 04:49 PM
09/14/09 04:49 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Beautiful!! What is it about a Beetle that makes my heart flutter? Do you have any plans for the wheel wells? I'm thinking of going with spray on truck bedliner to do my inner wheel wells and inside of my fenders. Would that be a bad idea?

Quote:

its finally starting to look like a car again!

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread Part III #39029
09/14/09 06:24 PM
09/14/09 06:24 PM
middleOnowhere CA
THEYOUNGGUN53 Offline
enthusiast
THEYOUNGGUN53  Offline
enthusiast

middleOnowhere CA
well my car already had undercoating on it, so I see no reason to mess with it.

Bed liner would be a great option unless you want to paint under there sometime in the future.

a car is never "done"
Re: New Paint job on a budget thread Part III [Re: 69DartGT] #39030
09/14/09 07:56 PM
09/14/09 07:56 PM
MN
T
tsbrewers Offline
tsbrewers  Offline
T

MN
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Brew

Dawn is a great grease and wax remover, switch to a real car wash soap..

69dartGT is correct, do not use dawn for regular washes. It will remove the wax you have (if any anymore. ) the car wash soap is pretty cheap, probably $5 for a gallon. probably cheaper than dawn anyway.

Brew

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread Part III [Re: tsbrewers] #39031
09/14/09 08:11 PM
09/14/09 08:11 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Brew

Dawn is a great grease and wax remover, switch to a real car wash soap..

69dartGT is correct, do not use dawn for regular washes. It will remove the wax you have (if any anymore. ) the car wash soap is pretty cheap, probably $5 for a gallon. probably cheaper than dawn anyway.

Brew

The Dawn Power Dissolver foam detergent for baked on grease will also remove paint. There was a lengthy discussion on thesamba(Volkswagen forum)about using it to strip paint. It was extremely effective.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread Part III #39032
09/16/09 01:07 AM
09/16/09 01:07 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Iv'e been reading through his entire thread for the last three weeks, using it for reference as I have chosen to try this roller method. I started rolling my hood about 2 weeks ago following all the steps involved but I will describe what I have done for the experts here and hopefully you guys can lead me in the right direction.

I started with rusto pro. gloss white and thinned to the 3 second run method, I would guess my mix was about 60 paint 40 m.s. I started on top of primer, sanded smooth to the touch and no imperfections showing while wet or dry. I put two coats on sanded with 600 grit wet, repeated this process 4 times for a total of 8 coats. I then sanded with 1000, 1500, and lastly used 2000 grit sandpaper all wet. The paint looked GREAT before I sanded and thought I was on the right track, but as soon as I finished the sanding, I went to buffing/polishing and I feel I got terrible results. 1st, I have lots of scratches left over as well as discoloration throughout the entire paint. I resanded the entire hood trying to get the color variance out but I'm not having any luck. As soon as the hood looks good dry, no shiny spots, no color variance, no orange peel, I go back to buffing and this all re-appears in the paint. When I look at he paint against the light, it shows everything, if I look at it from the side, it looks wonderful (without direct light). My question is am I being too picky, should I just live with it the way it is, or have others had the same problem with the gloss white paint. I'm starting think a different color would not show the color variation that I'm getting but I just don't know. The picture attached is showing the part of the hood that I have buffed, as well as a section that has not been buffed.

5485584-Picture001.jpg (186 downloads)
Re: New Paint job on a budget thread Part III #39033
09/16/09 09:03 AM
09/16/09 09:03 AM
CA
P
Peckinpah Offline
Peckinpah  Offline
P

CA
What do you mean by "discoloration"? I see a large area in your picture that looks a little darker. Is that it?

I used Gloss White too, but my paint looks very uniform. Could the discoloration be your primer showing through? I do have a few areas where my primer went on rough that show through the main coat. That's the only discoloration I have, but it's not that bad and I doubt anyone else would ever notice it.

Also, the scratches, are they from buffing or are these scratches ones that are underneath your paint that didn't really fill in? If they're scratches from buffing, are you using the white Turtle Wax Polishing compound? Because the red Buffing compound can cause very noticeable scratches because it's so coarse. It can also leave a very bad red discoloration, especially on a white paint job.

Using the very limited info I have to go on at present, it sounds to me as if you might need a few more coats, and / or to thicken up your paint a bit. But that's only a semi-educated guess.

Also, did you give the paint several weeks to dry completely? The color variation could be areas where the paint has not completely dried and hardened yet.

Page 136 of 167 1 2 134 135 136 137 138 166 167