dark side of the moon
D
Dougsmopars Offline
top fuel
Dougsmopars  Offline
top fuel
D

dark side of the moon
Again i'll state SOFT SEAL IS NOT THE SUPPLIER FOR YEAR ONE !!!! I've installed 100's of sets of Soft Seal weatherstrips and never had a problem. They are the best made.

Re: Doors shut hard after new paint job and weather strips [Re: Dougsmopars] #376141
07/16/09 05:22 PM
07/16/09 05:22 PM
JERSEY
RJS Offline
master
RJS  Offline
master

JERSEY
My convertible was done 3 years ago and I used SoftSeal and they got alittle better over the years but still takes too much to close in my opinion...

Re: Doors shut hard after new paint job and weather strips [Re: RJS] #376142
07/16/09 05:46 PM
07/16/09 05:46 PM
London, England
Gavin Offline
top fuel
Gavin  Offline
top fuel

London, England
I agree, everytime this topic comes up you get some people saying switch from X to Y manufacturer, then others saying switch from Y to X..

Either way there are clearly good seals and bad ones.....maybe it varies not just by manufactuer but by which car and which seal, or even which batch from the same manufacturer

Re: Doors shut hard after new paint job and weather strips [Re: RJS] #376143
07/16/09 05:51 PM
South Dakota
hotairballoonpilot Offline
master
hotairballoonpilot  Offline
master

South Dakota
If and I mean If you can't get differant ones try lubing the rubbers up with either silicone or spray lube. Give the doors something to slide on as the door shuts. I have had to do that with differant types of wx strips. Some are good and soft as others have said and some are just to darn stiff. Those are the ones that need the extra help. Try also taking the striker off then shutting the door. You should beable to shut it with ease and hold it shut. If the lines are good then install the striker. If not adjust the door to get good lines. Then reinstall striker. If with the striker off you feel the door binding as you shut it try and note were that is. Maybe there is a spot that the wx strip isn't installed correctly. Compaired to the old one not figuring the age do they look like one another? I also do not agree with the year break in but to agree that they do need to set the memory to the door. As for someone's comment about new cars not fitting. Remember this they sit at the plant for how long with pressure from the doors being shut then shipped to someplace then sit there then are shipped to the dealer. Those rubbers do have time to be worn into fitting. Not as bad as this situation but we don't see new cars directly off the assembly line. I know I never have but I am sure someone can inform me what they are like the moment they come off. MAybe I am wrong?

Contact Me about AMD Prices
Re: Doors shut hard after new paint job and weather strips [Re: B5496RR] #376144
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
Quote:

I have a question for those out there who have installed new weather striping on there doors. I had a local custom paint shop perform a complete paint job on my 69 BB. Doors, fenders etc were removed. Upon installation of the doors after paint new weather strips/seals were installed for all windows/doors etc. The doors are lined up nicely with the body panels but the doors need to be slammed to shut. The owner of the custom paint shop has informed me this normal until the seals break in which usually occurs after 1 year, then the doors need to be readjusted and will shut properly. I have never heard or this... Has anyone experienced this before?? I have adjusted the doors so that they shut nicely but they do not line up with the body panels properly. I previous adjusted the doors with the old seals and they could be shut with one finger. Now it requires to slam the door harder them normal...??? And yes the correct weather strips/seals were installed. I doubled checked the part numbers. Any thoughts would be of great help.

I've gone thru this on any restoration project, be it A,B,E body, 68 thru 72,.....The repro mouldings have to taken on an individual basis, meaning just buying entirely Metro, Softseal, or Steele, etc, won't assure you of a perfect fit, there's times I go thru 2 or 3 mfg's mouldings before one fits properly,....of course nice originals/NOS are prefered,....I've never had a fittment issuse with either,......A customers 69 RR I recently did,....I went thru several door seals, from Metro, Soft seal before finally getting the doors to close properly,....as far as 68-70 Chargers, I haven't found any aftermarket seal that allows the door to even close, nevermind latch!,.....if your doing a Charger, use originals, E body trunk strip is another nightmare, everything available is too bulky,

When you compare originals to the repros, most are THICKER, no doubt,....but the needed profile isn't even close, which causes "bulking" in corners, esp on doors, this prevents them from closing,....if used/NOS aren't available, all that's left is careful triming of the repros as the only alternative,.....I can't tell you how many sets of door mouldings I've FUBAR'D trying to get a customers car "squared away"

It seems today if your restoring a car, you buy all the competing mfg's rubber products offered for the car in question,.......sooner or later you might have a "fit" in more way than one!

5356904-BlkRR6.jpg (96 downloads)
Re: Doors shut hard after new paint job and weather strips [Re: burdar] #376145
07/16/09 09:43 PM
07/16/09 09:43 PM
dark side of the moon
D
Dougsmopars Offline
top fuel
Dougsmopars  Offline
top fuel
D

dark side of the moon
Metro is Soft seal. The company name is Metro soft seal. There 1 in the same

Re: Doors shut hard after new paint job and weather strips [Re: Dougsmopars] #376146
07/16/09 10:37 PM
07/16/09 10:37 PM
Fortworth TX
M
mod5v Offline
mopar
mod5v  Offline
mopar
M

Fortworth TX
I just replaced the seals on my 84 d150. Texas truck and the originals were dried and falling apart. Just got some E-bay cheapies and they went on real good but my doors cloae real hard. Got to looking at them and itseams that there are very few vent holes in the edges of the seals.I was thinking of adding a bunch more to "vent" the internal air from the seals to see if that would help. Has anyone tried this?

Re: Doors shut hard after new paint job and weather strips [Re: Dougsmopars] #376147
07/16/09 11:14 PM
07/16/09 11:14 PM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
Quote:

Metro is Soft seal. The company name is Metro soft seal. There 1 in the same

Sorry for the mix up regarding Metro,....their earlier line of "softseals" are like rocks,esp the door seals....the new line of "supersoft gold seals" are much better, in some regards,.....most guys finialy getting around to their restos, may have purchased Metros first generation of seals during the parts gathering endeavor, the new "Sponge" seals, are a slight improvement, probally due to customer feedback about the eariler seals problems,......real early releases of Metros products were on a white cardboard background with the METRO name, the last few years, it's the Purple packaged "Softseal" look,.......now it's the "Super Softseal Gold sponge",.....so I kind of look at the generation of gaskets as Metro (early), and Softseal (later).....sorry if that was confusing

But SOFFSEAL is a seperate manufacturer,......I may have mistyped.....in my original post SOFFSEAL/SOFTSEAL ....my bad

Page 2 of 2 1 2