08/02/07 12:38 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

So, I'm kind of lost here. I've got plenty of paint (8 or more coats) on my car and it looks good but not great. I don't know if this is orange peel that can be sanded out or if it's just a limitation of the method. I've got the paint thin enough and I have sanded to 1000 grit but the paint isn't really flat. I mean that when I spray bomb certain areas I get a much flater level surface than with the roller. It's not bad but I was hoping for more.

Should I continue with the 1500 and another coat or does the compounding and polish work the paint smoother and flater. It looks great from a few feet away but at 2 feet it's just ok.

Anything?

any pics? how thick ar e you applying? any penetrol?

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: Marq] #37255
08/02/07 01:41 AM
08/02/07 01:41 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

think ill start at 800- then 1000- 1200 then paint...

that way ill make sure i get everything taken care of.

sound ok marq?

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: Marq] #37256
08/02/07 07:45 AM
08/02/07 07:45 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

I think the initial problem with this paint is that it is a " modified alkyd ". Whereas the Brightside marine paint is a polyurathane and the Rustoleum / Tremclad shares most traits of an enamel.

Most (if not all) the the Rustoleum type paints are alkyd enamels. They all share an alkyd resin base (as opposed to an acrylic one). It's a paint technology that dates to the late 1920s, but it obviously still works. It was used as an OEM paint finish until the late 1960s, when acrylic enamels came into use.

I looked at a can of the Rustoleum Marine paint and read the label...other than being a *lot* more expensive than regular Rustoleum, I couldn't tell you what the difference is. If someone had adhesion problems with it, they almost certainly would have had problems with any other alkyd enamel (including regular Rustoleum). I'd avoid it too, if for no other reason than the price...
For that money, get some Brightside or other urethane marine paint.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #37257
08/02/07 09:16 AM
08/02/07 09:16 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I've been thinning the paint (rustoleum premium) to about 40-50% with mineral spirits. I ring out the roller pretty thoroughly in the pan and then apply it by overlapping sections until it all looks flat and nice. No bubbles, I go slowly enough that they seem to pop right out on a second pass from the roller.

It just isn't what I would call a flat paint surface. The pics I've seen of other cars are so varied it's hard to tell what to make of the comparision.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #37258
08/02/07 01:13 PM
08/02/07 01:13 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

2 of 3 coats with Brightside white on the sides of the car. The end is in sigh.

Closeup of the brush marks. I'll sand those down before the third coat.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: Marq] #37259
08/02/07 04:35 PM
08/02/07 04:35 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Uh... explain to me what is wrong with the current paint job ? It looks pretty solid from the pictures you posted. Or are you just looking for a color change ?

It's warped. Theres absolutely no shine to it. In the sun the top looks pink. It looks nice in that picture because I took it when the sun was going down to make the car look nicer.

So should I primer the whole car before I paint it? or am I able to just paint over it in its current condition?

Last edited by TheBayArea510; 08/02/07 04:36 PM.
Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #37260
08/02/07 04:46 PM
08/02/07 04:46 PM
Seattle WA
R
RichV Offline
top fuel
RichV  Offline
top fuel
R

Seattle WA
Quote:

It's warped. Theres absolutely no shine to it. In the sun the top looks pink. It looks nice in that picture because I took it when the sun was going down to make the car look nicer.

Is the paint job just oxidized? If so it would probably be easier to polish away the oxidation paint rather than repaint it.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: RichV] #37261
08/02/07 04:53 PM
08/02/07 04:53 PM
Southern, Ca.
69DartGT Offline OP
moparts member
69DartGT  Offline OP
moparts member

Southern, Ca.
I was surprised at my paint yesterday the top surfaces were sort of oxidized so I went over it with some Poor Boys SR1 and foolwed by wax but the roof needed SR2 & SR1 followed by wax. looks okay now so I put the cover back on the truck its been sitting in the sun the last few months. I never did wet sand this truck and I've been giving that some thought for when it cools off plus I thought maybe redo the roof white

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: RichV] #37262
08/02/07 05:09 PM
08/02/07 05:09 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Is the paint job just oxidized? If so it would probably be easier to polish away the oxidation paint rather than repaint it.

Yeah thats the only problem. How do I make it look new again without repainting it?

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #37263
08/02/07 05:27 PM
08/02/07 05:27 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I am currently rolling a car. But as a test I want to compare the color I using to a color I have in a 1 gallon can of Dupont Lucite lacquer paint. It's been sitting unopened for a long time. I was going to try a small patch sprayed with my HPLV gun but wasn't sure if the paint would be any good. How long can an unopened can of automotive lacquer last in a cool dark place??

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #37264
08/02/07 05:51 PM
08/02/07 05:51 PM
Southern, Ca.
69DartGT Offline OP
moparts member
69DartGT  Offline OP
moparts member

Southern, Ca.
Quote:

Quote:

Yeah thats the only problem. How do I make it look new again without repainting it?

I used a porter Cable 7224 polisher along with the poor boys compounds has done wonders for my truck, the red paint here doesn't like a lot of sun over a period of time, I'm sure you can do the same using simualr tools and compunds.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: 69DartGT] #37265
08/02/07 07:10 PM
08/02/07 07:10 PM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada
Quote:

I was surprised at my paint yesterday the top surfaces were sort of oxidized so I went over it with some Poor Boys SR1 and foolwed by wax but the roof needed SR2 & SR1 followed by wax. looks okay now so I put the cover back on the truck its been sitting in the sun the last few months. I never did wet sand this truck and I've been giving that some thought for when it cools off plus I thought maybe redo the roof white

This is the same thing that I experienced this spring. It looked more like a general watermark over the surface. So I just whipped out the Porter & Cable and gave it a quick waxing - and everything went back to normal.

Funny thing is that it only happened on the trunk and the hood - whereas the sides of the car did not require the re-waxing. So I don't know if it was the paint or the previous coat of pure carnuba wax that had hazed OR if it was the sun beating down on the wax / paint.

As your truck had a similar 'occurence' with the top surfaces being involved.. I am susspecting the sun and wax... and not the rain...

If it had been the paint... you would have expected the haze to appear on the top and side surfaces. But instead it only appeared on the top. So I don't know if it was the rain that had sat on the car during three wet weeks... or if it was the sun beating down on the top surface. But since it easily waxed away I won't lose too much sleep over it IF it happens again.

The paint job is now almost ONE YEAR old... and so one hazing in 12 months ain't too bad...

Last edited by Marq; 08/02/07 07:14 PM.
Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: Marq] #37266
08/02/07 07:33 PM
08/02/07 07:33 PM
Southern, Ca.
69DartGT Offline OP
moparts member
69DartGT  Offline OP
moparts member

Southern, Ca.
Quote:

As your truck had a similar 'occurence' with the top surfaces being involved.. I am susspecting the sun and wax... and not the rain...

Marq what's rain
probably not oxidized as it was only the top surfaces. I think I could have done a bedtter job on the roof main reason for thinking repainting it white.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: 69DartGT] #37267
08/02/07 10:59 PM
08/02/07 10:59 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

New here, never owned a Mopar … but my mom has a Pacifica …. First heard of this painting alternative on the following thread http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/t196565.html , I have been reading the Moparts threads and a number of those linked on the Moparts threads since the original poster put the links in on June 25th 07. The Gen2 Camry I have does not need paint. I first read about the Hot Rod article from one of those links to another site, one of the 2 page mostly negative threads on July 3rd, and have been looking for a copy since, but since they pull them from the shelves by the 25th of the previous month, no luck. Would be happy to get a pdf of it even.

Well the reason I am here (one of them) …. And my first auto paint project since high school 25 years ago, I bought a Del Sol for my kid last year … fixed most problems and had less than half book value into it, then I had a little accident that demoed the hood that already needed replacement and messed up the bumper cover. Since I have only had hit and run or accident problems with RED Cars I have owned and the paint (looks like cheap repaint) on this Del Sol was chalky on top and looking like different spot repairs on the sides, I had already gotten many BC/CC quotes of $2500 and up plus a month or two to fit into shop schedules and complete. I thought this was outrageous for the second smallest car on the american roads and the car has been sitting in my garage for the last year. Good thing I wasn’t looking to get my 90 F150 repainted. I was looking for a color change … but may go to a darker red, like the Pettit Burgundy of 73Bugg, maybe even a two tone, but not black here in the south even though it looks great and seems most of the better paint jobs I have seen are black. I went to Schieb, they had done a reasonable job on my high school car which I had prepped. Their best $799 job (special price is usually $599) …. The ones I saw coming out of the shop at the time at least, had more orange peel than a bushel of oranges, and the 5+ particles of dust per square inch on top made me feel that I would spend an additional $700 removing that paint for a better paint job. I didn’t even try Macco since they quoted me over $250 to paint my grille surround on my 01 Beetle Sport (first time I saw Chargers Beetle, and his wifes Sport I knew they are way cool). Unfortunatly Hurricane Katrina left the shop that did that job totaled.

After the Del Sol … my F150 has dents and scrapes in all panels except the roof and the hood and right fender which were repainted before I bought it. It is white and the OEM single stage paint is holding up great otherwise. Then there is my long lost project, my 73 Mach 1 which was 80% restored (needed seat covers, carpet and headliner) when it got nearly 3 foot of water during a flood in 95, and I have not done much with it since I didn’t have a garage for it most of that time. It has been through 2 more floods that at least reached the floorboards, Katrina and at least 2 other hurricanes that have brought branches and other debris upon it, AND a Tornado swept up my street earlier this year. So it ain’t looking it’s best anymore, and as always, the cost of painting it (again) has been one of the reasons it has sat untouched. I would love to get that 325hp 351C-4V back on the road, but my 20PSI Beetle fits the speed/performance bill nicely, and it’s sneaky too.

Well, Sorry for the length …. I do have a few questions I will ask later on after I have read all of the thread. I do want to know if I am missing some of the threads … I read all 43 pages of Part1, the first 20 of 80 pages of Part 2, and all 24 of Part III, I keep seeing references to “All 200 Pages.” I can’t find more than 147 pages … and even if I include the 40+ page so far Word DOC I have cut and pasted some of the better posts to, I don’t have 200.

Pix of my Del Sol Project I hope to start painting when the weather cools in October or so. I will be working the body and buying tools that I don’t have until then, especially since I can amortize the cost over at least 3 vehicles I have to paint that I currently own.

What my top paint looks like, gotta be worse than that Z ...

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: Marq] #37268
08/03/07 12:42 AM
08/03/07 12:42 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

This is the same thing that I experienced this spring. It looked more like a general watermark over the surface. So I just whipped out the Porter & Cable and gave it a quick waxing - and everything went back to normal.

Funny thing is that it only happened on the trunk and the hood - whereas the sides of the car did not require the re-waxing. So I don't know if it was the paint or the previous coat of pure carnuba wax that had hazed OR if it was the sun beating down on the wax / paint.

If it had been the paint... you would have expected the haze to appear on the top and side surfaces. But instead it only appeared on the top. So I don't know if it was the rain that had sat on the car during three wet weeks... or if it was the sun beating down on the top surface. But since it easily waxed away I won't lose too much sleep over it IF it happens again.

The paint job is now almost ONE YEAR old... and so one hazing in 12 months ain't too bad...

It's the sun. I had a '63 Galaxie in College (red with a white top) that was the original paint...the car lived outside and I had to do a *lot* more maintenance on the hood and trunk (the roof was white and so it wasn't as noticeable). The sides never needed that much work, but I used to spend hours working on the horizontal surfaces. Being a poor college student, I didn't have a buffer so I was doing all this by hand. Man, that was a lot of work! I had to take a fine cleaner to it at least once a year to get it to really shine again. All I ever did to the sides was keep some wax on them, and they were fine. Like you said...doing a polish on it once a year with a PC is no big deal.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #37269
08/03/07 08:44 AM
08/03/07 08:44 AM
MD, USA
V
v8mirage Offline
v8mirage  Offline
V

MD, USA
Quote:

I first read about the Hot Rod article from one of those links to another site, one of the 2 page mostly negative threads on July 3rd, and have been looking for a copy since, but since they pull them from the shelves by the 25th of the previous month, no luck. Would be happy to get a pdf of it even.

Here is the link to the Hot Rod Article http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/body/hrdp_0707_1962_ford_falcon_budget_paint_job

Enjoy.

Gerbs

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: v8mirage] #37270
08/03/07 08:53 AM
08/03/07 08:53 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Paint job revisited. I went over back over the trunk and rear quarters of the galaxie with 800 to remove what I can only assume is orange peel from too thick an application. I then repainted and by the time I got to the trunk I begain getting organge peel and thick paint again! The quarter panels that I painted first were fine.

I think that here in St. Louis where the temps are in the upper 80's and the humidity nearly the same, that the mineral spirits evaporate from the paint at a much faster rate. I think that by the time I got to painting the trunk, the paint had thickened due to evaporation to a maybe 30% mixture. It's the only think I can figure as to why the trunk would be so much more orange peely than the quarter panels painted from the same mixture, just 1/2 hour earlier.

I sure hope I am making progress this time.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: v8mirage] #37271
08/04/07 06:43 PM
08/04/07 06:43 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

I first read about the Hot Rod article from one of those links to another site, one of the 2 page mostly negative threads on July 3rd, and have been looking for a copy since, but since they pull them from the shelves by the 25th of the previous month, no luck. Would be happy to get a pdf of it even.

Here is the link to the Hot Rod Article http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/body/hrdp_0707_1962_ford_falcon_budget_paint_job

Enjoy.

Gerbs

been following this thread <and the other 2 or is it 3 i have lost count> for awhile. While normally I agree with what HotRod mag does they did something that in my eyes is a very VERY big no no. They used a grinder to shorten coils.....this is not the right way to do a lowering on a car. Otherwise it was a good story and loved the outcome of the falcon.....though the scallops should go to the tail of the car on top and the bottom should end just before the fender/door gap IMO. One day when I get my "project" started I will be using this way of painting it to make w truly budget sleeper. How truly a budget sleeper you ask? mid 80's dodge omni fuel injected turbo with alcohol feed system to just kill Honda's for a quarter of the price

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #37272
08/05/07 12:44 AM
08/05/07 12:44 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Thanks for the link v8mirage ... and I too don't like the way they riced the front springs, at least they did the rear correctly ... or is it called old schooled the springs???

That omni should be a sleeper ... put a Hemi in it .... something like the Hemispherical 1.8T VW/Audi engine with huge injectors and a t4 turbo. Some of the Omni's did come with VW engines years ago I heard ... hope it wasn't an urban legend.

Now ... for the paint related part ... I see so many people asking how much MS to Paint ... I read that Aussie Driver used a Zahn cup ... or at least a less expensive one. I found one online which fits our budget ... Way less than the $100+ for a Ford 4 or a Zahn 1 to 5. This is not the cheapest one I have found, but the site also has a chart to show you how their cup reads compared to the Ford 4, some of the Zahns and some others ... the price listed is not correct, it is now $5.20CDN. http://www.lemmer.com/ViscChrt.htm
I plan to order one, Aussie Driver, is this similar to the one you used. I think if we use these we can get a better messure of how thin the paint is without having to figure in temp and humidity which varys from day to day and region to region.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #37273
08/05/07 06:11 AM
08/05/07 06:11 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Now ... for the paint related part ... I see so many people asking how much MS to Paint ... I read that Aussie Driver used a Zahn cup ... or at least a less expensive one. I found one online which fits our budget ... Way less than the $100+ for a Ford 4 or a Zahn 1 to 5. This is not the cheapest one I have found, but the site also has a chart to show you how their cup reads compared to the Ford 4, some of the Zahns and some others ... the price listed is not correct, it is now $5.20CDN. http://www.lemmer.com/ViscChrt.htm
I plan to order one, Aussie Driver, is this similar to the one you used. I think if we use these we can get a better messure of how thin the paint is without having to figure in temp and humidity which varys from day to day and region to region.

My Zhan cup looks just like that one except mine is black. I found the cup to be a great help for my painting and I hope that you find yours to be just as useful.

Page 48 of 167 1 2 46 47 48 49 50 166 167