Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: What tool am I looking for to help me with wiring? [Re: HealthServices] #363496
07/01/09 01:19 PM
07/01/09 01:19 PM
So Cal
HealthServices Offline
Why would you even post that?
HealthServices  Offline

So Cal
And NEVER use the amp function on these for anything other than Very small draws, on yours I don't see the amount listed but I don't see how it can take anything over 10 amps

Allen Here's a novel idea, let's not throw a bunch of parts at the car hoping it will fix the problem and instead spend a little time diagnosing it first. Life was a little easier when I was just a wrench.
Re: What tool am I looking for to help me with wiring? [Re: HealthServices] #363497
07/01/09 02:26 PM
07/01/09 02:26 PM
Wichita,KS
B
Blakcharger440 Offline OP
top fuel
Blakcharger440  Offline OP
top fuel
B

Wichita,KS
Well, I dont know if I am using this cheapy multimeter correctly but it does not seem to be of any help.

When I connect at one end of a wire and then touch the probe at what I think is the other end of that same wire it gives me a reading....but it also gives me a reading even if I touch other wires at that same connection or even if I touch the body of the car with that same probe..

I am probably not using it correctly. Geeez! Electrical stuff really get me all worked up.

Re: What tool am I looking for to help me with wiring? [Re: Blakcharger440] #363498
07/01/09 02:29 PM
07/01/09 02:29 PM
So Cal
HealthServices Offline
HealthServices  Offline

So Cal

Allen Here's a novel idea, let's not throw a bunch of parts at the car hoping it will fix the problem and instead spend a little time diagnosing it first. Life was a little easier when I was just a wrench.
Re: What tool am I looking for to help me with wiring? [Re: HealthServices] #363499
07/01/09 02:50 PM
07/01/09 02:50 PM
So Cal
HealthServices Offline
HealthServices  Offline

So Cal
Also remember there are a couple of plug-ins for the test leads. Make sure you have the correct lead in the correct hole.

This thing is neat, to see if you know what do when using the meter.

http://www.umd.umich.edu/casl/natsci/slc/slconline/IDIG/DigiMeter.htm

Re: What tool am I looking for to help me with wiring? [Re: Blakcharger440] #363500
07/01/09 03:00 PM
07/01/09 03:00 PM
Looking for a way out of Middl...
IMGTX Offline
I Live Here
IMGTX  Offline
I Live Here

Looking for a way out of Middl...

Don't let it get to you, you can do this, you just need a little practice.

Quote:

When I connect at one end of a wire and then touch the probe at what I think is the other end of that same wire it gives me a reading....but it also gives me a reading even if I touch other wires at that same connection or even if I touch the body of the car with that same probe..

The problem with electricity is that it is invisible and flows anywhere it can.

For example if you are testing a brake light wire and you have a bulb in the socket on the other side of the car that bulb allows electricity to travel from the wire you are on through the bulb to ground on the body. You will get readings of continuity on the brake light wires, the body and anything that completes a circuit with the body ground which can be anything.

It really helps if you have a wiring diagram. Look the diagram over and see where the electricity should flow and where it may flow to.

Also if you give specifics on which circuit you are trying to fix often we can give you more specific directions.

Checking for continuity is helpful many times but you will also want to check for voltage. IT is easier to do anyway. For example to test the brake lights:
1. Check for battery voltage (test lights are great for this).
2. Check for voltage along the harness until it reaches the brake switch. Fusible link, bulkhead connector, fuse block, switch.
3. Depress the brake pedal and check the other side of the switch for voltage.
4. Work your way down the harness checking each connector until you reach the bulb.

If you run into a spot where you should have electricity and don't you know you have a problem between A & B.

This is why you need a good diagram and know how to read it.

What year and model of car are you working on?

Re: What tool am I looking for to help me with wiring? [Re: IMGTX] #363501
07/01/09 04:33 PM
07/01/09 04:33 PM
Today? Who Knows?
1_WILD_RT Offline
Management Trainee
1_WILD_RT  Offline
Management Trainee

Today? Who Knows?
Quote:

The problem with electricity is that it is invisible and flows anywhere it can.

Electricity isn't really invisable... It is semi-transparent grey... When ever it can escape from those darn wires....

Cause as everyone knows electricity basically consists of magic smoke.. & as long as you kept the smoke inside the wires everything is gonna be ok...

BTW The Diode test function of a DMM typically beeps..

A DMM is a Digtal Multi Meter which is what everyone is actually talking about.. A DVM is a Digtal Volt Meter & wouldn't have an Ohm fuction...Only a Voltmeter...

An on your DMM look for Ω to symbolize Ohms... Or go here for more info...
http://mechatronics.mech.northwestern.edu/design_ref/tools/multimeter.html

Re: What tool am I looking for to help me with wiring? [Re: HealthServices] #363502
07/02/09 12:28 AM
07/02/09 12:28 AM
So Cal
HealthServices Offline
HealthServices  Offline

So Cal
For example If I was working on a 70 Charger and wiring a MSD ignition I would trace out all the wires nec to do the job. In this case after I color the wires, I can see that the wires I need are the Dark Blue with the white tracer and the Brown wire.

From one of the post here (today) I read that I need the Brown wire and the Blue wire with the white tracer connected together if I remove the resister. I then connect this to the small wire on the MSD unit

If I did not want to remove the resistor I could just hook the small red wire up to the Blue wire that leads to the coil.

If I did not want to wire it at the resistor I can find the same wires in the middle connector at the firewall.

If I wanted to put it inside I would follow the same two wires at the bulkhead to the inside of the and tap the wires there.

click the link to see a bigger pic click again to see even bigger.

Sounds really hard but if you do it a step at a time it is not hard at all.

Re: What tool am I looking for to help me with wiring? [Re: HealthServices] #363503
07/02/09 12:47 AM
07/02/09 12:47 AM
Renton, WA
G
GreenBlurr Offline
super gas
GreenBlurr  Offline
super gas
G

Renton, WA
So no one though to make the point that if the poster does not know what a multimeter is, does , or how one works; they shouldn't be toutching any car's wiring?

Not to mention that they mentioned it as frustrating the heck out of them?

Think about it guys.

You sir, for you and your car's own good, should have someone experienced and knowledgable about such things working on the wiring.

There's the answer to your question.

Re: What tool am I looking for to help me with wiring? [Re: GreenBlurr] #363504
07/02/09 02:44 AM
07/02/09 02:44 AM
So Cal
HealthServices Offline
HealthServices  Offline

So Cal
Boy Mike you just have a way with words...

We all have to start somewhere.

Asking for help is the first step.

Knowing when to say 'when' is another,

but you have to start somewhere first.

Re: What tool am I looking for to help me with wiring? [Re: HealthServices] #363505
07/02/09 03:01 AM
07/02/09 03:01 AM
None
71rm23 Offline
master
71rm23  Offline
master

None
Quote:

Also remember there are a couple of plug-ins for the test leads. Make sure you have the correct lead in the correct hole.

This thing is neat, to see if you know what do when using the meter.

http://www.umd.umich.edu/casl/natsci/slc/slconline/IDIG/DigiMeter.htm

NEAT web sit healthservices. Very helpful

Page 2 of 2 1 2