Ohio
J
jensenguy Offline OP
enthusiast
jensenguy  Offline OP
enthusiast
J

Ohio
Im working on wiring up the alternator to my 440. I believe it is a 60amp (the smaller one) dual field. I think its from a 73 demon or something like that. The wires in my car arent the standard blue and green (big suprise right!) so Im trying to figure out which wires go where.

I have a white wire that goes to the regulator, and I have a heavy brown wire that loops directly to the Battery connection on the alternator.

I can figure that the green wire should go to the white wire. But all the diagrams I see are saying that the blue wire should be Ignition On voltage. Will that work if I hook that directly to battery voltage like it was previously wired? I really dont see why it wouldnt.

And for my final question, can someone tell me which leads on the back of the alternator go to green and blue? Ive found conflicting stories on the internet so Im really unsure now.

thanks!

Re: alternator wiring questions [Re: jensenguy] #359847
06/27/09 05:50 PM
06/27/09 05:50 PM
Rio Linda, CA
John_Kunkel Offline
Too Many Posts
John_Kunkel  Offline
Too Many Posts

Rio Linda, CA
If one of the field wires is wired directly to the battery you'll wind up with as dead battery, the field needs to be energized by the ignition switch.

Either field wire can be attached to either field terminal on the alternator, makes no difference.

The INTERNET, the MISinformation superhighway
Re: alternator wiring questions [Re: jensenguy] #359848
06/27/09 06:41 PM
06/27/09 06:41 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Im working on wiring up the alternator to my 440. I believe it is a 60amp (the smaller one) dual field. I think its from a 73 demon or something like that. The wires in my car arent the standard blue and green (big suprise right!) so Im trying to figure out which wires go where.

I have a white wire that goes to the regulator, and I have a heavy brown wire that loops directly to the Battery connection on the alternator.

I can figure that the green wire should go to the white wire. But all the diagrams I see are saying that the blue wire should be Ignition On voltage. Will that work if I hook that directly to battery voltage like it was previously wired? I really dont see why it wouldnt.

And for my final question, can someone tell me which leads on the back of the alternator go to green and blue? Ive found conflicting stories on the internet so Im really unsure now.

thanks!

WHAT A MESS

FIRST What kind (as in year/ model) is your car?

SECOND Why DOESN'T it have standard wire colors? Have you re--wired it?

THIRD WHAT year is the regulator, THAT IS are you using a 69 and earlier, or the 70 and later????????????????????????????????????

Re: alternator wiring questions #359849
06/27/09 07:02 PM
06/27/09 07:02 PM
Ohio
J
jensenguy Offline OP
enthusiast
jensenguy  Offline OP
enthusiast
J

Ohio
thanks john, I'll break down and do some digging and find the correct ignition voltage then.

And sixpack -I know its a mess you dont have to tell me! Its on a Jensen Interceptor. Thats why I was trying to only ask about the alternator connections, Ill have to decipher the rest of the circuits myself. But it sounds like John pretty much answered my questions.

thanks for the help!